AVS Forum banner

941 - 960 of 1009 Posts

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
I’ve been enjoying my new X590R for a few months now, but I’ve noticed something that I can’t figure out. The projector seems to automatically switch to HDR mode when a proper HDR source is input, but if a then switch to watching an SDR source, it seems like it stays in HDR mode. I then have to manually switch to one of the SDR picture modes.

Is this normal? Anyway to have the projector automatically switch to the proper picture mode HDR or SDR?

Thanks,
-D
It will switch back to whichever Picture Mode it was in, prior to receiving the HDR source. So if you were watching SDR source in the appropriate mode and then play an HDR source, the projector will automatically switch to HDR mode; then if you switch back to SDR source the projector will automatically witch back to the SDR mode.

If you manually select the HDR mode prior to starting the HDR source, then the projector will remain in HDR mode regardless of the source.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Question about the 440. I was lucky enough to get one and it will arrive this week.

I have a 133 inch Hp Dalite screen and was wondering if I would be better off ceiling mounting at around 15 feet back or shelf mounting around 18 feet back

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
Question about the 440. I was lucky enough to get one and it will arrive this week.

I have a 133 inch Hp Dalite screen and was wondering if I would be better off ceiling mounting at around 15 feet back or shelf mounting around 18 feet back
Because the HP is retro-reflective(I hope my memory is accurate here as to the name) you would want to place it as close to eye level as possible. Ceiling mounting with an HP screen is a no-no.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I have a X590R (same as the RS440) and have a 106” HP screen. Projector is mounted on shelf behind optical glass window from 20’ away. Picture quality is AMAZING. My room is fairly narrow at 12’ wide and every seating location has an extremely bright, vivid image.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Awesome would love
To see your room. My projector arrives tomorrow. But still lots of work to do before I get it setup
Hi everyone,
This may be a dumb question, but is there a button on the remote that will provide info on whether or not the image currently being displayed on the projector is playing in 4K HDR? I know the projector itself seems to run a bit louder when it's in 4K HRD mode, but sometimes I'd like to confirm this on screen.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
Hi everyone,
This may be a dumb question, but is there a button on the remote that will provide info on whether or not the image currently being displayed on the projector is playing in 4K HDR? I know the projector itself seems to run a bit louder when it's in 4K HRD mode, but sometimes I'd like to confirm this on screen.
Thanks in advance
There’s an INFO button on the remote you can click on. Note, however, it’s the lamp power setting that affects the fan noise, and that is not directly shown on the INFO screen. You can select Normal or High lamp power for any Picture Mode, although most people only use High for 3D and HDR.

·
Registered
184 Posts
My 440 arrives today!!
Anyone got any suggestions on what I should
Do first?
Besides enjoy?
Calibrate ?
Certain things to check first?

·
Registered
7 Posts
JVC RS440 double trouble

It’s just under 1 y.o. and now won’t turn on. Press “On” and the red light switches to blinking green for a few seconds, then back to red. I unplugged the unit for 10 seconds, and checked remote batteries, but nada.

But also, when operational, it manifests during play an interior noise that’s just loud enough to be annoying and certainly worrisome. The noise varies somewhat in its sonic profile depending on source selection (via HDMI) on my Outlaw 975. Sources being OPPO player, Mediasonic OTA tuner, Apple TV tuner and a Roku.

No amount of physical repositioning or footer adjustment affects this phenomenon.

Rats! Curses! We had such great plans for Thanksgiving weekend. The Irishman drops on Wednesday.

Thank you, all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There’s an INFO button on the remote you can click on. Note, however, it’s the lamp power setting that affects the fan noise, and that is not directly shown on the INFO screen. You can select Normal or High lamp power for any Picture Mode, although most people only use High for 3D and HDR.
Thanks Dominic! I'll give it a shot tonight. Does the info button display the HDR status as well? Or only 4K status?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Seriously considering finding one of these used for my home theater I’m building (dedicated, light controlled).

I was considering the Epson 4050 but the lack of 18gbps HDMI turned me off. And the 6050 is too expensive and impossible to find used.

Is the 440 really that much more superior to the 420? Is the main differences improved pixel shifting and more HDR support? As I gather, 420 won’t work with HDR from streaming sources?

Also, what’s the cheapest decent replacement bulb?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
Is the 440 really that much more superior to the 420? Is the main differences improved pixel shifting and more HDR support? As I gather, 420 won’t work with HDR from streaming sources?
There are negligible differences between the RS420 and the RS440. Other than e-shift5 (which not everyone thinks is an improvement), the only difference is the RS440 allow you to turn on Auto Iris for HDR.

941 - 960 of 1009 Posts