25901 - 25920 of 29221 Posts

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Reactions: Tom Monahan

·
Registered
115 Posts
I’m having an issue with my NX7, slight delay before picture is displayed (few seconds). I’m running a monoprice 4K 18Gbps fiber HDMI. I’ve already tested with a shorter cable on a 4K tv 6’. All issues with delayed video being displayed (no picture) resolved. Also when switching between different video files no loss of picture. The issue I believe is with the distance run I require. To back up a bit. the old HDMI would not display picture only sound. Tried a high speed HDMI same issue. Tried a high speed fiber optic HDMI...beautiful picture. But I get 6-8 second delay in a picture being shown when starting a movie/video. What are you guys running for 40’ or longer runs? Are you having the same issue?

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
I’m having an issue with my NX7, slight delay before picture is displayed (few seconds). I’m running a monoprice 4K 18Gbps fiber HDMI. I’ve already tested with a shorter cable on a 4K tv 6’. All issues with delayed video being displayed (no picture) resolved. Also when switching between different video files no loss of picture. The issue I believe is with the distance run I require. To back up a bit. the old HDMI would not display picture only sound. Tried a high speed HDMI same issue. Tried a high speed fiber optic HDMI...beautiful picture. But I get 6-8 second delay in a picture being shown when starting a movie/video. What are you guys running for 40’ or longer runs? Are you having the same issue?
That is absolutely normal. The greater the distance the greater the delay of video appearing, even with fiber optic.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
It's normal. It has nothing to do with the length of your run. It is just normal HDMI sync times. It takes a few seconds longer for video. Usually when syncing you hear audio first and then video. HDMI cables transmit at the speed of light so 40' is nothing. It all has to do with the software in the HDMI handshake and the delay is because it first has to verify that all connections are valid for frame rate and resolution, and that you are running a legal copy of the content. Copyright protection built into HDMI causes a lot of the connection issues.

·
Registered
115 Posts
That is absolutely normal. The greater the distance the greater the delay of video appearing, even with fiber optic.

Thanks for the quick response! So upgrading to a 48Gbps fiber won’t fix this issue, even if I can get the distance down to 40’? I haven’t tried a 40’ version of the cable I have now.

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
Thanks for the quick response! So upgrading to a 48Gbps fiber won’t fix this issue, even if I can get the distance down to 40’? I haven’t tried a 40’ version of the cable I have now.
I cannot say with 100% certainty that the 48GBPS will not decrease the delay, but I highly doubt it. I have a 30 ft version and still get the same delay as you.

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
It's normal. It has nothing to do with the length of your run. It is just normal HDMI sync times. It takes a few seconds longer for video. Usually when syncing you hear audio first and then video. HDMI cables transmit at the speed of light so 40' is nothing. It all has to do with the software in the HDMI handshake and the delay is because it first has to verify that all connections are valid for frame rate and resolution, and that you are running a legal copy of the content. Copyright protection built into HDMI causes a lot of the connection issues.
Much better response than mine. Thank you kind sir.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
No, won't make any difference. It has nothing to do with length. Length only comes into play when you are talking about providing a good connection at high bandwidth transmissions. But the delay you are talking about is due to HDMI sync. Bandwidth just refers to the signal bandwidth that your cable can provide. So 48 Gbps can transmit a bandwidth of 48 Gigabits of data per second but the data is transmitted at the speed of light from your source to your projector. Most of the delay is due to software running within the HDMI standard to make multiple connections, handled control commands, and provide copyright protection.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks for the info...one more question. I have trailers on a drive. When I play them usually after about the third trailer I lose the picture and have to turn either the preamp a/v or 4K player off and on. same deal?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Current setup...will mount soon.

Attachments

Reactions: skylarlove1999

·
Registered
115 Posts
Nx7

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
old setup...Sony VPL-VW365ES. upgraded surrounds to Paradigm Studio 100's v.4 Hopefully a Stewart screen next year.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
old setup...Sony VPL-VW365ES. upgraded surrounds to Paradigm Studio 100's v.4 Hopefully a Stewart screen next year.
Huge difference to be seen when viewing a Stewart screen...they are in a different league...

Reactions: PULSAR3002

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,376 Posts
I suggest that you install both an ethernet cable and usb extension cable.

The ethernet cable in case you might want to use auto calibration in the future.

The usb extension for firmware updates.
Isnt the USB port plenty easy to reach on the projector? I'm not sure what the USB extension gives you. It's not like you hook the projector up to a computer. A long USB cable is just one more point of potential failure on a USB update.

In the NX7 and NX9, one is a fixed iris that you use to adjust the overall brightness of the image. The second is the dynamic iris that will further adjust brightness based on the content (closing down for bright scenes, opening up for bright scenes).

The NX5 only has one iris which you have to decide whether to use as fixed or dynamic.
This isn't quite right. The NX7 and NX9 do have 2 iris - one for lamp, one for lens. But other than that, the NX5 and NX7/9 iris systems work the same. Both have a lens iris that is used during dynamic iris operation. If you set your iris to manual, then set the value to -8 or some number, then set it back to auto, it will use the -8 value as the max brightness you can get. But the dynamic iris will still operate for when it needs to be lower than the -8 value. The NX5/7/9 all work the same in this regard. The difference is that on the NX7/9, every other step of the manual iris moves the lamp iris. So it just uses two iris to achieve the same thing. Because of this, it probably does a better job increasing contrast at same light levels and I think it probably gets a bit darker if it needs to.

Honestly, I'm not convinced that changing to the 48gb fiber cable won't fix this issue. I think you've proven that a shorter cable links faster. The length of a fiber cable shoudln't impact the behavior of link speed. It could be that just being a fiber cable is where you are having link speed changes. The fiber cables have to translate copper to fiber in the connectors so I think there are some powered electronics in there that run off HDMI power. That may be where the additional delay comes from. But it's certainly not from the fiber length, itself. Signals run down fiber at the speed of light. A 6 foot fiber cable and 100 foot fiber cable would essentially transmit the data across it at the same speed.

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
Isnt the USB port plenty easy to reach on the projector? I'm not sure what the USB extension gives you. It's not like you hook the projector up to a computer. A long USB cable is just one more point of potential failure on a USB update

I never suggested a long USB extension. The answer really depends on how you have the projector mounted. If you have it on a shelf in the back of the room or even on a mount that may be difficult to reach iI would recommend a 6 foot extension USB cable so you don't have to move the projector or climb up to reach the USB port. If it is easy for you to reach the back of your projector than you don't need a USB extension or to even put in a Ethernet cable until you need it.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Isnt the USB port plenty easy to reach on the projector? I'm not sure what the USB extension gives you. It's not like you hook the projector up to a computer. A long USB cable is just one more point of potential failure on a USB update

I never suggested a long USB extension. The answer really depends on how you have the projector mounted. If you have it on a shelf in the back of the room or even on a mount that may be difficult to reach iI would recommend a 6 foot extension USB cable so you don't have to move the projector or climb up to reach the USB port. If it is easy for you to reach the back of your projector than you don't need a USB extension or to even put in a Ethernet cable until you need it.
I inserted an extension cable into the USB socket of my projector at the time of installation. The projector sits on a shelf that is rather high and is only about 7 inches away from the wall with lots of equipment in cabinets below it. Trying to plug a thumb drive into it would be quite a pain. The extension cable has served me well indeed. I have updated the projector's firmware several times since I installed it w/o any issue. Of course, YMMV.

Reactions: Dave Vaughn

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
I inserted an extension cable into the USB socket of my projector at the time of installation. The projector sits on a shelf that is rather high and is only about 7 inches away from the wall with lots of equipment in cabinets below it. Trying to plug a thumb drive into it would be quite a pain. The extension cable has served me well indeed. I have updated the projector's firmware several times since I installed it w/o any issue. Of course, YMMV.
The first part of the quote is not mine. I suggested using the USB extension cable. Glad that it worked for you. I think most others are in the same situation.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
The first part of the quote is not mine. I suggested using the USB extension cable. Glad that it worked for you. I think most others are in the same situation.
Ha, your post that I quoted didn't mark the first part as a quote from someone else so my quote didn't know any better. :)

25901 - 25920 of 29221 Posts