AVS Forum banner

24841 - 24860 of 29257 Posts

·
Registered
28,747 Posts
Agree.... 8K E-Shift does add a "little" , more "Enhancment" to the image..BUT it does add noticable noise artifacts to the image...

The NX9 looks much much better with 8K E-Shift OFF when inputing native 4K material...

IMO they should of left out the 8K Gimmick from the NX9 and left the light path as per the Z1/RS4500..
The RS3000/NX9 is not big enough to use the light path of the RS4500. Projector would need to be pretty long, like the 4500.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
What would be a significant upgrade to the 4500? Seems like the pinnacle of performance anywhere near its price point.

DTM? No?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
539 Posts
Next iteration of the 4500 should fit a RB laser, green is still far off... Plus the upgraded D-ILA chipset and DTM it would be a proper upgrade. A new blue phosphor laser would make little sense in my opinion, although DTM and a bit improved contrast would be nice it’s not a proper ‘next gen’ in my opinion at least...

Reactions: tommarra

·
Vendor
26,611 Posts
Wondering if anyone did a Blind Test to compare 8k-eshift to 4K with a group of people. I just read there was a test true 8k vs 4K and many people in a blind test got it wrong. I am posting the link. If this is not allowed please let me know and I will remove immediately.

https://www.avforums.com/news/8k-detail-unnoticed-by-most-tv-viewers-says-study.17321
Their is no question some people will not be able to see 8K. Their are some people today who can not see or do not care about 1080P VS 4K either... AKA 540U owners ;) That machine is no joke, one of the best projector's ever made for the price and 1080P.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Okay with Coronavirus ... I don’t think I will be getting my NX7 calibrated anytime soon.

But can someone help me with expected nits off my for two scenarios in Low Lamp without the filter on.:

1. 126 inch 16:9 ST130 inch

2. 120 inch Scope ST130 (with zoom turned on)

I want to configure two profiles in MadVR depending on the source type.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

P.S. I have a cheap light meters from Amazon but don’t know how to use it to measure off the PJ. Any pointers will be great as well

·
Registered
212 Posts
Low Latency Mode questions on NX7

Had three questions on low latency mode on the NX7 that I can't seem to find information on.
1. Does having low latency mode on affect the picture quality in any way? Or to put it another way, in a mixed movie/tv and gaming theater, is there any reason to ever turn low latency mode off (if one wanted the best picture for movie)?
2. Is anyone aware of any discrete low latency mode on/off IR codes? I have found the IR sheet which lists a single toggle mode. But, *if* indeed having low latency mode on affects picture quality, I'd love to find a way to turn this on or off depending on the input device being selected.
3. My research seems to show low latency mode (or really input lag) being measured at 38-40 ms. Does this sound correct to folks?

Thank you!

·
Registered
28,747 Posts
Next iteration of the 4500 should fit a RB laser, green is still far off... Plus the upgraded D-ILA chipset and DTM it would be a proper upgrade. A new blue phosphor laser would make little sense in my opinion, although DTM and a bit improved contrast would be nice it’s not a proper ‘next gen’ in my opinion at least...

Heck blue phosphor with 4,000 lumens, improved, higher contrast panels from the 3000, improved DTM, DCI P3 filter with only slight lumen loss and DCR anamorphic functions added would be a nice improvement.

·
Registered
8,828 Posts
I have a cheap light meters from Amazon but don’t know how to use it to measure off the PJ. Any pointers will be great as well
Display a full-screen white pattern and zoom the projector to fill the screen. Measure the lux with the meter placed as close to the centre of the screen as you can, facing the projector lens.

Then use the following calculator created by a forum member:
https://webprojectorcalculator.com/

Click on the Convert tab, enter the dimensions etc, and calculate the nits.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Higher native panel contrast (it is a third of the NX series), wide color filter that doesn't rob 40% of the light output (the NX series is nearly a third of this), faster HDMI synching, a dynamic dimming mode that wasn't as aggressive near black as Mode 2 but was more aggressive than Mode 1, a dual aperture system for increases in native contrast.

Just off the top of my head

You would think JVC would add another intermediate dynamic dimming mode with a firmware update.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Had three questions on low latency mode on the NX7 that I can't seem to find information on.
1. Does having low latency mode on affect the picture quality in any way? Or to put it another way, in a mixed movie/tv and gaming theater, is there any reason to ever turn low latency mode off (if one wanted the best picture for movie)?
2. Is anyone aware of any discrete low latency mode on/off IR codes? I have found the IR sheet which lists a single toggle mode. But, *if* indeed having low latency mode on affects picture quality, I'd love to find a way to turn this on or off depending on the input device being selected.
3. My research seems to show low latency mode (or really input lag) being measured at 38-40 ms. Does this sound correct to folks?

Thank you!

I think Arrows review of the NX series showed low latency mode did nothing if I remember correctly ? Same measured latency on or off. Which is strange.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Display a full-screen white pattern and zoom the projector to fill the screen. Measure the lux with the meter placed as close to the centre of the screen as you can, facing the projector lens.

Then use the following calculator created by a forum member:

https://webprojectorcalculator.com/

Click on the Convert tab, enter the dimensions etc, and calculate the nits.

Is there a “cheap amazon” meter that can read lux off the screen somewhat accurately ?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I think Arrows review of the NX series showed low latency mode did nothing if I remember correctly ? Same measured latency on or off. Which is strange.

I know, right!? I may be remembering that review. To be honest, that just doesn't sound right. I'd assume JVC would simply enable by default if there was no compromise to be had.

Is there anyone on this forum who could ask JVC direct for what the (presumable) trade-off is when running in low latency mode on this line of projectors?

·
Registered
987 Posts
Mine is an LX1010BS. The readings are pretty close to my i1Display Pro colorimeter.
So to derive total "lumens" coming off your screen from your projector: point the LX1010BS meter at the middle of the screen while it shows a peak white image, then multiply the "lux" value on the meter by the total screen area (in m2)? Is this correct?

·
Registered
60 Posts
What would be a significant upgrade to the 4500? Seems like the pinnacle of performance anywhere near its price point.
Honestly, I'm not sure what it would take for me to upgrade my RS4500. Perhaps something with about 4x the contrast might do it. I bet I nearly doubled the contrast by moving to a 1.3 gain screen and cranking down the iris, though.
If you move to a 1.3 gain screen and crank down the iris by say... another 30%, you are in the same situation as before, for both Max luminance and black floor. So no real gain in contrast. Am I right?
The only point to go for a high gain screen is to accommodate HDR needs sacrificing some black floor but gaining visual perception, specially if having a mask system.
Can any of the experts confirm my thoughts?

Thanks and be safe.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,378 Posts
I think adding DTM and DCR anamorphic functions would be of more value.
Nah. Anyone can get better DTM by a device that's far cheaper than an RS4500-2 upgrade would cost. That feature isn't going to drive an upgrade.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,378 Posts
If you move to a 1.3 gain screen and crank down the iris by say... another 30%, you are in the same situation as before, for both Max luminance and black floor. So no real gain in contrast. Am I right?
The only point to go for a high gain screen is to accommodate HDR needs sacrificing some black floor but gaining visual perception, specially if having a mask system.
Can any of the experts confirm my thoughts?

Thanks and be safe.
On the RS4500, lowering the iris increases the contrast (I think due to eliminating some internal reflections). Same with the NX line. So if you increase the gain of the screen and crank down the iris, you get the same light output as before (at the center of the screen) with much greater contrast.

·
Registered
8,828 Posts
So to derive total "lumens" coming off your screen from your projector: point the LX1010BS meter at the middle of the screen while it shows a peak white image, then multiply the "lux" value on the meter by the total screen area (in m2)? Is this correct?
The calculator includes the lumens calculation.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi

Some one who can help me explain a littel about this below here aspect:zoom. Found the writing below on the Paladin DCR forum.

Turn it on last night and on 2.39 movies even better than before and also on 16:9 (17:9) it looked better. Or is it just me who is seeing something that are not real?

Here's the basis for the calculations:

1. Movie Theater Resolution for 2.4:1 movies:

4096 x 1707 = 6,999,507 pixels

2. JVC Projector without DCR for 2.4:1 movies:

3840 x 1600 = 6,144,000 pixels

3. JVC Projector with DCR for 2.4:1 movies:

4096 x 2133 = 8,736,768 pixels

Then the answer from forum user @blake wrote this
Regarding #2 - if you turn on “aspect:zoom” on the new JVCs which have a 17:9 native image panels, that actually gives you a full 4096 horizontal pixels for scope content.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
On the RS4500, lowering the iris increases the contrast (I think due to eliminating some internal reflections). Same with the NX line. So if you increase the gain of the screen and crank down the iris, you get the same light output as before (at the center of the screen) with much greater contrast.
Are you increasing the black floor as a result of a higher gain screen?

24841 - 24860 of 29257 Posts