AVS Forum banner

1481 - 1500 of 3060 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Thanks. I hit him up with a request. The price seams reasonable if he can make the 4k look better than the 1080p. I like the idea of a few presets for different movie masters.

http://www.hdtvbychadb.com/

Chad is available in your area and is headquartered just down the road in Ohio. Granted, I don't know if the border between your two states is open this time of the year.

Everything you need is on his site including the rates and details about scheduling.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Any suggestions on an ISF calibrator for the Dallas-Ft. Worth Area?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Question about HDR for the 2017 models

Sorry to "break into" this thread at such a late date :rolleyes:

Here is my story: I'm a pretty happy owner of the DLA-X550R projector. I've had it for 18 months and it works great, except for ONE THING: HDR

About six months ago I upgraded my system to 4K, including purchasing a 4K OLED television. The bottom line is, native 4K material looks fabulous on the X550 as long as it is not HDR-enabled. If it is, the picture goes noticeably darker. I have worked with other contributors of the 950/750/550 thread to see what is causing the issue. I have the latest firmware, downloaded the BT.2020 color profile, and set a User Input mode specifically to the setting JVC recommends for HDR. No dice.

So.... I know that the X570 has improved HDR capabilities, and the 590 just came out with better features according to JVC. Before I consider upgrading from my X550 to a X590, how has the HDR experience been with the X570?

The issue I have is that when I'm watching HDR-enabled material (About 25% of the time) I really can't use the X550. On the other HDR and Dolby Vision material looks positively sensational on the LG.

Many thanks,
Brian

Reactions: limbery

·
Registered
18,145 Posts
Sorry to "break into" this thread at such a late date :rolleyes:

Here is my story: I'm a pretty happy owner of the DLA-X550R projector. I've had it for 18 months and it works great, except for ONE THING: HDR

About six months ago I upgraded my system to 4K, including purchasing a 4K OLED television. The bottom line is, native 4K material looks fabulous on the X550 as long as it is not HDR-enabled. If it is, the picture goes noticeably darker. I have worked with other contributors of the 950/750/550 thread to see what is causing the issue. I have the latest firmware, downloaded the BT.2020 color profile, and set a User Input mode specifically to the setting JVC recommends for HDR. No dice.

So.... I know that the X570 has improved HDR capabilities, and the 590 just came out with better features according to JVC. Before I consider upgrading from my X550 to a X590, how has the HDR experience been with the X570?

The issue I have is that when I'm watching HDR-enabled material (About 25% of the time) I really can't use the X550. On the other HDR and Dolby Vision material looks positively sensational on the LG.

Many thanks,
Brian
Have you tried the custom gamma curves ?

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Does your projector have the CMD fix?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't know, I've only had it a few days. I don't use CMD, can't stand SOE, but I tried it and didn't see any vertical banding. There is a definite streaking or ghosting during motion with the low latency mode engaged.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I don't know, I've only had it a few days. I don't use CMD, can't stand SOE, but I tried it and didn't see any vertical banding. There is a definite streaking or ghosting during motion with the low latency mode engaged.

If it’s new it probably has the fix applied. People in the thread below have been talking about ghosting so you might want to ask there.

Discussion of the JVC CMD Vertical Banding issue and Fix Update (10/17)
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=47413&share_tid=2798825&url=http://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2798825&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts

While I don't have any hands on experience with the X570R and only have seen my RS420 before and after calibration, I'll try to offer some input.

First thing to keep in mind that a projected image will never be a 1:1 comparison with a flat panel display. Projected images all feel like they are projected - whether they are coming from film with a lamp behind it or some type of light engine with a panel or panels reflecting or passing through light. Even the very best projected images I've seen (true IMAX or 70mm or digitally via the laser driven Dolby Cinema) all feel like "cinema".

The very best flat panel displays I've seen (OLED rules the roost here) still feel like watching a flat panel. They can be very great and engaging; but, the very nature of backlit or internally lit fixed pixel panel just doesn't feel like a projected image. You can certainly up the image size and create a more "immersive" flat panel experience; but, at the end of the day - you just can't compare the two together as they just feel so different in viewing them.

By it's very nature, projected technology just simply can't keep up with the full potential of what the HDR spec is trying to do. They simply don't have the light output to match the per pixel brightness of what the spec is laying out. But, the cool thing is that's perfectly ok if you are trying to bring a "film" experience home by using your projector for watching movies. The very best HDR capable theatrical setups (probably the dual laser projector Dolby Cinema format) can't hit the full HDR output and as such, nobody (director or cinematographer) has created their "vision" to take advantage of theatrical HDR. Probably the closest was Roger Deakins work in Blade Runner 2049. It looked FANTASTIC in Dolby Cinema; but, it still didn't look or feel like a 40ft+ OLED. It felt and looked like an absolutely great projected image.

So, with that out of the way... UHD driven 4K HDR content on a calibrated RS420 looks great. How great in my observation is really a byproduct of how well the disc was mastered. Did it come from a 2K transfer or a 4K transfer of the source material? What brightness level was it trying to achieve? There in lay the biggest challenge to the ever moving target that is "HDR" - the standard is still too new and flexible and is open to interpretation. Your whole video chain has to be able to accommodate these variables until the dust is settled in the wild, wild west of HDR mastering and be flexible.

For my setup, I'm fortunate in that I still have a really high gain screen in my Vutec Silverstar. This allowed Chad B to use low lamp mode to create a calibration for HDR that other than a change in the iris, creates a similar "feel" to the SDR (Rec 709) colorspace. There is a slight change in the black floor that is offset by the increased brightness needed for a good HDR image. He provided me 3 different custom curves that change the tone mapping to compensate for different brightness targets different discs are trying to hit. Each UHD I put in has me go through a mental checklist of which gamma curve looks right. The best way to do this is pay attention to the highlights and see what detail is gained or lost by changing from the "lowest" curve to the "highest" curve.

With my RS420, a great UHD stomps all over the similar 2K disc. Some titles, it's not as big of difference; but, thus far -it has been always an improvement. *Plus most UHD's have object based audio which is always an improvement too.

I don't know if that really helps you in your decision.

Without seeing what you are through your own eyes, I would hazard a guess that your challenges with the current projector are probably a combination of comparing the projected image to a direct view fixed pixel display and very probably the challenges of HDR needing a very good calibration to get the best out of it from a projector and having the flexibility to get the most out of every disc you watch.

·
Registered
157 Posts

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
What would be the benefit of adding an HD Fury (Linker) with the RS420? Does anyone use the Fury with their RS420?
The Linker is the scaler. Integral is a switch/matrix.

I have the new Vertex, i use it to split my outputs and downscale one to 1080p for my Plasma. The other one goes to the JVC.

·
Registered
107 Posts
1481 - 1500 of 3060 Posts