AVS Forum banner

28521 - 28540 of 31222 Posts

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
There are tools that are supposed to be used to move the data between boards. This is important because there is panel specific config in the EEPROM / flash.
Going way back as far as the X3 there is a process in the service manual called "4.4.1 LAMP TIME and COLOR TEMPERATURE DATA BACKUP"
I don't know but all I can tell you is that they replaced the main board and processor. The lamp isn't new because it isn't bright enough to be new. It seems to me that it is the same lamp that was in it when I sent it in for repair. At least it seems very similar in performance. I had 1500 hours on the lamp. When I received the repaired unit back the lamp said 1 hour. I have since watched a couple of hours.

I asked Mike Garrett about the lamp and he said that he doubted JVC put a new lamp in it and I believe him as it performs like my old lamp of 1500 hours.

Hopefully whatever was in the EEPROM flash is not important enough to effect anything as the projector seems to be performing fine.

I sure as hell don't want to send it in again for an EEPROM flash. It took two months of waiting as it was.

I will run autocal gamma on the projector tonight and see how the 2.2 gamma log looks. I had a little gamma droop that I corrected the last time I ran autocal. If the new main board and processor were replaced I would assume the autocal I ran in the past would be gone and the droop would be back. If it tracks 2.2 perfectly then JVC must have reloaded the previous parameters but apparently forgot to set the timer back on the bulb.

·
aka jfinnie
4,343 Posts
I don't know but all I can tell you is that they replaced the main board and processor. The lamp isn't new because it isn't bright enough to be new. It seems to me that it is the same lamp that was in it when I sent it in for repair. At least it seems very similar in performance. I had 1500 hours on the lamp. When I received the repaired unit back the lamp said 1 hour. I have since watched a couple of hours.

I asked Mike Garrett about the lamp and he said that he doubted JVC put a new lamp in it and I believe him as it performs like my old lamp of 1500 hours.

Hopefully whatever was in the EEPROM flash is not important enough to effect anything as the projector seems to be performing fine.

I sure as hell don't want to send it in again for an EEPROM flash. It took two months of waiting as it was.

I will run autocal gamma on the projector tonight and see how the 2.2 gamma log looks. I had a little gamma droop that I corrected the last time I ran autocal. If the new main board and processor were replaced I would assume the autocal I ran in the past would be gone and the droop would be back. If it tracks 2.2 perfectly then JVC must have reloaded the previous parameters but apparently forgot to set the timer back on the bulb.
I guess it is possible that the lamp timers are no longer transferred by the process used. Only someone intimate with repairs on the current product will know that. The info i have is for previous model ranges.

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
If it tracks 2.2 perfectly then JVC must have reloaded the previous parameters but apparently forgot to set the timer back on the bulb.
More likely that they did the factory calibration (autocal or equivalent).

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
More likely that they did the factory calibration (autocal or equivalent).
Could be but I am not sure that anything was done as the image appears to have slightly less contrast than I remember. I am betting that there is gamma droop that needs to be corrected as it looks more like the image did before I ran autocal. I'll find out tonight.

I am just glad I have my projector back, repaired and in one piece. The last time I sent in a projector to JVC it was returned by UPS in a destroyed box and the projector acted like it had taken about a 10 foot drop. Everything was knocked out of whack. JVC then did an exchange for a new unit.

This current unit is pretty good. Not bad for bright corners, very accurate focus edge to edge, low iris noise, good convergence, etc. It does have some magenta to green color grading across the screen when the iris is set between -10 to -15 but it is gone by iris setting -3. However, the color grading isn't nearly as bad as several other of the units I have owned. I think it must be some sort of design flaw in the dual iris units. No projector is perfect but this one is pretty dang good and I am glad it is back.

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
I finally got mine repaired by JVC as I had the same stripes problem. It took about 2 months with all the COVID delays and slow shipping but at least now it seems to be working properly. They changed out the main board and processor. Now I am at firmware 3.11 which isn't even available yet. I don't know what the difference is between 3.11 and 3.10. As far as I can tell it must just be a few minor bug fixes.

Now I need to rerun autocal as I am sure all my previous modifications were lost with the board change. My lamp was also reset. I think I had around 1500 hours on it now I have 2 hours. Still looks good and bright. I should easily get another 500 hours before I need to swap out the bulb.

Oh god, this makes me very nervous.... I was having striped issues before I boxed up my NX5 last fall before the 3.10 update(thought fixed this issue) & just finished my theater room. What are the chances that issue still there?

Attachments

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,808 Posts
HDMI glitches are common problem with Home Theater today. I wish the motion picture industry would do us all a favor and remove copyright protection. It doesn't stop those playing illegal copies and all it does is make honest customers suffer with various issues.

Does anyone remember the good ole days when you could just plug in an RCA cable and it actually provided a bullet proof connection?
What makes you think that the glitches have anything to do with copyright protection or DRM? There's a lot more going on with HDMI handshaking than HDCP and most the problems with HDMI are not related to HDCP or any DRM.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,808 Posts
Oh god, this makes me very nervous.... I was having striped issues before I boxed up my NX5 last fall before the 3.10 update(thought fixed this issue) & just finished my theater room. What are the chances that issue still there?
IMO, very high.

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
IMO, very high.

So is this issue fixed or JVC still looking for a solution? Hate to send my projector in with only 40hrs to get a refurb unit.

·
Registered
8,808 Posts
So is this issue fixed or JVC still looking for a solution? Hate to send my projector in with only 40hrs to get a refurb unit.
Seems like a lot of people having this problem still so I would be surprised if it's considered fixed. It does seem to be an issue of defect rather than of poor design. Being in USA don't you qualify for advanced exchange?

·
Registered
29,406 Posts
I finally got mine repaired by JVC as I had the same stripes problem. It took about 2 months with all the COVID delays and slow shipping but at least now it seems to be working properly. They changed out the main board and processor. Now I am at firmware 3.11 which isn't even available yet. I don't know what the difference is between 3.11 and 3.10. As far as I can tell it must just be a few minor bug fixes.

Now I need to rerun autocal as I am sure all my previous modifications were lost with the board change. My lamp was also reset. I think I had around 1500 hours on it now I have 2 hours. Still looks good and bright. I should easily get another 500 hours before I need to swap out the bulb.
Lamp was not reset. Info just was not ported over to the new board. Yes 3.11 is just for very minor bug fixes.

·
Registered
29,406 Posts
I guess it is possible that the lamp timers are no longer transferred by the process used. Only someone intimate with repairs on the current product will know that. The info i have is for previous model ranges.
JVC, Sony, Epson and everybody else knows how to switch out boards in their products. :)
The user data on the lamp does not get ported over.

·
Registered
29,406 Posts
Has to do with a 3rd party part out of spec. If it is within tolerance, firmware 3.1 fixes it. It it is out of tolerance, 3.1 can't fix it and needs to be exchanged.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Has to do with a 3rd party part out of spec. If it is within tolerance, firmware 3.1 fixes it. It it is out of tolerance, 3.1 can't fix it and needs to be exchanged.
Was this the "issue" that caused the new series of PJs to be delayed from the initial release dates?

·
Registered
8,808 Posts
Do newer units also have this out of spec part or was it resolved?
Plenty of people are still having this issue on recently manufactured projectors. So I'd say there's no part that's been replaced.

·
Vendor
27,137 Posts
HDMI glitches are common problem with Home Theater today. I wish the motion picture industry would do us all a favor and remove copyright protection. It doesn't stop those playing illegal copies and all it does is make honest customers suffer with various issues.

Does anyone remember the good ole days when you could just plug in an RCA cable and it actually provided a bullet proof connection?
You are right about the HDMI glitches, RCA cables where nice but they can not transfer modern time info :(

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
I had the classic many thin lined bars once or twice before the 3.1 firmware last year, but haven't seen that since. However, I did get these bars twice in the space of a couple of days a few weeks ago - but not seen since. Anyone seen this variation before?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
I had the classic many thin lined bars once or twice before the 3.1 firmware last year, but haven't seen that since. However, I did get these bars twice in the space of a couple of days a few weeks ago - but not seen since. Anyone seen this variation before?
Your projector has been hacked by Poland.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
It is the same issue. When I had my issues I would get all kinds of different patterns and all different colors. Many times the screen would just be all black or all pink. I don't think the pattern or colors matter at all. If you are seeing this then you have a problem.

28521 - 28540 of 31222 Posts