AVS Forum banner
29,321 - 29,340 of 49,171 Posts
I think the key word in the video is Customization. So you will be able to customize the HDR tone mapping to best fit your system.
Where I see JVC having a huge advantage to the two other VPs that deal with DTM is that JVC has their projectors in-house 100% of the time and can experiment with settings and getting every single bit of power to make DTM looking great on a single product (ok, 3 products based on almost identical hardware). If JVC can squeeze their hardware lemon for more juice they might create a DTM algorithm that works on a sub-100 nit projector.

Having tested all three on my RS3000 I can say that JVC is about 60-70% perfect while Lumagen & MadVR are closer to 90-95%. JVC just needs to tweak for their own hardware while the latter have to tweak their hardware for all products.

Reactions: Craig Peer
I am hearing that this new system will be able to do things that none of the other systems can currently do.

Wasnt there some weird way they wanted this installed like at the projector end with the USB cord just dangling?
I do not know who told the person was that told the other poster what to do. I installed the device as per the instructions, at device side and connected the USB to a power supply.

I do not know who told the person was that told the other poster what to do. I installed the device as per the instructions, at device side and connected the USB to a power supply.
Right, so doesn't that seem like you just traded off risk? Instead of trusting your expensive AVR HDMI power line is in spec you now are trusting some $5 Chinese made USB power adapter is in spec. Which of those two do you think will die in 5 years? While the cheap power adapter dies, it probably dies rather than surges, but still.

Right, so doesn't that seem like you just traded off risk? Instead of trusting your expensive AVR HDMI power line is in spec you now are trusting some $5 Chinese made USB power adapter is in spec. Which of those two do you think will die in 5 years? While the cheap power adapter dies, it probably dies rather than surges, but still.
The key being your last sentence. Just dies, does not surge. Dies and it is cheap and easy to replace. Surge can be expensive and a lot of trouble to replace.

The key being your last sentence. Just dies, does not surge. Dies and it is cheap and easy to replace. Surge can be expensive and a lot of trouble to replace.
Yea but we really don't know. Those cheap power supplies are just a couple circuits that rectify the voltage from the wall input 120vac. It's possible that as they go out they short the full 120vac onto the line right before they go poof. It just seems far less trustworthy unless you have some sort of heavy duty grade regulated 5v power supply you can plug into. I think in most cases, I'd trust the electronics in the AVR over the cheapo USB power adapter to be safe.

I'm confused on the cable concerns. Almost all fibre HDMI cables actually have real wires for the power running alongside the fibre in the sheath. The voltage is therefore determined by the source device and behaves no differently whatsoever to a regular HDMI cable.
That is correct, except typically people use fibre HDMI when they need lengths greater than what regular HDMI cables can handle. This means the power demand on the 5V line will be higher.
Yea but we really don't know. Those cheap power supplies are just a couple circuits that rectify the voltage from the wall input 120vac. It's possible that as they go out they short the full 120vac onto the line right before they go poof. It just seems far less trustworthy unless you have some sort of heavy duty grade regulated 5v power supply you can plug into. I think in most cases, I'd trust the electronics in the AVR over the cheapo USB power adapter to be safe.
i don’t see the inserter as a protective device. It’s only used when the source cannot provide sufficient power to the load (e.g., fibre cable).
The “weird” way discussed earlier actually isolates the projector from the 5V on the HDMI connector.

You might want to try to run the lamp on high for several hours and see if things settle down.
It seems that the issue went away. I did some fiddling with low and high power lamp settings and processor setting. It seems like when the issue was most visible was in the Cinema setting in low power. High power reduced the flickering quite a bit. HDR10 showed no issues. But now the problem has disappeared. Not sure what to make of it.

With people staying at home this would be a very smart move and get some make their decision now before Sony or others possibly come out with new models. It puts Sony and others on the defensive and would make current JVC owners very happy.
You means, does make current 1000/2000/3000 JVC owners happy. :)

Ruipro makes one to work with their cables.It is 4k/60 compliant.
Actually my cable came with 2 of these, the seller gave one and there was another on the box.
Sadly the power cable is on the right of the conecter and bumps into the secondary HDMI outlet, i have another device conected there :(
Looking for a inserter with the cable on the left.

Looks like this will be a great firmware update for all 1000/2000/3000. :)
Looks like this firmware will be available late November/early December. Intention is to have this out before end of the year.
A Christmas firmware 😊

Reactions: Mike Garrett
Well that new firmware will be interesting. It would be both shocking and disappointing for Lumagen users if it does DTM better than a processor that should have more power to do amazing things.

Reactions: Aztar35
No, even the cheap ones will not short the full 120V into the output. There is always an isolation transformer between the input and the output.
If there wasn't isolation between the input and output the projector will be fried instantly.
Even if the supply isn't broken. (yet)

Well that new firmware will be interesting. It would be both shocking and disappointing for Lumagen users if it does DTM better than a processor that should have more power to do amazing things.
Is your subtext: "will it be 'night and day' better than FW 3.10 DTM" ?

I'm curious too. I thought FW 3.10 Frame Adapt was amazing, especially given that the projector is....well... a projector and not a dedicated outboard processor like the Lumagen unit.

29,321 - 29,340 of 49,171 Posts