AVS Forum banner

27641 - 27660 of 31115 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Questions for those running a Harmony Elite with hub remote on your NX7s. All of my electronics are in my media closet. I have the Harmony hub in the closet as well. Will it not contol my NX7 with the IR repeaters in the closet or do I have to run one of the IR repeaters out of the closet in view of the NX7? I even ran the hub in the room with the projector and still will not work it. I tried to manually setup the NX7 remote but still no luck. What do I have to do to get the Harmony hub to recognize my NX7?
I have my hub in a cabinet under the screen. The door has a screen over an opening in the cabinet door so the hubs ir points to the projector. No problems. You do have to set the remote to send two power off commands. That is under the setup for the JVC projector in the harmony.
If you connect the projector to your network you can use IP commands to operate it. The harmony supports IP commands.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
384 Posts
Questions for those running a Harmony Elite with hub remote on your NX7s. All of my electronics are in my media closet. I have the Harmony hub in the closet as well. Will it not contol my NX7 with the IR repeaters in the closet or do I have to run one of the IR repeaters out of the closet in view of the NX7? I even ran the hub in the room with the projector and still will not work it. I tried to manually setup the NX7 remote but still no luck. What do I have to do to get the Harmony hub to recognize my NX7?
I have my hub in a cabinet under the screen. The door has a screen over an opening in the cabinet door so the hubs ir points to the projector. No problems. You do have to set the remote to send two power off commands. That is under the setup for the JVC projector in the harmony.
If you connect the projector to your network you can use IP commands to operate it. The harmony supports IP commands.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Does the projector have to be hard wired to the network?

·
Registered
29,395 Posts
You will need to either use the IR blaster connected to the hub and have it blast into the room in such a way that the front or back IR receiver on the projector receives the signal or an IR emitter from the hub, connected to the IR receiver on the back or front of the projector. Also, if you hard wire the projector, you can use IP control

·
Registered
384 Posts
You will need to either use the IR blaster connected to the hub and have it blast into the room in such a way that the front or back IR receiver on the projector receives the signal or an IR emitter from the hub, connected to the IR receiver on the back or front of the projector.
Sounds like the only way to make it work is get a 20' IR blaster extender and run it through the attic and drop it in behind the projector.

·
Registered
29,395 Posts
Sounds like the only way to make it work is get a 20' IR blaster extender and run it through the attic and drop it in behind the projector.
I forgot about IP control. Added that to my post. Would have to make hard connection to projector.

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
That's what I did....cheap and easy. The cable is small so fishing it was much easier than HDMI, that's for sure!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Had weird no signal issue last with my N7 – Not sure how a signal could cause this?? -
My son installed new Mindcraft Dungeons on Xbox one X –
When went into video options – brightness menu- when moved setting projector lost image-
N7 was running just no signal – even changing the source (onscreen menus etc) – nada –
Did restart on projector - watched movie – no issues – used it all night and today its fine –
So retried Minecraft - exact same issue - Not really concerned about projector but curious how
a source could cause this – never had other issues besides this – thought?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have the Sony 260ES, which has the colour banding issues, something to do with 10 Bit colour and 8 bit panel, and I bought it knowing it had the issues, not expecting to see it that much given it's supposed to only affect 4K HDR @ 60FPS, which makes up a relatively small amount of my viewing. However it seems to be present in other content and the amount of 4K gaming has increased. By the end of the year, with 2 new Next Gen consoles due, it will likely be very bad.

I am looking to replace it and was recommended to consider the N5 as a replacement. It's quite a jump up over what I was paying for my Sony's and it does seem to review pretty well (though reviews are surprisingly sparse). I went to a dealer to who had one and they struggled to get it "working right" and the colours looked over saturated, and some pictures were just awful. I don't have a light controlled room but the Sony handles it fine (enough for me).

I watched a video (
) and at 9:27 with the two couches, the NX5 has what I think is called "noise" on the back of the top of the couch, and there is a weird effect outside the couches to the hard left and right? I am not sure what that is, and if it's a "feature"of this type of projector, the camera used, technique or what, also at around 10:20 or there abouts it looks a little less smooth in the sky (blue), also at 9:06.

I do mostly gaming and watching sport, so motion is very important. As is Input Lag.

I was surprised we are seeming to still be at relatively low lumens for this level of projector. I also say that Optoma have gaming specific projectors with higher refresh rates.

I know at some point you need to buy something and something new will be out next week or next year, but I am wondering, if I suffer through for a while longer, if something substantially better might be immediately pending?

Also, are there any other gotchas or big downsides to the NX5 I should know about, demoing locally is proving to be quite difficult and so I am mostly having to go off what I can read about...

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
384 Posts
That's what I did....cheap and easy. The cable is small so fishing it was much easier than HDMI, that's for sure!
Actually since the projector is behind me I just switched the Harmony remote to IR only and works perfect that way. Do not even have to turn the remote around to make it work via just IR.

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
Actually since the projector is behind me I just switched the Harmony remote to IR only and works perfect that way. Do not even have to turn the remote around to make it work via just IR.
I used to have mine setup that way with a URC remote, but with my gear on the left side of the room my wife and kids would always point the remote that way (even though all the gear is controlled via RF :), but they would always do it anyway and the JVC wouldn't receive the shutoff command properly. I then ran the IR extender to the projector and then put the JVC on RF commands as well...no there's never an issue :)

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
I am viewing the QBF pattern through my PC on my RS3000. The sharpness looks on par with what I have seen others here post. However the 1x1 checkerboard grid has a red tint to it. It even has this when I defocus the image completely. Is this normal? If not, any thoughts on what could cause it? I have not calibrated the projector.

The normal image looks fantastic but I'm still curious about this.

·
Premium Member
1,469 Posts
You can set the Harmony to only do this for this device too, and other devices to still use the hub (or particular outputs on the hub). I did this until I ran an IR blaster extension along my HDMI cable.

·
Registered
384 Posts
You can set the Harmony to only do this for this device too, and other devices to still use the hub (or particular outputs on the hub). I did this until I ran an IR blaster extension along my HDMI cable.
Yes this is what I am doing for now and working well. I will probably still end up dropping an IR wire down with the HDMI cord as well. Since I am running a DCR lens the option of switching Anamorphic modes with the Harmony with one button push is nice.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,801 Posts
Good to now Dave. Once I get my projector back would love to try :)
I thought you permanently moved to an epson because it was good enough?

·
Registered
29,395 Posts
I have the Sony 260ES, which has the colour banding issues, something to do with 10 Bit colour and 8 bit panel, and I bought it knowing it had the issues, not expecting to see it that much given it's supposed to only affect 4K HDR @ 60FPS, which makes up a relatively small amount of my viewing. However it seems to be present in other content and the amount of 4K gaming has increased. By the end of the year, with 2 new Next Gen consoles due, it will likely be very bad.

I am looking to replace it and was recommended to consider the N5 as a replacement. It's quite a jump up over what I was paying for my Sony's and it does seem to review pretty well (though reviews are surprisingly sparse). I went to a dealer to who had one and they struggled to get it "working right" and the colours looked over saturated, and some pictures were just awful. I don't have a light controlled room but the Sony handles it fine (enough for me).

I watched a video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tt6qa7qllQ) and at 9:27 with the two couches, the NX5 has what I think is called "noise" on the back of the top of the couch, and there is a weird effect outside the couches to the hard left and right? I am not sure what that is, and if it's a "feature"of this type of projector, the camera used, technique or what, also at around 10:20 or there abouts it looks a little less smooth in the sky (blue), also at 9:06.

I do mostly gaming and watching sport, so motion is very important. As is Input Lag.

I was surprised we are seeming to still be at relatively low lumens for this level of projector. I also say that Optoma have gaming specific projectors with higher refresh rates.

Also, are there any other gotchas or big downsides to the NX5 I should know about, demoing locally is proving to be quite difficult and so I am mostly having to go off what I can read about...

Any help appreciated.
I would never look at a video and try to determine the projectors performance from it. Also if the JVC looked over saturated, then I bet the dealer had the BT2020 filter in place, but was showing SDR content. That would cause that problem.
I know at some point you need to buy something and something new will be out next week or next year, but I am wondering, if I suffer through for a while longer, if something substantially better might be immediately pending?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I would never look at a video and try to determine the projectors performance from it. Also if the JVC looked over saturated, then I bet the dealer had the BT2020 filter in place, but was showing SDR content. That would cause that problem.

To be honest, the only dealer near me with one on demo doesn't really know that much about them (in detail per se). There are millions of menu options but yeah, they didn't even know about the tone mapping (which I still don't understand).

I guess, if I am honest, I am right up there near the top of my budget, so if I make the jump, I really want to feel like Colour Banding is definitely not going to be an issue, and that a cheaper model wouldn't suit me almost as well for what I am doing, or that if I wait 3-6 months something substantially better might be along soon. This would be a 3-5 year purchase for me at that price.

I did take a look online at the Optoma gaming ones which are 240hz @ 1080P, though I'd be SUPER happy with 120hz at 4K.

When do companies release their new models, any idea what's in the next gen line up for likely features?

Sorry, lots of questions.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,801 Posts

The colors over saturated likely means the dealer had things in the wrong modes and didn't have colors matched (bt2020 vs bt709 mismatch). The N5 calibrates very well so this is not just an issue with JVC or no one would buy them. But the main advantage of JVC over the other brands like optoma is its black levels. And if you do not have a light controlled room, you will not benefit from that at all. Light controlled room just means you can kill all ambient light. It does not require black velvet everywhere. If you cant turn off the lights to the point where you can't see anything in the room, then you will never get good black levels. And in that case, there's no point in getting a high contrast projector like a JVC.

I watched a video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tt6qa7qllQ) and at 9:27 with the two couches, the NX5 has what I think is called "noise" on the back of the top of the couch, and there is a weird effect outside the couches to the hard left and right? I am not sure what that is, and if it's a "feature"of this type of projector, the camera used, technique or what, also at around 10:20 or there abouts it looks a little less smooth in the sky (blue), also at 9:06.
The JVC side in that video around that time seems very out of focus to me. Every time I pause it I see a clear epson picture and a ghosted JVC picture. I would guess that's why it looks that way. JVC's dont have a lot of noise otherwise no one would buy them. You cannot judge a projector based off a video of its performance being watched on another display.

Yep, input lag is decent around 35ms but not as great as a gaming projector like optoma which I think had input lag in 17 range. So is motion at 60 hz input with 60 fps content in game mode.

Any help appreciated.
I don't think anything substantially better is coming in the next year or more. The problem is your room though. There's no point getting a high end projector if you cant even light contol your room. If that's the situation, I'd stick with the DLPs - although right now only JVC and Sony provide true 4K. For games at 4K there's a huge sharpness advantage to true 4K over something like an Epson pixel shifting. Some of the 4k DLPs sport a high enough resolution to be very sharp for 4K games also.

27641 - 27660 of 31115 Posts