AVS Forum banner

21481 - 21500 of 29391 Posts

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,403 Posts
Stewart's online specs says G4 is a lower 1.1 gain
Where do you see that?
It shows 1.3 gain here: https://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/en/materials/studiotek-130-g4 under "specs".
I realize gain is always only rated at the 0 degree angle.

Then in the downloadable spec sheet:
https://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/Files/files/Support Material/Material Data Sheets/StudioTek 130 G4.pdf

It shows the same 1.3 and also says: "unmatched by competing gain screens. StudioTek 130 G4 is thirty percent brighter than
a matte white screen surface"

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Where do you see that?
It shows 1.3 gain here: https://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/en/materials/studiotek-130-g4 under "specs".

https://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/Files/files/Support Material/Material Data Sheets/StudioTek 130 G4.pdf

It shows the same 1.3 and also says: "unmatched by competing gain screens. StudioTek 130 G4 is thirty percent brighter than
Definitely is 1.3 gain and Stewart is very accurate with their gain ratings.

Cima Neve is 1.1 gain. Maybe he was confused.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Where do you see that?

In four places actually but Stewart's own spec sheet is obviously the correct info...

In this review comparing rated gains (but this is Firehawk G4)
https://www.projectorcentral.com/ambient-light-rejection-screens-2.htm?page=Stewart-FireHawk-G4#Peak Gain

But StudioTek G4 in this review
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/screening-your-room-stewart-filmscreen-studiotek-100-and-studiotek-130-g3-page-2

Also this review comparing G3 and G4
https://www.audioholics.com/projector-screen-reviews/stewart-filmscreen-firehawk-g4-screen-review

and
vendor (scroll down)
https://www.abt.com/product/125002/Stewart-Filmscreen-Gray-FireHawk-G4-110-Standard-Solutions-Projection-Screen-007156110H.html

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,403 Posts
In four places actually but Stewart's own spec sheet is obviously the correct info...
Agreed, their specs are 1.3 not 1.1.

Firehawk G4 is not Studiotek G4, so this is irrelevant.

This is a review for G3, written before G4 even existed. The text "G4" does not even exist on this page.

Again, this is firehawk not studiotek. Different material.

Same thing. This is firehawk not studiotek. Please point me to one link that shows Studiotek 130 G3 is higher gain than Studiotek 130 G4.

·
Registered
15,071 Posts
Definitely is 1.3 gain and Stewart is very accurate with their gain ratings.

Cima Neve is 1.1 gain. Maybe he was confused.
I've seen calibrators measure the 1.3 Studiotek from 1.19 to 1.27, the accucal report was the highest at 1.27.
Average was 1.24... It's basically 1.2 unless you are in the perfect centered position, but not that far off 1.3.
However, it could be 1.3 as who knows the error range of the measurement techniques.

This is the older one I believe, Studiotek G3 1.3 gain...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Agreed, their specs are 1.3 not 1.1.

Firehawk G4 is not Studiotek G4, so this is irrelevant.

This is a review for G3, written before G4 even existed.

Again, this is firehawk not studiotek. Different material.

Same thing. This is firehawk not studiotek. Please point me to one link that shows Studiotek 130 G3 is higher gain than Studiotek 130 G4.
You're right... I was confused... so my original question was whether the StudioTek G4 is a better screen than the StudioTEK G3 and if so, how since as you point out both of 1.3.

·
Registered
8,403 Posts
You're right... I was confused... so my original question was whether the StudioTek G4 is a better screen than the StudioTEK G3 and if so, how since as you point out both of 1.3.
Your original question was how the Studiotek 130 G3 (1.3 gain) compared to the Studiotek 130 G4 (1.1 gain). So the focus here was just that they are both 1.3 gain.
So now that we agree they're both 1.3 gain, the G4 claims to have less sparkles than the G3. I have a G3 sample and have ordered a G4 sample to do a direct comparison. But there's a chance I'll order a G4 screen before the G4 sample arrives.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
They are almost identical in performance but the 4th generation is suppose to have less sparklies than the 3rd generation.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I've seen calibrators measure the 1.3 Studiotek from 1.19 to 1.27, the accucal report was the highest at 1.27.
Average was 1.24... It's basically 1.2 unless you are in the perfect centered position, but not that far off 1.3.
However, it could be 1.3 as who knows the error range of the measurement techniques.

This is the older one I believe, Studiotek G3 1.3 gain...
Yeah, I trust Stewart to be spot on with their gain specs more than random calibrator comments. Stewart has been the film industry standard for a long, long time.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Installed a Stewart ST130 G4 micro perf yesterday. Coming from a Silver Ticket WAB, no comparison, not even close. The Silver Ticket was a fine screen, the Stewart is a great screen. Everything from the packaging, to the assembly, to the mounting was top notch. If your looking for a screen with a higher gain, Stewart is hard to beat.

·
Registered
15,071 Posts
Installed a Stewart ST130 G4 micro perf yesterday. Coming from a Silver Ticket WAB, no comparison, not even close. The Silver Ticket was a fine screen, the Stewart is a great screen. Everything from the packaging, to the assembly, to the mounting was top notch. If your looking for a screen with a higher gain, Stewart is hard to beat.
Silver Ticket is heavily variable depending on which ST material. The 1.3 gain Silver Ticket was the best.

·
Premium Member
It is what it is
23,205 Posts
Hi folks...so the meta data said 1000/1000...I was watching it with “the boss” who doesn’t like me fiddling with any settings once the movie has started...So I had the NX7 set to Medium FBF...did anyone else find the orange palette to be a little over cooked? Were the blacks also a bit crushed? I wanted to set DTM to Auto but finally set it to high...what would auto have set DTM to? Also interested in if others found the video overcooked a bit...thanks folks

Which movie asharma ?

·
Registered
2,805 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
.........did anyone else find the orange palette to be a little over cooked? Were the blacks also a bit crushed? I wanted to set DTM to Auto but finally set it to high...what would auto have set DTM to? Also interested in if others found the video overcooked a bit...thanks folks
I would normally say we don't exactly know what the director's intent was. We have to rely on test paterns and known signal input and the proper measurement equipment to gain confidence the image we are viewing is correct.

This was a screen shot of the CalMan color checker I took while working on my RS3000 I believe.

Glen Carter
Home Theater Calibration
CalMan, Minolta CS-1000, Klein K10, Spyder5, Murideo SIX-G

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I would normally say we don't exactly know what the director's intent was. We have to rely on test paterns and known signal input and the proper measurement equipment to gain confidence the image we are viewing is correct.

This was a screen shot of the CalMan color checker I took while working on my RS3000 I believe.

Glen Carter
Home Theater Calibration

Sorry, you will need to interpret that for me...is that in regards to John Wick 3? What am I supposed to be seeing in the pic u attached? thanks

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Sorry, you will need to interpret that for me...is that in regards to John Wick 3? What am I supposed to be seeing in the pic u attached? thanks
This is in reference to anything you are watching.

If the display is properly calibrated and displaying all colors with small dE then you generally consider what you are seeing is as accurate as your display is capable. Perceived variables from there are generally the display limits, digital transfer errors or just personal preference.

The image of the Color checker shows the difference between known reference colors and display readings. The smaller the dE, the more accurate the color reproduction.
Generally, the largest errors will be in the 100% primary and secondary colors.

Glen Carter
Home Theater Calibration

Reactions: asharma

·
Registered
8,840 Posts

Glen Carter
Home Theater Calibration

Was that with the projector in the Frame Adapt HDR mode or HDR10 mode?

21481 - 21500 of 29391 Posts