AVS Forum banner

27561 - 27580 of 29198 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Laser 4K (NX9 refresh) would be real nice and kind of expected eventually. But probably more like $20k-$25k.

And what are the chances they will be including HDMI 2.1 in their next NX series release? Wouldn’t that also support 4K HDR @ 120Hz refresh (8K HDR @ 60 Hz) and up to 48Gbps bandwidth? That could help judder, panning and other motion artifacts (as in fast action movies, sports, nature films) if higher frame rates were supported at 4K.
With what kind of source?

·
Registered
8,810 Posts
Still issues? I believed they have fixed it. Is it that hard just propagating the original metadata!?
I should have clarified that the comment was referring to shows that are in Dolby Vision, converted to HDR10 by the ATV4K.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Still issues? I believed they have fixed it. Is it that hard just propagating the original metadata!?
It would seem so. If the title is available in Dolby Vision, HDR10 output is derived from the DV source. So there is no original HDR10 metadata available to include. There is no base HDR10 layer for Dolby Vision streaming content.

·
Registered
18,113 Posts
Craig, would you ever back-pedal and return to a lamp based PJ after owning the RS4500?

edit: Not that lamp based JVC's aren't great (I own one), I was just wondering about your personal experience.
No. In fact at my current rate of usage this theoretically could be a " one and done ". Almost. Could be another 7 years before I'm down 10% in brightness, since I use low laser ( 40K hours to 1/2 brightness ) for 1080p sources and mid laser ( 30K hours to 1/2 brightness ) for UHD 4K sources. I might need one more similar laser projector to see me through the end of my life! :eek:

A native 4K laser projector was a dream of mine for several years. I'm living the dream. At it's current price, this dream is not that expensive ( some folks have much more expensive dreams ) ! :)

·
Registered
18,113 Posts
My next PJ is going to be laser, so I’m in no hurry. But I’d personally wait until later in the year to see if JVC has any announcements. But if you’re in a hurry, an NX7 would be great PJ.
I'd be willing to bet there won't be any real* upgrades / improvements / new models before late 2021.

*real improvements vs just a new model name, and the marketing dept. massaging the specs slightly so they look better.

·
Registered
18,113 Posts
I've had both a 2019 4K Roku Ultra and a 4K Amazon Fire Stick in my theater since I completed it in the fall of 2019, with the Roku used for everything but Amazon Music HD (since the Roku only has the mp3 version of Amazon Music) - particularly since the only way to even get CD quality from the FireSick is to lock it to PCM stereo output.

About two weeks ago I added an Nvidia Shield (the less-expensive "tube" model since the "Pro" was out of stock and I didn't need the USB input anyway), to get the 2019 Shields' AI Upscaling to 4K, which is excellent, adding "inferred" detail to 1080 and 480 streams. (Riker: "Computer: Enlarge and Enhance.")

Projected 11' 4'" wide by my RS1000, the Shield's AI upscaling is truly impressive. Between the Shield's AI Upscaling, gigabit Ethernet jack, and Puffin web browser (from the Google Play Store), it's largely displaced the Roku. I use the Shield's AI Upscaling to good effect on VUDU, Amazon Prime Video (including CBS All Access and Britbox), Disney + and Netflix.

The only video service I use that I can't get on the Shield is Apple TV+ (for the excellent series For All Mankind), so the Roku (with its 100 MB Ethernet jack) stays in the system for that - and its wonderful aquarium screen saver.

By the way, the best way to get TuneIn in a theater is to use a phone's TuneIn app to cast to the Shield (oh yeah, it's also a Chromecast receiver), with the phone on wifi. The Roku has the best TuneIn app of my three streamers (the Shield and the Fire Stick have nearly useless versions and the Roku's version, while good, can't get some stations with codecs the Roku doesn't support - like KJAZZ in California - but casting from my android phone sidesteps all of those problems).

Though the phone does get Amazon Music HD, that service only "casts" as mp3s, so I still use the Fire Stick for that.

No one streamer has all the bases covered.
I've been impressed with the Amazon Fire Stick 4K since getting one at the start of the quarantine March 20th. For under $ 50.00 I thought the picture and sound were excellent. We've watched a ton of stuff on it, all through Amazon Prime - an a lot of Amazon shows.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I've had both a 2019 4K Roku Ultra and a 4K Amazon Fire Stick in my theater since I completed it in the fall of 2019, with the Roku used for everything but Amazon Music HD (since the Roku only has the mp3 version of Amazon Music) - particularly since the only way to even get CD quality from the FireSick is to lock it to PCM stereo output.

About two weeks ago I added an Nvidia Shield (the less-expensive "tube" model since the "Pro" was out of stock and I didn't need the USB input anyway), to get the 2019 Shields' AI Upscaling to 4K, which is excellent, adding "inferred" detail to 1080 and 480 streams. (Riker: "Computer: Enlarge and Enhance.")

Projected 11' 4'" wide by my RS1000, the Shield's AI upscaling is truly impressive. Between the Shield's AI Upscaling, gigabit Ethernet jack, and Puffin web browser (from the Google Play Store), it's largely displaced the Roku. I use the Shield's AI Upscaling to good effect on VUDU, Amazon Prime Video (including CBS All Access and Britbox), Disney + and Netflix.

The only video service I use that I can't get on the Shield is Apple TV+ (for the excellent series For All Mankind), so the Roku (with its 100 MB Ethernet jack) stays in the system for that - and its wonderful aquarium screen saver.

By the way, the best way to get TuneIn in a theater is to use a phone's TuneIn app to cast to the Shield (oh yeah, it's also a Chromecast receiver), with the phone on wifi. The Roku has the best TuneIn app of my three streamers (the Shield and the Fire Stick have nearly useless versions and the Roku's version, while good, can't get some stations with codecs the Roku doesn't support - like KJAZZ in California - but casting from my android phone sidesteps all of those problems).

Though the phone does get Amazon Music HD, that service only "casts" as mp3s, so I still use the Fire Stick for that.

No one streamer has all the bases covered.
I've been impressed with the Amazon Fire Stick 4K since getting one at the start of the quarantine March 20th. For under $ 50.00 I thought the picture and sound were excellent. We've watched a ton of stuff on it, all through Amazon Prime - an a lot of Amazon shows.
For things already at 4K, all streamers look good. It's the AI Upscaling to 4K of streams at 1080 and below that's the Shield's ace in the hole, plus its "provider neutrality" and built in gigabit Ethernet jack (in addition to wifi).

It's more expensive than the Roku or the Fire, but it's worth it. The cylinder-shaped base model (commonly called the Tube) costs $150; the Pro model which adds a USB input and more memory costs $200 - when it's in stock.

Reactions: skylarlove1999

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
For things already at 4K, all streamers look good. It's the AI Upscaling to 4K of streams at 1080 and below that's the Shield's ace in the hole, plus its "provider neutrality" and built in gigabit Ethernet jack (in addition to wifi).

It's more expensive than the Roku or the Fire, but it's worth it. The cylinder-shaped base model (commonly called the Tube) costs $150; the Pro model which adds a USB input and more memory costs $200 - when it's in stock.
The upscaling feature of the 2019 Shield is pretty amazing . The speed between apps is better than the ROku Ultra or the Amazon 4K stick. Amazon really pushes their content. UI leaves a lot to be desired on the Firestick. Shield UI is impressive.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
It would seem so. If the title is available in Dolby Vision, HDR10 output is derived from the DV source. So there is no original HDR10 metadata available to include. There is no base HDR10 layer for Dolby Vision streaming content.
Really? Shouldn't HDR10 be always available to be backward compatible? Are you saying that there are DV contents that cannot be seen properly? Or is it instead due to a wrong interpretation made by ATV, that sends DV even though the device is not DV capable?

·
Registered
18,113 Posts
The upscaling feature of the 2019 Shield is pretty amazing . The speed between apps is better than the ROku Ultra or the Amazon 4K stick. Amazon really pushes their content. UI leaves a lot to be desired on the Firestick. Shield UI is impressive.

I was really only interested in watching" Picard " and " Homeland - season 8 ". Wound up watching a bunch of Amazon shows like " Jack Ryan ", " Electric Dreams " and " Tales From The Loop ". One perquisite was whatever the device, $50.00 was max. The reason being once the month long free streaming offers were over, our streaming is over ( until a new season of Picard and maybe Jack Ryan ). Back to watching discs - I just got 6 new 4K discs in and I've built up a serious backlog of films. I don't need Netflix - I have my own personal " CraigFlix " library ! ;)

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
I was really only interested in watching" Picard " and " Homeland - season 8 ". Wound up watching a bunch of Amazon shows like " Jack Ryan ", " Electric Dreams " and " Tales From The Loop ". One perquisite was whatever the device, $50.00 was max. The reason being once the month long free streaming offers were over, our streaming is over ( until a new season of Picard and maybe Jack Ryan ). Back to watching discs - I just got 6 new 4K discs in and I've built up a serious backlog of films. I don't need Netflix - I have my own personal " CraigFlix " library ! ;)
A "CraigFlix" disc rental service would be awesome!!! I really enjoyed both seasons of Jack Ryan.

·
Registered
19 Posts
happy memorial day to all,
i am about to replace my epson 6050 with the NX7 and i wanted to know if the CHIEF mount RPAU would work to mount this NX7 PROJECTOR? it worked very good with the JVC 770R i had here briefly, but i wanted to first make sure? thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Really? Shouldn't HDR10 be always available to be backward compatible? Are you saying that there are DV contents that cannot be seen properly? Or is it instead due to a wrong interpretation made by ATV, that sends DV even though the device is not DV capable?
Apple decided to derive HDR10 output from a Dolby Vision source.

Netflix does the same for their original content, deriving HDR10 and SDR versions from a Dolby Vision source. Netflix stores those derived HDR10 and SDR derived versions so they can be delivered when the display is not Dolby Vision capable.

Netflix Originals are mastered, packaged, and delivered in the Dolby Vision format. From this package, we derive Dolby Vision, HDR10, and SDR streams for Netflix customers to enjoy.

https://partnerhelp.netflixstudios.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000599948-Color-Grading-Dolby-Vision-HDR

·
Registered
501 Posts
With what kind of source?
Whatever sources makes use of HDMI 2.1 formatted output. I would hope that new source devices would be created to support the HDMI 2.1 format. Otherwise very little would be gained. And I doubt the new LG OLED 4K HDR HDMI 2.1 displays were created only for gamers?

I’m currently running madVR HTPC with SVP (Smooth Video Project) software with up to 4K60. SVP frame rate conversion up to 60/120/144+ fps is supported. Due to my current displays, the best I can achieve today is 60fps. I really do like high FPS on some content and would like to upgrade to 120Hz 4K HDR displays sooner or later.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Whatever sources makes use of HDMI 2.1 formatted output. I would hope that new source devices would be created to support the HDMI 2.1 format. Otherwise very little would be gained. And I doubt the new 4K HDR HDMI 2.1 displays (LG OLED's) and others, were created only for gamers?

I’m currently running madVR HTPC with SVP (Smooth Video Project) software with up to 4K60. SVP frame rate conversion up to 60/120/144+ fps is supported. Due to my current displays, the best I can achieve today is 60fps. I really do like high FPS on some content and would like to upgrade to 120Hz 4K HDR displays sooner or later.
Do you think your eyes can distinguish 60fps from 120fps?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Apple decided to derive HDR10 output from a Dolby Vision source.

Netflix does the same for their original content, deriving HDR10 and SDR versions from a Dolby Vision source. Netflix stores those derived HDR10 and SDR derived versions so they can be delivered when the display is not Dolby Vision capable.

Netflix Originals are mastered, packaged, and delivered in the Dolby Vision format. From this package, we derive Dolby Vision, HDR10, and SDR streams for Netflix customers to enjoy.

https://partnerhelp.netflixstudios.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000599948-Color-Grading-Dolby-Vision-HDR
Wait, what Netflix does is different: I can understand that they have the contents at their best (DV) and they convert server-side to HDR10 if the device is not capable to play DV. That’s what I see through my firestick or Panasonic 820, without doing any conversion player-side.
Are you saying that ATV plays instead always DV version and converts it real-time to HDR10? And it does it in a wrong way by presenting wrong metadata?
Is that true for any provider? Amazon prime video, Disney +, etc.?
Why it doesn’t just select the most appropriate version according the device?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Do you think your eyes can distinguish 60fps from 120fps?
This is getting to be OT, but smoother motion and less artifacts would be my number one goal. I have seen 144hz gamer displays and smoother motion is obvious on those. Thinking of getting a 120 hz LG OLED for my first 120fps display, to judge improvement.:)

·
Registered
28,740 Posts
happy memorial day to all,
i am about to replace my epson 6050 with the NX7 and i wanted to know if the CHIEF mount RPAU would work to mount this NX7 PROJECTOR? it worked very good with the JVC 770R i had here briefly, but i wanted to first make sure? thanks in advance!
Does not fit the NX7, but it also does not fit the 770R either. Use at your own risk.

·
Registered
28,740 Posts
Hi all,

I have recently purchased a JVC-N5, should be arriving later today, store I purchased from do not stock ceiling mounts for it so found a store in my country that claimed to have a ceiling mount specifically for my model.

The ceiling mount just arrived and on the installation sheet I spotted this:

"The static load rating of max. 15kg is significantly reduced by the introlduction of any dynamic forces (shock, vibration etc.) and/or with large offset loading from the swivel ball."

I am a bit worried now, the website stated that this was a mount made for my projector yet the claimed max rating is 15kg (projector weights 19.8kg).

Im hoping its just a typo on the instruction sheet but not sure I trust it now that I read that.

Just making sure im reading that warning right before I start the fun of a return.
Why did you not just list the mount you bought, rather than have people guess if it could work for you?

27561 - 27580 of 29198 Posts