AVS Forum banner

28601 - 28620 of 31872 Posts

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,997 Posts
I previously purchased a used / refurbished NX-5 on firmware 3.1 from Ebay that had intermittent vertical line issues that others have described. It happened at least 3-4 times in the first few weeks of ownership. I tried switching inputs and HDMI cables which did not resolve the issue. The only way to temporary fix the issue was to reboot the projector. I called JVC and was told the unit was defective and needed servicing, but since I was not the original purchaser and the warranty would not transfer over to me, I returned the projector to the seller without much issue. The first two pictures are from the NX-5

I replaced the NX-5 with a new RS-2000 on firmware 3.1 which I have had for about 6 months. I have been getting an intermittent single solid color vertical line defect. Its not as bad as the NX-5 issue, but it has happened at least 3-4 times already. I would toggle different inputs, but again the only way the fix the issue would be to reboot the projector. I have yet to contact my dealer / JVC, but I due think there is an issue that needs to be fixed. I don't want to go without a projector to get it serviced, but I think I will eventually need to get this addressed before warranty is over. The last 3 pictures are from the RS-2000. You may need to zoom in the see the solid blue vertical line which I marked with two arrows.

I don't know if it bad luck or not, but this is 2 out of 2 JVC projectors with similar defects.
That small, single blue line - this is the first I've seen that reported. Does the line always show up in the exact same spot? Is it easy to reproduce?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I went from an RS500 to NX7 (RS2000) and there's absolutely no comparison, especially considering the presence of DTM versus static tone mapping (I don't believe that your signature indicates that you own an external renderer). My NX7 was one of the first units installed in the USA (Jan, 2019) and has been rock solid for over 1100 hours. Just make sure that the warranty is valid and transferable if you make the purchase.
How the contrast on the 2000 compared 500..?
Did you notice much of a difference.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I'm using the Panasonic ub820 for tone mapping.
I do have the BT2020 installed and a custom curve.
All other sources are sent through the OPPO-203.

I just sold my 620 to get a 2000 or 3000 but kinda rethinking things a bit now. Might just grab the 540 at it's new lower pricing and ride things out a couple more generations.
Ever visit a specific car model forum? You'd never buy that model. People are much more apt to report issues than posting: "working great, love it". Mike Garrett posted a couple pages back an estimate of failures from actual data. It's low.

I've owned the RS520, seen the 540 and a 620. The NX7 is just a better overall projector. You're cheating yourself out of a couple years of the best 4K projection experience I've seen under $10k.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
How the contrast on the 2000 compared 500..?
Did you notice much of a difference.
Honestly coming from an RS520 you'll notice it most on SD material if you used the DI on the RS5xx. The older model DI is much more aggressive about closing down. The upside is that fade to black is deeper. The downside is there is visible pumping. The DI on the NX7 is practically invisible, but doesn't get as dark. My personal opinion on it is that I prefer the NX7. Yes I notice that the black floor isn't quite as deep, but I never see the iris in operation like I did on the RS520.

·
Registered
29,691 Posts
I dunno, to me an item displaying a bad image like the stripes and simply rebooting it wouldn't make me any more easy about what had happened on such an expensive item. Maybe that's just me and most would ignore it, but I imagine most would be concerned and at least contact their dealer if not JVC.

Again though, I don't know. Dealers would know quite well, calibrators too I imagine as they would be asked about stripes by a customer when they come to calibrate in a couple hundred hours, no doubt. We don't hear much from that side...

Is this issue more prevalent on the NX5 than the 7/9?
I agree, I doubt many are just ignoring it. It would be like someone buying a new car and every now and then, when you started the car it would idle real rough, but if you turned it off and started it again, it would idle smooth. I can't imagine anyone putting up with that with a new car, anymore than I can imagine anyone putting up with a line or stripes on the screen on a new projector.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Honestly coming from an RS520 you'll notice it most on SD material if you used the DI on the RS5xx. The older model DI is much more aggressive about closing down. The upside is that fade to black is deeper. The downside is there is visible pumping. The DI on the NX7 is practically invisible, but doesn't get as dark. My personal opinion on it is that I prefer the NX7. Yes I notice that the black floor isn't quite as deep, but I never see the iris in operation like I did on the RS520.
People were reporting text-yellowing artifacts and blooming; to your knowledge, is that still the case with the NX7 dynamic iris in use?

·
Registered
29,691 Posts
Ever visit a specific car model forum? You'd never buy that model. People are much more apt to report issues than posting: "working great, love it". Mike Garrett posted a couple pages back an estimate of failures from actual data. It's low.

I've owned the RS520, seen the 540 and a 620. The NX7 is just a better overall projector. You're cheating yourself out of a couple years of the best 4K projection experience I've seen under $10k.
Yep, it is like that with most things you buy. If you read the TV threads, there are complaints on performance or lack of features on every single model. Enough so that it would make you think twice about buying any TV. If an item has high interest to a group of people, enough so, that they post about it, it will have complaints.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
People were reporting text-yellowing artifacts and blooming; to your knowledge, is that still the case with the NX7 dynamic iris in use?
Some people see it and are bothered by it and some don't. It was actually present on some of the previous e-shift models, we just didn't notice.

Personally I've ran with the iris on from day one (April of '19) and can only think of a few instances I thought I might have seen color shift on credits. No blooming. I re-posted the picture on here from the opera scene (in motion not paused) from The Greatest Showman and see zero blooming where others report it. No idea what is different.

Photo was taken with a Google Pixel 3XL, high lamp, aperture -3, auto 2, color filter on.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Some people see it and are bothered by it and some don't. it was actually present on some of the previous e-shift models, we just didn't notice.

Personally I've ran with the iris on from day one (April of '19) and can only think of a few instances I thought I might have seen color shift on credits. No blooming. I posted pictures on here from the opera scene (in motion not paused) from The Greatest Showman and see zero blooming where others report it. No idea what is different.
Similar here too. Could it be the set up though? ... or less sensitivity (maybe even a beauty is in the eye of the beholder sort of thing), or do you think there's some unit-to-unit variance with this current series as it relates to DI operation?

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Similar here too. Could it be the set up though? ... or less sensitivity (maybe even a beauty is in the eye of the beholder sort of thing), or do you think there's some unit-to-unit variance with this current series as it relates to DI operation?
I think it's more the individual (though uncalibrated variance could be at play too). In a forum full of enthusiasts no one made an issue on the same anomaly on the impacted e-shift models. But once it was noticed on these new models people went looking for it. I'm sure it's there, I'm just not noticing it.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
I think it's more the individual (though uncalibrated variance could be at play too). In a forum full of enthusiasts no one made an issue on the same anomaly on the impacted e-shift models. But once it was noticed on these new models people went looking for it. I'm sure it's there, I'm just not noticing it.
Quite a few years ago I told folks at work that I was going to replace my rear project TV with the Sharp 85". I went and demoed it and I found it absolutely unwatchable. Every moving object had the worst haloing ring around it. Anyhow, they asked me at work if I had purchased it. When I explained how horrible it was, it started a long drawn out discussion around LCD. One particular co-worker swore that his LCD had no such issues. The discussion now included stuttering crawls, blurring on pans and fast moving object etc... I said he was completely wrong. So I went to his house and he had one of the old original backlight Vizio's. It was god awful. So, I pointed out the haloing, stuttering and blurring, not to mention horrific DSE and vinieting. He curses me to this day because now he can't unsee it. He was 100% perfectly happy with his TV until education occurred. Education isn't always a good thing.:D

·
Registered
199 Posts
My dealer told me that 3.11 might include a fix, he was yet to test it though. Some here have 3.11 already from recent service....

·
Registered
2,131 Posts

Yes nothing would change that by now. There haven’t been any software updates or anything since the HDR update.

All I can say is I’ve seen 2 NX5 and 2 NX7 and it was the same on all 4 projectors calibrated or not didn’t make a difference.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Hi there. I know this is an odd question, but I'm running out of ideas on how to get help.

I have a 12 year old Sony VW50 with 900 lumens and 15,000 contrast projecting onto a DaLite 2.3 gain 120" screen from 2008.

I am unable to find any demo of a JVC NX5/1000 projector on to a Stewart Studiotek 130G4 120" screen

Has anyone previously owned The Sony and now has the JVC? What's the real world difference?

Thanks so much
Rob

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Hi there. I know this is an odd question, but I'm running out of ideas on how to get help.

I have a 12 year old Sony VW50 with 900 lumens and 15,000 contrast projecting onto a DaLite 2.3 gain 120" screen from 2008.

I am unable to find any demo of a JVC NX5/1000 projector on to a Stewart Studiotek 130G4 120" screen

Has anyone previously owned The Sony and now has the JVC? What's the real world difference?

Thanks so much
Rob
I had the 695 and the NX7. I guess the noticeable differences are that the NX7 showed better contrast/black level, wider color with the filter, and had dynamic tone mapping.

The Sony had excellent motion in True Cinema, outstanding processing via reality creation, and better ANSI contrast. On the latter point, I know some argue ANSI is not that big of a deal. But here's what Seegs108, whose opinion on projectors I trust, once said a while back:

"Many argue ANSI contrast is a trivial thing and shouldn't be taken seriously when comparing two projectors. I call BS on this because brighter scenes definitely do look more "3D" and dimensional on a projector that has a substantially higher ANSI contrast ratio."

Link Citation to his full post:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/1492234-my-jvc-dla-x55r-rs4810-review.html#post23772389

·
Registered
45 Posts
Anybody know part number of main board of NX5? I have burned both HDMI ports and service told me that this problem is out of warranty.
BTW main service in Europe is in Belgium? If yes, which one.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I had the 695 and the NX7. I guess the noticeable differences are that the NX7 showed better contrast/black level, wider color with the filter, and had dynamic tone mapping.

The Sony had excellent motion in True Cinema, outstanding processing via reality creation, and better ANSI contrast. On the latter point, I know some argue ANSI is not that big of a deal. But here's what Seegs108, whose opinion on projectors I trust, once said a while back:

"Many argue ANSI contrast is a trivial thing and shouldn't be taken seriously when comparing two projectors. I call BS on this because brighter scenes definitely do look more "3D" and dimensional on a projector that has a substantially higher ANSI contrast ratio."

Link Citation to his full post:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/1492234-my-jvc-dla-x55r-rs4810-review.html#post23772389
Having seen the Sony and looked at the measurements, I'm not sure I would argue that it's 250:1 ANSI is going to be noticeably better than the NX7's 200:1. That's not a significant difference. Substantially higher would be the DLPs that more than double these figures.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My Sony 295ES developed a fan rattle so after I sent it off for repair I took the opportunity to buy a RS1000 from Mike and all I can say is "Wow!"; Big difference. The image and contrast are so sharp that everything looks almost 3D. Frame-by-frame tonemapping is amazing but I was pleasantly surprised how good a regular HD cable signal looks. I watch UHD discs and 4K rips on a Nvidia Shield but I regularly browse the cable movie channels and watch bits and pieces of stuff I've already seen and I could not get over how improved the picture was over the Sony. One tip for anyone using a Harmony remote: I could see right away I was going to be fiddling with the settings a lot more than I did with the Sony and I needed a shortcut on my Harmony remote for Natural, Cinema and HDR picture settings. None of the NX5, 7 or 9 (or RS counterparts) remotes have those buttons in the Harmony database but the DLA-X990R remote does. I had already set up mine as a RS1000 and I didn't want to have to start over programming so I just temporarily added a DLA-X990R to a second Harmony remote and used that remote to program the Natural, Cinema and HDR buttons into the first. Thanks Mike!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
How the contrast on the 2000 compared 500..? Did you notice much of a difference.
My room has excellent light control. As others have indicated, there might be minimal decrease in black levels in the darkest scenes, but it isn't at all a deal breaker, especially when considering a much better dynamic iris (if that appeals to you), a brighter image and (most importantly for those who are doing static tone mapping with special curves) the presence of dynamic tone mapping which, in the vast majority of HDR content, is remarkably close to my Lumagen Radiance Pro.

Reactions: asharma
28601 - 28620 of 31872 Posts