AVS Forum banner

28641 - 28660 of 29521 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Your dealer is wrong. :)
Something tells me "3.11" probably isn't even in the works. Did I miss something? Should we be looking forward to a new firmware version any time in the next few months?

As for people with yellowing artifacts using DI... the solution is simple. If you have the NX7, engage the color filter. If you have the NX5, don't use the DI if the yellowing bothers you.

I have my color filter engaged almost constantly except on desktop content where I leave the DI off anyway (the DI goes nuts opening and closing white and black windows).

·
Registered
28,807 Posts
The first time the aberrant vertical line appeared, I didn't think much of it and just rebooted the projector and it was gone. I figured it was just a HDMI glitch. The next time it happened, I was thinking, "didn't this happen before?" but rebooted again and basically took mental note to watch out for it in the future. The third times was just 2 or 3 days ago, I often browse this forum and since the issue was being actively discussed I decided to share my experience and post pictures.

I suspect the first refurbished NX-5 projector I purchased may have been returned due to vertical lines issues, maybe prior to firmware 3.1. Maybe JVC updated the firmware, retested and put the projector back into supply chain for resale, but this is only speculation. Then when I bought the projector, issues popped back up even with firmware 3.1.

Now with the RS-2000, I'm having a single aberrant vertical line issue. I figured its was more of the same issue as the NX-5 was having, but as many have suggested, it could be a different issue than what my first projector was experiencing.

I'm not suggesting this is a wide spread issue and I think the RS-2000 is a great projector, but with all electronics, glitches / defects can occur.

If I recall correctly this aberrant line is in the same position as before, but I did not take any prior pictures.

It is not easy to reproduce, as it has only occurred 3 times in 6 months, so about once every 2 months. I average 100 hours / month for projector use.

Now its possible the issue is not the projector, but as stated before I have switched out HDMI cables and it occurs on different sources. The only common demonstrator in all the episodes is the receiver and projector. I really doubt its the receiver and therefore think its likely the projector.
If this is a new projector, notify your dealer and have him notify JVC. See what they want to do. Also I would take a picture of the issue. In fact you should always do that (take picture) when you have an issue. You may later find out the issue was not the projector, but if it turns out to be the projector, you have your proof of the problem.

·
Registered
386 Posts
The first time the aberrant vertical line appeared, I didn't think much of it and just rebooted the projector and it was gone. I figured it was just a HDMI glitch. The next time it happened, I was thinking, "didn't this happen before?" but rebooted again and basically took mental note to watch out for it in the future. The third times was just 2 or 3 days ago, I often browse this forum and since the issue was being actively discussed I decided to share my experience and post pictures.

I suspect the first refurbished NX-5 projector I purchased may have been returned due to vertical lines issues, maybe prior to firmware 3.1. Maybe JVC updated the firmware, retested and put the projector back into supply chain for resale, but this is only speculation. Then when I bought the projector, issues popped back up even with firmware 3.1.

Now with the RS-2000, I'm having a single aberrant vertical line issue. I figured its was more of the same issue as the NX-5 was having, but as many have suggested, it could be a different issue than what my first projector was experiencing.

I'm not suggesting this is a wide spread issue and I think the RS-2000 is a great projector, but with all electronics, glitches / defects can occur.

If I recall correctly this aberrant line is in the same position as before, but I did not take any prior pictures.

It is not easy to reproduce, as it has only occurred 3 times in 6 months, so about once every 2 months. I average 100 hours / month for projector use.

Now its possible the issue is not the projector, but as stated before I have switched out HDMI cables and it occurs on different sources. The only common demonstrator in all the episodes is the receiver and projector. I really doubt its the receiver and therefore think its likely the projector.

The vertical line issue is also available in red. Apart from some further artifacts it behaves just the same.

Attachments

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,428 Posts
Yeah, we have people talking about how this projector with 500:1 ANSI shows a much better picture in bright scenes than this other projector with 200:1 and yet, like you said, their room may not even support 200:1 ANSI. I have a better room than probably 99% of the people on here and I doubt my room gets up to 400:1.
Light is reflected from the room back onto the screen evenly. If a 500:1 contrast projector is reduced to 250:1 due to light reflections, then a 200:1 will be reduced to 100:1.

Either way, I agree ANSI contrast makes very little difference unless it absolutely trounces what it's being compared to (1000:1 ANSI vs 100:1 for example).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Has anyone seen an issue where the one of the HDMI ports on these projectors just stops working? A few days ago I tried to turn on my RS-2000 and I couldn't get a signal on my HDMI 1 port.
I tried multiple cables and devices and it just appears to be broken and never gets a signal. I've had the projector for about a year and this looks to be the first issue I've had.
Right now I am able to use HDMI 2 and everything looks to be working on that port.
Do you think I am I on borrowed time here? I spent a while doing a calibration on this, so I really don't like the idea of switching it out and potentially getting a refurb.
The same active cable I have been using for the last couple of years is still working and the AVR hasn't changed so I don't know what caused the port to suddenly just stop working.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,428 Posts
Has anyone seen an issue where the one of the HDMI ports on these projectors just stops working? A few days ago I tried to turn on my RS-2000 and I couldn't get a signal on my HDMI 1 port.
I tried multiple cables and devices and it just appears to be broken and never gets a signal. I've had the projector for about a year and this looks to be the first issue I've had.
Right now I am able to use HDMI 2 and everything looks to be working on that port.
Do you think I am I on borrowed time here? I spent a while doing a calibration on this, so I really don't like the idea of switching it out and potentially getting a refurb.
The same active cable I have been using for the last couple of years is still working and the AVR hasn't changed so I don't know what caused the port to suddenly just stop working.
More likely something happened to damage that port and it's dead. You're not on borrowed time though. I had an RS35 for years where HDMI2 didnt work and it is still running at my friend's to this day on HDMI1 just fine.

·
Premium Member
23,208 Posts
I guess I am about to throw a big monkey wrench in the cable situation. I am hearing that the Ruipro runs a little hot, as in slightly high on the voltage. That helps it sending a signal, but is hard on the HDMI input on projectors. And yes, an HDMI input boards has been damaged from over voltage.

Regarding the active cables

·
Registered
191 Posts
Something tells me "3.11" probably isn't even in the works. Did I miss something? Should we be looking forward to a new firmware version any time in the next few months?

As for people with yellowing artifacts using DI... the solution is simple. If you have the NX7, engage the color filter. If you have the NX5, don't use the DI if the yellowing bothers you.

I have my color filter engaged almost constantly except on desktop content where I leave the DI off anyway (the DI goes nuts opening and closing white and black windows).
I didn't make up that people on this forum already have 3.11 firmware from service :)

My dealer has the beta, just hasn't tested it yet.

Can't imagine it will remain in beta for much longer and it's most definitely not 'in the works' as they're actively placing it on serviced units.

·
Premium Member
23,208 Posts
I didn't make up that people on this forum already have 3.11 firmware from service :)

Can't imagine it will remain in beta for much longer and it's most definitely not 'in the works' as they're actively placing it on serviced units.
Wonder why they didn't give it to me as mine was serviced ??

·
Registered
24 Posts
More likely something happened to damage that port and it's dead. You're not on borrowed time though. I had an RS35 for years where HDMI2 didnt work and it is still running at my friend's to this day on HDMI1 just fine.
Well that's at least good to know but it's still a little concerning that the port fried randomly. I might wait till the projector is a few years older but still in warranty and then get it repaired. I guess it's a good thing they have two ports...

I haven't been super caught up on this thread but it doesn't seem like a lot of people have experienced this issue.

Just for reference I am using a Furui active optical cable.

·
Registered
179 Posts
no yellowing with filter (WCG) in place in HDR - have not found a way around it in sdr
Very easy: just use the filter in SDR as well. I'm usually doing that because gamut is more accurate. You need to create a custom BT.709 profile with filter though

·
Registered
179 Posts
Well that's at least good to know but it's still a little concerning that the port fried randomly. I might wait till the projector is a few years older but still in warranty and then get it repaired. I guess it's a good thing they have two ports...

I haven't been super caught up on this thread but it doesn't seem like a lot of people have experienced this issue.

It happened to me after I played with an HDMI matrix and an HDMI voltage inserter (ruipro cable)... I got it repaired in warranty (Italy).

·
Registered
29 Posts

Are you using a 5v USB power injector with the cable? I just got myself a 10M Ruipro active optical cable and it came with one, but I have been reading that unless I have issues I shouldn't need to use it. If certain cables may run "hot", as was stated here, I assume the 5v injector wouldn't help with that?, but I'm curious if others think that power injectors are a good idea to keep the power consistent in any case. Also, which end of the cable needs the injector? I think I thread that it should be on the "sink" / Display end.

On a related note, is there any good source of HDMI cable reviews / articles out there that has done testing of the 8K cabled at 40/48Gbps? I got the Ruipro since it was mentioned here on AVS a number of times.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
28,807 Posts
Yep. Port can be damaged when plugging in a cable crooked, rather than straight in, can be damaged by plugging in a cable that is damaged, can be damaged by plugging in a cable when equipment is turned on and can be damaged by a power surge. Many people, my self included have plugged and unplugged hot (equipment on) HDMI cables. Technically you are risking the HDMI port doing this.

·
Registered
28,807 Posts

I assumed it was in beta and would be released soon, but being told 3.11 is so minor a change, that it may not even be released.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Are you using a 5v USB power injector with the cable? I just got myself a 10M Ruipro active optical cable and it came with one, but I have been reading that unless I have issues I shouldn't need to use it. If certain cables may run "hot", as was stated here, I assume the 5v injector wouldn't help with that?, but I'm curious if others think that power injectors are a good idea to keep the power consistent in any case. Also, which end of the cable needs the injector? I think I thread that it should be on the "sink" / Display end.

On a related note, is there any good source of HDMI cable reviews / articles out there that has done testing of the 8K cabled at 40/48Gbps? I got the Ruipro since it was mentioned here on AVS a number of times.

Thanks all!
If you read my post immediately before yours, I think the cause of one of HDMI ports broken in my case was the voltage inserter (you called it injector). I was having handshaking issues with my HDMI matrix and I tried with/without several times and I think I broke it. I would say better not using it. For the records, I used it source side.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am not using a power injector, just the cable direct from an Arcam AVR. It's possible a hot plug could have caused the issue but it's not something I do often and doubt I've done anything like that in a few months.

Hopefully Furui cables don't run really hot and end up damaging the second port. We will see...

·
Registered
441 Posts
Hi there. I know this is an odd question, but I'm running out of ideas on how to get help.

I have a 12 year old Sony VW50 with 900 lumens and 15,000 contrast projecting onto a DaLite 2.3 gain 120" screen from 2008.

I am unable to find any demo of a JVC NX5/1000 projector on to a Stewart Studiotek 130G4 120" screen

Has anyone previously owned The Sony and now has the JVC? What's the real world difference?

Thanks so much
Rob

Rob,

I came from a Sony ES55 to the NX5. I loved my Sony but in practical terms the NX5 is on a different level. The detail, colors and contrast are phenomenal. It’s a very nice leap and it will improve your viewing experience by a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Thanks so much. Ordered the Stewart Studiotek 130 G4 120" 1.78:1 and the NX5.Rob

Rob,

I came from a Sony ES55 to the NX5. I loved my Sony but in practical terms the NX5 is on a different level. The detail, colors and contrast are phenomenal. It’s a very nice leap and it will improve your viewing experience by a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

28641 - 28660 of 29521 Posts