AVS Forum banner

28401 - 28420 of 29236 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
What is your ATV Video setting? Did you double-check the source HDR? 4K can still be SDR. Have you manually switched to the SDR picture mode to see if it looks “normal”?

If the ATV video setting is HDR and you watch HdR source, it would make no difference whether Match Range is on or off.

Ahh I c ur point. Thank you!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,378 Posts
I’m thinking about selling my NX5 and picking up an NX7. Very tempting
What is your room like? How light controlled? What screen?

·
Registered
515 Posts
What, no mini golf or putt putt? Used to always take the kids for that on vacation. :)
I do love mini golf but I'll still take a movie day over that. It's even easier if it's raining that day! haha

Reactions: Mike Garrett

·
Vendor
26,611 Posts
Any rumors about JVC tweaking the projectors and coming out with new models later in the year? My guess, with a slowdown in the economy, they will likely keep things as is.
All speculation at this point, I would agree no changes, but we will know in September at CEDIA if there is one this year.......

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
All speculation at this point, I would agree no changes, but we will know in September at CEDIA if there is one this year.......
Can’t imagine there would be a CEDIA CONVENTION, perhaps virtual, if possible...

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Can’t imagine there would be a CEDIA CONVENTION, perhaps virtual, if possible...
FYI. CEDIA 2020 has been cancelled.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

·
Registered
2,802 Posts

·
Registered
7,588 Posts
There will be a virtual expo and there could be a few announcements.

The CEDIA Expo virtual experience will launch in September and offer everything you need to take your residential tech business to the next level. From session panels surrounding hot topics to keynotes, product discovery, networking and an interactive expo hall.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Sorry about that. Yes. I do have that plate. There is a picture in my original post. Thanks...working on it now.
PULSAR, did you finally get the NX7 mounted?

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Reactions: skylarlove1999

·
Registered
115 Posts
PULSAR, did you finally get the NX7 mounted?

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
yes and thank you...thanks to everyone for there input...running like a champ!

Attachments

·
Registered
28,745 Posts
yes and thank you...thanks to everyone for there input...running like a champ!
That supply vent right behind the projector is fine for summer time air conditioning, but don't let it blow hot air on the projector in the winter. Just close it off.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
That supply vent right behind the projector is fine for summer time air conditioning, but don't let it blow hot air on the projector in the winter. Just close it off.
Yes I was thinking about that as well, perhaps he can put a vent deflector on it, to keep away dust and heat.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

·
Registered
28,745 Posts
Yes I was thinking about that as well, perhaps he can put a vent deflector on it, to keep away dust and heat.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
Might as well shut it in the winter. He will not need the heat, the projector will take care of that. :)

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Might as well shut it in the winter. He will not need the heat, the projector will take care of that. :)
That’s what I do I in the winter, however, my vent is in the front of the HT room.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
So, I have almost 400 hours on the NX7, and our love grows by the day lol.

I binged all the MCU movies, when I got to Infinity War the detail really went to another level. Sure enough it’s the first with a true 4K DI. A dozen movies later I can consistently tell when I’m look at a 2K DI or something higher... like I wasn’t enough of a snob to begin with.

That being said, Terminator 2 is most perplexing. Says it’s a true 4K DI, and it looks true. The reviews everywhere say it’s a wax fest(DNR).. yes the color timing has been drastically changed to the point it’s arguably revisionist, and most of the grain has somehow been eliminated. However I can’t detect any actual DNR or loss of detail anywhere, and I’m very familiar with it.

Am I nuts or are the reviews wrong?

·
Semi-Advanced Member
562 Posts
I'm having a 127" 16x9 StudioTek 130 G4 installed tomorrow to mate with my NX7 (1000 hours on lamp) & Lumagen Radiance Pro; approximately 15' throw. This is replacing a 110" 16x9 Firehawk 1.25 gain screen from 2007. I'm really looking forward to seeing what kind of difference I'll notice going from gray to white screen material, especially how the G4's surface will display 4K and 3D content. The technician at Stewart indicated that I shouldn't perceive any substantial loss of apparent brightness, despite approximately 25% greater screen area, due to the slight increase in screen gain and much more appropriate G4 coating. Anyone have comments?
I have the same setup with a 141" 130 G4. 18' throw. Fantastic picture. You will be pleased.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts

I binged all the MCU movies, when I got to Infinity War the detail really went to another level. Sure enough it’s the first with a true 4K DI. A dozen movies later I can consistently tell when I’m look at a 2K DI or something higher... like I wasn’t enough of a snob to begin with.

That being said, Terminator 2 is most perplexing. Says it’s a true 4K DI, and it looks true. The reviews everywhere say it’s a wax fest(DNR).. yes the color timing has been drastically changed to the point it’s arguably revisionist, and most of the grain has somehow been eliminated. However I can’t detect any actual DNR or loss of detail anywhere, and I’m very familiar with it.

I just watched it the other night, and at times the grain reduction was quite noticeable, and somewhat distracting. I face similar issues when editing DSLR still photos that were shot at higher ISO, which results in increased grain and noise. There are tools to reduce the noise, but these have to be used conservatively. Used too much, and sure the noise is gone, but the results have a 'plastic' or 'waxy' appearance, with loss of detail.

My impression is that noise reduction was used a bit too much at times, with some faces having that 'waxy' kind of appearance in places. But the detail was quite crisp at other times, with no ill effect from the overall noise reduction. I think that when the image in question is a bit out of focus in the original, the noise would be more evident, and when reduced, produces that waxy quality. But when the focus is crisp, the detail was really outstanding. I recall two people talking in one scene, one in crisp focus, with excellent detail, and no indication of noise reduction, while the other person, who was somewhat out of the plane of focus, showed that waxy appearance.

Reactions: DavidHir

·
Registered
1,410 Posts

I thought T2 looked great - likely have watched several hundred 4k's by now - great viewing for sure - saying that most blu-rays look spectacular as well - N7 pretty sweet unit

28401 - 28420 of 29236 Posts