AVS Forum banner

28181 - 28200 of 29364 Posts

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I'm seriously considering buying the NX5 and a big reason for going back to using a projector (it's been several years) is for 3D content. I like the benefit of better contrast and colors of the JVC versus the DLP options, and it seems based on reading this thread that these newer D-ILA based projectors are far better at eliminating crosstalk and ghosting over the older generation LCD projectors.

But I'm concerned with the 96Hz 3D glasses refresh rate. It's a shame they couldn't use a triple-flash 144Hz rate, where each 24Hz frame of a movie is shown 3 times for each eye before transitioning to the next frame. Can anyone comment on this? Does the 96Hz rate produce noticeable flicker? Does it cause eye fatigue and how does it compare to the 144Hz systems common in DLP for those that have experience with both? Thank you!

EDIT: Seems to be pretty subjective, so I'm wondering how I'd be able to test out this projector in 3D before committing to a $5k purchase.
Are you talking about single chip DLP with spinny wheels for the colours because that's the only 144Hz 3D I am aware of. The effect of colour wheels I am extremely sensitive to 2D or 3D. In contrast the 96Hz is simply based on a 4x multiplier for 24Hz in order to eliminate visible flicker and as LCoS is triple chip, I am wondering if this is totally an orange apple comparison. I have not read of anyone who can detect flicker at either frequency. I have never had eye strain or headaches from 3D on JVC projectors with the exception of some very bad 2D conversions in the early days where convergence was poorly handled at the source mastering.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Does anyone know if remotes from the previous line of JVC projectors work with the N series? N series doesn't have lens memory dedicated buttons (unless I'm missing a shortcut?) and I'd like to use lens memory IR commands from the previous series.
Earlier remotes do work fine (I actually prefer the raised buttons). The new "Settings Memory" is the same IR code as "Lens Memory". However the function selected in the projector is actually "Installation Mode" which includes other functions as well as Lens Memory. I don't find this a problem in selecting a Lens Memory, but maybe it's different for you?

·
Registered
8,837 Posts
I could be wrong but I don't see how using a device like this without using the external USB power could do anything.
In this case the issue was the excessive 5V power from the active cable. Using this device without the external USB power should still isolate the projector from the excessive cable power.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
In this case the issue was the excessive 5V power from the active cable. Using this device without the external USB power should still isolate the projector from the excessive cable power.
Thanks for this explanation. It seems like it might be good to use one just to prevent possible damage to the HDMI port from what you say. Wondering if you think one should or should not use it with a USB adapter?

·
Registered
8,837 Posts
Thanks for this explanation. It seems like it might be good to use one just to prevent possible damage to the HDMI port from what you say. Wondering if you think one should or should not use it with a USB adapter?
I believe skrontz explained it well in his post:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/3038288-official-jvc-rs3000-nx9-jvc-rs2000-nx7-n7-jvc-rs1000-nx5-n5-owners-thread-939.html#post59802792

The design of the adapter assumes the voltage comes from the source (connected to the male end of the adapter). If instead the power comes from an active cable (which goes into the female end) then the adapter has to be used backwards and plugged into the projector, as per the recommendation from JVC. In such a configuration the power from the source (cable) is not isolated from the adapter and the cable, so one shouldn’t apply yet another power source.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
i know i am going to regret asking such a rookie question here, but i am at a loss.

I was working to enhance the focus and sharpness on my nx7 today and i was sucessfull.

However, after i was done i found all my sources (apple tv 4k, nvidia shield tv pro, panasonic ub820 4k bluray player) were seeing the projector through a denon avr-x4500x as a 1080p display.

How do i get back to 4k on the nx7 and all my 4k sources?
bump - in need of advice.

·
Semi-Advanced Member
562 Posts
Question:
Anyone running RS2000 with DCR Lens AND Radiance PRO? Thoughts on the combination. Would you buy the DCR or the Radiance first? Does the Radiance make a nice difference?

I have the DCR however someone I was talking to said if they needed to pick between the DCR and the Radiance Pro they would buy the Radiance all the time.

From experience with the JVC want to know others thoughts and why. Thanks.
After owning a Panamorph for a dozen years, the DCR was a no-brainer.

Then I decided to get the Lumagen.

What has it added? For the first time in our theater, total plug-and-play.

3D, HDX, UHD, 16x9, 185:1, 235:1 - all fit our scope screen automatically - with a completely consistent, beautifully tone-mapped picture from movie to movie.

Add to that, Lumagen's superior support and long track record of implementing firmware updates and upgrades (ala Oppo, when they were in the player business.)

Oppo+NX7+Lumagen+DCR+Stewart 130 = for the first time since building our theater (link below) zero plans for future upgrades (beyond whatever may come via firmware.)

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,396 Posts
I know I am going to regret asking such a rookie question here, but I am at a loss.

I was working to enhance the focus and sharpness on my NX7 today and I was sucessfull.

However, after I was done I found all my sources (Apple Tv 4k, Nvidia Shield TV Pro, Panasonic UB820 4K Bluray Player) were seeing the projector through a Denon AVR-X4500X as a 1080P Display.

How do I get back to 4K on the NX7 and all my 4K sources?
If you're using HDMI1 on the projector, then there's nothing in the projector that can impact this. If you're using HDMI2 on the projector, then the only setting in the projector that can impact this is if you've set HDMI2 EDID to "B". It should be set to "A". If you're either on HDMI1 or your HDMI2 EDID is set to "A" already, then your issue is in the AVR side or in the cable(s).

·
Registered
181 Posts
Earlier remotes do work fine (I actually prefer the raised buttons). The new "Settings Memory" is the same IR code as "Lens Memory". However the function selected in the projector is actually "Installation Mode" which includes other functions as well as Lens Memory. I don't find this a problem in selecting a Lens Memory, but maybe it's different for you?
Thanks for your reply. I tried my existing setup that had saved IR commands for Lens memory 1 and 3 of the 3 buttons on my previous JVC remote/wand. Looks like it's selecting Mode 1 and 3 respectively in the settings memory screen on the NX7, this will work nicely.

I was more trying to avoid multiple IR commands to get at a lens/settings memory through menus rather than a single command.

Regarding settings memory, I guess this saves things like low latency and MPC data per mode rather than having to toggle to a lens memory like the older models and change additional settings as required?

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,396 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I tried my existing setup that had saved IR commands for Lens memory 1 and 3 of the 3 buttons on my previous JVC remote/wand. Looks like it's selecting Mode 1 and 3 respectively in the settings memory screen on the NX7, this will work nicely.

I was more trying to avoid multiple IR commands to get at a lens/settings memory through menus rather than a single command.

Regarding settings memory, I guess this saves things like low latency and MPC data per mode rather than having to toggle to a lens memory like the older models and change additional settings as required?
No, MPC data is saved as part of the video preset not the installation mode preset. The installation modes save your focus, lens shift, everything on the installation page.

·
Registered
947 Posts

I had forgotten that there was a time when there were only 3 lens memories. I never had one of those. I'm glad that JVC retained those individual memory IR commands even though they haven't been on the remotes for years.

The present manual can be confusing, but the items included in Installation Mode (settings memory) are listed at the top of page 53.

·
Registered
28,775 Posts
Does anyone know if remotes from the previous line of JVC projectors work with the N series? N series doesn't have lens memory dedicated buttons (unless I'm missing a shortcut?) and I'd like to use lens memory IR commands from the previous series.
I have not checked all buttons, but I do know that JVC does not change the codes. Old remotes even going back 10 years can operate new projectors.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
That's not what I'm saying.

The device is designed to be inserted at the source, and the product description on Amazon clearly spells it out. That is the only place where you can possibly inject the +5V power.

If you use it per JVC's recommendation, you should not plug in the USB cable to inject +5V.
Sorry but you are partly wrong.

The device is indeed intended to be used at the source. The reason for that is that it isolates the 5 Volt source from the load of an active fiber optic cable or extender. Some hdmi outputs might not have the current capacity to drive the active circuitry in some of these cables and the inserter does have that current capacity.
(Original hdmi spec specifies 55mA.)

It doesn't matter where the device is inserted. If it is intended to be used to shield the input from whatever the active cable is doing to the 5V it can be plugged into a 5 volt supply without problem. If you don't plug it into a 5 volt supply it might even load the hdmi source even further.

Proof is simple. A passive hdmi cable just connects the 5V with a copper wire between the connectors. It doesn't matter at which end the device is inserted as long as the hdmi input gets a stable 5V.

Worst case scenario:
Dodgy active cable overloads the source 5v supply by drawing too much current. Insert the device to boost the current capacity.
Dodgy active cable has dodgy circuitry intended to negate voltage drop across the cable that causes overvoltage at the hdmi input. Insert device to isolate input and supply a stabilized 5V.
In that scenario you need two. :)

Do make sure that the 5V USB supply itself is providing a stable output! Just in case the inserter simply passes the 5 volt from the usb power adapter.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
If you're using HDMI1 on the projector, then there's nothing in the projector that can impact this. If you're using HDMI2 on the projector, then the only setting in the projector that can impact this is if you've set HDMI2 EDID to "B". It should be set to "A". If you're either on HDMI1 or your HDMI2 EDID is set to "A" already, then your issue is in the AVR side or in the cable(s).
Thank you Sir.

I circled back to my Denon AVR-X4500H and ran through all the Video Settings.

I found an obscure Video Setting Set to ON, but unsure of it's Function I Selected it and merely Toggled from ON>OFF>ON.

The JVC NX7 immediately Switched from 1080P to 2160P.

Weird.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
If you project a pure white image and stand right next to your screen, you should be able to see the 4k pixel grid. If you cant, perhaps tape a piece of printer paper on the screen (some screen textures make it hard to see the grid). Then adjust your focus with the pixel grid. You can get it pretty sharp. That's how I fine tune focus on these 4K projectors. My stewart screen shows pixel grid as sharp as a piece of paper. The older screen I had didnt. Thats why I mention screen and paper.
How can I project a Pure White Picture?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry but you are partly wrong.
It doesn't matter where the device is inserted. If it is intended to be used to shield the input from whatever the active cable is doing to the 5V it can be plugged into a 5 volt supply without problem. If you don't plug it into a 5 volt supply it might even load the hdmi source even further.
It absolutely does, because the device itself unconditionally supplies +5V signal to pin 18 of the female output HDMI port. If you connect that port to an HDMI source that also supplies +5V power, the reverse current may damage the source's HDMI board; thus, the HDMI standard requires protection against two (power) sources connected together.

Proof is simple. A passive hdmi cable just connects the 5V with a copper wire between the connectors. It doesn't matter at which end the device is inserted as long as the hdmi input gets a stable 5V.
This example doesn't prove anything. A passive HDMI cable only supplies power from the source to the display, it does not introduce any power on its own.

Worst case scenario:
Dodgy active cable overloads the source 5v supply by drawing too much current. Insert the device to boost the current capacity.
Dodgy active cable has dodgy circuitry intended to negate voltage drop across the cable that causes overvoltage at the hdmi input. Insert device to isolate input and supply a stabilized 5V.
In that scenario you need two. :)
If you insert the device at the display end, it does not supply any voltage out of its male input port per the manufacturer. It simply isolates it from the female output port, and this is a physical disconnect which does not require any active power injection.

You may be thinking that one can insert this device in the correct direction (i.e. input to source and output to display), but that would require additional male/female adapters on each end. Judging by how a JVC projector actually does not need the +5V supply on its HDMI port for proper operation. this seems like a completely unnecessary hassle.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had forgotten that there was a time when there were only 3 lens memories. I never had one of those. I'm glad that JVC retained those individual memory IR commands even though they haven't been on the remotes for years.

The present manual can be confusing, but the items included in Installation Mode (settings memory) are listed at the top of page 53.
Has it really been that long?

I had them on my X9500 remote and that was 'just' 3 years ago. I wonder if there are IR commands for the other saved lens memories.... Later models like the x9900 didn't have the dedicated remote buttons?

I do miss the rubber raised texture and agree it's a better remote. This one looks nicer but it's very flat and unpleasant to use.

Same with the texture and finish of the N series. Fantastic machines and nice that they avoided a gloss finish, but why oh why is the finish so rough?

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
It absolutely does, because the device itself unconditionally supplies +5V signal to pin 18 of the female output HDMI port. If you connect that port to an HDMI source that also supplies +5V power, the reverse current may damage the source's HDMI board; thus, the HDMI standard requires protection against two (power) sources connected together.

This example doesn't prove anything. A passive HDMI cable only supplies power from the source to the display, it does not introduce any power on its own.

If you insert the device at the display end, it does not supply any voltage out of its male input port per the manufacturer. It simply isolates it from the female output port, and this is a physical disconnect which does not require any active power injection.

You may be thinking that one can insert this device in the correct direction (i.e. input to source and output to display), but that would require additional male/female adapters on each end. Judging by how a JVC projector actually does not need the +5V supply on its HDMI port for proper operation. this seems like a completely unnecessary hassle.

Isolation is both ways no matter at what cable end you put the device. If the receiving end of the active cable loads the jvc's 5 Volt the device protects the jvc input from that load and provides power to the cables circuit.
Since as per spec the hdmi ports require protection against connecting 5V sources the reverse current you mentioned isn't going to harm.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I tried attaching the C2G 42236 HDMI Voltage Inserter both with and without the USB connected on the projector side and it was a no-go. Placing it at the Radiance source side with USB connected works.
JVC needs the 5V from the source otherwise the edid handshake will not be negotiated when the projector is off.

Did you try powering on the projector first end then the Radiance?

28181 - 28200 of 29364 Posts