AVS Forum banner

3441 - 3460 of 5097 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,047 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich /forum/post/16143381

The lens is much better in the RS20 than the RS2 and in the Pioneer rebranding of the RS2.

I think fixing the CMS is something JVC is obligated to do and is doing. They promised in their advertising the ability to set the machines colors perfectly. Many purchased the RS20 at least in part because of this. JVC is doing the right thing reggardless of any costs to JVC.

There Joerod goes again with the inky blacks.
Joerod, do the shadow puppet test. The blacks still have a long way to go to reach inky.

If I can't call them inky then what can I call them?

·
Registered
800 Posts
welcome aboard joerod. i have been enjoying my dla-hd750 and 09fd combo for quite some time now, heck i bought my hd750 last year already.. there is nothing like enjoying a new projector for the christmas holidays!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Yes, welcome Joe. The RS20 is fantastic. I'm loving mine. The step up from the very good Pearl to the RS20 has been, well, rather significant.

The RS20 & the Elite 09 Blu-ray player are a match made in Blu-ray Heaven.

Watched Changeling last night BD. A good film and one that has some excellent black levels to show off what the RS20 can do. There were times watching where I had this silly grin on my face. Here we are watching this drama & I am smiling.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hello

Just got my new RS 20 and initial impressions are excellent echoing many of the comments already posted in this forum. This is definitely a huge step up from my 5 yr old NEC HT110 (XGA resolution, 1024 X 768) which has given me years of trouble free service.

To be honest, when I first played my first Blu Ray on the NEC from my Panasonic BD-55, the jump in quality from DVD was not as dramatic as I had hoped. With the RS 20 now in the house, the circle is complete, huuuuge difference as anticipated!!....the Fifth Element never looked so good.

However, I must have an internal setting wrong on the RS 20 as I could not get a regular DVD or concert Blu Ray (probably 1080i) to project, HDMI 1 says no input.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
399 Posts
Enhanced HDMI mode problem with blu-ray-

This was mentioned earlier in this thread, but it bears repeating here, so that others won't run into the same problem I had over the last several days.

Switching the RS20 to enhanced HDMI caused my black levels to go straight to hell and increased noise. Inky blacks became nasty greys. This effect is easily repeatable switching from normal to enhanced while viewing a blu-ray.

I thought my PJ had broken until I figured out the problem.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
So I just finished framing my 1.16 gain 11-foot wide acoustic transparent scope screen, and the RS20 doesn't look nothing short of magnificent on it.

However....

I started to notice that the right vertical edge of the projected image is tilted to the left, which means on a 16:9 image, the distance from the top right corner of the of the image to the velvet border is almost one inch wider than the distance between the bottm right corner of the image and the velvet border, so it's like a right-sided-trapezoid

To further illustrate my problem, I posted a mock up which shows the problem. Note that my screen is not that badly tilted, but I wanted to over emphasize the problem with the picture below, so you can get...hmmm..the picture.

I have my projector ceiling mounted using a long mount due to my center soffit which sits in the way of the projection, so I have the projector drop mounted about 12 inches or so from the ceiling, and I am also using some vertical lens shifting to help the projected image clear the low soffit sitting in the way.

I have tried to adjust the keystone settings from the initial default settings of 0/0, but that did not improve it much. I don't know what I am doing wrong. But if my framed screen or projector were tilted or slighly off level then the left vertical edge of the screen should be tilted in a parallel fashion to the right but the left vertical edge is 100% level/straight! Only the right side of the screen's vertical edge is tilted, I used one of those box level rulers which I had used to frame my basement, and it shows that the top, bottom, and left sides of the screens are ON LEVEL, but the right vertical side, which obviously looks tilted, is OFF LEVEL by almost 3/4" of an inch.

Is there something I am doing wrong here? Is this a known defect with the RS20 or its lens?

·
Registered
5,668 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 /forum/post/16154764

Is there something I am doing wrong here? Is this a known defect with the RS20 or its lens?

Either your projector or your screen is not in alignment.

This is easily fixable by adjusting either the projector or the screen.

Don't use any keystoning.

Just adjust the projector or the screen (which ever is easier). It looks like the right side of your screen is not completely flat in relation to the projector. Either the top-right side of the screen has to be moved farther away from the projector or the bottom right side has to be moved closer to the projector. You could adjust the projector to accomplish these things as well.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy /forum/post/16154884

Just adjust the projector or the screen (which ever is easier). It looks like the right side of your screen is not completely flat in relation to the projector. Either the top-right side of the screen has to be moved farther away from the projector or the bottom right side has to be moved closer to the projector. You could adjust the projector to accomplish these things as well.

So there is nothing wrong with the projector's lens or internal components?

If that's the case, then how would I go about adjusting the projector, because it will be difficult for me to adjust the framed screen since it's already mounted against the 14 foot wide screenwall (which is level as far as I know) using 4 heavy duty picture frame hooks. The screen can slightly swing upwards due to the swinging picture hooks but not by much.

When you say adjust the projector? do you mean mess with the actual setting, or play around with the projector mount until the image is straight on the right side, and wouldn't that end up affecting the image alignment on the top, bottom, and left sides?

I really don't have much room to adjust the screen itself, so I will have to figure out a way to adjust the projector.

I framed my screen at 55.5 x 131.6, which was based on CarltonBale's Theater calculator at 2.37:1. It might be off by less than 1/16th of an inch, and the top of the screen is sitting against/underneath the stage's soffit, which is 99% on level, it's not 100% perfect and as far as I know the floating screenwall is on level too, it might not be perfectly level 100% but it's not off by any means, not enough to cause this noticeable 1" tilt on the right side.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
There is nothing wrong with your projector

First, identify the problem. I would start by detaching the connection from the bottom right corner of your screen and then pull that corner forward toward the projector. Does it fix the problem? If it does, you can either shim the screen or adjust the tilt of the projector on its axis. Do whichever is easier.

I spent several hours getting this all to be correct for me.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod /forum/post/16143131

I have now had the RS20 for a couple of days. I am very impressed with the image it puts out. Excellent inky blacks with great shadow details. I spent the better part of yesterday setting it up. Thanks to John Ballentine for sending me a PM which pretty much had the latest and greatest settings.
I also think lovingdvd, manni01 and jeffY have done excellent work in making the RS20 next level. And not to forget Lawguy for his firmware thread!
I just recently had the Pioneer FPJ1/RS2 hanging in my theater and the RS20 with all the extras is definitely a step above. I also just recently had the Sony VW200 and the RS20 is better in many areas as well. I am not going to do a long drawn out review. That has been done here and in most magazines. I feel like I am 5 years to late for the prom. Nevertheless, I did finally show up with a supermodel.
I also want to thank AVS (Alan Gouger & Jason Turk) for assisting me in the purchase of the RS20. I look forward to doing future business with them.

Hey Joerod,

Don't you have a 106" wide Silver Star? How is that working out with the RS20. I have the same screen but with a CRT. Was wondering if/when I go to something like the RS20 if I was going to have some of the sparkle issues I've heard about. Anything you're not liking about the screen now?

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
2,279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy /forum/post/16155107

There is nothing wrong with your projector

First, identify the problem. I would start by detaching the connection from the bottom right corner of your screen and then pull that corner forward toward the projector. Does it fix the problem? If it does, you can either shim the screen or adjust the tilt of the projector on its axis. Do whichever is easier.

I spent several hours getting this all to be correct for me.

Thanks dude, I am hoping it's just an easy alignment fix as you mentioned. And knowing that others have gone through and resolved the same initial alignmet set up issue makes me a little more reliefed.

The good news, is that there is nothing attached the bottom of the screen frame, its only attached to the top of the screenwall's horizontal stud using the 4 swinging picture frame hooks, so I can easily shim the bottom if I need to. I guess the left side of the screen is right on level, so it could be the projector's alignment or some needed shimming on the right side of the screen frame.

I would reall hate to remove/unhook the screen itself from the screenwall, the way I have it hooked, makes it hard to remove or re-attach.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy /forum/post/16154884

Lawguy,

Should I then reset the Keystone setting back to the factory default of 0/0 and use that to base my projector, PJ mount, and screen alignment?

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
Yes. Set keystone to zero or off and adjust until the pj is perpendicular to the screen. Then use lens shift to align the picture on the screen. You may want to zoom the image down a bit so that it doesn't quite fill the screen to more easily tell if your projector is not perpendicular to the screen.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans /forum/post/16156124

Yes. Set keystone to zero or off and adjust until the pj is perpendicular to the screen. Then use lens shift to align the picture on the screen. You may want to zoom the image down a bit so that it doesn't quite fill the screen to more easily tell if your projector is not perpendicular to the screen.

I see, right now the projector is zoomed for normal 16:9 content, that's where I notice the 1" left-ward tilt on the right edge of the image, its just odd that's the other 3 sides are all alighned near-perfectly while this one side is off. So, as Lawguy had stated, it has to be with the way the PJ is mounted or the screen is sitting against the screen wall, but how much shimming would I need in the bottom right corner to fix the 1" tilt....hopefully not much. Now I need to go back and see if maybe my floating screenwall is somehow off level.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 /forum/post/16156371

I see, right now the projector is zoomed for normal 16:9 content, that's where I notice the 1" left-ward tilt on the right edge of the image, its just odd that's the other 3 sides are all alighned near-perfectly while this one side is off. So, as Lawguy had stated, it has to be with the way the PJ is mounted or the screen is sitting against the screen wall, but how much shimming would I need in the bottom right corner to fix the 1" tilt....hopefully not much. Now I need to go back and see if maybe my floating screenwall is somehow off level.

It should not take much.

It can be frustrating to get perfect alignment but it is worth it.

I use the internal lens patterns to do this kind of thing. They make it a little easier.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy /forum/post/16156396

It should not take much.

It can be frustrating to get perfect alignment but it is worth it.

I use the internal lens patterns to do this kind of thing. They make it a little easier.

Trust me, I may not know a whole lot about calibration, but I am very picky with the things I know how to do, and even just a half inch difference will bug the heck out of me and make me lose sleep, if I can get it down to 1/8" of an inch difference I will be happy.

I take it you mean the test patterns like the green squares/grid test patterns. That's a good idea, I should have known that. Hopefully this is just a minor alighnment issue, and not an issue with the way the stage soffit was framed...that would sooo suck!

I should also mention that I am running a 2x throw ratio....so I am sure the lightest misallignment on the projector mount or the screen is over amplified with such a long ratio.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've been trying to access the service menu, to change the Color Temp for THX mode, but have been unsuccessful.

Either:

a) I'm failing to enter the menu, or b) once in the menu, I'm doing something wrong, or c) the service menu is defective in my unit.

I've tried this with film content running, and without. I've used the remote and controls on the pj itself to try to enter the menu. The result is always the same.

My sequence of steps is:

1. PJ is in THX mode to begin with, normal menu is open.

2. I enter the following sequence in approx 1 to 1.5 seconds:

(up/down/right/left/enter), having seen in prior post that the sequence has to be entered quickly.

3. A vertical pop up menu opens on the right side of the main menu, listing the various picture modes, starting with Cinema 1 on the top and THX on the very bottom. The Cinema 1 mode has a yellow check to the left of it, and the "Picture Mode" box in the regular menu has automatically shifted from THX to Cinema 1.

At this point, there is no action I can take to change the color setting for THX. If I scroll down to the bottom of the vertical pop up menu and then select THX (i.e., I press OK), the pop up menu disappears and I'm left with the normal menu in which all the usual "blacked out" controls for THX remain blacked out and the color temp is 6500. If instead of OK I try to press the left or right arrow buttons, or the C.temp button...I get kicked out of the menu as well.

So, first, does it appear that I'm even in the service menu? And second, any suggestions for either getting in or, if I am in, what to do differently to change the THX color temp to Custom 1?

Thanks.

3441 - 3460 of 5097 Posts