AVS Forum banner

27581 - 27600 of 29198 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Wait, what Netflix does is different: I can understand that they have the contents at their best (DV) and they convert server-side to HDR10 if the device is not capable to play DV. That’s what I see through my firestick or Panasonic 820, without doing any conversion player-side.
Are you saying that ATV plays instead always DV version and converts it real-time to HDR10? And it does it in a wrong way by presenting wrong metadata?
Is that true for any provider? Amazon prime video, Disney +, etc.?
Why it doesn’t just select the most appropriate version according the device?
Watch Vincent Teoh's explanation and comparison of Apple TV Dolby Vision vs Dolby Vision converted in real time to HDR10. It's worth watching to the end.

Amazon has very little Dolby Vision content. As for Disney+, I don't know. I keep meaning to spend some time with Xcode so that I can view the Apple TV developer menu like Vincent does where it displays the source as Dolby Vision even for the HDR10 output.

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Registered
28,740 Posts
This is the one I purchased, seems to be custom made for my projector but the installation sheet has me a bit worried stating a 15kg load limit (not mentioned on the website).
https://www.ultramount.com.au/product-page/jvc-projector-mount-to-suit-jvc-dla-x30-dla-x70-dla-x75r-dla-x90-dla-x95r

The other option is a universal mount - this one seems to be rated correctly.
https://www.radioparts.com.au/product/43130172/vmpr1b-adjustable-projector-mount-with-tilt-swivel-sanus
I would get a Chief mount with custom plate. Much better than the mounts shown in the links.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I just realized I did nothing with the Brightness and contrast... :eek: It is still set mid point on both. I have a few calibration discs I need to use. Is there a general setting range most set those to?

·
Registered
501 Posts

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
3D question

Just messing with 3D on the NX7 for the first time. Doesn’t seem to have a 3D picture mode. Can anyone tell me the recommended settings? Trying to eyeball it, not working well so far. 😕

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
And here are some of our own elite members, mentioned in a HDFury link about DV and HDR10! Cool:cool:

https://www.hdfury.com/enjoy-dynamic-dv-content-from-lldv-source-on-any-hdr10-display/

edit: Okay Claw you are now "power user Claw", offically!:D
:eek:

Most of the work was done by others such as markswift2003 creating a custom BT2020 LLDV EDID to load in the HDfury devices so that any average user with an HDfury device and an HDR10 display with a BT2020 color profile could properly take advantage of LLDV input rather than just those that have DCI-P3 profiles which is what LLDV for Sony TVs defaults to. I was just a collator that made the various technical details of the solution more understandable to the average user. I have been a HDfury device tester and user ever since their first 4K devices were introduced.

·
Registered
987 Posts
No. In fact at my current rate of usage this theoretically could be a " one and done ". Almost. Could be another 7 years before I'm down 10% in brightness, since I use low laser ( 40K hours to 1/2 brightness ) for 1080p sources and mid laser ( 30K hours to 1/2 brightness ) for UHD 4K sources. I might need one more similar laser projector to see me through the end of my life! :eek:

A native 4K laser projector was a dream of mine for several years. I'm living the dream. At it's current price, this dream is not that expensive ( some folks have much more expensive dreams ) ! :)

The JVC specs for laser dimming are probably overly conservative. One user has confirmed he has operated 6000 hours at 100% High laser with zero drop in peak luminance.

·
Premium Member
There is a few things in my Home Theatre.
23,182 Posts
:eek:

Most of the work was done by others such as markmon1 creating a custom BT2020 LLDV EDID to load in the HDfury devices so that any average user with an HDfury device and an HDR10 display with a BT2020 color profile could properly take advantage of LLDV input rather than just those that have DCI-P3 profiles which is what LLDV for Sony TVs defaults to. I was just a collator that made the various technical details of the solution more understandable to the average user. I have been a HDfury device tester and user ever since their first 4K devices were introduced.
Ive recently purchased the Vertex 2 and awaiting my NX9 to come back from service. Where can I find JVC LLDV so I can upload and experience DV ?

Cheers

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Ive recently purchased the Vertex 2 and awaiting my NX9 to come back from service. Where can I find JVC LLDV so I can upload and experience DV ?

Cheers
Perhaps some more users can chime in as to if they are really seeing a difference with DV...might motivate some others to purchase the HDFury device...Ive not been close to this but would definitely purchase if it made a difference...in for a penny, in for a pound...

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
3D question

Just messing with 3D on the NX7 for the first time. Doesn’t seem to have a 3D picture mode. Can anyone tell me the recommended settings? Trying to eyeball it, not working well so far. 😕
The projector will automatically recognize a 3D disc...do u have the emitter and glasses? Are u spinning a disc or streaming MKV? MKV requires a bit more fiddling...

·
Premium Member
There is a few things in my Home Theatre.
23,182 Posts
Perhaps some more users can chime in as to if they are really seeing a difference with DV...might motivate some others to purchase the HDFury device...Ive not been close to this but would definitely purchase if it made a difference...in for a penny, in for a pound...
I bought it actually I assumed the issue was with the Marantz not the JVC but it came too late anyway. But If it does Dolby Vision be interested in trying it. I have the Sony X700 and the Panasonic's.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi all,

I have recently purchased a JVC-N5, should be arriving later today, store I purchased from do not stock ceiling mounts for it so found a store in my country that claimed to have a ceiling mount specifically for my model.

The ceiling mount just arrived and on the installation sheet I spotted this:

"The static load rating of max. 15kg is significantly reduced by the introlduction of any dynamic forces (shock, vibration etc.) and/or with large offset loading from the swivel ball."

I am a bit worried now, the website stated that this was a mount made for my projector yet the claimed max rating is 15kg (projector weights 19.8kg).

Im hoping its just a typo on the instruction sheet but not sure I trust it now that I read that.

Just making sure im reading that warning right before I start the fun of a return.

Yep, you'll want to get the Chief RPA-281. I just bought this mount for my recent NX5 purchase. You don't want to be playing around and risking your NX5 or the safety of people with an inadequate mount. It's not cheap, but neither was the NX5 :) Worth not skimping on this.

Reactions: Azekecse

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I just realized I did nothing with the Brightness and contrast... :eek: It is still set mid point on both. I have a few calibration discs I need to use. Is there a general setting range most set those to?

The stock middle setting on my NX5 is correct for mine, so it could be correct for you but it won’t hurt to check with some test patterns.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
3D question

Just messing with 3D on the NX7 for the first time. Doesn’️t seem to have a 3D picture mode. Can anyone tell me the recommended settings? Trying to eyeball it, not working well so far. 😕
The projector will automatically recognize a 3D disc...do u have the emitter and glasses? Are u spinning a disc or streaming MKV? MKV requires a bit more fiddling...
Tried Ant-Man 3D Blu Ray.. the projector stays in natural mode. And there is no 3D in the picture modes, Natural, Cinema, HDR etc.

Oppo set to 3D auto, got the emitter and glasses(all working). The last two JVCs had 3D modes.. 🏻

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Tried Ant-Man 3D Blu Ray.. the projector stays in natural mode. And there is no 3D in the picture modes, Natural, Cinema, HDR etc.

Oppo set to 3D auto, got the emitter and glasses(all working).
The 3D settings are in the menu next to the picture mode setting menu if I am remembering correctly...(3D should be set to Auto)

Edit: there is no 3D picture mode...it will stay in whatever mode u r using

·
Registered
3,559 Posts

Oppo set to 3D auto, got the emitter and glasses(all working).
The 3D settings are in the menu next to the picture mode setting menu if I am remembering correctly...(3D should be set to Auto)

Edit: there is no 3D picture mode...it will stay in whatever mode u r using
Yep JVC is set to 3D auto.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I just read on the new HDFury DV support on non DV devices. Would I get any benefit using this with my NX9?
If you're referring to folks using the player lead DV tonemapping on projectors using the Fury, then no. The Frame Adapt HDR setting will still offer a better experience from what I've read.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Yep JVC is set to 3D auto.
Hmmmm, perhaps some others can chime in...I know it sounds stooopid, but just double check u r using the 3D blu Ray not the regular blu Ray

27581 - 27600 of 29198 Posts