AVS Forum banner

3041 - 3060 of 3060 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Does anyone run a Darbie with this projector? I had it working with my old Emotiva Pre/pro. When I switched to a 4k pre/pro I could not get it to work. I can't remember the trick. I'm running a Denon now.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Thank you for your replies. So as long as I use SDR2020 through Panasonic 420 tone mapping and BT2020 color mode on the projector I will have DI enable but if I want to use the HDR mode I still need a linker to enable the HDR flag and let the DI work, correct? Thank you!

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
Thank you for your replies. So as long as I use SDR2020 through Panasonic 420 tone mapping and BT2020 color mode on the projector I will have DI enable but if I want to use the HDR mode I still need a linker to enable the HDR flag and let the DI work, correct? Thank you!
You need a linker to disable the HDR flag to let the DI work.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Yes thank you Dominic. I have a linker and already set to disable the HDR flag. I need only a good second HDMI cable to try it. I am curious about the difference with or without DI. Do you think it will be noticeable? I have to admit that I prefer in the end the HDR mode with the settings you suggested for picture tone black and bright level for 1000 nits and after adjusting the contrast and brightness to that reference the picture quality looks to me more ‘pop’ and with better dynamic than the SDR2020 which is very very similar but slightly flatter, at least to my eyes and in my environment

·
Registered
528 Posts
Hi everyone a little question. After calibrated the pj in BT2020 and gamma 2.4 with the Panasonic player output SDR2020 conversion I tried a calibration for the HDR picture mode but I found myself in confusion. I needed to adjust the color management when calibrating HDR mode but I didn’t want to touch it because it belongs to the BT2020 color profile which is shared with all picture modes. So is there any way to have two different settings for the color management when BT2020 is the color profile and User 1 and HDR are the picture modes ? Thank you very much

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
Hi everyone a little question. After calibrated the pj in BT2020 and gamma 2.4 with the Panasonic player output SDR2020 conversion I tried a calibration for the HDR picture mode but I found myself in confusion. I needed to adjust the color management when calibrating HDR mode but I didn’t want to touch it because it belongs to the BT2020 color profile which is shared with all picture modes. So is there any way to have two different settings for the color management when BT2020 is the color profile and User 1 and HDR are the picture modes ? Thank you very much
IIRC two picture modes (e.g., User 1 and HDR) can have independent settings for CMS ON/OFF, even if they share the same colour profile. If that doesn’t work you can create a custom profile based on BT.2020, and adjust CMS for that profile.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Right! I can include BT2020 in a custom profile. Thank you Dominic. Well I will try tonight to adjust the color management. I take the opportunity to ask about the grayscale in HDR mode calibration. I struggled a lot to have low errors but except for the range 70-100% the lower ire shows quite significant errors. And looking at the luminance graphic I realize why. Is there a suggested approach to a ‘correct’ grayscale process? I feel really uncomfortable in asking that but I am really dealing with my first amateur attempt to calibrate HDR mode. Thank you very much

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hello there - how accurate are the guidelines for this projector's throw range of minimum 1.4x the image width? I'm trying to get to a 110 inch screen width but am struggling to get the required 13 feet.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Hello there - how accurate are the guidelines for this projector's throw range of minimum 1.4x the image width? I'm trying to get to a 110 inch screen width but am struggling to get the required 13 feet.
JVC usually allows a +/- 5% allowance for their guidelines, so if anything, I would assume a worst case and make sure you have enough throw distance if it's a little under-spec.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Does anyone else get a reduction in resolution (especially evident in text) when activating low latency mode with a 4k source? I do not see much of a difference toggling low latency mode with a 1080p source with eshift on and the projector in 4k mode. I just recently discovered this after getting Spears and Munsil's 4k disk and seeing some image degredation in some of the test screens (contrast screen with numbered plates). I then hooked a 4k laptop up and saw the same thing, 4k desktop with low latency looks worse than 1080p desktop with low latency (both eshift is active). I tried several HDMI cords, all rated 18GBps.

Is this normal? This isn't a problem for movies, but desktop use in 4k and 4k gaming would have this problem. For background I have an RS420 that I purchased in late 2017. It was fixed for the CMD issue before I bought it, but I don't think the ghosting issue was know at that time. I don't appear to have image ghosting, but I'm not sure if this is some kind of artifact of that or not.

·
Registered
528 Posts
So I decided to buy a 120” screen Silver Ticket brand 1.1 gain white. My x570 has a genuine JVC lamp with only 260 hours on it. I calibrated it last night and with lens fully open high lamp mode I can get only 85 nits for HDR. Is that a proper performance? I was hoping to get almost 100 nits. Please let me know your thoughts and share your experiences. Thank you very much

3041 - 3060 of 3060 Posts