AVS Forum banner

25741 - 25760 of 29521 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Now you're getting me really curious, I am going to run my monitor's calib straight away !! (it's been a while too anyway and it is warm enough to do it).

EDIT: before starting the calib, I plugged in the es-2000 and checked the drivers :
Driver X-Rite, dated 21/04/2009, version 2.40.0.1315
ArgyllCMS, dated 17/01/2012, version 1.2.6.0

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Now you're getting me really curious, I am going to run my monitor's calib straight away !! (it's been a while too anyway and it is warm enough to do it).

EDIT: before starting the calib, I plugged in the es-2000 and checked the drivers :
Driver X-Rite, dated 21/04/2009, version 2.40.0.1315
ArgyllCMS, dated 17/01/2012, version 1.2.6.0

DisplayCAL should be checking for updates to ArgyIICMS each launch and you should be on 2.1.2 from Jan 14 2020.

https://www.argyllcms.com

·
Registered
488 Posts
DisplayCAL should be checking for updates to ArgyIICMS each launch and you should be on 2.1.2 from Jan 14 2020.

https://www.argyllcms.com
The dates I gave are the dates of the drivers and I use displaycal to switch the drivers so that it downloads the latest one.
My DisplayCal is 3.8.9.3 and ArgyllCMS is 2.1.1 but displaycall did not mention that there is a newer argyll level.

Now let's do the calibration ...

·
aka jfinnie
4,235 Posts
That’s a very poor way of compensating for gamma droop.
I think it has been discussed before in the notes for other reviews that they've done, but JVC (UK I guess) apparently don't like them even talking about the use of autocal on the units much, and they don't run autocal on them to set them up optimally.

I'm not entirely sure of the logic, but I guess it is their review. I'm already persona non grata in that thread for questioning the technique used which resulted in a reported 460 nits, so I'm not going to dig into that one...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Would this be the unit?

https://www.ebay.com/p/27031284842

Also, I just completed the gamma calibration with my Spyder X...if I want to get color say 90 percent accurate, is it simply a matter of using the ES-2000 and clicking the color calibration button in the Autocal settings and then letting the Es-2000 do its thing?

Edit: I have been reading Manni’s thread also...just looking to verify...
I used one just like the one you linked to. I trited to use it with a old usb expension cable (that didn't work) so I trashed aroud a bit with the software. In general I did install a 2006 version of the One-Eye Drivers on my Windoes 10 machine. After the driver was installed it worked just fine with V12 Autocal on my NX5. Autocal sees it as an Xrite ipro2 device.

When you get to the Meter selection you just press the single button on the EF-2000 while it on the "calibratition" plate (there is one in the kit) right after the click the "ipro 2" icon in autocall. It is quite simple once you see how it works.
After this you just position the meter and press go just like the Gamma.

Have Fun!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Many are having luck with those cables as well from what I have seen.....

I can second no issues with my Ruipro.

I have personally bought AudioQuest cables during my testing to see what cables work and dont work. I received the same performance with a generic "high speed HDMI w/ethernet" as I did with a 4' Cinnamon cable. Its the longer runs that would greatly benefit from the 0.5% sliver they use, but they also charge you 4x more than other vendors with great quality cables. Bestbuy is charging over $300 for a 10m Forest cable....and I am sure i can spend $100 for a Fiber HDMI and get same/better performance. The Fiber cables are "lossless" where as with Copper/Silver, it will attenuate much faster.

So like you said, many will have luck with those because they are great cables, especially the ones with silver in them, but i would greatly consider the price/performance with other trusted vendors, IMO they are way over priced.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
What other 18gbit HDMI projectors did you own? If I remember correctly, your previous projector was a Sony 385es? That was a 13.5gb HDMi capable projector so if your cable is not up to snuff, it would have appeared to work fine on the old projector and not on the new one. I still doubt the fault lies in the projector if you can correct the problem without power cycling.

What about your cables between source and AVR? Even though your cable sounds like it's going to be great, there's still no guarantee. Could be anything in it including something weird about the cable connectors on one side.
No, I had 3 other RS3000 projectors before this one. All previous projectors worked fine with these cables. I have been using 8k fiber optic cables that support 64 Gbps bandwidth from Monoprice. No issues with any other displays hooked up using the same connections or any other RS3000s. Just this one. I have tried both HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 inputs but both are flakey.

All my failures happen when either coming out of AppleTV apps that are only running at SDR 50 hz or SDR 24p and then going back to SDR 60 hz or when switching from HDR 24p to SDR 1080i on my satellite receiver. It most often happens watching a British standard show like 50 hz and going to a US 60 hz. So it isn't a bandwidth issue at all because I am not even talking about failures on just HDR 60hz material. The JVC has more issues with frame rate changes when syncing than resolution changes.

It is definitely a software issue. JVC sped up the handshake times on these new projectors but only now you get more failures when connecting. It doesn't happen to all the new projectors, but I think that the HDMI board used by JVC must be near the limit of its spec. Some units have slightly worse boards and have connection issues, some have slightly better boards and they don't see any issues. Most people blame the cables but really if they had a different projector with a better HDMI board I bet they would be less likely to have these issues even with average cable performance.

·
Registered
488 Posts
So I finished running the monitor's calib with DisplayCal and the ES-2000 and guess what : what fooled my memory is that I had to place the es-2000 3 times on its white tile plate and click on the OK button of DisplayCal that is using the mouse button not the puck button .....
Now will do an autocal again !

As an aside question as for autocal I use the X-Rite driver dated 2009, should I use a 2006 version instead ?

·
Registered
28,807 Posts
I think it has been discussed before in the notes for other reviews that they've done, but JVC (UK I guess) apparently don't like them even talking about the use of autocal on the units much, and they don't run autocal on them to set them up optimally.

I'm not entirely sure of the logic, but I guess it is their review. I'm already persona non grata in that thread for questioning the technique used which resulted in a reported 460 nits, so I'm not going to dig into that one...
Now why would you question 460 nits? :rolleyes:
They must have been using an 80" screen that had 2.0 gain. :)

·
Registered
28,807 Posts
I have personally bought AudioQuest cables during my testing to see what cables work and dont work. I received the same performance with a generic "high speed HDMI w/ethernet" as I did with a 4' Cinnamon cable. Its the longer runs that would greatly benefit from the 0.5% sliver they use, but they also charge you 4x more than other vendors with great quality cables. Bestbuy is charging over $300 for a 10m Forest cable....and I am sure i can spend $100 for a Fiber HDMI and get same/better performance. The Fiber cables are "lossless" where as with Copper/Silver, it will attenuate much faster.

So like you said, many will have luck with those because they are great cables, especially the ones with silver in them, but i would greatly consider the price/performance with other trusted vendors, IMO they are way over priced.
This one was recommended in the Lumagen thread.
http://www.secret-lab.xyz/2019/10/08/cinemike-fibre-hdmi-cable/
Be sure you are sitting down when you see the price. :)

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
Now why would you question 460 nits? :rolleyes:
They must have been using an 80" screen that had 2.0 gain. :)
And using a 130” 0.7 gain when they tested the NX9 and reported
This increases to 267 nits with no zoom and decreases to 76 nits on maximum zoom

·
Registered
41 Posts
This one was recommended in the Lumagen thread.
http://www.secret-lab.xyz/2019/10/08/cinemike-fibre-hdmi-cable/
Be sure you are sitting down when you see the price. :)

Interesting read. The price is crazy for sure. but most of the features they talked about are on the other Fiber cables of today. I am all for spending big money, I mean why are we all in this thread? lol. The newer updated Fiber cables use less power which means no external power source, which is a benefit.

I am no HDMI genius, I am learning a TON as time goes on. I was looking at https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=301&cp_id=30101&cs_id=3010101&p_id=38638&seq=1&format=2 and I think this would be a great price for a Fiber cable. Even the ones @Cleveland Plasma suggested on Amazon are good and better priced, but i am kind of bias towards Monoprice due to their history.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I used one just like the one you linked to. I trited to use it with a old usb expension cable (that didn't work) so I trashed aroud a bit with the software. In general I did install a 2006 version of the One-Eye Drivers on my Windoes 10 machine. After the driver was installed it worked just fine with V12 Autocal on my NX5. Autocal sees it as an Xrite ipro2 device.

When you get to the Meter selection you just press the single button on the EF-2000 while it on the "calibratition" plate (there is one in the kit) right after the click the "ipro 2" icon in autocall. It is quite simple once you see how it works.
After this you just position the meter and press go just like the Gamma.

Have Fun!
Thanks, Does the EF-2000 and Autocal get the color to 95 percent calibrated or is it necessary to still have to learn Calman etc?

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Thanks, found another new one on EBay, sorry to ask, is this exactly what you have? Price seems better...is your model number EO2-XR-ULZW?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Factory-Sealed-X-Rite-ES-2000-Spectrophotometer-EO2-XR-ULZW/362852873585?hash=item547bb77571:g:qesAAOSwsbhd9-HD
Great price. XR means X-Rite units EFI means EFI units. Same X-Rite spectrometer. XR units have serials starting with 1, EFI starts with a 7. My guess is this eBay unit has no software but if using third party software such as JVC Autocal it shouldn't be needed. Manni is the one that would likely know.

Reactions: asharma

·
Registered
28,807 Posts
Interesting read. The price is crazy for sure. but most of the features they talked about are on the other Fiber cables of today. I am all for spending big money, I mean why are we all in this thread? lol. The newer updated Fiber cables use less power which means no external power source, which is a benefit.

I am no HDMI genius, I am learning a TON as time goes on. I was looking at https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=301&cp_id=30101&cs_id=3010101&p_id=38638&seq=1&format=2 and I think this would be a great price for a Fiber cable. Even the ones @Cleveland Plasma suggested on Amazon are good and better priced, but i am kind of bias towards Monoprice due to their history.
I have both the Ruipro and the Monoprice. The Ruipro is a little thicker and heavier built. The Monoprice is pretty fragile. Neither are as sturdy as an all copper HDMI cable. You definitely do not want to put a sharp bend or kink in an optical cable.

·
Registered
28,807 Posts
That's a crazy amount of lumens for 460 nits on a projector
Especially on a 130" 0.7 gain screen. They were using an RS3000/NX9 and their numbers are BS. If my RS3000 could do that on a 130" 0.7 gain screen, I would never turn my TV on again, because my TV would look so dim. :)

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Great price. XR means X-Rite units EFI means EFI units. Same X-Rite spectrometer. XR units have serials starting with 1, EFI starts with a 7. My guess is this eBay unit has no software but if using third party software such as JVC Autocal it shouldn't be needed. Manni is the one that would likely know.
Thanks, I also think it is a refurbed unit, thus the price...

25741 - 25760 of 29521 Posts