AVS Forum banner

28621 - 28640 of 29514 Posts

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Having seen the Sony and looked at the measurements, I'm not sure I would argue that it's 250:1 ANSI is going to be noticeably better than the NX7's 200:1. That's not a significant difference. Substantially higher would be the DLPs that more than double these figures.
You also need quite a good room to even get that good of ANSI contrast performance especially with modern high brightness projectors.

·
Registered
28,807 Posts
You also need quite a good room to even get that good of ANSI contrast performance especially with modern high brightness projectors.
Yeah, we have people talking about how this projector with 500:1 ANSI shows a much better picture in bright scenes than this other projector with 200:1 and yet, like you said, their room may not even support 200:1 ANSI. I have a better room than probably 99% of the people on here and I doubt my room gets up to 400:1.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
People were reporting text-yellowing artifacts and blooming; to your knowledge, is that still the case with the NX7 dynamic iris in use?
no yellowing with filter (WCG) in place in HDR - have not found a way around it in sdr

·
Registered
191 Posts
What makes him think that?
I had a yellow tint to the left of my NX7, during diagnosis he said it seemed like the iris issue widely discussed (it wasn't that issue). 3.11 beta might have contained a fix was his thinking. Mike seems to have clarified that's not the case.

·
Registered
8,860 Posts
The brightness does not affect the ANSI contrast when the limiting factor is the room.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Thanks Aztar,

I'm looking at the comparison between a 12 year old Sony launched in 2006 versus the JVC NX5.

Rob

I had the 695 and the NX7. I guess the noticeable differences are that the NX7 showed better contrast/black level, wider color with the filter, and had dynamic tone mapping.

The Sony had excellent motion in True Cinema, outstanding processing via reality creation, and better ANSI contrast. On the latter point, I know some argue ANSI is not that big of a deal. But here's what Seegs108, whose opinion on projectors I trust, once said a while back:

"Many argue ANSI contrast is a trivial thing and shouldn't be taken seriously when comparing two projectors. I call BS on this because brighter scenes definitely do look more "3D" and dimensional on a projector that has a substantially higher ANSI contrast ratio."

Link Citation to his full post:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/1492234-my-jvc-dla-x55r-rs4810-review.html#post23772389

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Thanks Jeahrens

This is interesting as I was not aware of ANSI contrast. How would I find the number for my projector as everyone is talking about a new Sony. Mine is the VPL-VW50 from about 14 years ago. Rob

Having seen the Sony and looked at the measurements, I'm not sure I would argue that it's 250:1 ANSI is going to be noticeably better than the NX7's 200:1. That's not a significant difference. Substantially higher would be the DLPs that more than double these figures.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
You've got that so right. :) Here's the last DLP I measured for simultaneous/ANSI contrast in a controlled room. Amazing at 713:1!

Attachments

·
Registered
HTP-1
33 Posts
That small, single blue line - this is the first I've seen that reported. Does the line always show up in the exact same spot? Is it easy to reproduce?
The first time the aberrant vertical line appeared, I didn't think much of it and just rebooted the projector and it was gone. I figured it was just a HDMI glitch. The next time it happened, I was thinking, "didn't this happen before?" but rebooted again and basically took mental note to watch out for it in the future. The third times was just 2 or 3 days ago, I often browse this forum and since the issue was being actively discussed I decided to share my experience and post pictures.

I suspect the first refurbished NX-5 projector I purchased may have been returned due to vertical lines issues, maybe prior to firmware 3.1. Maybe JVC updated the firmware, retested and put the projector back into supply chain for resale, but this is only speculation. Then when I bought the projector, issues popped back up even with firmware 3.1.

Now with the RS-2000, I'm having a single aberrant vertical line issue. I figured its was more of the same issue as the NX-5 was having, but as many have suggested, it could be a different issue than what my first projector was experiencing.

I'm not suggesting this is a wide spread issue and I think the RS-2000 is a great projector, but with all electronics, glitches / defects can occur.

If I recall correctly this aberrant line is in the same position as before, but I did not take any prior pictures.

It is not easy to reproduce, as it has only occurred 3 times in 6 months, so about once every 2 months. I average 100 hours / month for projector use.

Now its possible the issue is not the projector, but as stated before I have switched out HDMI cables and it occurs on different sources. The only common demonstrator in all the episodes is the receiver and projector. I really doubt its the receiver and therefore think its likely the projector.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Having seen the Sony and looked at the measurements, I'm not sure I would argue that it's 250:1 ANSI is going to be noticeably better than the NX7's 200:1.
Are we talking about the 1080P Sonys or the 4K Sonys because I thought the 4K Sony projectors hover around 400-450:1 ANSI contrast. And of course there has to be a good room --there has to be an excellent room to fully appreciate any type of contrast, including on/off contrast. :)

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
The first time the aberrant vertical line appeared, I didn't think much of it and just rebooted the projector and it was gone.

Now its possible the issue is not the projector, but as stated before I have switched out HDMI cables and it occurs on different sources. The only common demonstrator in all the episodes is the receiver and projector. I really doubt its the receiver and therefore think its likely the projector.
Mustang, what is the harm in bypassing the receiver for a while. Split audio and video out of the disc player with the video HDMI cable, of course, going directly into the projector. That vertical line might even be some type of signal surge; I don't know. You're in the best position to do some simple due diligence.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Hi Aztar, my PJ was introduced in 2006 and is a 1080p.

Are we talking about the 1080P Sonys or the 4K Sonys because I thought the 4K Sony projectors hover around 400-450:1 ANSI contrast. And of course there has to be a good room --there has to be an excellent room to fully appreciate any type of contrast, including on/off contrast. :)

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Hi there Aztar, I see new Sony's have ARC-F lenses - a quick piece of research on Google shows that this technology was first introduced 8 years ago in 2012. So my PJ introduced in 2006 would be a definite no.
Well, then I would expect you would see some significant improvements in the JVC RS1000, especially in the area of brightness in addition to the other areas I mentioned above.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
I think it was the Sony VW60 that was one of the earliest Sonys to have the ARC-F (All Range Crisp Focus) lens.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
I had a yellow tint to the left of my NX7, during diagnosis he said it seemed like the iris issue widely discussed (it wasn't that issue). 3.11 beta might have contained a fix was his thinking. Mike seems to have clarified that's not the case.
I never saw that. Hopefully it's all fixed for you.

·
Premium Member
23,208 Posts
Anybody know part number of main board of NX5? I have burned both HDMI ports and service told me that this problem is out of warranty.

BTW main service in Europe is in Belgium? If yes, which one.

Thanks

We’re you using an active Hdmi cable ?

·
Registered
28,807 Posts
Thanks Jeahrens

This is interesting as I was not aware of ANSI contrast. How would I find the number for my projector as everyone is talking about a new Sony. Mine is the VPL-VW50 from about 14 years ago. Rob
Kris Deering and DarinP spent a whole day comparing a low ANSI contrast JVC to a very high ANSI contrast DLP (Samsung A900B). They optimized the room so that it was a complete black velvet pit. They were hard pressed to find any bright scene where the Samsung showed an advantage in contrast, but they easily could see the advantage of the higher native contrast in any of the darker scenes.

The reason for this is because in the bright scenes, the brightness causes the iris to close down so the blacks look black, not gray. Enough so that you really can't tell a difference between the two. A lot of people on here try to say there is a big difference, but how many of them have done a side by side?

28621 - 28640 of 29514 Posts