AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 3114 Posts

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
No such thing as a perfect product that's for sure....
I certainly don't mean to belittle those that find it distracting because we all have things that bother us...I mean I'm still obsessing over the motion settings having come from a Sony...But to ME the banding with CMD is a 'first world problem'. But I'm glad it was discussed with examples provided so I could decide if it was a trade off I'm willing to make.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,936 Posts
Regarding banding...

I can't remember what thread mentioned it but someone posted that a good test was the finale of Skyfall with all the fire in the background. It was even mentioned that toggling CMD when paused made it very apparent...You didn't have to watch it in motion.

So I ran that test. And yes I can see it. But frankly it's very subtle IMO.

Of course it should be said that my screen isn't completely uniform and that is evident with sky pans etc so maybe I'm just used to a similar artifact.
All HT problems are first world problems. ;) Having said that, like any video related issue its subjective how big of an issue it is depending on who you ask. Thanks for confirming you see it though and hopefully this can be fixed, preferably with a FW update (wishful thinking probably).

·
Registered
168 Posts
Noob question. My 420 is installed on a shelf and I have maxed out the shift range. Can I raise the back of the projector up to lower the image or do I need to keep it level so no keystone adjustment is needed?
keystone will always be recommended to not be used as it can effect image quality. It should be the last option really.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
keystone will always be recommended to not be used as it can effect image quality. It should be the last option really.
Ya I don't want to use keystone, was just wondering if raising the back of the projector to get my image lower would make the use of keystone necessary. This is my first time installing a projector correctly.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My (very) mini review...I got my 420 installed over the weekend with a little trouble and have about 7 hours on the bulb now. The trouble started when no picture was presented even when I was sending 1080i to the projector, assumed I needed a new HDMI run and something with the HDCP 2.2 in the AVR and the existing HMDI run was to blame. No problems with that cable and the 4910. I needed a 24 footer that had to be run in the wall. The cable came from BestBuy, paid to much, but wasn't about to wait the rest of the weekend and early next week for something from amazon. I wanted that bad boy up and running. :laugh:
Tested the new cable and I was good to go and got it run in the wall. I'm moving from a 4910. First reaction was WOW, this projector is much brighter than my 4910, even in low lamp auto 2 and iris set -15. I then started to notice, it appears a little sharper, at least to my eye, must be the eShift 4 compared to the 4910's eShift 3, nice change. I played some Infamous First Light on PS4 Pro, very cool looking HDR with the neon lights. Then played some Rise of the Tomb Raider...no HDR, but supports 4k resolution, very sharp looking. Playing games on a 4910 was OK, I got used to the lag...The low lag mode is a dramatic difference on the 420, and is now my favorite feature of the new projector....worlds better. I watched The Accountant in 4k HDR Blu Ray, was not that impressed. Maybe not that great of a 4k example. Any recommendations? Highlights were great, black level was raised too much. JVC just needs to get the DI working with HDR. 1080p looks great and again, appears sharper. Overall I'm enjoying the projector. :)

·
Registered
DIYSG HT-12’s & Volt 6’s, Dayton UM18-22 subs, Arcam AV40, Outlaw 7140, Outlaw 7075, JVC NX5
295 Posts
BMac1203 - are you using this projector with an ALR screen? I have a Dark Energy Abyss 0.9 ALR screen on its way and am really torn trying to decide between the Epson 5040 and this JVC RS420. Only concern about the JVC is the lower lumen output on this screen.
Currently projecting onto BOC from Joanne's w/black felt tape edge from Carl's (see attached pic of my DIY 92" screen).

I'm used to a hand me down Optoma HD180 w/~400hr on the bulb, which is supposedly 1700 lumens, but I doubt that.

I saw the Epson 6040 & JVC RS400 side-by-side and the Epson is definitely a bit brighter, but from what I understand once they're calibrated it's a little dimmer?

I preferred the image from the JVC at the store - then went home and purchased the 2017 model :)

Attachments

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
All HT problems are first world problems. ;) Having said that, like any video related issue its subjective how big of an issue it is depending on who you ask. Thanks for confirming you see it though and hopefully this can be fixed, preferably with a FW update (wishful thinking probably).
The plot thickens. My wife and I just watched The Arrival (via Blu-ray instead of 4K due to audio sync issues on the Oppo..It's going back tomorrow via an RMA) and the banding was very evident in that film. So I may be back to getting used to the poor native motion resolution with all the smoothing enhancements turned off. Which is a bit of a shame because I like a touch of smoothing. I may need to revisit ripping my Blu-ray collection and using SVP via a HTPC to get around the CMD limitations. I also don't expect a fix from JVC. What a PITA.

·
Registered
16,936 Posts
The plot thickens. My wife and I just watched The Arrival (via Blu-ray instead of 4K due to audio sync issues on the Oppo..It's going back tomorrow via an RMA) and the banding was very evident in that film. So I may be back to getting used to the poor native motion resolution with all the smoothing enhancements turned off. Which is a bit of a shame because I like a touch of smoothing. I may need to revisit ripping my Blu-ray collection and using SVP via a HTPC to get around the CMD limitations. I also don't expect a fix from JVC. What a PITA.
This echoes my experience so far as well and it stinks because you just don't know how often the banding will pop up for any given film. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I watched Lego movie all the way through Fri night and the banding popped up enough to put a damper on the experience and next watch I will definitely be turning CMD off which is a shame because I really like the added smoothness this brings to the motion (for animated movies and 3d).

On the flip side I watched Lichtmond 1 in 3d Sun and didn't see banding once and it was excellent. Problem is you just never know until you try it.

Really hoping for a fix, but not holding my breath of course.

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
This echoes my experience so far as well and it stinks because you just don't know how often the banding will pop up for any given film. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I watched Lego movie all the way through Fri night and the banding popped up enough to put a damper on the experience and next watch I will definitely be turning CMD off which is a shame because I really like the added smoothness this brings to the motion.

On the flip side I watched Lichtmond 1 in 3d Sun and didn't see banding once and it was excellent. Problem is you just never know until you try it.

Really hoping for a fix, but not holding my breath of course.
I'm watching Elysium now (I actually like that movie and the space scenes look great on the JVC) with CMD on low and Motion Enhance entirely off (and if it matters EShift is back on unlike when we watched the film earlier). It's too early to tell for sure but my gut impression is that it lessens the banding. I'll have to test with The Arrival again but it's getting late so that might not happen until tomorrow. It could just be the difference in transfer quality drawing my eye. Elysium is a pretty vibrant film while the artistic choices in The Arrival don't exactly make it a demo disc.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Regarding banding...

I can't remember what thread mentioned it but someone posted that a good test was the finale of Skyfall with all the fire in the background. It was even mentioned that toggling CMD when paused made it very apparent...You didn't have to watch it in motion.

So I ran that test. And yes I can see it. But frankly it's very subtle IMO.

Of course it should be said that my screen isn't completely uniform and that is evident with sky pans etc so maybe I'm just used to a similar artifact.
Do you think you could post some pics of both states (before and after CMD)? I know I'd really appreciate it as I was convinced this was the projector for me... after watching this thread for a week or so now, I'm not so sure.

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Do you think you could post some pics of both states (before and after CMD)? I know I'd really appreciate it as I was convinced this was the projector for me... after watching this thread for a week or so now, I'm not so sure.
Unfortunately I'm not so sure it would show up well in pictures. I'll see what I can do.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Unfortunately I'm not so sure it would show up well in pictures. I'll see what I can do.

Thank you...

Stupid question... but is there any chance the banding is due to the player or combination of the BD player and the projector?

·
Registered
16,936 Posts
Thank you...

Stupid question... but is there any chance the banding is due to the player or combination of the BD player and the projector?
No, the banding has been here since the models before the 400/500/600 from my reading. I have used the same player (Oppo 93) with 3 projectors (RS40, RS45 and benq 7000) prior to this with no CMD banding issues.

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Thank you...

Certain combinations might mitigate it but I doubt hardware interaction causes it since quite a few reviews mention it.

I'm still conflicted about how I feel about it. Is it there under some circumstances? Yes. Should JVC try to get simple things like this corrected at this price point? Probably. But as far as artifacts go I've seen worse.

If the projector otherwise checks a lot of boxes I'd keep it on your short list.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If the projector otherwise checks a lot of boxes I'd keep it on your short list.
It certainly does... but is there anything more frustrating than watching a kick-ass movie only to have audio drop or frame stutter... let alone banding? :)

Appreciate the input!

·
Registered
16,936 Posts
Certain combinations might mitigate it but I doubt hardware interaction causes it since quite a few reviews mention it.

I'm still conflicted about how I feel about it. Is it there under some circumstances? Yes. Should JVC try to get simple things like this corrected at this price point? Probably. But as far as artifacts go I've seen worse.

There's no probably about it for me. This should absolutely be fixed and hopefully can be fixed with a FW update with these models. This is a step backward from the 45 and 40 that I owned which did not have banding, so why is it now there? Every time it pops up it takes me back to the 720p lcd projector vertical banding days with the Sanyo Z3 and Panasonic AE900

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
I'm back to investigating SVP on my HTPC. Just need to determine if all the effort is worth it.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Are these projectors 10-bit or 12-bit. I thought 12. The reported banding is surprising.

I would like to purchase a JVC but I am hoping for Dolby Vision support in the near future.

61 - 80 of 3114 Posts