AVS Forum banner

21461 - 21480 of 29401 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just got my RS2000 calibrated and was told my Dragonfly 120" ALR screen (negative gain of 0.8 and 97% light rejection) is not providing adequate brightness in my dedicated HT (no windows) unless I use high lamp, which I don't want to do all the time (noise and bulb life).

So I'll now sell this one-year-old screen and choose between the Stewart StudioTek G3 (1.3 gain) or the newer G4 (1.1 gain). Any comments on either/both?

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
Just got my RS2000 calibrated and was told my 120" ALR screen (97% light rejection) is not providing adequate brightness in my HT (Unless I use high lamp, which I don't want to do all the time).

I can now choose between the Stewart StudioTek G3 (1.3 gain) or the newer G4 (1.1 gain). Any comments on either/both?
What is the gain on your existing screen? Do you not want to use high lamp because of the higher sound level or the high cost of replacement lamps? Lamps might still be a cheaper option than replacing the screen. In a year or two hopefully JVC has a laser in these projectors with more lumens and maybe your screen would then give you the ft lamberts the calibrator recommended.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
What is the gain on your existing screen? Do you not want to use high lamp because of the higher sound level or the high cost of replacement lamps? Lamps might still be a cheaper option than replacing the screen. In a year or two hopefully JVC has a laser in these projectors with more lumens and maybe your screen would then give you the ft lamberts the calibrator recommended.

After 7 JVC's in the past 20 years I'm not interested in upgrading projectors any time soon...this RS2000 provides a beautiful pic. Current Dragonfly 120" ALR has a NEGATIVE gain of 0.8 (hence the amazing light rejection) and perfect for anyone who has ambient light.

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
After 7 JVC's not interested in upgrading projectors any time soon...this RS2000 provides a beautiful pic. Current Dragonfly 120" ALR has a NEGATIVE gain of 0.8 (hence the amazing light rejection) and perfect for anyone who has ambient light.
Are you going to be treating the room or reducing your ambient light somehow. I am sure you know the Stewart screens you referenced are not ALR screens . Maybe running in high lamp would be the better option since it sounds like you really love your existing screen? If it was the noise from the projector maybe you could build a hush box or pay someone to build one for you? Still cheaper than a new screen.

·
Registered
969 Posts
After 7 JVC's in the past 20 years I'm not interested in upgrading projectors any time soon...this RS2000 provides a beautiful pic. Current Dragonfly 120" ALR has a NEGATIVE gain of 0.8 (hence the amazing light rejection) and perfect for anyone who has ambient light.
My RS2000 with the Stewart Studiotech 130 is awesome. I have the 120". I run mine in low lamp most of the time however there are times if i am not using MadVR for HDR I put it in high.

Reactions: Craig Peer

·
Registered
18,137 Posts
Just got my RS2000 calibrated and was told my Dragonfly 120" ALR screen (negative gain of 0.8 and 97% light rejection) is not providing adequate brightness in my dedicated HT (no windows) unless I use high lamp, which I don't want to do all the time (noise and bulb life).

So I'll now sell this one-year-old screen and choose between the Stewart StudioTek G3 (1.3 gain) or the newer G4 (1.1 gain). Any comments on either/both?
Check out the Stewart Cima Neve too, while you are at it.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I’m a little late to the party updating my firmware On my nx5,

Anyways it was an easy process, I haven’t had a lot of time to play with it but most of the movies that I’ve tested we’re good on high and frame by frame, it’s definitelyAn improvement over the previous firmware:) jvc Thanks for the awesome projector, free lamp and the HDR upgrade!

How are you guys setting up your Apple TV 4K box? Set it to 4K SDR 60? And The projector will detect HDR?

Bob

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I’m a little late to the party updating my firmware On my nx5,

Anyways it was an easy process, I haven’t had a lot of time to play with it but most of the movies that I’ve tested we’re good on high and frame by frame, it’s definitelyAn improvement over the previous firmware:) jvc Thanks for the awesome projector, free lamp and the HDR upgrade!

How are you guys setting up your Apple TV 4K box? Set it to 4K SDR 60? And The projector will detect HDR?

Bob
Yes, set your ATV to 4k SDR 60hz. Then set the Match Frame Rate and Match Dynamic Range to "On". With that setup, you will be in in SDR mode 60 hz for all normal programming and ATV interface. Then when you play HDR10 or Dolby Vision content it will automatically switch and send HDR to your projector. It will most likely also switch the Frame Rate to 24 hz which is the predominate frame rate for movies.

Your projector will automatically switch to HDR mode and if you have the most recent firmware it will turn on dynamic tone mapping. Depending on your setup for DTM you shouldn't have to touch a thing. It should all be automatic.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
On the in-between front, in my basement theater I use a 0.97 gain screen consisting of paint on the just-constructed drywall:

The base coat is Kilz Premium primer.

The screen coats (two or three or more) are 50% Valspar Flat White Latex (with a tiny bit of magenta added at the paint store) and 50% Basics Silver Acrylic paint, mixed in a plastic bucket with a drill-driven stirrer, and thinned with a bit of distilled water to make it easier to apply with a roller. (It can also be sprayed on.)

The recipe can be found at home theater shack in the thread called Cream and Sugar Ultra. They also publish recipes for a darker mix to bring out deeper blacks in rooms with windows, called Black Widow, and an in-between mix called Electra.

Wide viewing angle, no hot-spotting, but I do use the HDR High setting in the Frame Adapt menu, since my 17:9 projected grid is 11 feet wide by 5' 10" tall.

My calibration by Chad B is scheduled for May - I've only had it up and running for about two months, just coming up on 100 hours, and I love what it looks like.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Yes, set your ATV to 4k SDR 60hz. Then set the Match Frame Rate and Match Dynamic Range to "On". With that setup, you will be in in SDR mode 60 hz for all normal programming and ATV interface. Then when you play HDR10 or Dolby Vision content it will automatically switch and send HDR to your projector. It will most likely also switch the Frame Rate to 24 hz which is the predominate frame rate for movies.

Your projector will automatically switch to HDR mode and if you have the most recent firmware it will turn on dynamic tone mapping. Depending on your setup for DTM you shouldn't have to touch a thing. It should all be automatic.
Greg, thanks for that man! How about chroma? 4.4.4? Hdmi output YCbCr?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Guys, this may be covered in this mega thread but can someone tell me if this is normal on the N7 and what it is?

From black to a bright wade fade, the white has a cyan tint then very quickly adjusts to the normal tone of white, which I guess has more red in it. I thought this was dynamic iris or maybe the colour wheel on the cinema setting, but I just say it happen in HDR so I'm a little confused. Probably should mention it is pretty rare so I'm not sure if it's normal.

Also, for HDR level are you lot all on auto or high?

Cheers,

R,

·
Premium Member
506 Posts

My G3 ST130 works great with my calibrated RS2000 in a fully light-controlled room with flat black ceiling above the throw and flat black wall where the screen is installed. While some say they have with this screen, I've noticed zero issues with sparkles/hot spots throwing the image 15' to a 100" 16:9 screen. We sit 10 feet back from the screen and watch movies with all light sources either off or completely blocked.

As has already been mentioned, consider looking at the Cima Neve, too.

Best of luck with your decision.

·
Registered
8,840 Posts
Guys, this may be covered in this mega thread but can someone tell me if this is normal on the N7 and what it is?

From black to a bright wade fade, the white has a cyan tint then very quickly adjusts to the normal tone of white, which I guess has more red in it. I thought this was dynamic iris or maybe the colour wheel on the cinema setting, but I just say it happen in HDR so I'm a little confused. Probably should mention it is pretty rare so I'm not sure if it's normal.

Also, for HDR level are you lot all on auto or high?

Cheers,

R,

I have noticed this with Frame Adapt HDR, but not with HDR10.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have noticed this with Frame Adapt HDR, but not with HDR10.
Yeah, that's right it's the cinema filter or colour wheel being engaged.. or however those 2 are related - I am a projector idiot to be fair!

Be interesting to know what this (preferably in small words)

Great projector, still need to tweak it a bit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello! I was looking at getting a new used projector, particularly the Sony VPL 600es as I have been happy with my 40es. Unfortunately I was quickly turned off by the potential panel degredation issues I could run into, especially as it is an older projector.

I considered a few other options like the 5050ub but ended up deciding I should just bite the bullet and go for a higher quality machine, as it IS a long term solution I want.

I keep hearing this talk of B stock units, I am usually not adverse to refurbished/b stock if there is adequate warranty on the device. I imagine these would be cheaper than 4.5k or so they are on amazon? Where do you go about finding these b stock items?

I appreciate the insights and help!

·
Registered
8,840 Posts
I keep hearing this talk of B stock units, I am usually not adverse to refurbished/b stock if there is adequate warranty on the device. I imagine these would be cheaper than 4.5k or so they are on amazon? Where do you go about finding these b stock items?
Some of the forum members are JVC dealers. They may have some B-stock units.
- Cleveland Plasma
- Mike Garret
- Craig Peer

·
Registered
19 Posts

Some of the forum members are JVC dealers. They may have some B-stock units.
- Cleveland Plasma
- Mike Garret
- Craig Peer
Interesting, alternatively can I give JVC a call? I have a feeling I will not be able to PM them haha. Literally just joined the forums a few days ago. Honestly should have right when I got my 40es, calibration breathed some life into it 🙂

·
Registered
8,840 Posts
Interesting, alternatively can I give JVC a call? I have a feeling I will not be able to PM them haha. Literally just joined the forums a few days ago. Honestly should have right when I got my 40es, calibration breathed some life into it 🙂

These dealers have their email addresses and/or phone numbers listed in their signature. No need for PM.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
John Wick 3

Hi folks...so the meta data said 1000/1000...I was watching it with “the boss” who doesn’t like me fiddling with any settings once the movie has started...So I had the NX7 set to Medium FBF...did anyone else find the orange palette to be a little over cooked? Were the blacks also a bit crushed? I wanted to set DTM to Auto but finally set it to high...what would auto have set DTM to? Also interested in if others found the video overcooked a bit...thanks folks

21461 - 21480 of 29401 Posts