AVS Forum banner

27381 - 27400 of 29483 Posts

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I'm sure this has probably already been asked, and I missed it, but are there commands (for iRule in my case) for switching the Auto frame rate level from Auto to high, and vice versa?

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
Just drop some cash on a Nx7. I come hear to read about my new toy and all I see is aspect ratio/screen talk! CAN WE PLEASE MOVE THAT TO THE APPROPRIATE THREAD. So I have an Nx7 question, what’s the largest screen I can go to still have great hdr? The room will be a black pit, I already own a Lumagen 4444 and Paladin Dcr! Thanks in advance.
Congratulations on the new projector. With the Lumagen and the A-lens I would say you are only limited by your room in terms of screen size. Unless you are talking over 180 inches diagonally. I know there are some owners here with a Lumagen and DCR lens who will chime in.

Obviously room conditions, screen material, throw distance and aspect ratio will play a role, but I cannot imagine how big you have to go to reduce the benefits of the JVC DTM and DCR lens combination even without the Lumagen .

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
190 Posts
Will the NX7 be much of an upgrade over my RS620 (X9500)?

I see the contrast measurements don't come close. Wondering if I should keep it a bit longer.

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Thread rolled back to the most recent on-topic post to remove off-topic discussions and bickering. Probably didn't get them all.. might have lost some that were legit. Apologies for both.

Let's take pan-and-scan and aspect ratio discussion of movie titles to the appropriate threads.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Folks -

As a proponent of Maximum Image Size - i.e. fully lens-zoomed 16:9 and fully lens-and digitally-zoomed (Aspect:Zoom) 1.85 and wider, I've concluded that we'll never convince the CIH club that we have good setups, or to even give a fair viewing to variable aspect ratio films that go back and forth between scope and IMAX framing.
If you enjoy your setup, then it's a good setup.

My mother used to say about some people that their attitude was "My mind's made up, don't confuse me with facts."
Good advice. You could benefit from it.

Whether it's because they have a low ceiling and are forced to use a scope screen by that, or have invested so much money in an anamorphic lens and scope screen that what we're trying to get them to admit is such "an inconvenient truth" that they're going to insist that even a VAR setup that produces a larger scope image than what they have "compromises" scope by allowing things to be taller than their beloved scope. That's why SirMaster's thought experiment of scope-masking a 16:9 screen is so offensive to them. What! There's a tall screen hidden behind that mask! Blasphemy!
I really don't see anyone acting offended. On the contrary, you seem to be the only one making "religious" jabs at the people posting a different opinion. No people aren't using a scope screen purely because of a room limitation or because they want to use a lens. That's ridiculous. Most all of the owners I've met do it because they primarily use their setups for film and a scope screen is optimal for everything except that 1% of IMAX content.

Basing your vertical FOV around a narrow AR like 16:9 means that wider material is shrunk in both dimensions to fit. Again the opposite of the filmmakers intent.

Also, to address an earlier post about your 11'4" room "limitation". You seem to be tunnel visioning on "I have this much space and must fill it". No you don't. I have 10' wide scope screen. But I've engineered how far I sit from it to give me the desired immersion. I'm not saying you need to change anything or do anything differently, just pointing out that you certainly can and an 11' width is in no way a restriction.

I'm surprised that the folks who like 2.6:1 (the original Cinerama) don't say that the 2.35:1 folks are watering it down, and they both don't call Stanley Kubrick's 2.2:1 films like 2001 A Space Odyssey and 2.0:1 films not really scope.
2.20:1 and 2.00:1 films look great on a scope screen and have much more impact than a comparable 16:9 screen. Not sure what your point is. Yes the even wider AR films like Hateful Eight do have some letterboxing on a scope screen, but will still be better presented. If ARs like this had more prevalence you'd probably see screens being sold to view them.

No wonder that they insist that there aren't really any 17:9 IMAX movies - just documentaries shown in special theaters.

That IMAX fills our peripheral vision both vertically and horizontally at the same distance - as SirMaster pointed out - disproves the central tenet of their faith, that the scope format was decreed by our Creator by giving us two side-by-side eyes.

No, it was decreed by the theaters nearly seventy years ago as a way to compete with old-style TV by offering something a 4:3 screen couldn't show well. I love a good scope film, but those who say that nothing else may be allowed to be more vertically immersive are just unwilling to admit that they've locked themselves into one format and are simply justifying that choice to themselves.
IMAX is definitely supposed to be the most vertically immersive format. However it should be noted that neither 1.85:1 film or 16:9 television is intended to be viewed as an IMAX presentation. IMAX has very little content and there are no no signs of that changing. So do you size your screen around the 1% of IMAX content or the 99% of film content that benefits from a scope screen?

Again in the end it's what makes you happy in your room.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Congratulations on the new projector. With the Lumagen and the A-lens I would say you are only limited by your room in terms of screen size. Unless you are talking over 180 inches diagonally. I know there are some owners here with a Lumagen and DCR lens who will chime in.

Obviously room conditions, screen material, throw distance and aspect ratio will play a role, but I cannot imagine how big you have to go to reduce the benefits of the JVC DTM and DCR lens combination even without the Lumagen .

I’m leaning towards Seymour Xd in 2.4:1 or 2.35. I was hoping 150 would still be bright. Throw won’t be a problem room is 29 feet long.

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
I’m leaning towards Seymour Xd in 2.4:1 or 2.35. I was hoping 150 would still be bright. Throw won’t be a problem room is 29 feet long.
Chris at Seymour AV has DCR lens on premises along with JVC nx7 I would just ask those guys what they think.

·
Registered
37 Posts
So I have the chief mount rpma-281. The bolts used to fasten the bracket to the projector are too short. It feels like only like 1-2 threads engage.

On the chief manual, it says they are m5 x 20 mm screws. When I look at the jvc feet that I had to unscrew to attach the bracket, the bolt looks to be about 25mm. When I look at the installation manual, jvc recommends an m5 bolt that's 15-25mm in length.

when I look at home depot, I see a 3rd number for these bolts which indicates thread pitch.

So there is a m5 - 0.8 x 25mm and a m5 - 32 x 25mm.

Does anyone know what size I would need for the nx7?

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
So I have the chief mount rpma-281. The bolts used to fasten the bracket to the projector are too short. It feels like only like 1-2 threads engage.

On the chief manual, it says they are m5 x 20 mm screws. When I look at the jvc feet that I had to unscrew to attach the bracket, the bolt looks to be about 25mm. When I look at the installation manual, jvc recommends an m5 bolt that's 15-25mm in length.

when I look at home depot, I see a 3rd number for these bolts which indicates thread pitch.

I use 25mm...not sure of the thread pitch

·
Registered
1,043 Posts

Go with Stewart ST130 and never second guess your choice :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: skylarlove1999

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
So do you size your screen around the 1% of IMAX content or the 99% of film content that benefits from a scope screen?
Correct answer is obviously - for both! 16:9 screen with masking!

Last off topic post from me on this topic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
316 Posts

I too used store-bought 25mm M5 screws (from Ace Hardware,) but I'm not sure about thread pitch.

·
Registered
6,525 Posts

Buy both and see which one works better??? Total cost will be less than $2.

Reactions: tommarra

·
Registered
28,796 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts

Buy both and see which one works better??? Total cost will be less than $2.
Yeah, the 32's arent in stock nearby. Hoping someone would say the 0.8 is the way to go. It fits OK. Just want to be sure. Would hate for a point of failure to be a 75 cent screw.

·
Registered
6,525 Posts
Yeah, the 32's arent in stock nearby. Hoping someone would say the 0.8 is the way to go. It fits OK. Just want to be sure. Would hate for a point of failure to be a 75 cent screw.
I hear you. I bought whatever Lowes had in stock and tested them before officially mounting the projector. You'll know if the connection is solid if you lift the projector up by the mount...there shouldn't be any movement at all.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
What HDR setting do you usually use?

Have only watched 10-12 movies.. So far I’m finding all Disney UHD discs like the high setting(Star Wars, Marvel, Fox). Groundhogs Day was Auto or medium). Streaming content all likes Auto so far.

·
Registered
6,525 Posts
What HDR setting do you usually use?

Have only watched 10-12 movies.. So far I’m finding all Disney UHD discs like the high setting(Star Wars, Marvel, Fox). Groundhogs Day was Auto or medium). Streaming content all likes Auto so far.
It really varies depending on the movie. Unfortunately, the metadata isn't always correct, which can cause issues with Auto. I wish there was a direct remote command to pick a particular mode versus having to go into the menu to choose which one you want.

As per my settings, when I watch a scope film on my 2.35:1 screen, I use high lamp iris fully open to get the most pop. If it's a 16x9 film, I'll watch in low power with the iris fully open. For SDR, I use -9 iris on an 88" diagonal screen. My scope setup is 110" diagonal. When watching 16x9, I use side masking.

27381 - 27400 of 29483 Posts