AVS Forum banner

28581 - 28600 of 31872 Posts

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
I previously purchased a used / refurbished NX-5 on firmware 3.1 from Ebay that had intermittent vertical line issues that others have described. It happened at least 3-4 times in the first few weeks of ownership. I tried switching inputs and HDMI cables which did not resolve the issue. The only way to temporary fix the issue was to reboot the projector. I called JVC and was told the unit was defective and needed servicing, but since I was not the original purchaser and the warranty would not transfer over to me, I returned the projector to the seller without much issue. The first two pictures are from the NX-5

I replaced the NX-5 with a new RS-2000 on firmware 3.1 which I have had for about 6 months. I have been getting an intermittent single solid color vertical line defect. Its not as bad as the NX-5 issue, but it has happened at least 3-4 times already. I would toggle different inputs, but again the only way the fix the issue would be to reboot the projector. I have yet to contact my dealer / JVC, but I due think there is an issue that needs to be fixed. I don't want to go without a projector to get it serviced, but I think I will eventually need to get this addressed before warranty is over. The last 3 pictures are from the RS-2000. You may need to zoom in the see the solid blue vertical line which I marked with two arrows.

I don't know if it bad luck or not, but this is 2 out of 2 JVC projectors with similar defects.
I'd put in a warranty claim. That sounds like a defective panel.

·
Registered
7,690 Posts
I previously purchased a used / refurbished NX-5 on firmware 3.1 from Ebay that had intermittent vertical line issues that others have described. It happened at least 3-4 times in the first few weeks of ownership. I tried switching inputs and HDMI cables which did not resolve the issue. The only way to temporary fix the issue was to reboot the projector. I called JVC and was told the unit was defective and needed servicing, but since I was not the original purchaser and the warranty would not transfer over to me, I returned the projector to the seller without much issue. The first two pictures are from the NX-5

I replaced the NX-5 with a new RS-2000 on firmware 3.1 which I have had for about 6 months. I have been getting an intermittent single solid color vertical line defect. Its not as bad as the NX-5 issue, but it has happened at least 3-4 times already. I would toggle different inputs, but again the only way the fix the issue would be to reboot the projector. I have yet to contact my dealer / JVC, but I due think there is an issue that needs to be fixed. I don't want to go without a projector to get it serviced, but I think I will eventually need to get this addressed before warranty is over. The last 3 pictures are from the RS-2000. You may need to zoom in the see the solid blue vertical line which I marked with two arrows.

I don't know if it bad luck or not, but this is 2 out of 2 JVC projectors with similar defects.
It sounds like the projector has to be fixed or replaced.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts

This isn't the same defect. This appears to be something else. If you had the HDMI issue it would not have an image on the screen and the display would be obscured with multi colored lines and the display would lock up. One single line or a few vertical lines over an image is something else.

If you are in the US, I would arrange for an exchange. If you purchased new from an authorized dealer this shouldn't be a problem. JVC will send you a new projector and you return the problem projector. No need to go without projector.

JVC is very good about exchanges in the US.

·
Registered
29,691 Posts

That is not the same issue. I doubt it has anything to do with the HDMI cable or source, but will ask, what cable and source? :)

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
This isn't the same defect. This appears to be something else. If you had the HDMI issue it would not have an image on the screen and the display would be obscured with multi colored lines and the display would lock up. One single line or a few vertical lines over an image is something else.

If you are in the US, I would arrange for an exchange. If you purchased new from an authorized dealer this shouldn't be a problem. JVC will send you a new projector and you return the problem projector. No need to go without projector.

JVC is very good about exchanges in the US.
I’m not suggesting this is the case here but I wonder if any of these occurrences are configuration related...that is to say there are many technologies in the chain, all with different specs, how do we always know it’s the projector board?

Reactions: Aztar35

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
That is not the same issue. I doubt it has anything to do with the HDMI cable or source, but will ask, what cable and source? :)
Possibly a blue pixel adjust issue?

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

·
Registered
40 Posts
Cable: 50ft, BIFALE Fiber optic HDMI 2.1 Cable.

Source: All three sources show the same error if I toggle through the different sources. My Receiver is the Monoprice HTP-1 if you are interested. My sources are HTPC via Nvidia 2080ti card, TiVo mini, and Oppo 203 UHD player.

I don't have another 50ft cable to try another cable unfortunately.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Cable: 50ft, BIFALE Fiber optic HDMI 2.1 Cable.

Source: All three sources show the same error if I toggle through the different sources. My Receiver is the Monoprice HTP-1 if you are interested. My sources are HTPC via Nvidia 2080ti card, TiVo mini, and Oppo 203 UHD player.

I don't have another 50ft cable to try another cable unfortunately.
Have you tried going directly from the disc spinner into the projector?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I purchased my RS2000 last year and only have maybe 50 hrs on it. I’m only home 3 months out of the year. I guess I need to put some hours on it when I get home to make sure I don’t have any of these lines I’ve been seeing in this forum. I hate to discover this after my warranty expires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I have found a good deal on a slightly used RS2000 with low hours but very hesitant to pull the trigger on it with the popularity of these issues.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I have found a good deal on a slightly used RS2000 with low hours but very hesitant to pull the trigger on it with the popularity of these issues.
I went from an RS500 to NX7 (RS2000) and there's absolutely no comparison, especially considering the presence of DTM versus static tone mapping (I don't believe that your signature indicates that you own an external renderer). My NX7 was one of the first units installed in the USA (Jan, 2019) and has been rock solid for over 1100 hours. Just make sure that the warranty is valid and transferable if you make the purchase.

·
Registered
29,691 Posts
That is what I was going to ask. He needs to move the Oppo 203 close to the projector and use a short 6' HDMI cable that came with the Oppo.

·
Registered
40 Posts

I previously had the projector in another room at which time a used a different shorter HDMI cable and I had the aberrant vertical line issue. So I doubt its the cable. Lastly when the vertical line would appear, I would reboot the projector, but leave the receiver powered on and the issue would resolve which leads me to believe its not the receiver causing the issue, but I could be wrong.

I have less than 500 hours on my projector, so the issue is very infrequent, but I'm concerned it may get worse with time and lead to costly repairs when it out of warranty. I will try and contact JVC next week and see what they suggest.

If or when it happens again, maybe I will try and disconnect the HDMI cable and see if the issue persists

·
Registered
40 Posts

Just be aware warranty is not likely to be transferable. Any warranty claims would need to be made be the original purchaser, but the repaired projector can be shipped to a different address rather than the original address at time of purchase. At least this was my understanding when speaking to JVC about a warranty claim in the past. It's unfortunate JVC's warranty terms are this way, very anti consumer if you ask me for such a premium product.

Reactions: WOKNROX

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I went from an RS500 to NX7 (RS2000) and there's absolutely no comparison, especially considering the presence of DTM versus static tone mapping (I don't believe that your signature indicates that you own an external renderer). My NX7 was one of the first units installed in the USA (Jan, 2019) and has been rock solid for over 1100 hours. Just make sure that the warranty is valid and transferable if you make the purchase.
I'm using the Panasonic ub820 for tone mapping.
I do have the BT2020 installed and a custom curve.
All other sources are sent through the OPPO-203.

I just sold my 620 to get a 2000 or 3000 but kinda rethinking things a bit now. Might just grab the 540 at it's new lower pricing and ride things out a couple more generations.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm using the Panasonic ub820 for tone mapping.
I do have the BT2020 installed and a custom curve.
All other sources are sent through the OPPO-203.

I just sold my 620 to get a 2000 or 3000 but kinda rethinking things a bit now. Might just grab the 540 at it's new lower pricing and ride things out a couple more generations.

Just get the 2000 and then ride it out a few generations.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,997 Posts

SO you're 2 out of 2. I bet tons of people just reboot the projector and never report the issue. I still think this issue is massively bigger than people think. Anyways, why not contact your dealer and ask for an advanced exchange warranty?

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,997 Posts
Just be aware warranty is not likely to be transferable. Any warranty claims would need to be made be the original purchaser, but the repaired projector can be shipped to a different address rather than the original address at time of purchase. At least this was my understanding when speaking to JVC about a warranty claim in the past. It's unfortunate JVC's warranty terms are this way, very anti consumer if you ask me for such a premium product.
Knowing all this, it should be easy enough to just make sure you get a copy of the receipt from any original owner. Then if you need to get warranty just say you're "whatever the guy's name is". And go from there. I don't see this being a problem at all.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I bet tons of people just reboot the projector and never report the issue. I still think this issue is massively bigger than people think.
I dunno, to me an item displaying a bad image like the stripes and simply rebooting it wouldn't make me any more easy about what had happened on such an expensive item. Maybe that's just me and most would ignore it, but I imagine most would be concerned and at least contact their dealer if not JVC.

Again though, I don't know. Dealers would know quite well, calibrators too I imagine as they would be asked about stripes by a customer when they come to calibrate in a couple hundred hours, no doubt. We don't hear much from that side...

Is this issue more prevalent on the NX5 than the 7/9?

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
SO you're 2 out of 2. I bet tons of people just reboot the projector and never report the issue. I still think this issue is massively bigger than people think admit. Anyways, why not contact your dealer and ask for an advanced exchange warranty?
I hope you don't mind if I correct that for you.... ;)

Reactions: markmon1 and woofer
28581 - 28600 of 31872 Posts