AVS Forum banner

1461 - 1480 of 3060 Posts

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
mvendetta,
I have the RS420 and love it! This JVC throws an excellent picture.
I did not have quite the deal that you have available, but if the RS440 was only $300 more than the RS420, that would have been a no brainer for me. Good luck with you decision.
I absolutely love my RS420, it's a MASSIVE improvement over the Benq W1070.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Seems like if you can afford it then $300 for the new model makes sense...if it was $500+, no...doesn’t seem worth it. At least to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have not had much luck getting a 4k disc to look good on this projector. I've just switched back to regular BluRay - even for teh few that I bough the 4k package.

This thread is huge. Does anyone have good numbers for 4k HDR that they like.

Also, I think I'm way out of the loop on this part - but isn't there some sort of dynamic iris on this model? I can't find it anywhere.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have not had much luck getting a 4k disc to look good on this projector. I've just switched back to regular BluRay - even for teh few that I bough the 4k package.

Also, I think I'm way out of the loop on this part - but isn't there some sort of dynamic iris on this model? I can't find it anywhere.
I can't get my HDR mode to look very good either so I just watch everything at 4K UHD 4:4:4 in Cinema mode...It all looks pretty darn good there.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts

You know, both of you (and many others, including me!) are in the same boat here. I have had some 'meh disappointing moments when I threw in some newly remastered 4K HDR movies. I think this particular projector doesn't handle the old movies very well (fifth element, dracula, starship troopers, etc). HOWEVER, I think the 420/570 handles NEW MOVIES IN HDR VERY WELL...for example 'The Martian' looks friken awesome when fiddled with...I just think JVC's recipe is pretty vague (at best) to achieve a simple PQ setting-solution for HDR.

WHAT I DO for say The Martian, is #1 put it in HDR Mode #2 Set Gamma to HDR 2084 (or 85, forgot). Now I'm not really sure what HDR 2084/85 is, but it works for the new films fantastically! #3 , turn down color and adjust for brightness/contrast. This has worked for me, most of the time, but I am also frustrated by the fact I have to manually calibrate for every UHD Disc I throw at it :( Does Chad B go to California by any chance! :eek: ;) good luck, play with the settings (and write them down) when you find that magic setting...

·
Registered
874 Posts
A question for anyone who?s performed an auto calibration on their unit.

Once you select your custom presets and run the calibration (color + gamma), do you simply import the new profiles that were just created by the auto process?

The manual goes into much greater detail within the color profiles and gamma, but I was wondering if that was necessary? Having no calibration experience, I was hoping to just run the auto calibration and then import results. Does that sound correct or am I way off.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Does Chad B go to California by any chance! ...

Chad is supposed to be coming to southern California in January as I am planning to have my pj calibrated by him. You should contact him via his website to get on his schedule.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Hi, KBMAN

Chad will be in northern CA starting Dec 8th.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I hooked up mine last night and discovered that my cable doesn't support 18Gbps so one of those Monoprice fiber HDMIs is on the way. I was still able to test 4K UHD. First impressions, the black level and overall contrast are a substantial improvement over a 5040UB. HDR is much improved out of the box. CMD even on low has too much "soap opera effect" and was promptly disabled. The input switching is painfully slow. The other thing I noticed is my room needs additional light treatment. The drop in contrast on bright scenes is jarring. I guess its time to finally open that can of worms. :eek:

·
Registered
192 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Has anyone here had an ISF calibration on their RS420's? If so, if you had a second chance, would you save your money and try to calibrate yourself? was it worth it?

And as far as a Chad B calibration works, how long would it stay 'calibrated', even If I moved to another home?

I’m sure it depends on your setup, but I had mine calibrated by Gregg Loewen of Lion Audio Video Consultants, and it was easily some of the best money that I have spent on my theatre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Has anyone here had an ISF calibration on their RS420's? If so, if you had a second chance, would you save your money and try to calibrate yourself? was it worth it?
And as far as a Chad B calibration works, how long would it stay 'calibrated', even If I moved to another home?
I calibrated mine myself and am very happy with the results. It took me A LOT of research and time, so if you are not comfortable with it or have the time a professional calibration would be worth it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Subjective questions yield subjective answers... but, here goes as someone who just had his RS420 receive some calibration love.

Out of the box, the image was decent; but, nowhere near accurate when compared to my calibrated HD350 it was replacing which using the DVDO Duo's auto calibration with Chromapure and some manual touch up gave great results.

When I picked up my RS420, I figured I would be able to simply fire up Chromapure and go to town the old fashioned way.

Unfortunately, JVC giveth and JVC taketh away.

With the HD350, I needed the DVDO Duo to control the color points and gamma. I figured that since JVC added calibration capabilities to their family of products, I would simply need to use their manual controls to do the calibration myself. As I quickly found out... in an effort to make things "easy" via their built in auto calibration, they took away the ability to easily directly control the projector via the built in menus. Instead, you need to use the auto calibration software to drive part of the process and the projector for other parts. I went ahead and picked up the not-so accurate Spyder to due the auto calibration that made things better; but, still weren't great.

I then factored in the little detail that using a front projector for HDR isn't really a science at this point and is more of an art in compromise. No front projector (or any device really) can fully hit the HDR specs, so it becomes a question of how best to use the total amount of light and saturation available. Lean too heavily towards hitting the details in the highlights and you sacrifice shadow detail. Go the opposite way and you end up with a loss in highlights. Then factor in that not all HDR content is authored the same way and hit the same light output specs.

Add on top of that the headache of repeating the calibration process for 3D and taking into account the changes in spectrum that occurs with the glasses in front of your eyes.

With all of the above in mind, I realized that even if I could do all the above - I was going to be leaving out the subjective parts of the process in getting HDR dialed in simply because I don't have enough experience to give me a great result. That's when I decided to find out if Chad B could stop by the house.

With his experience in not only ISF calibrations; but, with specifically the RS420 - he hit it out of the park with my setup. He got me a great image for SDR, HDR (with 3 custom gamma profiles to account for mastering variations), and 3D that take full advantage of my high gain Silverstar.

There is no way I could've come close to what he was able to come up with in any reasonable amount of time... and he took 6 hours! His ability to make adjustments via custom profiles that he generates via offsets to account for the subpar results from the needed Spyder alone would've taken me more time that what it would be worth as you have to feed in correction values to offset the meter that then have to be imported via the auto cal software. It's probably like trying to mix paint when you know the color values at your hardware store are inaccurate and you have to drive back and forth to the store each time you want to make an adjustment.

My 2 cents... pay the money and have it done right. Watch while it's done so you can learn the process. Even now that I know what to do... it's not worth me doing it on my own. If JVC gave us back direct control via the projector and/or use of an accurate meter, I would be up for the challenge. Right now, it's simply not worth the headache unless you do this all the time for a living.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
JediMasterMatt , that was SUPER HELPFUL INFO BRO! Thanks, as I now know how friken hard it is to do on you own...And I WAS going to try (with the Spyder), but the reality with your XP just saved me a from some aspirin, and many hours of wasted bulb life :) One question though still in the air...Would the Pro Calibration still hold any value, iF i were to move to another home/theater? (same screen and distance)????

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Being a newbie into the projector world I was not about to go full blown on the calibration. I did manage to dial in SDR stuff pretty good-even Chadb said it was not bad ( but far from what he did). But the HDR 4K stuff was a whole other beast. couldn't get it to look good at all. After Chad was done the blacks were deep but visible- the highlights were bright but not washed out. I could see all the detail I was missing before. I spent a lot of time and money that went into my home theater- so spending money for a calibration done right was a no brainer. Its the finishing touch of a long project. i didn't expect it to look like an Oled Tv picture afterwards- but overall it was a big improvement. Of course we all know other factors play into it as well, the room itself, screen etc. I also plan on having him touch things up too whenever he is in my part of the country- just to stay on top of things. I consider it a maintenance thing, like the car, the house, furnace etc.

·
Registered
450 Posts
What does something like this cost? I live in Michigan. I'd guess the skill of the tech matters. Is there someone good here?

Subjective questions yield subjective answers... but, here goes as someone who just had his RS420 receive some calibration love.

Out of the box, the image was decent; but, nowhere near accurate when compared to my calibrated HD350 it was replacing which using the DVDO Duo's auto calibration with Chromapure and some manual touch up gave great results.

When I picked up my RS420, I figured I would be able to simply fire up Chromapure and go to town the old fashioned way.

Unfortunately, JVC giveth and JVC taketh away.

With the HD350, I needed the DVDO Duo to control the color points and gamma. I figured that since JVC added calibration capabilities to their family of products, I would simply need to use their manual controls to do the calibration myself. As I quickly found out... in an effort to make things "easy" via their built in auto calibration, they took away the ability to easily directly control the projector via the built in menus. Instead, you need to use the auto calibration software to drive part of the process and the projector for other parts. I went ahead and picked up the not-so accurate Spyder to due the auto calibration that made things better; but, still weren't great.

I then factored in the little detail that using a front projector for HDR isn't really a science at this point and is more of an art in compromise. No front projector (or any device really) can fully hit the HDR specs, so it becomes a question of how best to use the total amount of light and saturation available. Lean too heavily towards hitting the details in the highlights and you sacrifice shadow detail. Go the opposite way and you end up with a loss in highlights. Then factor in that not all HDR content is authored the same way and hit the same light output specs.

Add on top of that the headache of repeating the calibration process for 3D and taking into account the changes in spectrum that occurs with the glasses in front of your eyes.

With all of the above in mind, I realized that even if I could do all the above - I was going to be leaving out the subjective parts of the process in getting HDR dialed in simply because I don't have enough experience to give me a great result. That's when I decided to find out if Chad B could stop by the house.

With his experience in not only ISF calibrations; but, with specifically the RS420 - he hit it out of the park with my setup. He got me a great image for SDR, HDR (with 3 custom gamma profiles to account for mastering variations), and 3D that take full advantage of my high gain Silverstar.

There is no way I could've come close to what he was able to come up with in any reasonable amount of time... and he took 6 hours! His ability to make adjustments via custom profiles that he generates via offsets to account for the subpar results from the needed Spyder alone would've taken me more time that what it would be worth as you have to feed in correction values to offset the meter that then have to be imported via the auto cal software. It's probably like trying to mix paint when you know the color values at your hardware store are inaccurate and you have to drive back and forth to the store each time you want to make an adjustment.

My 2 cents... pay the money and have it done right. Watch while it's done so you can learn the process. Even now that I know what to do... it's not worth me doing it on my own. If JVC gave us back direct control via the projector and/or use of an accurate meter, I would be up for the challenge. Right now, it's simply not worth the headache unless you do this all the time for a living.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Thanks. I tried again, but just can't get the colors right. I'm running a Sony 4k player to HDMI2. My BDP95 goes thourgh my Emotiva pre/pro, then through a Darbie. I think the Darbie is still effective.

Switching inputs is brutally slow. My stuff is in a rack behind me. Getting a Logitec remote with fixed blasters is a lot more consistent for me. Still brutally slow, but it does power up with the right player on the right input - eventually.

I can't get my HDR mode to look very good either so I just watch everything at 4K UHD 4:4:4 in Cinema mode...It all looks pretty darn good there.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Thanks. I'll try the Martian again. Thanks for the adjustment process you use. I'll try that.

Of all things, I was watching Wonder Woman. The BluRay was just better skin color to my eye. One thing that sort of messed me up was that someone - lets say my daughter - got the BDP95 into 720p mode. I remember the day that all the zooms were messed up. I was surprised she didn't call me for a walk though. Since then, and until this post, I was comparing 4k to 720p. Once I switched to 1080p, the colors really pop. I ran through the scene in SW where they tale the Millennium Falcon for a rip. Wow! That is how I remember it before all this tweaking.

You know, both of you (and many others, including me!) are in the same boat here. I have had some 'meh disappointing moments when I threw in some newly remastered 4K HDR movies. I think this particular projector doesn't handle the old movies very well (fifth element, dracula, starship troopers, etc). HOWEVER, I think the 420/570 handles NEW MOVIES IN HDR VERY WELL...for example 'The Martian' looks friken awesome when fiddled with...I just think JVC's recipe is pretty vague (at best) to achieve a simple PQ setting-solution for HDR.

WHAT I DO for say The Martian, is #1 put it in HDR Mode #2 Set Gamma to HDR 2084 (or 85, forgot). Now I'm not really sure what HDR 2084/85 is, but it works for the new films fantastically! #3 , turn down color and adjust for brightness/contrast. This has worked for me, most of the time, but I am also frustrated by the fact I have to manually calibrate for every UHD Disc I throw at it :( Does Chad B go to California by any chance! :eek: ;) good luck, play with the settings (and write them down) when you find that magic setting...

·
Registered
192 Posts
What does something like this cost? I live in Michigan. I'd guess the skill of the tech matters. Is there someone good here?
http://www.hdtvbychadb.com/

Chad is available in your area and is headquartered just down the road in Ohio. Granted, I don't know if the border between your two states is open this time of the year.

Everything you need is on his site including the rates and details about scheduling.

1461 - 1480 of 3060 Posts