AVS Forum banner

21521 - 21540 of 29353 Posts

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
Hello,

Guys I just did a lengthy post on the JVC RS4500 dedicated thread as that's what I own.

But, I think what I experienced could just as easily happen and take place with any of you and your projectors or other H/T gear.

I don't think I should do a complete double-post but I will add the title as well as the link if any of you are interested.

Guys a worthwhile story I want to share with all of you ...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ultra-hi-end-ht-gear-20-000/2732545-official-jvc-rs4500-z1-owner-s-thread-125.html#post59010142

Just something to Think about and Consider guys in all your more expensive H/T purchases.

Terry
Thank you for sharing. You never know the strength of any relationship until it hits a speed bump. That is when you really discover what type of trust, understanding and empathy was there or was missing all along. Very glad to hear it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28,774 Posts
I noticed a yellowish circular spot on the bottom right of my NX5. It barely has 20hrs on it. I have the latest firmware update. Are there any fixes? Is this the yellow DI I've seen mentioned some pages back?
No, this is not the DI. Have you tried shifting the image up and down, to confirm that it moves with the shift. That confirms it is not on the screen.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Got something similar to this again a few nights ago. Turning the projector off and turning it back on fixes it right away.

Running the latest firmware. Is this a firmware issue or projector issue? I’ve gotten it with multiple sources now.

Looks like the same issue I had on my NX9. Found that it only did this on 2160p60 material on Netflix and Billy Lynns UHD disc. Sometimes it would happen with a few mins of playing 60 material and other times it would take over 2 hours for it to appear. The only way to fix it was to cycle power. Tested with 2 different UHD players and 3 different certified HDMI cables all with the same result. I worked with my dealer and JVC to get it fixed. Since I bought a B stock I had to send it in. That was ok with me since I was happy with my projector sample. They replaced the main board and had a turned the projector around in under 9 days. No issues since. I had the issue start in the firmware 2.X and waited till 3.1 came out but it didn't resolve the issue.

Attachments

Reactions: ScottieBoysName

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Looks like the same issue I had on my NX9. Found that it only did this on 2160p60 material on Netflix and Billy Lynns UHD disc. Sometimes it would happen with a few mins of playing 60 material and other times it would take over 2 hours for it to appear. The only way to fix it was to cycle power. Tested with 2 different UHD players and 3 different certified HDMI cables all with the same result. I worked with my dealer and JVC to get it fixed. Since I bought a B stock I had to send it in. That was ok with me since I was happy with my projector sample. They replaced the main board and had a turned the projector around in under 9 days. No issues since. I had the issue start in the firmware 2.X and waited till 3.1 came out but it didn't resolve the issue.

That’s the first time I’ve had that color combination come up. Others have been black and blue.

Mine is not a B-Stock, so if it continues or becomes more frequent I may have to do something.

·
Registered
15,071 Posts
FYI: Stewart's definitions:

A. Gain: The screen's luminance or brightness measured perpendicular to the screen center, measured relative to a calibrated gain standard, TPFE or equivalent, which serves as the standard for 1.0 gain. The gain shall be measured in accordance with SMPTE RP 94-2000.

B. Half Gain Viewing angle: The angle from the perpendicular center of the screen at which the light measured from the screen is equal to one half the value measured in the test for gain.

C. Gain Uniformity: The variation in light intensity measured perpendicular to any point on the screen as a percentage of the light intensity measured perpendicular to the center of the screen. The screen must be illuminated uniformly by using a collimated light source as simulated by a projector and lens with a throw ratio greater than 3 and an f stop number greater than f4.

D. Ambient Light Reflectivity: The amount of light reflected from the screen from undesirable off axis sources as a percentage of the light incident on the screen. The measurement is taken perpendicular to the screen and the light source is at 45 degrees from the perpendicular. The ambient light reflectivity is an indicator of the potential screen contrast which is independent of projector contrast ratio, room illumination level or room surface reflectivity.
It's possible the real gain is 1.3, but it's very rare that any screen MFR's claimed gain is going to match exactly.

I probably would not try to exactly account for every variable, as it just introduces a larger potential error. You just need a known neutral material that is 1.0 gain, measure that. Then measure the different parts of the gain screen and optionally move the projector around to different common mountable angles. It is plenty accurate if your technique is correct.

I think when Steve Wozniak was designing the Apple, he said that a lot of other industrial designs used advanced calculus to decode some of the signals, whereas he changed it to basic algebra and had better and more accurate results.

·
Premium Member
9,824 Posts
Reading through this thread as of late , and yet people still think there are no issues with the NX series ..:confused:

The mind boggles...
What is your agenda exactly?

Which projector is better than the NX series and doesn't have any issue?

No one is saying that there are no issues in the NX series. Like any projector, especially a first year model, there is going to be some teething issues. That goes with the territory.

But quite a few people (myself included) have had hundred of hours of trouble-free enjoyment, including with early units, on the best projector available today at this price point.

And those who have had issues have had them fixed either through a firmware update or with a unit replacement.

The most vocal people about issues in these series are those who don't own one, like yourself, and live in a country where support is poor.

I see lots of FUD spread in this thread about hypothetical dust blobs (yes, there might be one case, but it doesn't make it a problem for every unit) and issues that have been solved either by f/w upgrade or by unit replacement.

It's really wrong to imply that there are lots of people unhappy with their purchase. I don't see (m)any.

So again, instead of keeping pointing at issues, please let us know what is a clearly better option today at the same price point. That would be more constructive.

People can wait forever for perfection, which doesn't exist in the projection world. But if they have to buy today, well, they have to make a choice, and the NX series is simply the best available choice today, by far.

Perfect, no, nothing is, but excellent and better than anything at that price point, certainly, especially for those with a dedicated room and a light controlled environment.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I noticed a yellowish circular spot on the bottom right of my NX5. It barely has 20hrs on it. I have the latest firmware update. Are there any fixes? Is this the yellow DI I've seen mentioned some pages back?
No, this is not the DI. Have you tried shifting the image up and down, to confirm that it moves with the shift. That confirms it is not on the screen.
It shifted with the image on the screen.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Reading through this thread as of late , and yet people still think there are no issues with the NX series ..:confused:

The mind boggles...
What a difference a year hence can make. :wink:

I'm curious if JVC will learn from its past product roll out challenges and endeavor to be better the next time out of the gate?

Correct me if I have this wrong, but when you consider the eshift 5, rs4500/Z1 and NX series, didn't the roll out challenges get progressively complicated?

I would hope someone in QC has been taking notes and looking into how these rough edges were released upon paying customers.

What interest is served by choosing to forget or attacking appropriate criticism and reflection?

Certainly not the interest of potential customers for what may come next from JVC. I'd feel much better knowing JVC has embraced responsibility for its mistakes, and was committed to whatever changes would improve upon the ownership experience of their next gen products. Otherwise, a growing number of buyers might be less inclined to be early adopters, and justifiably so.

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
What a difference a year hence can make. :wink:

I'm curious if JVC will learn from its past product roll out challenges and endeavor to be better the next time out of the gate?

Correct me if I have this wrong, but when you consider the eshift 5, rs4500/Z1 and NX series, didn't the roll out challenges get progressively complicated?

I would hope someone in QC has been taking notes and looking into how these rough edges were released upon paying customers.

What interest is served by choosing to forget or attacking appropriate criticism and reflection?

Certainly not the interest of potential customers for what may come next from JVC. I'd feel much better knowing JVC has embraced responsibility for its mistakes, and was committed to whatever changes would improve upon the ownership experience of their next gen products. Otherwise, a growing number of buyers might be less inclined to be early adopters, and justifiably so.
This right here is true. That is really the way for early adopters of all technology products. I wonder how many people wish they waited and bought second generation. My guess is probably not too many. Even with all the beta testing by paying customers it seems like JVC has been receptive to issues and feedback. They did provide an amazing free Dynamic Tone Mapping Update via firmware. That goodwill gesture indicates to me that maybe they get that this first generation wasn't as polished as they would have liked.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
My agenda..... My agenda is to stick my head into the "Firing Line" / "Ruffle Feathers" once again and in the due process cop flak from anyone who does not like or appreciate ANY negativity towards their beloved JVC..... i am a "Big Boy" ...i can handle it.

I am a HUGE JVC fan, i have/had nearly every JVC model over the last few years , but i will not bury my head in the sand.

JVC as we all know read these forums, if enough people like myself and other,s "***** and "Moan" about issues , they take note and come up with a fix/solution.....which is great for everybody.

In the past i have done exactly this .....last example was my very troublesome X9500..... many of us "Bitched and Moaned" repeatably....JVC eventually fixed the issues.

Some people purchase these projectors, with the intent of having them for an extended period of time , and for some people the initial purchase price is a real struggle and when they do make the purchase they feel a sense of pride in the onwership!

Thus, having your new and expensive "Pride and Joy" experience issues first hand, and then to hear many others are in the same situation really detracts from the initial excitment and enthusiasm of your purchase!

The USA is VERY well setup in regards to warranty/exchange on faulty PJ,s JVC USA need to be commended on this as well as their dealers....this makes any issues less of a problem due to support and such.

Here in OZ, well we are NOT so lucky!!!! many users here past and present face a very long drawn out process if they experince any isuues.....

The NX series projectors throw an awesome image for sure BUT long term reliability is something i question.

Yep, there and many users having a complete trouble free experience such as yourself , BUT there are many who are not.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I had a similar problem with my RS1000. First it was intermittent and then became more frequent. Support said it is usually related to firmware versus a hardware failure. Don't know if that is true or not but that is what I was told. The unit was replaced with new and haven't had the problem since. If it continues, get a replacement.
I would absolutely have it replaced. Forget about updating the firmware. I had two with this issue and it did not make a difference when i updated the firmware.

Reactions: ScottieBoysName

·
Registered
15,071 Posts
Not that much to be concerned about when almost everyone has a valid warranty, it is an annoyance though. Some may need to get a backup unit, cheap DLP, so if problems arise they aren't out a display. When you watch a cheap DLP, and your JVC is down temporarily, you appreciate it that much more when it comes back online.

·
Premium Member
9,824 Posts
My agenda..... My agenda is to stick my head into the "Firing Line" / "Ruffle Feathers" once again and in the due process cop flak from anyone who does not like or appreciate ANY negativity towards their beloved JVC..... i am a "Big Boy" ...i can handle it.

I am a HUGE JVC fan, i have/had nearly every JVC model over the last few years , but i will not bury my head in the sand.

JVC as we all know read these forums, if enough people like myself and other,s "***** and "Moan" about issues , they take note and come up with a fix/solution.....which is great for everybody.

In the past i have done exactly this .....last example was my very troublesome X9500..... many of us "Bitched and Moaned" repeatably....JVC eventually fixed the issues.

Some people purchase these projectors, with the intent of having them for an extended period of time , and for some people the initial purchase price is a real struggle and when they do make the purchase they feel a sense of pride in the onwership!

Thus, having your new and expensive "Pride and Joy" experience issues first hand, and then to hear many others are in the same situation really detracts from the initial excitment and enthusiasm of your purchase!

The USA is VERY well setup in regards to warranty/exchange on faulty PJ,s JVC USA need to be commended on this as well as their dealers....this makes any issues less of a problem due to support and such.

Here in OZ, well we are NOT so lucky!!!! many users here past and present face a very long drawn out process if they experince any isuues.....

The NX series projectors throw an awesome image for sure BUT long term reliability is something i question.

Yep, there and many users having a complete trouble free experience such as yourself , BUT there are many who are not.
I am really not one who keeps quiet when there are issues, and can't really be suspected of being a fanboy, for example:

- yellowing of the DI and blooming of highlights in HDR on some rs1000/2000 in some situations (resolved by disabling the DI or setting the manual iris to a closer position)
- forced YCC422 in 12bits irrespective of the input signal

I've been quite vocal about these (as much as could be helpful/productive) and I’m still hoping that these will be resolved, but it doesn’t prevent me from enjoying my unit. And to be fair, both of these issues were already present in previous models.

Your statement was different. You were piggy-backing on a few recent posts from users having (genuine) issues, insinuating that these issues were present for all/most users.

There will always be issues with projectors due to the technology, shipping etc.

I know that you have specific support issues in Australia, but then moan about this specifically instead of doing what you do, which is spreading pure FUD for anyone reading this thread.

So I still have questions for you, if you don’t want me to question your agenda:

1) If we put aside Australia, are you aware of many users who have had problems and whose problems have not been resolved by a fw update or a unit repair/replacement, as of today? I'm talking about people purchasing from a reputable, approved JVC dealer, not users buying from a box-pusher on e-bay and then wondering why they don't get support from their dealer.

2) As you seem to suggest that the NX series is a bad choice due to “issues”, which product would you suggest that is as good or better, in the same price range, and has no issues?

I’m not being facetious, so please reply in a constructive way.

Again, apart from a few users who have genuine issues (usually promptly resolved with the help of their dealers as far as I can see), I don’t see many non-australian user left stranded by JVC.

I do see quite a few RS4500/Z1 users who seem to be so frustrated by their unit that they spend a lot of time in this thread rubbishing models they don’t own. :)

Which is why I question your agenda, or at least if you are aware of the way your posts come accross.

You are complaining about models you don’t own because you get poor support in your country. That sucks, and I feel for you, but that’s not a reason to give the impression that the best range of projectors available today in this price range has “issues”.

There are some minor issues such as those I mentioned, and there are some unlucky users mostly due to shipping issues (my unit was double boxed and I’m sure it helped).

But as far as I can see, most users are very happy with their purchase once they got a working unit.

Again, if there are any non-australian users left hanging by JVC, I don’t know who they are, and they are not “many”, as far as I know.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
That's a good thing. I guess sometimes you just have to give thing another chance. So you went from a NX7 to a NX9, how did you like the jump?
I feel the NX9 got me closer to the black levels I had on my RS500. Still not quite the Black level of my RS500, but a lot closer then the NX7.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts

The mind boggles...
Woofer Do you have one of the new JVC?

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
The owner's thread here may seem as if the NX series should be avoided. I had a hdmi handshaking issue with a longer certified cable that needed to be changed out. It was annoying but its corrected now. The RS2000/N7 has been excellent and I'm at 500 hours so far.

·
Registered
14,460 Posts
I feel the NX9 got me closer to the black levels I had on my RS500. Still not quite the Black level of my RS500, but a lot closer then the NX7.
That is interesting as I've seen contrast reports where the NX7 and NX9 are pretty close. However, perhaps the superior lens is helping with subtle glare, reflections, etc. in content allowing better black.

21521 - 21540 of 29353 Posts