AVS Forum banner

23701 - 23720 of 29485 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
The issue I refer to would affect the whole letter. If it’s just the top that sounds like a convergence issue.
There is no glow/convergence issues on a rectangle pattern grid when I engage lens control -> Pixel Adjust. What would be the reason then? Subsampling issues for 4:2:0?

·
Vendor
26,659 Posts
I love Monoprice and I have their fiber optic 18gbps for my projector....but I do not see word certified anywhere on any of the so-called 48Gbps cables. I think they would be in HUGE trouble from the HDMI org if they were to use it when not certified.
Does not mean they could not pass certification either. I myself would leave it to the cable pro's, I would sure hope they have tested them to 48Gbps. Monoprice has been in the game for at least 20 years, Sean, the founder was a cool vendor to have before he sold the company. I guess once they release a output devise that can do HDMI 2.1 someone can test cables from head to toe and at that point we will know all the capabilities of these said cables....lol

@rwestley mentioned yesterday, "I have found that the Ruipro fiber optic cables really work for the long run from the source to the projector. Regarding the other cables it can be hit or miss. Apple TV has a way to test the cables you use with it. I tried 5 different short cables to get it to pass the test. for 4k/60fps.
Even some certified cables failed." Who knows if the certified cables out there are up to snuff. Glad there are no issues with my Fiber HDMI ;)

·
Registered
8,846 Posts
There is no glow/convergence issues on a rectangle pattern grid when I engage lens control -> Pixel Adjust. What would be the reason then? Subsampling issues for 4:2:0?
Not sure. Did you set MPC Enhancement to 0?

·
Premium Member
3,798 Posts
I also did a search for certified Ultra high speed HDMI cables and have not turned up anything yet. I am sure we will see them soon with the silver tag .
The reason you did not find any certified Ultra cables is because the certification testing program has not yet begun. The new testing program was only just announced in January this year. The announcement did not include a timeline for when testing will begin.

Reactions: rwestley

·
Registered
7,600 Posts
The reason you did not find any certified Ultra cables is because the certification testing program has not yet begun. The new testing program was only just announced in January this year. The announcement did not include a timeline for when testing will begin.
Thanks, That explains why nothing has turned up. I am sure Monoprice and others will get some of their cables certified. This should be a help in finding the cables that will work.

·
Registered
28,796 Posts
This is a genuine question and not snark.

Why would anyone switch sources with JVC vs switch it at the AVR or the video processor?
I believe most of us do not connect sources directly to the projector - what am I missing?

With my amazon basics 25 ft cable from JVC to Anthem I have never witnessed any issue with handshake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Many people use both inputs on the JVC. For example if your AVR does not pass 4K, you would connect that to one input and have your 4K UHD player connect directly to second input on the projector.

But if even when you have your AVR doing the source selection, whenever you switch sources with the AVR, you are re-establishing the HDMI connection and get a delay. If you switch resolution on the same source, you are re-establishing the HDMI connection and get a delay. The delay with my setup (Marantz prepro, RS3000 and Lumagen) is about six to 8 seconds.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
You make the statement that you "know the cables are not at fault because they work with other equipment. I once thought that that would be true but I have discovered that it is not always the case. HDMI has been a mess since the beginning. Over the years I have found that there is often a lot of trial and error to get things to work. I have also used many Monoprice cables for over 10 years and they are usually great. That being said, I have had issues with even a few of their 4k certified cables with the Apple TV on 4k 60fps with a friends NX7(2000) We tried 5 or 6 different cables with the Apple TV streamer and finally got one to pass the test. Another friend has a Sony projector and the same Monoprice cables that failed with the JVC worked with the Sony. I can only conclude that it is a combination of factors that can cause HDMI issues. It is "hit or miss." i agree that it could be "luck of the draw." as you say with the RS3000 NX7 but It still may be worth trying different cables to see if you can improve the Handshake times.

This is the one cable that we used that passed the Apple TV test. It was the 6 foot one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NXPS94Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was used in combo with a Marantz receiver and Ruipro 30' fiber optic cable to the JVC receiver. We also tried the certified 4k 6' Monoprice cables and they do work with other streamers and players at 4k/60 including a Roku and UHD player. My friend also thought it was crazy to try all these cables until things finally worked. (Then he was happy.) Blame all of this on HDMI implementation.

I also did a search for certified Ultra high speed HDMI cables and have not turned up anything yet. I am sure we will see them soon with the silver tag .
I also noticed that Monoprice now has a 8k cable that might be worth trying. It is also not certified yet.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=31230
Some have had success with it with the Apple TV. The Belkin HDMI cable also is recommended by Apple but it is very expensive for a 6 foot one.
I know you are trying to help but I don't think you are paying attention. I am using the Monoprice 8k cables that you said might be worth trying.

I also know for a fact that it is not a cable issue because I didn't have the problem with other JVC RS3000 projectors in the same setup using the same cables. The only thing different was that I exchanged projectors.

Third, I have an AppleTV and I can easily pass the cable test. Not only that, I can watch full 4k 4:4:4 60hz ultraHDR content without any issues once a successful handshake is negotiated. It isn't a cable problem. It is a JVC problem and it is frequently reported on these boards. How it manifests itself is an occasional screw up of the handshake when switching video inputs. Usually when changing both resolution and frame rate. In my case it may happen when going from AppleTV Amazon streaming to Satellite TV. This will result in sound, but a locked screen of vertical color bars and/or solid screens of color. You can't see the remote onscreen display as the video is locked up. It can be corrected by un-plugging and re-plugging the HDMI input cable or by switching inputs and switching back. It happens occasionally, not every time but maybe 1 in 8 times I switch inputs. It isn't a cable issue. It is a JVC issue.

Sorry I caused a commotion with my statement that I was using certified 48Gbps cables. I realize now that there isn't any certification for these cables yet. I thought these were already certified because their 4K cables were certified but they are just advertised as 8k 120Hz 4:4:4 48Gbps bandwidth. Still my issue isn't a cable problem and I find it hard to believe that these higher end 48 Gbps cables would not be able to carry 18Gbps bandwidth. They have never failed any bandwidth test and like I said work fine with all other 4k displays I have attached to them including other RS3000 projectors.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Looking into JVC nx5/7 A bit. I keep reading to get max contrast you close an iris?

How many lummens are there at max contrast?

This manual iris is the same as using a nutrual density filter to achieve a given foot lamberts or something else?

Also in a batcave theater that you can't see your hand in when the lights are out does the nx5 or nx7 support a fade to back effect where you eyes have to adjust on all black scenes?
For what it's worth I just had my NX5 calibrated. Before calibration I was getting 26ft lamberts in SDR mode with the iris at -7
After calibration I have 16 ft lamberts in my SDR reference mode at -13 iris and 22 ft lamberts in bright sdr mode with a 0 iris.
My HDR is 130 nits with 0 iris setting.

Have not watched any SDR yet but my HDR picture is much improved.:D

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
This is a genuine question and not snark.

Why would anyone switch sources with JVC vs switch it at the AVR or the video processor?
I believe most of us do not connect sources directly to the projector - what am I missing?

With my amazon basics 25 ft cable from JVC to Anthem I have never witnessed any issue with handshake

What you're missing was my next post, less than two and a half hours after the one you quote, and nine hours before your post, in which I said:

"My AVR is a Yamaha RX-A3070, and all HDMI connections go through it - no bypasses involved."

So no, I don't switch sources with the projector. It has precisely one HDMI cable plugged into it, coming from the AVR. All the sources are plugged into the AVR, and all of the cables are 6' certified HDR HDMI cables.

What is your handshake time to come out of blackness? It seems that almost everyone who responded to me has the same 15 second handshake time.

Reactions: markmon1

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
@rwestley mentioned yesterday, "I have found that the Ruipro fiber optic cables really work for the long run from the source to the projector. Regarding the other cables it can be hit or miss. Apple TV has a way to test the cables you use with it. I tried 5 different short cables to get it to pass the test. for 4k/60fps.
Even some certified cables failed." Who knows if the certified cables out there are up to snuff. Glad there are no issues with my Fiber HDMI ;)
I am using the Ruipro Fibre Optic "8K" cables...they have been fantastic....:)

Attachments

·
Registered
28,796 Posts
I know you are trying to help but I don't think you are paying attention. I am using the Monoprice 8k cables that you said might be worth trying.

I also know for a fact that it is not a cable issue because I didn't have the problem with other JVC RS3000 projectors in the same setup using the same cables. The only thing different was that I exchanged projectors.

Third, I have an AppleTV and I can easily pass the cable test. Not only that, I can watch full 4k 4:4:4 60hz ultraHDR content without any issues once a successful handshake is negotiated. It isn't a cable problem. It is a JVC problem and it is frequently reported on these boards. How it manifests itself is an occasional screw up of the handshake when switching video inputs. Usually when changing both resolution and frame rate. In my case it may happen when going from AppleTV Amazon streaming to Satellite TV. This will result in sound, but a locked screen of vertical color bars and/or solid screens of color. You can't see the remote onscreen display as the video is locked up. It can be corrected by un-plugging and re-plugging the HDMI input cable or by switching inputs and switching back. It happens occasionally, not every time but maybe 1 in 8 times I switch inputs. It isn't a cable issue. It is a JVC issue.

Sorry I caused a commotion with my statement that I was using certified 48Gbps cables. I realize now that there isn't any certification for these cables yet. I thought these were already certified because their 4K cables were certified but they are just advertised as 8k 120Hz 4:4:4 48Gbps bandwidth. Still my issue isn't a cable problem and I find it hard to believe that these higher end 48 Gbps cables would not be able to carry 18Gbps bandwidth. They have never failed any bandwidth test and like I said work fine with all other 4k displays I have attached to them including other RS3000 projectors.
I agree, not a cable issue. Shoot me a picture of what you are seeing.

·
Registered
28,796 Posts
For what it's worth I just had my NX5 calibrated. Before calibration I was getting 26ft lamberts in SDR mode with the iris at -7
After calibration I have 16 ft lamberts in my SDR reference mode at -13 iris and 22 ft lamberts in bright sdr mode with a 0 iris.
My HDR is 130 nits with 0 iris setting.

Have not watched any SDR yet but my HDR picture is much improved.:D
Who did your calibration? If you were at 26FL iris -7 and now you are 22FL iris 0, you have lost too much light with your calibration.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Who did your calibration? If you were at 26FL iris -7 and now you are 22FL iris 0, you have lost too much light with your calibration.
Calibration done by Chad B. I assume the lower light output was intentional for better contrast? Lots of other setting changes made during the calibration. Some quick demo material we viewed together looked plenty bright at 22FL. I'll double check those numbers when I get home but pretty sure they are correct.

·
Registered
28,796 Posts
Calibration done by Chad B. I assume the lower light output was intentional for better contrast? Lots of other setting changes made during the calibration. Some quick demo material we viewed together looked plenty bright at 22FL. I'll double check those numbers when I get home but pretty sure they are correct.
Your numbers do not sound correct. If you were at 26FL and -7 iris before calibration, you should have more than 22FL with iris at 0 after calibration.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
What you're missing was my next post, less than two and a half hours after the one you quote, and nine hours before your post, in which I said:

"My AVR is a Yamaha RX-A3070, and all HDMI connections go through it - no bypasses involved."

So no, I don't switch sources with the projector. It has precisely one HDMI cable plugged into it, coming from the AVR. All the sources are plugged into the AVR, and all of the cables are 6' certified HDR HDMI cables.

What is your handshake time to come out of blackness? It seems that almost everyone who responded to me has the same 15 second handshake time.

Relax man - as I said in my post no snark was implied and it was a genuine question.

Mike Garrett already answered my question. When changing sources with my Anthem (connected to HDMI 1 on JVC) I am at about 7-8 seconds - no where close to 15 seconds. I will check again with a stop watch and revert back

·
Registered
75 Posts
Your numbers do not sound correct. If you were at 26FL and -7 iris before calibration, you should have more than 22FL with iris at 0 after calibration.
I hear what your saying and it does seem counter intuitive to get less light with a more open iris. I am new to getting calibrations done so don't understand how all the changes besides the iris setting may affect total light output?
I also am assuming he took the base measurement with my -7 iris setting that I was running when he got there. I guess he may have zeroed out the iris setting before taking that measurement? Not sure what the protocol is for the "base reading". I will see if his reports verify the base iris setting at the time of the measurement. Also going to watch an SDR movie tonight and see how it looks.

Other than the lower light output anomaly does 16fl and 22fl sound reasonable for SDR. I believe it does but not an expert by any means. Guess I'm curious as to what others have for post calibration outputs on the NX5.
Fully light controlled room as well.

·
Registered
28,796 Posts
I hear what your saying and it does seem counter intuitive to get less light with a more open iris. I am new to getting calibrations done so don't understand how all the changes besides the iris setting may affect total light output?
I also am assuming he took the base measurement with my -7 iris setting that I was running when he got there. I guess he may have zeroed out the iris setting before taking that measurement? Not sure what the protocol is for the "base reading". I will see if his reports verify the base iris setting at the time of the measurement. Also going to watch an SDR movie tonight and see how it looks.

Other than the lower light output anomaly does 16fl and 22fl sound reasonable for SDR. I believe it does but not an expert by any means. Guess I'm curious as to what others have for post calibration outputs on the NX5.
Fully light controlled room as well.
What size is your screen? What aspect ratio? What fabric in your screen? What is your throw distance?

·
Vendor
26,659 Posts
Chad B is a very friendly guy email him your questions and I am sure he will explain everything you are asking, maybe even offer tips to get you where you would like to be by making this or that adjustment......

23701 - 23720 of 29485 Posts