AVS Forum banner

1401 - 1420 of 3060 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
If I was buying a player today I would get the Panasonic ub200. I have the OPPO and it still has a problem with crushing blacks when converting HDR to SDR and the Panasonic does have some apps on it. It’s also 250 dollars instead of 550. The Panasonic also has a feature to boost the dark scenes in movies without raising the black level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
I actually keep high lamp mode off and turn gamma settings to Tone +4, dark level +2, bright level 0. Picture looks the same as high lamp with all set to 0 on my screen.

Anyone find fault in that logic btw?

The 203 is my go to, got a 4tb hard drive on it, it?s an excellent media player. Plays just about anything. Need to get the Fire Stick on the input now.
I thought that the high lamp mode is always on if you're in HDR mode? I've been wrong before though.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
But don't you need that extra brightness to reproduce HDR?....Even with it on, it still seems too dark to me

That depends on your screen size, screen gain, and the movie that you are watching.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Oh, speaking of low/high lamp mode. And please educate me here, as my old JVC had only one menu, and it seems I have to push 'advanced menu' to get to the lamp power....is there a way to control the lamp high/low on the regular menu, or is it just in the advanced menu?
I am not at home, but I thought that if you hit the HDR button on the remote, that the 420 went into HDR mode with high lamp mode. Will check tonight.

·
Registered
28,769 Posts
But don't you need that extra brightness to reproduce HDR?....Even with it on, it still seems too dark to me
On most any screen HDR will look better in high lamp. You just have to decide if it looks enough better to put up with the added fan noise and extra wear and tear on the lamp.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does anyone have issues using this projector with long HDMI cables ?

When using a 2 meter HDMI cable plugged into my reciever then fed into projector in the right hand corner it will show (4k/60).

But when I run a 10 meter cable it won’t show anything unless I take it out plug it into HDMI 2 and set the edid to B then it will only show 1080/60

Iv tried running cable straight from projector to PS4 and it still won’t work it’s frustrating the hell out of me. Why won’t it accept long HDMI cables I even tried fibre optic hdmi to no avail !!!!

·
Registered
116 Posts

When using a 2 meter HDMI cable plugged into my reciever then fed into projector in the right hand corner it will show (4k/60).

But when I run a 10 meter cable it won’t show anything unless I take it out plug it into HDMI 2 and set the edid to B then it will only show 1080/60

Iv tried running cable straight from projector to PS4 and it still won’t work it’s frustrating the hell out of me. Why won’t it accept long HDMI cables I even tried fibre optic hdmi to no avail !!!!

Oh yeah!...my installer tried 2 cables and a Cat5 with the related amplifiers, He finally sourced a just barely long enough 25 foot cable but I had to move my player away from my other sound gear. This new one didn't even carry HDR or a 444 colour gamut. All of the cables were supposed to be spec'd to be able to do a 4K HDR signal but the last one they tried worked the best. I ended up buying a 20 dollar repeater from Amazon and now I'm getting the full 4K signal. HDR still looks to dark for my eye (I'm thinking it's no wonder as I've got the OPPO player set for a target of 100 NITS and I see most flat panel displays do 700 or so NITS) I'd suggest you check the specs of the cable's data transfer first and then maybe consider a repeater.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi guys, I just set this projector up and I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on an issue. I'm using an Xbox for the 4k blu ray hooked directly up to the projector and I have most of the settings in auto or default. I noticed when you play a 4k disc the projector switches over to the default HDR setting and the projector goes into high lamp. And for regular Blu-ray I have it set up in cinema and the regular Blu-ray looks much better than the 4K version its brighter, better colors, and all around much better picture am I doing something wrong or basically HDR 4K needs a lot of adjustment to make it look good?
Is it a 4K HDR disc?
Take a picture of the JVC info screen.
It is definitely a 4K disc, Guardians of the Galaxy 2. I will take a picture of this weekend
This is a shot with the 4k disc

Attachments

·
Registered
3,976 Posts

ThanosIG,
I am using the RUIPRO 33 FT cable with this. I had issues with blank screen with other cables, but that RUIPRO did the trick, and has been working perfect since;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XGDFCSC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
192 Posts

I'm using this from Monoprice with no issues with 4K UHD HDR (Sony X800>Denon 4300>RS420) at 35ft. https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1025503&p_id=14133&seq=1&format=2
DynamicView Active High Speed HDMI Cable, 4K, HDR, 18Gbps, 28AWG, CL2, 35ft, Black

·
Premium Member
223 Posts

I have a 35ft cable and it works with AppleTv 4K. My PS4 Pro won’t work connected directly but works through the Marantz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
71 Posts
Does anyone know what size bolts are used to mount the JVC? I have a universal mount that I used with an Epson 5040ub. Im fairly sure it will work if I order the correct size bolts/screws. I think I found M5 is the correct size, but can anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Oh yeah!...my installer tried 2 cables and a Cat5 with the related amplifiers, He finally sourced a just barely long enough 25 foot cable but I had to move my player away from my other sound gear. This new one didn't even carry HDR or a 444 colour gamut. All of the cables were supposed to be spec'd to be able to do a 4K HDR signal but the last one they tried worked the best. I ended up buying a 20 dollar repeater from Amazon and now I'm getting the full 4K signal. HDR still looks to dark for my eye (I'm thinking it's no wonder as I've got the OPPO player set for a target of 100 NITS and I see most flat panel displays do 700 or so NITS) I'd suggest you check the specs of the cable's data transfer first and then maybe consider a repeater.
I am using a celerity 40ft. cable. I have have been using since may when I got the projector and so far no issues with it. I have the celerity able coming from Yamaha receiver to projector.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I am using a celerity 40ft. cable. I have have been using since may when I got the projector and so far no issues with it. I have the celerity able coming from Yamaha receiver to projector.
I still have the original 40ft. cable in the run that the installer left. I'll have to try it out sometime with the repeater on it and see if it works. When I tried it before, using a Samsung 9500 player, I couldn't even get a full 4k picture with just the cable.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I still have the original 40ft. cable in the run that the installer left. I'll have to try it out sometime with the repeater on it and see if it works. When I tried it before, using a Samsung 9500 player, I couldn't even get a full 4k picture with just the cable.
seems from reading around different threads the the top three for long runs are the celerity, RUIPRO and monoprice slim run. I also use the mono price premium certified cable for shorter runs for sony4k player and roku to receiver.

1401 - 1420 of 3060 Posts