AVS Forum banner

22901 - 22920 of 29577 Posts

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
Alright, well, I've decided I'm going to become an owner, thanks for all the support answering questions :)

Still haven't made the purchase just yet, but now I need to know, what's a good UHD Blu-ray player to pair with the RS2000 for HDR ($500 or less)? Samba+mkv support would be nice (like on my existing Oppo 103).

ETA: I want good upscaling of 1080p to 4K as well, since I've heard the JVC upscaling isn't the greatest, and DVD upscaling should be adequate as well.
Panasonic ub420. Great upscaling. Won't do the things your Oppo does but it is a great UHD PLAYER. Super low price. Build quality not great. You could look at the Panasonic 9000 but seems way overpriced for the little audio upgrades and Dobly Vision support.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
735 Posts
Panasonic ub420. Great upscaling. Won't do the things your Oppo does but it is a great UHD PLAYER. Super low price. Build quality not great. You could look at the Panasonic 9000 but seems way overpriced for the little audio upgrades and Dobly Vision support.
Thanks, I guess I should have also mentioned I'll only be using the HDMI output, so analog audio isn't important.

So, someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that these JVCs only support HDR10, not HDR10+ or Dolby Vision, right? And also that HDR+ and Dolby Vision both include HDR10 compatible streams, so there's no point in having a source capable of those, right?

And on the same note, my Roku Ultra should work for 4K/HDR as well, right? It will be getting HDR10+ or Dolby Vision from the streaming source, but the projector can still use the HDR10 core?

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
Thanks, I guess I should have also mentioned I'll only be using the HDMI output, so analog audio isn't important.

So, someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that these JVCs only support HDR10, not HDR10+ or Dolby Vision, right? And also that HDR+ and Dolby Vision both include HDR10 compatible streams, so there's no point in having a source capable of those, right?

And on the same note, my Roku Ultra should work for 4K/HDR as well, right? It will be getting HDR10+ or Dolby Vision from the streaming source, but the projector can still use the HDR10 core?
Yes you will always be able to do HDR10 on your projector from UHD player and from ROKU players. Obviously streaming HDR will be dependent on the app support for HDR on that streaming device. You don't need Dolby Vision hence why I suggested the 420. It shares much of the same video performance of the 9000 at less than 25% of the price.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,450 Posts
I told you the same thing in the post before that one and I even explained why. Did you think I was guessing? :(
Sorry, I read your answer but didnt get the blunt response that these guys above gave me so it didnt sink in.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I would not use your other solution. The combination of lifting the cart on the platform and making sure it is stable would be too much for me. If I did do it, I would definitely have 2-3 people to help. But, I'm not saying that it definitely would not work.

I gather that you don't save old shipping boxes, so my method of using the shipping box and styrofoam inserts as a cradle would not work for you. The projector is rounded so it would not be very stable placing it on a flat surface and it would be more difficult lining it up with the Chief mount. I would definitely have 2 helpers for that case.
Actually, I don't think I your post at full attention. I am a box saver, and I do have the original JVC box with the packing materials. I'll have to look into using the foam insert to stabilize the PJ and using another box for additional height. I just ordered the lift table and work platform. I'll try your way first. I'm not sure if I kept my subwoofer boxes, those would be nice for height. Either way, I would probably not attempt this without help.

·
Registered
15,071 Posts
I was talking about coderguy...
In any case, being able to tell the difference between the projector's max black and black velvet does not mean that watching without black velvet is such a bad experience that the masking is necessary - unless you've gotten accustomed to the velvet.
Not a bad experience, but you are in the realm of videophile and enthusiasts always trying to improve things, and it's a significant difference (more difference than say changing screen materials - usually anyhow). As far as not having updated the calculator, it's a lot of work to keep up with, I'll probably get back around to it one of these days.

10 screens was a bit of a joke, but I wouldn't be against 10 screens with 3-5 projectors sounds about right. The reason for different screens is I dislike using ND filters, and a lot of my projectors do not have apertures like JVC's do. That is only one reason, another is for 3D when lamp starts to wear out. Another is varying screen aspects and sizes, because once you have multiple screens - motorized masking is a pain, it's quite complicated to setup with multiple screens, and not as necessary. That said, I may still motorize my flush wall screen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You could try the G3 setting. You probably have a G2 screen. The SST stands for " Sony Short Throw " if I recall. I wouldn't pick that.
Thanks, guys! I tried 74, the screen adjustment for firehawk g3, and I think the image improved!
I have some doubts mine is a g2, at that time I don’t recall anyone speaking of a g2, so, it may well be a g1. But it still rocks, image is now fantastic with the N7.
By the way, it does have a one inch thick black velvet frame, and I think it makes a big difference... it creates a shadow zone close to the front wall (which is not black in my living room).

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just added a new ROKU Ultra to my RS2000 (through a Marantz AV8805) and while the 4K 60hz signal setting from the Roku displays fine, I get occasional "dropouts" when I switch Roku's output to the 4K HDR setting. I have no issues with HDR detection through my Panny 9000 or Oppo so I'm a bit confused. Anyone with an Ultra experiencing this? (If not, any idea why these dropouts would be happening?)

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
I just added a new ROKU Ultra to my RS2000 (through a Marantz AV8805) and while the 4K 60hz signal setting from the Roku displays fine, I get occasional "dropouts" when I switch Roku's output to the 4K HDR setting. I have no issues with HDR detection through my Panny 9000 or Oppo so I'm a bit confused. Anyone with an Ultra experiencing this? (If not, any idea why these dropouts would be happening?)
Handshaking=delayed response times. Sounds pretty normal. Some AVR's have less handshake issues. If more than 15-30 seconds I would say that would be unusual. That could point to an HDMI cable issue. With the UHD player you really aren't switching beyond setup menu and hitting play.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,450 Posts
If dropouts mid video, then sounds like a cable problem. Swap the cable with the panny 9000 since you say that one works ok. Although the panny isn't sending 4k/60 its sending 4k24 which requires way less bandwidth. To that end, why are you using 4k60 on the roku not 4k24?

·
Registered
947 Posts
Actually, I don't think I your post at full attention. I am a box saver, and I do have the original JVC box with the packing materials. I'll have to look into using the foam insert to stabilize the PJ and using another box for additional height. I just ordered the lift table and work platform. I'll try your way first. I'm not sure if I kept my subwoofer boxes, those would be nice for height. Either way, I would probably not attempt this without help.
That sounds like the way to do it. Good luck!

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
Ultramatte is a thicker base layer for larger screen sizes, the coating is identical for any specific gain type.

I just completed a review of the G4 ST130 material for Sound and Vision, that should publish in the near future. I found the G4 to be a noticeable upgrade from the G3 version, especially in terms of the artifacts imparted by the screen's coating on the image.

The ST150 reminds me more of the texture one would get from something like an older Black Diamond, way beyond the threshold I'd be okay with.

We can discuss any calibration specifics offline, just shoot me an email for any details on that.
I got the Ultramatte 150 sample today and you're right its way too sparkly. The 130 G4, however, is great. It seems slightly brighter than the G3 sample with less sparkle. I'm glad I stalled out so long getting a screen. The ST130 G4 is perfect. I have it ordered. Sounds like they're sending an Ultramatte 130 due to stock issues with ST130.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If dropouts mid video, then sounds like a cable problem. Swap the cable with the panny 9000 since you say that one works ok. Although the panny isn't sending 4k/60 its sending 4k24 which requires way less bandwidth. To that end, why are you using 4k60 on the roku not 4k24?
1. The "dropouts" on 4k60 HDR are about every 10 seconds but yes, switching the ROKU to 4K24 works fine.

2. To answer your specific point, I was selecting the highest resolution that the ROKU said it was detecting (which was 4k60 HDR). I guess my incorrect assumption was that if the ROKU was not set on the higher HDR resolution, it would NOT stream HDR content to the projector. (?)

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
1. The "dropouts" on 4k60 HDR are about every 10 seconds but yes, switching the ROKU to 4K24 works fine.

2. To answer your specific point, I was selecting the highest resolution that the ROKU said it was detecting (which was 4k60 HDR). I guess my incorrect assumption was that if the ROKU was not set on the higher HDR resolution, it would NOT stream HDR content to the projector. (?)
How long is your HDMI cable run from your AVR to your projector? Fiber optic cable? Did you check that your cables all support 4K/60FPS HDR? Dropping out during playback is not normal and obviously unacceptable.

·
Registered
8,450 Posts

Almost all content is 4K/24. Selecting 4k/60 just increases the amount of HDMI bandwidth required and also causes the Roku to double frames where needed to make 24 fps fit into 60 fps, which it doesn't - so you incur judder. Yea, 99% chance you have a cable problem. It could be the cable from roku to AVR or from AVR to projector. 4K/60 requires the full 18gbit bandwidth. 4k/24 can possibly be closer to 10gbit.

In the meantime, set 4K24 and enjoy your projector until you get around to debugging your cable problems. Then you can go back to 4k24 so the video is smooth again anyway.

·
Registered
28,840 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Not a bad experience, but you are in the realm of videophile and enthusiasts always trying to improve things, and it's a significant difference (more difference than say changing screen materials - usually anyhow).
You aren't enjoying anything close to a decent UHD front projection experience by going for cheaply made or otherwise defunct products. What's the point?! If you enjoy home theater, then learn how to do it right - both for sound and video.

Please add your current set-up to your signature.

Reactions: llang269

·
Vendor
26,699 Posts
Alright, well, I've decided I'm going to become an owner, thanks for all the support answering questions :)
Still haven't made the purchase just yet, but now I need to know, what's a good UHD Blu-ray player to pair with the RS2000 for HDR ($500 or less)? Samba+mkv support would be nice (like on my existing Oppo 103).
ETA: I want good upscaling of 1080p to 4K as well, since I've heard the JVC upscaling isn't the greatest, and DVD upscaling should be adequate as well.
Great news is you don't need to spend a lot of cash to get a good player. Panasonic DP-UB420 is the way to roll. Anything else would be overkill and probably not needed by most.

It shares much of the same video performance of the 9000 at less than 25% of the price.
I bet most people would notice no difference who run the new JVC projectors. Now for a 540U, the Panasonic DP-UB9000 may make sense.

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
Great nes is you don't need to spend a lot of cash to get a good player. Panasonic DP-UB420 is the way to roll. Anything else would be overkill and probably not needed by most.

I bet most people would notice no difference who run the new JVC projectors. Now for a 540U, the Panasonic DP-UB9000 may make sense.
Agree for other projectors the 9000 offers that 350 nits setting when using the optimizer. Can be a big difference for eshift projectors such as the previous generation JVC projectors that struggle with HDR. Same with current and previous Epson projectors.

·
Registered
735 Posts
JVC's website only lists the RF emitter for 3D. Does anyone know if the older IR emitters work with the current models (my IR 3D emitter is from the RS40). Also, is there any benefit to the JVC glasses, or are the (much cheaper) XPANDs just as good?

22901 - 22920 of 29577 Posts