AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1009 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Matt,

How big is your screen, and what is the gain?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I am considering this projector.

I'm finding it difficult to understand certain things, and I wonder if someone could help me. I currently own an Epson 6040 and though I'm relatively happy with the performance, I'm looking around to see if there's an alternative which isn't crippled by HDMI bandwidth constraints.

1. What has been improved over the previous model (the 570/420)?
  2. Why did JVC release an update so soon after the previous model was released? (Did this cause problems in the JVC Projector's owner community?)
  3. What differentiates this model from the step-up models? How can the reported contrast measurements (from JVC's release bulletin) be so vastly different between this and the next model up?
  4. Is there any gap between MSRP and street price?

Just looking for some info to help me consider a purchase early next year.

·
Registered
14,491 Posts
I am considering this projector.

I'm finding it difficult to understand certain things, and I wonder if someone could help me. I currently own an Epson 6040 and though I'm relatively happy with the performance, I'm looking around to see if there's an alternative which isn't crippled by HDMI bandwidth constraints.

1. What has been improved over the previous model (the 570/420)?
  2. Why did JVC release an update so soon after the previous model was released? (Did this cause problems in the JVC Projector's owner community?)
  3. What differentiates this model from the step-up models? How can the reported contrast measurements (from JVC's release bulletin) be so vastly different between this and the next model up?
  4. Is there any gap between MSRP and street price?
Just looking for some info to help me consider a purchase early next year.
1) eShift5 is new and slightly more refined compared to last year's eShift4. The auto iris can also be used with HDR while not needing an HDfury device. The CMD bug that caused some banding is now fixed (although can be fixed on last years models that had it by sending it in to JVC). Three year warranty and replacement policy is new.

2) JVC usually releases an updated model every year although there has been some exceptions.

3) The RS5XX/6XX models use different wire grid polarizers so they can maintain brightness for greater contrast. They also have a filter for full P3 support.

4) Yes. I would contact Mike Garrett to discuss (street price discussion in public forum is prohibited).

The RS440 would be a very big improvement over the Epson 6040 especially in terms of UHD sharpness as well as contrast.

·
Registered
141 Posts
1) eShift5 is new and slightly more refined compared to last year's eShift4. The auto iris can also be used with HDR while not needing an HDfury device. The CMD bug that caused a some banding is now fixed (although can be fixed on last years that had it by sending it in to JVC). Three year warranty and replacement policy is new.

2) JVC usually releases an updated model every year although there has been some exceptions.

3) The RS5XX/6XX models use different wire grid polarizers so they can maintain brightness for greater contrast. They also have a filter for full P3 support.

4) Yes. I would contact Mike Garrett to discuss.
I very much appreciate the response. Thanks!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Just wondering if this projector is a good option for me coming from a JVC RS25. I know the lumens will be double of the stated specs of the RS25. However the contrast ratio is not as good as the RS25. How much different is the picture on the RS540 for the extra money?

·
Registered
14,491 Posts
As I mentioned above, the RS540 will have notably better blacks and contrast than the RS440 It also has a PS3 filter. But the blacks are still excellent on the RS440 and if you're very sensitive to black uniformity (i.e., bright corners/sides), the RS440 generally has the advantage because the black floor is higher.

As far as the RS440 vs RS25 contrast - have you seen the actual data at lumen/iris levels? Typically the published max contrast on JVCs have the iris closed all of the way down for the maximum contrast number, but few people would use the RS25 this way. Once opened up, I would be shocked if the RS25 would match the RS440 at similar lumens - and, of course, it doesn't get nearly as bright as the RS440. The RS440 will be probably be sharper too even at 1080p as I would imagine the processing and lens has improved since the RS25. I bet it would be a huge upgrade.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Hi, DavidHir

Did you ever get your rs440 calibrated by Chad B yet?

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
He did my audio and was thinking about getting the rs440 but I decided to wait for next year.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I've been using my RS440 the last couple if weeks. Got a great deal from Mike Garrett at AVScience (highly recommended). I've owned an RS4810, RS4910, RS500, Epson LS10000 and the RS440 puts out the best UHD image I've seen from any of these. Eshift5 is not only nicely detailed, but looks more analog and natural from anything I've seen. Looking forward to getting Chad B out at some point here and will get contrast measured. I'm guessing it will be between 20-30,000:1 native once calibrated.
I've currently got a RS4810 and I've been looking at the RS440 too. So you feel it's a very nice upgrade? I want to get something that can accept 4K and show it off with HDR too. I was concerned with the lower contrast going from 60,000:1 on the RS4810 to 40,000:1 on the RS440. I've got a large 148" cinemascope screen with a 1.5 gain. I love the image of my RS4810 and want to move it to my other room that I watch sports in. The RS540 looks awesome but the price point jumps up a lot more.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Hi, DavidHir

I forgot to ask how is the image with HDR is it bright enough? I'm looking at a 16' throw to my Carada 106" thanks.

·
Registered
14,491 Posts
I've currently got a RS4810 and I've been looking at the RS440 too. So you feel it's a very nice upgrade? I want to get something that can accept 4K and show it off with HDR too. I was concerned with the lower contrast going from 60,000:1 on the RS4810 to 40,000:1 on the RS440. I've got a large 148" cinemascope screen with a 1.5 gain. I love the image of my RS4810 and want to move it to my other room that I watch sports in. The RS540 looks awesome but the price point jumps up a lot more.
The highest contrast the RS4810 could achieve, non-calibrated, was 50,000:1 with the iris completely closed on a new lamp. I was getting around 30,000:1 or so (measured by Chad) in order to get 12ftL on a 9 foot wide 1.0 gain screen with a newer lamp. The RS440 will match the RS4810 when you're talking lumens matching. With your screen size even at 1.5 gain, I think the RS440 greater light output will help a lot and I do think it's an upgrade for brightness as well as for UHD BD. You also get the auto iris which many like.

·
Registered
14,491 Posts
Hi, DavidHir

I forgot to ask how is the image with HDR is it bright enough? I'm looking at a 16' throw to my Carada 106" thanks.
You should be okay. I have enough brightness at 1.0 gain and 9 feet wide screen (equivalent to 124" diagonal) at 12' 7" throw. If you can mount any closer it would help though but I wouldn't think you'd have problem if you cannot.

·
Registered
29,912 Posts
Unless you use your 4810 in low lamp with iris setting of -12 to -15, the 440 will match or beat (contrast) the 4810 when brightness matched. This is because the 440 is so much brighter, that you have to close the iris down more. With each click of the iris closed, you gain native contrast. Don't expect to actually see better contrast with the 440, there is not enough of a difference to see by eye. So even though the contrast specs differ, in actual use they are pretty much the same, when at same brightness level.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Jvc x590rb

Jvc x590rb
Hey Guys,

Hope to get some help from your expertise. I am looking into getting the JVC x590RB, I have to pull the trigger before the months end due to a free bulb offer. Initially I was leaning towards the Epson 5040 UB, I was told by eastporters (a retailer in Canada) for the money the JVC is a better projector, FAR superior black levels and image quality. I couldn’t find many reviews on this particular projector, I was wondering if you guys can offer some insight. I am also getting a reference 4K Screen. FOr JVC this is an entry level projector where 5040 is the almost at the higher end for Epson, does it measure up to the Epson. Just wanted to know if I am making the right choice with the JVC? Are their any rainbow effect ? Is it easy to allign the lens to the screen. Thanks in advance!!

Merry Xmas and Happy Holidays

Viewing conditions: - Dedicated Theater room (controlled light)
- I am not a gamer, I don’t own any gaming consoles
- No TV watching just Movies

·
Registered
14,491 Posts
Jvc x590rb
Hey Guys,

Hope to get some help from your expertise. I am looking into getting the JVC x590RB, I have to pull the trigger before the months end due to a free bulb offer. Initially I was leaning towards the Epson 5040 UB, I was told by eastporters (a retailer in Canada) for the money the JVC is a better projector, FAR superior black levels and image quality. I couldn’t find many reviews on this particular projector, I was wondering if you guys can offer some insight. I am also getting a reference 4K Screen. FOr JVC this is an entry level projector where 5040 is the almost at the higher end for Epson, does it measure up to the Epson. Just wanted to know if I am making the right choice with the JVC? Are their any rainbow effect ? Is it easy to allign the lens to the screen. Thanks in advance!!

The JVC is a much better projector and no issues with rainbows since tbey are not DLPs or have a color wheel. Did you check your projector throw to your screen size? http://pro.jvc.com/pro/lens_calc/HTML/jvc_REF.html

·
Registered
179 Posts
Jvc x590rb
Hey Guys,

Hi always had very good service with eastporters and you can not beat their prices in Canada. I bought my vpl hw45es with elunuvision screen and speakers there. Here is fresh a review for rs 440/x590

http://www.projectorcentral.com/JVC-RS440U-Projector-Review.htm
Daniel

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
hi guys, long time reader here but first time i post here.

I need advice deciding what projector to get, currently i own Optoma UHD60, i bought it just to try 4k and to hold me till i find something better within price range.

I have 3 projectors in mind ( jvc x590 , sony vw285 , optoma UHZ65 ). now my room (11.5x15feet) is 70% blacked out (back velvet drapes along the sides, black velvet on the ceiling up to 8feet and black carpet with some dark grey in the back side and the rest of the ceiling), my screen is 1.1gain cinewhite 135inch.

I have never owned a JVC before but always hear great things about it specially black level and contrast, i m coming from sony hw40es and optoma uhd60 so dont really know what kind of picture quality upgrade i should expect.

I game a lot on high end pc and ps4 pro, i watch also 4k HDR movies using my sony x800d player.
The JVC x590 is what i m leaning towards the most right now, it's $3600 so also its cheaper than the other 2, i m just hesitant because its not 4k and never tried 1080p e-shift before, my UHD60 isnt native 4k either but its very very shrap (i sit 13feet away from the screen) although its lacking in the black lvl and contrast department.

So which one of those 3 u think will give me the biggest upgrade and wow factor in watching 1080P/SDR 4K/HDR and playing video games.

Thanks and merry christmas :)

Attachments

·
Registered
14,491 Posts
hi guys, long time reader here but first time i post here.

I need advice deciding what projector to get, currently i own Optoma UHD60, i bought it just to try 4k and to hold me till i find something better within price range.

I have 3 projectors in mind ( jvc x590 , sony vw285 , optoma UHZ65 ). now my room (11.5x15feet) is 70% blacked out (back velvet drapes along the sides, black velvet on the ceiling up to 8feet and black carpet with some dark grey in the back side and the rest of the ceiling), my screen is 1.1gain cinewhite 135inch.

I have never owned a JVC before but always hear great things about it specially black level and contrast, i m coming from sony hw40es and optoma uhd60 so dont really know what kind of picture quality upgrade i should expect.

I game a lot on high end pc and ps4 pro, i watch also 4k HDR movies using my sony x800d player.
The JVC x590 is what i m leaning towards the most right now, it's $3600 so also its cheaper than the other 2, i m just hesitant because its not 4k and never tried 1080p e-shift before, my UHD60 isnt native 4k either but its very very shrap (i sit 13feet away from the screen) although its lacking in the black lvl and contrast department.

So which one of those 3 u think will give me the biggest upgrade and wow factor in watching 1080P/SDR 4K/HDR and playing video games.

Thanks and merry christmas :)
Hands down the RS440. It has much better contrast and HDR (even out of the box) compared to the other projectors. It will work well for gaming too.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Hands down the RS440. It has much better contrast and HDR (even out of the box) compared to the other projectors. It will work well for gaming too.
Even compared to the SONY ?
i keep reading from various reviews how the VW285 and RS440 are so close.
i m not sure if i should even consider the optoma UHZ65 in the same ballpark as these 2.
But so far the RS440 has the best feedback/reviews, i hope their e-shift 5 is close to the optoma's 4k solution at my viewing distant.

21 - 40 of 1009 Posts