AVS Forum banner

25781 - 25800 of 29221 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just wanted to say, I watched Gemini man tonight. And it was awesome. The aspect ratio seems different than usual films? the letter boxes are much much smaller. Ill get me an ALR screen in the future to prevent all that extra light reflections.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just curious what you or others may have measured as brightness differences using the filter vs no filter?
One other question I had is the difference between color saturation and color volume. If both projectors have the same lamps when you insert a color filter in the path the saturation may increase but it seems the color volume would then have to decrease as the brightness has decreased due to the filter. Does that sound right or am I climbing the wrong tree/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif.
Filter on, full panel zoom, 130" scope screen 1.0 gain (no lens) = 30.x ftL
Filter off, full panel zoom, 130" scope screen 1.0 gain (no lens) = 34.x ftL

I don't remember the decimals but it ended up being 3.3/3.4 ish drop. So right at 10%. No way it's cutting half the light.
Hi,
In order to have all the information that is taking part, What is your throw distance and age of the bulb?
Thanks

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
So I finished running the monitor's calib with DisplayCal and the ES-2000 and guess what : what fooled my memory is that I had to place the es-2000 3 times on its white tile plate and click on the OK button of DisplayCal that is using the mouse button not the puck button .....
Now will do an autocal again !

As an aside question as for autocal I use the X-Rite driver dated 2009, should I use a 2006 version instead ?
Are you using the ES-2000 or EFI ES 2000 version 2. I see I Ebay that the ES-2000 is about half the price. Wondering if the EFI 1Pro 2 is worth the difference in price.

Has anyone tried each one?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Are you using the ES-2000 or EFI ES 2000 version 2. I see I Ebay that the ES-2000 is about half the price. Wondering if the EFI 1Pro 2 is worth the difference in price.

I think its some HW, all come from X Rite, its not worth invest more if you will get right ES-2000.... but be sure thats you will get not broken devices.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts

Your in the same boat as me...totally confused on what to buy...”Contains everything in the picture” doesn’t give me much confidence when I don't know what the picture should contain in the first place...

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Finally measured this tonight after a watching session.

With 315 hours on my bulb, all iris groups calibrated with autocal and Spyder5 / i1 Pro 2.

Measured with this meter up against the center of the screen:

https://aemc.com/products/environmental-testers/lightmeter-CA813

<snip>

I would say that these are also about 5% low from a new bulb as I used to get ~29.8fc out of the box on iris 0 which is 5% more than now at 315 hours. 5% more would put the -15 iris right at 1001 lumens by my measurement when my bulb was new.
That's great data. Thanks for posting it. I was asking about it a while ago. Looks like it even gets down just low enough for my 133" HP screen. At least at a longer throw.

The only downside relative to the NX7/RS540/NX9/etc... is that you will have less on/off contrast. Not sure how much less? Just for reference, I run my RS540 at -10 to get about the same number of lumens.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hi asharma, if you want use JVC Autocal software than its worth to invest. For color its more accurated than Spyder devices. You can buy EFI or NEC, its rebranded X Rite.

·
Registered
8,818 Posts
Your in the same boat as me...totally confused on what to buy...”Contains everything in the picture” doesn’t give me much confidence when I don't know what the picture should contain in the first place...
To calibrate projectors the only items you need are the spectro itself, the matching calibration plate, and the USB cable. The other items are for calibrating flat panels, prints, ambient light etc

EDIT: There’s also a tripod holder but it doesn’t work that great compared with cell phone holders.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
To calibrate projectors the only items you need are the spectro itself, the matching calibration plate, and the USB cable. The other items are for calibrating flat panels, prints, ambient light etc

EDIT: There’s also a tripod holder but it doesn’t work that great compared with cell phone holders.
Thanks, If I read your post correctly the 1Pro should work fine for projectors.

·
Registered
8,818 Posts
Thanks, If I read your post correctly the 1Pro should work fine for projectors.
Yes, i1Pro also works, as the JVC software uses the i1Pro2 in the “compatibility mode”.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts

·
Registered
26,486 Posts
Just wanted to say, I watched Gemini man tonight. And it was awesome. The aspect ratio seems different than usual films? the letter boxes are much much smaller.
Gemini Man has an aspect ratio of 1.85:1.

·
Registered
387 Posts
This thread is VERY long
Has anybody upgraded from the N5 to the N7, and is it worth it?
I have here at my home right now N5 (from my friend to compare with my N7) and N7. And for the coloer-filter i will prefere always N7, from my point of view it really pays off.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I have here at my home right now N5 (from my friend to compare with my N7) and N7. And for the coloer-filter i will prefere always N7, from my point of view it really pays off.
But have you put them side by side to see if there is a significant visible difference due to the filter? I've been curious about this. Just because a wider gamut is supported doesn't mean there is a visible difference with most material we watch.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
This thread is VERY long
Has anybody upgraded from the N5 to the N7, and is it worth it?
Yes, upgraded to the NX-7, and it was well worth it to me...I even contemplated the NX-9, but it was too costly for my budget, so I purchased the DCR lens, outstanding combo. You may want think about getting a this as a package deal. Hope this helps.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Reactions: riddle

·
Registered
41 Posts
I noticed that the you need to pull gently on the Fiber Optic cables when fishing, I kinda felt a stretch and I know they are not built like stretch on the Fantastic 4 :D
Good thing I dont have to pull it through the wall! I may actually do that in the future, but the path is going against the Joists, not with, so that will be fun. so for now i just have raceway on the ceiling bringing the cable to the back.

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
Good thing I dont have to pull it through the wall! I may actually do that in the future, but the path is going against the Joists, not with, so that will be fun. so for now i just have raceway on the ceiling bringing the cable to the back.
As you noticed fiber optic cables must be used with care of not bending or pulling too much. Ruipro puts that information in their instructions on some of their cables.
One should be especially careful if they have to bend the cable to put it into the HDMI inputs.
In the past HDMI cables worked or they did not. This is not the case with 4k 60 and above. Using a raceway is a great idea. Putting the cables under a molding nest to a wall is another option for some. The most important thing is to do all tests before you install the cables. You also want to be as future proof as possible. A close friend had a fiber optic cable installed that worked with other projectors but would not work with 60fps on the JVC.

·
Registered
387 Posts
But have you put them side by side to see if there is a significant visible difference due to the filter? I've been curious about this. Just because a wider gamut is supported doesn't mean there is a visible difference with most material we watch.

Yes with filter, truest me its visible at least on HDR material.

25781 - 25800 of 29221 Posts