AVS Forum banner

1441 - 1460 of 3060 Posts

·
Registered
11,402 Posts
I'm about to pull the trigger on ordering a Silver Ticket 138" 2.35:1 screen to pair with the JVC RS420 projector. The screen will be in a light controlled room. Which version of the screen should I go for? Grey or white? I don't need an AT screen.

STR-235138-G - Grey Material - 1.0 gain
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I4WT2A0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A330XBNPFIPBVL&psc=1

STR-235138 - White Material - 1.1 gain
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I4WSZYE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A330XBNPFIPBVL&psc=1

Thoughts?
If you have light control I would get the white screen.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm about to pull the trigger on ordering a Silver Ticket 138" 2.35:1 screen to pair with the JVC RS420 projector. The screen will be in a light controlled room. Which version of the screen should I go for? Grey or white? I don't need an AT screen.

STR-235138-G - Grey Material - 1.0 gain
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I4WT2A0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A330XBNPFIPBVL&psc=1

STR-235138 - White Material - 1.1 gain
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I4WSZYE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A330XBNPFIPBVL&psc=1

Thoughts?
I'm currently using the Silver Ticket 125" 2.35:1 in white with 1.1 gain in a mostly light controlled room. The screen was very easy to assemble and looks great. I have not compared the white to the grey so I'm afraid that I can't comment on the difference. I assume that you saw this on Silver Ticket's site:

https://www.silverticketproducts.com/pages/how-do-i-choose-between-white-and-grey

There's also this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-screens/2882489-white-grey-silver-ticket-screen.html

IMHO, the Silver Ticket screens are a great value.

·
Registered
477 Posts
A couple of questions:

1. Is it possible to do a 10 point grayscale adjustment on the DLA RS420r? I see lots of controls but none for adjustments for each %gray.

2. Whenever I turn the projector on and go to Information it always says HDR - Yes. Even when there is no 4k/HDR material projecting. I use Windows 10 with AMD RX 580. I do not use the Windows HDR setting. I thought the projector recognizes when the ingress signal contains HDR and changes the profile automatically...

Thx

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm currently using the Silver Ticket 125" 2.35:1 in white with 1.1 gain in a mostly light controlled room. The screen was very easy to assemble and looks great. I have not compared the white to the grey so I'm afraid that I can't comment on the difference. I assume that you saw this on Silver Ticket's site:

https://www.silverticketproducts.com/pages/how-do-i-choose-between-white-and-grey

There's also this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-screens/2882489-white-grey-silver-ticket-screen.html

IMHO, the Silver Ticket screens are a great value.
Thanks for the feedback. I will go with the white screen to pair w/ the JVC projector.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I got the JVC DLAX570 r hooked up last night and played around with it. Basement isn't finished yet so I was just using it in the dining room lol. Any tips on the picture setup as far as best picture quality? The zoom and focus were easy! I really need to get some speaker and sub wire tonight on my way home so can have sound. What gauge wire and type should I get? I have the polk audio t50 speakers and sub with a Yamaha 770 receiver.

Thanks,

·
Registered
838 Posts
Hey all -

I apologize as this is likely asked elsewhere (I'm slowly working my way through this thread).

I'm currently in a dilemma between a JVC 420 and the Epson 5040UBE (wireless version). I'm currently wireless right now with my Epson 5020 so will have to run a 40-50 foot fiber cable for the JVC.

While I believe I understand the Pros and Cons of the JVC vs. the Epson, what I'm having a hard time grasping are the Pros and Cons vs. the 420 and the 520 (other than price of course).

The 420 cannot do the P3 DCI color space and the 520 (and the Epson) can. What does this "lose" in terms of HDR? I certainly do not have the money for a 520 (even the excellent price I was quoted for a B-Stock), so it is really down to a 420 and the Epson...or I continue to wait.

Again, apologies for asking a likely answered questions.

·
Registered
28,836 Posts
Hey all -

I apologize as this is likely asked elsewhere (I'm slowly working my way through this thread).

I'm currently in a dilemma between a JVC 420 and the Epson 5040UBE (wireless version). I'm currently wireless right now with my Epson 5020 so will have to run a 40-50 foot fiber cable for the JVC.

While I believe I understand the Pros and Cons of the JVC vs. the Epson, what I'm having a hard time grasping are the Pros and Cons vs. the 420 and the 520 (other than price of course).

The 420 cannot do the P3 DCI color space and the 520 (and the Epson) can. What does this "lose" in terms of HDR? I certainly do not have the money for a 520 (even the excellent price I was quoted for a B-Stock), so it is really down to a 420 and the Epson...or I continue to wait.

The 540UBe will be going on sale very soon. Also the 5040 does have the DCI P3 filter, but only about 700 lumens when engaged, so not real useful.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Hey all -

I haven't seen the Epson in action, and I do own the JVC X570R. There were a few members in here that owned the Epson, and returned it for the JVC. Same kinda response in the B&M stores (magnolia), surprisingly. If black levels and crazy contrast is your thing, then I wouldn't look too much further than the 420/570. Bang-Per-Buck is super good, if you can still find one on closeout. ALSO TO NOTE> Epson is a standard LCD-Based Projector, and given that, the optics in the machine are NOT SEALED. LCOS (and Sony's SXRD) are sealed by design, which gives me the peace-of-mind of not getting dust in the light path, AKA---Dust Blobs...But if you want to 'audition' an Epson, please do! I owned an Epson 1080UB Pro, and even in its' day, it was 'so-so'....I'm sure there is no comparison between that and the new stuff these days though. Just typing away here, as I know how to type, lol...Good Morning Everyone ;)

·
Registered
838 Posts
The 540UBe will be going on sale very soon. Also the 5040 does have the DCI P3 filter, but only about 700 lumens when engaged, so not real useful.

Hey Mike...interesting....that sure makes it an even more difficult decision.

If the 5040 sale price is similar to when the last time it went on sale...that’s going to be hard to pass up.

If I end up waiting though...the 420s may not be available any longer.

Decisions...decisions....

Thanks for the info. Sounds like P3 is useless on the Epson so it’s even more of an apples to apples comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
A couple of questions:

1. Is it possible to do a 10 point grayscale adjustment on the DLA RS420r? I see lots of controls but none for adjustments for each %gray.
It is, but you have to use the autocal software (you don't have to do an autocal) to create a custom gamma with the adjustments. Though you're better off doing an autocal to correct grayscale.

2. Whenever I turn the projector on and go to Information it always says HDR - Yes. Even when there is no 4k/HDR material projecting. I use Windows 10 with AMD RX 580. I do not use the Windows HDR setting. I thought the projector recognizes when the ingress signal contains HDR and changes the profile automatically...
Sounds to me like the PC is sending the wrong metadata, or the projector's reading it wrong.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Even though the RS420/RS400 doesn't have the color filter, it still covers around 95% of the DCI P3 color gamut (according to a few professional reviews I've read such as AVForums below).

"As you can see the X5000 actually tracks DCI-P3 within Rec. 2020 very well in the BT2020 Colour Profile and it also covers the majority of DCI-P3. We measured the X5000 at 95.6% of DCI-P3 using the 'xy' coordinates and 99.8% using the 'uv' coordinates, which were both excellent results. So the X5000 should be able to deliver accurate colours when it comes to HDR content like Ultra HD Blu-ray.”

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I can confirm. The filter on the 5040 drops lumen output so much that it is not viable. Most of us 5040 owners are using Bright Cinema or other settings with higher output when viewing UHD HDR. The only reason I bought a 5040 in the first place was the input lag vs the RS400 at the time. Now that it isn't an issue w/ the RS420, I just joined the RS420 ranks thanks to a great deal from Mike! I'm looking forward to getting this thing installed.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
I wondering if it's at all possible to add a DCI P3 Filter on the outside of the projector lens...??? Probably a good question, but wondering if there are more things involved than just throwing a filter like this on the 420/570?....I'm guessing JVC is pretty quiet on this subject?

·
Registered
838 Posts
I can confirm. The filter on the 5040 drops lumen output so much that it is not viable. Most of us 5040 owners are using Bright Cinema or other settings with higher output when viewing UHD HDR. The only reason I bought a 5040 in the first place was the input lag vs the RS400 at the time. Now that it isn't an issue w/ the RS420, I just joined the RS420 ranks thanks to a great deal from Mike! I'm looking forward to getting this thing installed.
You went from a 5040 to a 420?

wow, that’s sure a ringing endorsement!

I’ve made my mind up...now its a matter of biting the bullet, making my budget work before all the 420s are sold!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I wanted to stop by and give some praise to ChadB and his outstanding work on my RS420 yesterday. Thanks to his work, the RS420 is dialed in and the result is a vast improvement over my previous HD350.

In a bit of history really does repeat itself, my continued use of my Vutec Silverstar screen seems to have paid dividends with HDR and 3D. Chad was quite surprised when he finished calibrating my Rec 2020 settings and stated that I now have the brightest HDR projected image he's ever done... and that was with low lamp mode! Using that as a baseline, he did the same for 3D and came up with an incredibly bright calibrated image.

The SDR calibration was fantastic and incredibly bright, even with the iris all the way closed. Calibrated contrast without using the dynamic iris was higher than the rated spec at 45,000:1.

If you can tolerate the well documented Silverstar "grain" in the highlights (which have never really bothered me as I grew up looking at high gain cinema screens in theaters), having the insane gain screen may have come back in vogue until projected HDR can really up the brightness.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
I wanted to stop by and give some praise to ChadB and his outstanding work on my RS420 yesterday. Thanks to his work, the RS420 is dialed in and the result is a vast improvement over my previous HD350.

In a bit of history really does repeat itself, my continued use of my Vutec Silverstar screen seems to have paid dividends with HDR and 3D. Chad was quite surprised when he finished calibrating my Rec 2020 settings and stated that I now have the brightest HDR projected image he's ever done... and that was with low lamp mode! Using that as a baseline, he did the same for 3D and came up with an incredibly bright calibrated image.

The SDR calibration was fantastic and incredibly bright, even with the iris all the way closed. Calibrated contrast without using the dynamic iris was higher than the rated spec at 45,000:1.

If you can tolerate the well documented Silverstar "grain" in the highlights (which have never really bothered me as I grew up looking at high gain cinema screens in theaters), having the insane gain screen may have come back in vogue until projected HDR can really up the brightness.

Does he travel around or are you in his area?

·
Premium Member
223 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Guys/gals, need some help here. 100% going to pull the trigger next week on a JVC (hoping for a Black Friday Sale, but doubtful) and was certain it was going to be the RS420/X570, but my local dealer is getting the RS440/X590s in tomorrow. The price difference is negligible ($300CAD), not accounting for any Black Firday's deal of course, so the big question is what model do I go with? Though it's only $300, if it's not worth it then why would I pay the upcharge. I can use that $300 on something else in my system. Anyone have any insight on the newer model and what changes or improvements were made? Maybe the e-Shift5 is night and day from the 4, or the CMD issue is a non issue and the banding has been 100% resolved? Any experience with the new model or reviews are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
mvendetta,
I have the RS420 and love it! This JVC throws an excellent picture.
I did not have quite the deal that you have available, but if the RS440 was only $300 more than the RS420, that would have been a no brainer for me. Good luck with you decision.

1441 - 1460 of 3060 Posts