AVS Forum banner

21501 - 21520 of 29397 Posts

·
Registered
28,778 Posts
I respectfully disagree..
Disagree with firmware can solve the problem or that firmware can't solve his problem? Because I know the first one is a fact. Several people have had it solved by firmware. But it can't always be solved by firmware. That is all I can say on this.

·
Registered
8,840 Posts
Were the blacks also a bit crushed? I wanted to set DTM to Auto but finally set it to high...what would auto have set DTM to? Also interested in if others found the video overcooked a bit...thanks folks
If the metadata is 1000/1000 then Auto will set DTM to Medium. The switching points are at 600 nots and 2000 nits.

·
Vendor
26,639 Posts
Hello! I was looking at getting a new used projector, particularly the Sony VPL 600es as I have been happy with my 40es. Unfortunately I was quickly turned off by the potential panel degredation issues I could run into, especially as it is an older projector.
Ya, you want to stand clear of that......

·
Registered
207 Posts
I noticed a yellowish circular spot on the bottom right of my NX5. It barely has 20hrs on it. I have the latest firmware update. Are there any fixes? Is this the yellow DI I've seen mentioned some pages back?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I noticed a yellowish circular spot on the bottom right of my NX5. It barely has 20hrs on it. I have the latest firmware update. Are there any fixes? Is this the yellow DI I've seen mentioned some pages back?

Can take pic? This is not the correct description of what a yellowing as a result of DI. Your description sounded something different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
389 Posts
Reliability Data Point

I have now had my NX9 for about 8 months, but with my theater still languishing for lack of time (I have a 22 month old), only have about 92 hours on it (about half of that this week while I've been on vacation).

To this point, it throws an amazing picture, super sharp on a 156" 2.35:1 Seymour Center Stage AT 1.1 gain screen with (to me) blinding whites in HDR mode (high lamp) in Cinema mode. I use zoom mode (4096 instead of 3840 pixels) and no anamorphic lens. I have started having friends over more since the Mandalorian came out, and even though I watched episodes 1-6 on our 70" 1080p RPTV, I'm watching it from the beginning on the NX9 and it's a NIGHT and DAY difference. The size of the picture and the sound is SO cinematic, the overall impact of the larger image is stunning despite the fact that the blacks are inferior to the DLP RPTV. (I have yet to paint the wall behind the AT screen black, and I don't have the doors blacked out - they have 4 frosted glass lites each.)

I'm on v2.00. I haven't felt the need to upgrade the firmware at this point. For those who have 3.10, is the frame adapt HDR function worth it?

·
Registered
207 Posts
The picture is attached.

That’️s not normal. Against a white background, does it remain as “yellow” or the blotch change colors as it move from scene to scene? It could be a dust blob.

It’s the same yellow color/size regardless of the scene. If it is a dust blob, what is a safe way to remove it?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
It’s the same yellow color/size regardless of the scene. If it is a dust blob, what is a safe way to remove it?

Afraid you have to send in to the service center to remove it if it is indeed dust blob. Any way to confirm is to go for a different orientation to say ceiling. Is the blotch still at the same location or change with the orientation?

·
Registered
207 Posts
It’️s the same yellow color/size regardless of the scene. If it is a dust blob, what is a safe way to remove it?

Afraid you have to send in to the service center to remove it if it is indeed dust blob. Any way to confirm is to go for a different orientation to say ceiling. Is the blotch still at the same location or change with the orientation?

Same location

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've seen calibrators measure the 1.3 Studiotek from 1.19 to 1.27, the accucal report was the highest at 1.27.
Average was 1.24... It's basically 1.2 unless you are in the perfect centered position, but not that far off 1.3.
However, it could be 1.3 as who knows the error range of the measurement techniques.

This is the older one I believe, Studiotek G3 1.3 gain...
FYI: Stewart's definitions:

A. Gain: The screen's luminance or brightness measured perpendicular to the screen center, measured relative to a calibrated gain standard, TPFE or equivalent, which serves as the standard for 1.0 gain. The gain shall be measured in accordance with SMPTE RP 94-2000.

B. Half Gain Viewing angle: The angle from the perpendicular center of the screen at which the light measured from the screen is equal to one half the value measured in the test for gain.

C. Gain Uniformity: The variation in light intensity measured perpendicular to any point on the screen as a percentage of the light intensity measured perpendicular to the center of the screen. The screen must be illuminated uniformly by using a collimated light source as simulated by a projector and lens with a throw ratio greater than 3 and an f stop number greater than f4.

D. Ambient Light Reflectivity: The amount of light reflected from the screen from undesirable off axis sources as a percentage of the light incident on the screen. The measurement is taken perpendicular to the screen and the light source is at 45 degrees from the perpendicular. The ambient light reflectivity is an indicator of the potential screen contrast which is independent of projector contrast ratio, room illumination level or room surface reflectivity.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Disagree with firmware can solve the problem or that firmware can't solve his problem? Because I know the first one is a fact. Several people have had it solved by firmware. But it can't always be solved by firmware. That is all I can say on this.
I disagree that the firmware will fix the issue. I had a couple of NX7 and NX9 projectors with this issue and with different versions of the firmware and it did not help. Originally I was told by JVC that the latest firmware would fix the issue and it did not. I was about to give up on this line of projectors when I received a call from a top engineer at JVC who told me it was a hardware issue that some of the projectors have and some don’t. He could not guarantee that it would not happen again but my chances would be good if I purchased another one.
I decided to try another NX9 and this one had the original firmware which I kept on the projector with no issues at all at 800hrs of use. I decided to update recently with the latest firmware and I have 1160 hrs with zero issues.

Reactions: markmon1

·
Vendor
26,639 Posts
I decided to try another NX9 and this one had the original firmware which I kept on the projector with no issues at all at 800hrs of use. I decided to update recently with the latest firmware and I have 1160 hrs with zero issues.
That's a good thing. I guess sometimes you just have to give thing another chance. So you went from a NX7 to a NX9, how did you like the jump?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,484 Posts

I think it is prudent to point out to potential 4K JVC Owners that out of 11 NX7 & NX9 s and 1 RS1000 units I have installed for individuals, only 1 developed a single Blue band after 3 hrs, and was promptly replaced by JVC with a "New" unit. All firmware upgrades have gone off with no hitches.

Now the Luck of the Irish might be the reason...or not. I only know that my repeated use of JVC on this particular model line has be a relatively carefree experience.

...........except for hanging the #%()^^&#*$&^!!! things! :mad:

·
Registered
140 Posts
I am @ 260 Hours. Projector started making little noises similar to ones we hear when lens change with changing of inputs. I used to her this sound when powered on or when shifting from SD to 4K HDR. Now this is frequent like every few mins. Is this settings issue or with projector? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
Hello,

Guys I just did a lengthy post on the JVC RS4500 dedicated thread as that's what I own.
But, I think what I experienced could just as easily happen and take place with any of you and your projectors or other H/T gear.
I don't think I should do a complete double-post but I will add the title as well as the link if any of you are interested.

Guys a worthwhile story I want to share with all of you ...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ultra-hi-end-ht-gear-20-000/2732545-official-jvc-rs4500-z1-owner-s-thread-125.html#post59010142

Just something to Think about and Consider guys in all your more expensive H/T purchases.

Terry

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Got this tonight while playing the Nintendo Switch on my RS2000. Hasn’t ever happened before, except something similar with my PS4 back on firmware 2.XX.

I’m able to switch inputs, and work the OSD menu. Neither sets it back to normal. I have to turn the projector off and then back on to correct the issues.

Switching from Natural to Cinema produces the second image. Seems odd.

Any ideas?

Got something similar to this again a few nights ago. Turning the projector off and turning it back on fixes it right away.

Running the latest firmware. Is this a firmware issue or projector issue? I’ve gotten it with multiple sources now.

21501 - 21520 of 29397 Posts