AVS Forum banner

28501 - 28520 of 29577 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,212 Posts
Sure. Its definetly the 4k disc as the set doesn't have blu rays in them. As well the hdr optimizer on my panasonic 420 or whatever is set off as I find the DTM on the JVC is better suited.

Doesn't seem to be a problem with other discs and the projector automatically goes to frame adept mode as it does for other HDR content.

Thanks though.

It’s the Panasonic players it has issues with that disc. For some reason it doesn’t flag the HDR for that movie. I’ve tried the 820,9000 and 420 all the same. Throw it in my Sony X700 and X800 players no issue at all.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Guys I got the planet earth 2 4k UHD disc and it looks wonderful. I hit the info button on my nx7 remote and it says the HDR setting is only SDR? It looks like its running properly on the frame adept mode but wondering why the hdr data is only coming in on SDR? Anyone else getting this?

I tried searching the forum but couldn't find any results.
I think the 420 also has HDR to SDR conversion? Make sure that is turned off.

Are other 4K HDR movies actually output as HDR? Checking that would determine if it's the disc or the player.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,450 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,450 Posts

·
Registered
7,600 Posts
I was just over my neighbors house in our complex and he has a NX7 which I helped to set up. We just watched Hamilton and the picture quality is amazing. Great blacks, shadows and contrast with Frame Adapt HDR. My friend could not believe how good it looked. He also has an Atmos setup and the sound is also great. They did a fantastic job with it. He was using an Apple tV for streaming and the only glitch at first was a HDMI handshake with the Apple tv at startup. He switched inputs on his receiver and then went back to the Apple tv and everything worked. I forgot what order he turned things on at the start.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I was just over my neighbors house in our complex and he has a NX7 which I helped to set up. We just watched Hamilton and the picture quality is amazing. Great blacks, shadows and contrast with Frame Adapt HDR. My friend could not believe how good it looked. He also has an Atmos setup and the sound is also great. They did a fantastic job with it. He was using an Apple tV for streaming and the only glitch at first was a HDMI handshake with the Apple tv at startup. He switched inputs on his receiver and then went back to the Apple tv and everything worked. I forgot what order he turned things on at the start.
HDMI glitches are common problem with Home Theater today. I wish the motion picture industry would do us all a favor and remove copyright protection. It doesn't stop those playing illegal copies and all it does is make honest customers suffer with various issues.

Does anyone remember the good ole days when you could just plug in an RCA cable and it actually provided a bullet proof connection?

·
Registered
7,600 Posts
HDMI glitches are common problem with Home Theater today. I wish the motion picture industry would do us all a favor and remove copyright protection. It doesn't stop those playing illegal copies and all it does is make honest customers suffer with various issues.

Does anyone remember the good ole days when you could just plug in an RCA cable and it actually provided a bullet proof connection?
Can't agree more. HDMI problems have been an issue from day one. The need for DRM copyright protection is a joke now since it is broken as soon as some new hacker figures out how to break it.
The only ones who suffer are the honest customers who have to deal with all of these issues. I have gotten very good at solving HDMI issues but there is really no reason for us to still put up with this.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I see. Those seem to be way more common than anyone likes to admit.
I finally got mine repaired by JVC as I had the same stripes problem. It took about 2 months with all the COVID delays and slow shipping but at least now it seems to be working properly. They changed out the main board and processor. Now I am at firmware 3.11 which isn't even available yet. I don't know what the difference is between 3.11 and 3.10. As far as I can tell it must just be a few minor bug fixes.

Now I need to rerun autocal as I am sure all my previous modifications were lost with the board change. My lamp was also reset. I think I had around 1500 hours on it now I have 2 hours. Still looks good and bright. I should easily get another 500 hours before I need to swap out the bulb.

·
Registered
7,600 Posts
I finally got mine repaired by JVC as I had the same stripes problem. It took about 2 months with all the COVID delays and slow shipping but at least now it seems to be working properly. They changed out the main board and processor. Now I am at firmware 3.11 which isn't even available yet. I don't know what the difference is between 3.11 and 3.10. As far as I can tell it must just be a few minor bug fixes.

Now I need to rerun autocal as I am sure all my previous modifications were lost with the board change. My lamp was also reset. I think I had around 1500 hours on it now I have 2 hours. Still looks good and bright. I should easily get another 500 hours before I need to swap out the bulb.
You probably received a new lamp as a bonus. They often replace the lamp when repairs are made.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
You probably received a new lamp as a bonus. They often replace the lamp when repairs are made.
No, I am sure the bulb isn't new. When it was new, I could set the iris at -11 or so with the color filter on and the image luminance would be about right. Now I have the Iris at -4 with the color filter on and the image luminance is OK but slightly weaker. So it definitely isn't new and I think it is rare that JVC includes a new bulb with a repair. The only time I could see that happening is if the repair was related to a bulb issue.

·
Registered
7,600 Posts
No, I am sure the bulb isn't new. When it was new, I could set the iris at -11 or so with the color filter on and the image luminance would be about right. Now I have the Iris at -4 with the color filter on and the image luminance is OK but slightly weaker. So it definitely isn't new and I think it is rare that JVC includes a new bulb with a repair. The only time I could see that happening is if the repair was related to a bulb issue.
There are variations even with new lamps. I am also wondering if they did a factory reset on everything. They usually never reset the lamp unless it is changed. On the repair slip does it state what was done?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
There are variations even with new lamps. I am also wondering if they did a factory reset on everything. They usually never reset the lamp unless it is changed. On the repair slip does it state what was done?

If they swapped out the whole board wouldn’t that contain the memory chip that stores the lamp hour counter, and so it would be reset.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm surprised JVC don't give you a record of the hours, or better yet transfer the total lamp hours when replacing the board.

·
aka jfinnie
4,242 Posts
If they swapped out the whole board wouldn’t that contain the memory chip that stores the lamp hour counter, and so it would be reset.
There are tools that are supposed to be used to move the data between boards. This is important because there is panel specific config in the EEPROM / flash.
Going way back as far as the X3 there is a process in the service manual called "4.4.1 LAMP TIME and COLOR TEMPERATURE DATA BACKUP"

28501 - 28520 of 29577 Posts