AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Has anyone had issues with the door on the X900R?

It usually make a awful noise when opening and closing however recently mine has been making that noise plus some clunking banging noise. As it works it clicks/bangs about 3 times. The door itself is traveling smoothly and has not actually failed. It just sounds like it is going to fail.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Is there a diagram and write-up on the lens design? Number of elements? Plastic? Any ED glass, etc? Does JVC make the lens parts? How do their lenses compare to Sony and Epson? Appreciated!

·
Registered
1,745 Posts

Been contemplating the 4K switch...then I watched Thor II on my JVC 4910 last night and it was DirecTV HD, so not as sharp as BD, but I just sat there with my mouth hanging open on the off-world and space scenes. You can keep those extra few million pixels...my eyes crave CONTRAST! (it makes the color so rich) In lieu of going 4K I'm actually thinking of upgrading to a higher end JVC... to those who have gone from 4910 to 57 or 67...is it night and day or just a nice increase? Is the THX mode a good option? I've been preferring it without the auto-iris as Ive been distracted by it lately but damn the blacks are dark with it off.

On that note, AVS has some b-stock and refurb RS57 and RS67 pjs for smoking deals (less than the cheapest Sony 4K and three times the contrast)...I'm thinking about jumping on one and waiting out the 4K pj debacle.

PM or call Mike Garrett:
AV Science Sales 5
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I can't speak to how much a perceived increase you'd see in the RS67 compared to the 4910. But, I had a RS35 with a rated native CR of 70K:1 and I see the 4910 is rated 60K:1. A few months ago I sold that RS35 and I got a B-stock 6710 with rated CR of 150K:1 and the improved contrast was clear but other performance parameters were just as impressive. I think those improvements are related to processing and lens quality with some reduction in motion "judder" on certain-speed pans and better sharpness. I don't use the DI or pseudo-4K and other sharpness, etc. "enhancement" settings are at minimum.

So, I hope you jumped on that deal, which is now not posted - I presume they sold out already.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I can't speak to how much a perceived increase you'd see in the RS67 compared to the 4910. But, I had a RS35 with a rated native CR of 70K:1 and I see the 4910 is rated 60K:1. A few months ago I sold that RS35 and I got a B-stock 6710 with rated CR of 150K:1 and the improved contrast was clear but other performance parameters were just as impressive. I think those improvements are related to processing and lens quality with some reduction in motion "judder" on certain-speed pans and better sharpness. I don't use the DI or pseudo-4K and other sharpness, etc. "enhancement" settings are at minimum.

So, I hope you jumped on that deal, which is now not posted - I presume they sold out already.
Can I ask you why you don't use the dynamic iris? What is wrong with it? Are there noticeable anomalies during movie playback?

·
Registered
12,514 Posts
On that note, AVS has some b-stock and refurb RS57 and RS67 pjs for smoking deals (less than the cheapest Sony 4K and three times the contrast)...I'm thinking about jumping on one and waiting out the 4K pj debacle.

PM or call Mike Garrett:
AV Science Sales 5
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com
He didn't mention any b-stock units to me, but they do have the a-stock RS67s available.

If you are talking about the a-stock RS67, then they are still available.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I just joined the club! Craig from AVS hooked me up with one of the closeout 67s! My first projector for my new, almost finished theater room. Should be here Friday! Can't wait!

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
I just joined the club! Craig from AVS hooked me up with one of the closeout 67s! My first projector for my new, almost finished theater room. Should be here Friday! Can't wait!
You're going to love it! Definitely some of the best picture quality out there today on this unit. Enjoy. :)

PS. I'd recommend finishing the theater first before you install the projector. You'll notice a lot of theater builds abruptly stop once people setup their projector. :p

·
Registered
430 Posts
PS. I'd recommend finishing the theater first before you install the projector. You'll notice a lot of theater builds abruptly stop once people setup their projector. :p

Hehehe.... I was thinking the same thing. I'm going to force myself to finish installing the window trim, crown molding and baseboard before opening the box. Still hoping to get it setup before the football games on Sunday... might be wishful thinking... :D

·
Registered
18,163 Posts
Hehehe.... I was thinking the same thing. I'm going to force myself to finish installing the window trim, crown molding and baseboard before opening the box. Still hoping to get it setup before the football games on Sunday... might be wishful thinking... :D

Nothing like a projector on its way to add that extra incentive to finish your theater construction ! You can always paint that trim after the game if need be ! :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
I was able to finish all the trim and setup the RS67 late last night. First impression when unboxing, was wow, this thing is HUGE! It is much bigger than it looks in the pictures. Now I understand why my mount says to use 5/16 lag bolts!

Shooting on a 10 foot Elite CineWhite screen (1.1 gain supposedly) and WOW this shoots an incredible picture! I used the THX preset (low lamp) and it looks GREAT. I closed the iris down as the bright scenes were uncomfortable on my eyes. Happy that in my case, the extra brightness of the 2016 models isn't needed and I have some brightness in reserve for when the bulb ages. :D

I was reading in some threads that the RS67/X900 has multiple iris's. Is this true? If so, I should be able to adjust the maximum brightness on one AND use the other for the dynamic iris function. I can't seem to see how to set this up.

Do you guys use the dynamic iris or do you find the incredible native contrast is enough?

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
I was able to finish all the trim and setup the RS67 late last night. First impression when unboxing, was wow, this thing is HUGE! It is much bigger than it looks in the pictures. Now I understand why my mount says to use 5/16 lag bolts!

Shooting on a 10 foot Elite CineWhite screen (1.1 gain supposedly) and WOW this shoots an incredible picture! I used the THX preset (low lamp) and it looks GREAT. I closed the iris down as the bright scenes were uncomfortable on my eyes. Happy that in my case, the extra brightness of the 2016 models isn't needed and I have some brightness in reserve for when the bulb ages. :D

I was reading in some threads that the RS67/X900 has multiple iris's. Is this true? If so, I should be able to adjust the maximum brightness on one AND use the other for the dynamic iris function. I can't seem to see how to set this up.

Do you guys use the dynamic iris or do you find the incredible native contrast is enough?
On the RS67 and RS57 there's an iris in the lens and one right after the bulb. When you choose a manual iris position on either of these models it closes down on both of them. You can't choose to close one or the other as they're meant to work in tandem to boost contrast as JVC has set up it's light engine. But you can set a manual iris position and then use the auto-iris. When you set it up like this the the auto-iris simply never opens past the manual iris position that you set. In general JVC's dynamic iris is well behaved and is one of the better DI's out there currently. But, yes, I would say these JVC projectors offer more than enough native contrast to satisfy almost everyone out there. So if you find it annoying, disable it and I think you'll still be more than happy with contrast performance.

·
Registered
430 Posts
But you can set a manual iris position and then use the auto-iris.
I see, thanks! I just re-read the iris section of the manual and apparently how you do this is to set the Iris to manual, set the maximum brightness, save, then set the Iris to Auto1 or Auto2. When done this way, the auto iris will use the prior manual iris setting as the max aperture. Does that sound right?

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
I see, thanks! I just re-read the iris section of the manual and apparently how you do this is to set the Iris to manual, set the maximum brightness, save, then set the Iris to Auto1 or Auto2. When done this way, the auto iris will use the prior manual iris setting as the max aperture. Is this right?
Correct. Set the Iris mode to manual, set the position you want and then change to the auto iris mode you want. You'll notice even though the manual position is now greyed out, the position you set is still at that point. Most people use Auto Mode 2 as it's a little less aggressive.

41 - 60 of 86 Posts