AVS Forum banner

25421 - 25440 of 29257 Posts

·
Registered
26,487 Posts
For some reason Terminator Dark Fate, when I press the JVC info button, is showing SDR...I swapped to other discs and all show hdr...

On my Panny 820, when I press the playback info button, it shows HDR and 1000 nit with avg Light level 446 nits...

Given the JVC info button showing SDR, do we think it’s actually sdr OR hdr, given everything else is showing that the output is hdr...thanks folks...
Are you sure you put in the 4k disc and not the Blu-ray from the same case? That's a common mistake a lot of people make.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Are you sure you put in the 4k disc and not the Blu-ray from the same case? That's a common mistake a lot of people make.
Thanks Josh, yup, double checked, it’s the 4K version...also interesting is when the Paramount logo first comes up and I press the JVC info button, it shows hdr, but as soon as movie starts the JVC info button shows sdr...

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Hi folks

For some reason Terminator Dark Fate, when I press the JVC info button, is showing SDR...I swapped to other discs and all show hdr...

On my Panny 820, when I press the playback info button, it shows HDR and 1000 nit with avg Light level 446 nits...

Given the JVC info button showing SDR, do we think it’s actually sdr OR hdr, given everything else is showing that the output is hdr...thanks folks...
Problem solved, COMPLETE system reboot...I had tried this already but this time I shut everything down for 10 minutes not just 1 minute...

Wow, that was a waste of an hour! Juuuuuust trying to watch a flick, that’s all...WOW! Still the odd glitch with this “stuff”! :mad:

·
Registered
28,747 Posts
There are inputs that can send JVC projectors into a mode that requires rebooting (i.e., disconnecting the input will not fix the issue), but I really can’t imagine what waiting for 10 minutes will do.

Even Jim in your quote says “Just pull wall power from the projector/TV or audio processor and plug back in.“
I do not know how long it takes to clear an HDMI lockup. I doubt there is a set time. It probably varies. 10 minutes would just make sure that you have waited long enough.

Added
Just like in the post above this one, where Asharma said he unplugged his system for one minute to reboot it and that was not long enough. He then unplugged for 10 minutes and it did the trick. I am sure he could have unplugged for less time than 10 minutes, but we do not have any way of knowing how long it actually requires, but we know for sure that it would be less than 10 minutes.

·
Registered
18,117 Posts
I'm not a zealot that says you should or should not use CMD (so please don't take this the wrong way). But isn't that just normal behavior of 24 FPS film?
Yes. I think my brain has gotten used to 24p film judder. Doesn't bother me one bit. I can't get used to everything looking like " All My Children ". But to each his own.

·
Registered
18,117 Posts
I've done that once or twice. Sitting there thinking " this 4K disc looks no better than a Blu-ray ". :eek: DOH !

·
aka jfinnie
4,219 Posts
I on occasion do see an HDMI lockup in my system on my X7900 - it appears to be clearly in the projector as nothing short of power cycling that fixes it. The HDMI input knows what the format on the input is but there is no image and nothing will bring it back.

Power cycle via remote on the PJ works. While I'm sure I could power cycle it as fast as I'd like and the lockup would be cleared, clearly for lamp life you should probably avoid that rapid cycling of the lamp. I usually end up waiting 15 mins to half an hour before striking up again if I can.

·
Registered
41 Posts
not normal...

whats the source ? and when say "premium hdmi2.0b" is that a premium certified cable ? as there is no such thing as a "premium hdmi 2.0b cable" cables dont have a hdmi version number that is for hdmi chipsets :)
Source is Apple TV 4K. And Audio is a Samsung HW-N950. Cables are just "high speed with ethernet" and the 30' run to the projector is a MonoPrice Active cable.

·
Vendor
26,611 Posts
Problem solved, COMPLETE system reboot...I had tried this already but this time I shut everything down for 10 minutes not just 1 minute...

Wow, that was a waste of an hour! Juuuuuust trying to watch a flick, that’s all...WOW! Still the odd glitch with this “stuff”! :mad:
It is amazing how all these new gadgets we have need a reboot from time to time. Phones, Firesticks, Receivers, you name it :(

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well Looks like my issue is possible resolved with the video Lag/Glitching.... I tried plugging source direct into Projector, found out its buttery smooth, then returned to last config and its all smooth now... Could simply unplugging the HDMI and plugging it back in fix that?

I will finish the movie tonight and see if anymore issues come up.

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
It is amazing how all these new gadgets we have need a reboot from time to time. Phones, Firesticks, Receivers, you name it :(
Well they are all controlled by computers and computers are run by software. Back in the mid '70s I was at the IBM Poughkeepsie lab and in one of the managers offices there was a sign hanging up that read something like this:

"There is no such thing as a computer program without bugs, just those that the bugs haven't been discovered in them yet."

I thought at the time...how true. And nothing has changed in the 46 years since. It's just that we have lots more computers and the bugs to go with them. :)

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
Source is Apple TV 4K. And Audio is a Samsung HW-N950. Cables are just "high speed with ethernet" and the 30' run to the projector is a MonoPrice Active cable.
just be aware a 30ft cable is not short and likely pose issue if cable not upto it. if an active cable what is that exactly ? I know active cables that cant pass 4k 50/60 top out at 4k 24p. apple has a cable test easy enough to try it... will tell you soon how much struggling.

personally...given the small cost involved I would swap to mono price premium certified cable for the 30ft run, these certified to work and will work and remove one possibility and variable for peace of mind
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=32991

i know folk who have replaced all their cables and some can be a bit titchy on some equipment combinations and some source material where pushing limits. and especially given very mall cost involved why not.....

if your cable is not upto snuff...you are likely to continue to have intermittent issues... handshakes, drop out, sparkes what not...

·
Registered
41 Posts
just be aware a 30ft cable is not short and likely pose issue if cable not upto it. if an active cable what is that exactly ? I know active cables that cant pass 4k 50/60 top out at 4k 24p. apple has a cable test easy enough to try it... will tell you soon how much struggling.

personally...given the small cost involved I would swap to mono price premium certified cable for the 30ft run, these certified to work and will work and remove one possibility and variable for peace of mind
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=32991

i know folk who have replaced all their cables and some can be a bit titchy on some equipment combinations and some source material where pushing limits. and especially given very mall cost involved why not.....

if your cable is not upto snuff...you are likely to continue to have intermittent issues... handshakes, drop out, sparkes what not...

The cable you listed is pretty much the cable I got with the exception of mine being an Active cable, not passive. To answer your question, Active HDMI cables contain a chipset inside the cable ends that "from what I have read" allow support for longer runs, such as 30' and still maintain quality.

Here is what I got: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13757

when I mentioned "shorter runs" I meant the 4' cable from Apple TV to the Sound system.

·
Registered
73 Posts
hey guys have you seen this?

meanwhile i'm still waiting on a RUIPRO HDMI cable and the CHIEF SLMU Bracket.

Did you also have the problem described above with the iris on auto?

Does someone also have a Panasonic UB90000 what settings are you usign with it? I should just turn off the HDR optimizer?

Any tips on general settings besides the ones in the first page of this post? Like iris modes what HDR settings you recommend?

·
Registered
28,747 Posts
Well they are all controlled by computers and computers are run by software. Back in the mid '70s I was at the IBM Poughkeepsie lab and in one of the managers offices there was a sign hanging up that read something like this:

"There is no such thing as a computer program without bugs, just those that the bugs haven't been discovered in them yet."

I thought at the time...how true. And nothing has changed in the 46 years since. It's just that we have lots more computers and the bugs to go with them. :)
Computers are a wonderful thing. Computers allow you to make mistakes faster and more efficiently. :)

25421 - 25440 of 29257 Posts