AVS Forum banner

29441 - 29460 of 32004 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,452 Posts
Note that the firmware update process used to be pretty complicated and it was fairly common for someone to mess up their projector, trying to perform an update, so JVC did not do very many. Now that the process is much simpler, JVC has issued a lot more updates. There is still a risk, but not like it used to be.
I’m grateful that JVC is still looking after its customers. To improve the DTM is a big win in my books

·
Registered
206 Posts
I’m grateful that JVC is now looking after its customers. To improve the DTM is a big win in my books
I agree, it's great news for current owners. They could have just as easily taken a software feature and made it exclusive to a newer model. I think they've learned it's not the best practice to do this. Yes, R&D costs are one aspect, however a trade off between R&D cost and customer investment in their current JVC projector has to be reached. The Gamma D issue would not have totalled anywhere near the development time of the pending HDR frame adapt....

I think this is why Claw and Dominic point out the support failing in the past. Those previous projectors were as much of an investment for customers as the current line, yet JVC decided to ultimately move the 'feature' to a new model.

On the plus side, and speaking of R&D, JVC must have done their research into whether or not this HDR frame adapt pending update was worth holding over for new models VS current line-up update. Lets face it, they could have easily done so. It's exciting that they are choosing to update the current line and not save the feature for the new lineup, to me that suggests the new models will have more compelling features to upgrade to than heavily relying on a new form of frame adapt HDR. Various teams at JVC must feel they have enough in the pipeline to make upgrading compelling enough for current RS1/2/3 owners, and that those (by that point) outgoing models won't cannibalise their own sales of new models, even with previous frame adapt HDR updates possibly narrowing performance gaps.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that future models will likely have a significant frame adapt HDR advantage, or, a slight advantage with decent improvements elsewhere. Exciting either way and a refreshing strategy.

·
Registered
97 Posts
i bet they got very good sales after the HDR frame adapt firmware, in fact i follow some people that traded theyr Sonys for N7's.
It's good business for everyone they get new clients, steal some from the oposition and the final client wins too.
I dont know about production and R&D cycles but the ball is now on the other brands, as it is JVC does not need to put new machines out untill some other brand gets something new and magical ready to sale.
They might have understtod that if they continue to improve this line new clients will appear with no need to put new machines out.

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
I agree, it's great news for current owners. They could have just as easily taken a software feature and made it exclusive to a newer model. I think they've learned it's not the best practice to do this. Yes, R&D costs are one aspect, however a trade off between R&D cost and customer investment in their current JVC projector has to be reached. The Gamma D issue would not have totalled anywhere near the development time of the pending HDR frame adapt....

I think this is why Claw and Dominic point out the support failing in the past. Those previous projectors were as much of an investment for customers as the current line, yet JVC decided to ultimately move the 'feature' to a new model.

On the plus side, and speaking of R&D, JVC must have done their research into whether or not this HDR frame adapt pending update was worth holding over for new models VS current line-up update. Lets face it, they could have easily done so. It's exciting that they are choosing to update the current line and not save the feature for the new lineup, to me that suggests the new models will have more compelling features to upgrade to than heavily relying on a new form of frame adapt HDR. Various teams at JVC must feel they have enough in the pipeline to make upgrading compelling enough for current RS1/2/3 owners, and that those (by that point) outgoing models won't cannibalise their own sales of new models, even with previous frame adapt HDR updates possibly narrowing performance gaps.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that future models will likely have a significant frame adapt HDR advantage, or, a slight advantage with decent improvements elsewhere. Exciting either way and a refreshing strategy.
With the current world situation it has been difficult to get many parts in a timely manner. I think JVC realized that any upgrade involving new parts might create delays and hurt sales. I bet they are working on a new laser model and a 2.1 HDMI upgrade. They could also need more time for testing and offering another improved DTM firmware seems like a very smart move at this point. Most people really have no need for HDMI yet. Many would love to have a laser light source but cost is a big issue for most people at this point. The current models have decent lamps that seem to last several thousand hours. If one wants to save money it is even possible to replace the bare bulb in the current lamp housing for a little or $100. It will be interesting to see what Sony and Epson do this year. We should have answers soon. I think many are glad that JVC is being proactive and this will probably help sales. The USB firmware update method has made things much easier.

·
aka jfinnie
4,469 Posts
The lamp Vs laser thing really has to be about much more than lamp cost even at retail; I'm a relatively heavy user on my system (X7900) and my lamp is still going strong almost 2 years after install (approx 2500 hrs now). A overestimate of my costs would be 5% of unit cost over 2 years on a lamp... It's insignificant. I drink more beer during those 2500hrs than my lamp costs! The quality of the image from having a more stable light source is the big win for a laser IMHO, and the potential for a wider gamut.

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
The lamp Vs laser thing really has to be about much more than lamp cost even at retail; I'm a relatively heavy user on my system (X7900) and my lamp is still going strong almost 2 years after install (approx 2500 hrs now). A overestimate of my costs would be 5% of unit cost over 2 years on a lamp... It's insignificant. I drink more beer during those 2500hrs than my lamp costs! The quality of the image from having a more stable light source is the big win for a laser IMHO, and the potential for a wider gamut.
I agree that laser does have advantages beyond cost. The problem is that at the present time the price of the laser with the more stable light source and wider gamut is out of reach for many. I would expect in a year or two the cost will come down. With the upgraded firmware just announced it will JVC more time to hopefully get the cost of the laser light source down to a reasonable price point. The competition could also help do this. Many of us remember what the cost of a LED light bulb was a few years ago. Hopefully costs will also come down for laser light sources sooner than later.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Hey guys... any of you find yourselves removing the lamp sticker?
I hate stickers and this one catches my eye when I set in the back row...

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
choosing to update the current line and not save the feature for the new lineup, to me that suggests the new models will have more compelling features to upgrade to than heavily relying on a new form of frame adapt HDR.
To me, it suggests it will be a while before any new models are released.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,058 Posts
Hi Mark,

Just a point...remember when all the chatter was about how the Lumagen DTM couldn't touch madVR because the Lumagen "Didn't have the "Processing Power" well i can assure you with what i have seen/compared with my Lumagen and madVR HTPC and Envy extreme, that the Lumagen is VERY VERY close to the other 2, and dare i say it....more "accurate"

I think as time goes by, DTM will cease to be something of a "Boutique" concept and will be widespread and developed more and more by others..just as JVC are doing... :)
By the way, I never said that. I was only referring to upscaling. It's possible DTM doesn't require nearly as much processing. I guess we will see what can be done on the projectors.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,058 Posts
Note that the firmware update process used to be pretty complicated and it was fairly common for someone to mess up their projector, trying to perform an update, so JVC did not do very many. Now that the process is much simpler, JVC has issued a lot more updates. There is still a risk, but not like it used to be.
Why is there still a risk? What is the risk exactly? I wrote a lot of firmware updaters when I worked at Intel. The firmware is stored in some form of NVM probably flash. When you write the flash, you cant just write it so you have to erase it first then write it. There's risk that a power outage may occur and result in the NVM being partially or completely unprogrammed. This is pretty easily mitigated, however, by having double the needed flash and you do it like this. You have the ability to mark one bank as "active". So the flow is like this: Erase the inactive bank. program the inactive bank. Mark the newly programmed inactive bank active. Mark the previously active game inactive. (This can be done without an erase as in flash memories you can change 1's to 0's without an erase. In this model, any firmware update failure results in the old firmware still running. There's zero risk. I'd expect this is how the JVC firmware update process works now. Do we know it's not how it works?

·
Registered
9,058 Posts
For me, laser was actually a minus not a plus in that I can replace a lamp but basically cannot replace the laser when it goes. The reason I own a laser is purely for dynamic laser dimming. Super out on the moving parts in the iris those things break easily.

·
Vendor
27,562 Posts
Hey guys... any of you find yourselves removing the lamp sticker?
I hate stickers and this one catches my eye when I set in the back row...
I find myself doing the same sometimes. In this case, why are you looking back anyway, lol?

·
Registered
206 Posts
To me, it suggests it will be a while before any new models are released.
Next year is not much time remaining, that's why I figure it's something more of a performance gap since JVC are happy to push another update to the N series. I can't imagine the sales were stagnating and this is a way to pick them up, neither do I see many potential buyers holding off for a new model. Which leaves me thinking the update is not going to leave the current models competing with newer ones in a year.

·
Registered
29,745 Posts
Why is there still a risk? What is the risk exactly? I wrote a lot of firmware updaters when I worked at Intel. The firmware is stored in some form of NVM probably flash. When you write the flash, you cant just write it so you have to erase it first then write it. There's risk that a power outage may occur and result in the NVM being partially or completely unprogrammed. This is pretty easily mitigated, however, by having double the needed flash and you do it like this. You have the ability to mark one bank as "active". So the flow is like this: Erase the inactive bank. program the inactive bank. Mark the newly programmed inactive bank active. Mark the previously active game inactive. (This can be done without an erase as in flash memories you can change 1's to 0's without an erase. In this model, any firmware update failure results in the old firmware still running. There's zero risk. I'd expect this is how the JVC firmware update process works now. Do we know it's not how it works?
You don't get the phone calls on a Friday night where a guy tells me he tried to update his projector and now it is not working. That it is locked up. I do get those calls. As I said, the risk is much smaller than it used to be, but it is still there.

If the risk is zero, why would JVC say they are not releasing firmware 3.11 to the public, because the risk outweighs the benefit, since the firmware is so minor. Very little to gain vs risk of a problem. Not everybody has a high level of computer skills.

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
Next year is not much time remaining, that's why I figure it's something more of a performance gap since JVC are happy to push another update to the N series. I can't imagine the sales were stagnating and this is a way to pick them up, neither do I see many potential buyers holding off for a new model. Which leaves me thinking the update is not going to leave the current models competing with newer ones in a year.
We can only speculate why a company makes a specific decision regarding new models. They could be overstocked,
some new parts might not be available in time. They don't want to hurt current sales so they made this announcement, and any other possible reason. The good news is that the firmware update is coming and that will keep current users happy as well as hopefully sell more units for JVC. It seems that people are upgrading less frequently with many things.
The need to update a phone every year is long past and the same is true for other types of electronics.

·
Registered
29,745 Posts
We can only speculate why a company makes a specific decision regarding new models. They could be overstocked,
some new parts might not be available in time. They don't want to hurt current sales so they made this announcement, and any other possible reason. The good news is that the firmware update is coming and that will keep current users happy as well as hopefully sell more units for JVC. It seems that people are upgrading less frequently with many things.
The need to update a phone every year is long past and the same is true for other types of electronics.
All JVC projectors are distributed by WAVE (WAVE purchased AVAD) Currently WAVE has in inventory:

Zero RS1000's
Zero RS2000's
Zero RS3000's
Zero LX-NZ3's

Inventory has been tight off and on all year. So I can tell you it is not an overstock situation.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Thanks Mike. I didn't think sales were wanting. I'll chalk it up to JVC looking after current owners and having confidence in a future line up that would already be well into development by this point. A win win.

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
All JVC projectors are distributed by WAVE (WAVE purchased AVAD) Currently WAVE has in inventory:

Zero RS1000's
Zero RS2000's
Zero RS3000's
Zero LX-NZ3's

Inventory has been tight off and on all year. So I can tell you it is not an overstock situation.
Glad to hear that sales are going well for JVC. As I said it is all speculation. I can also speculate that sales are up because many people are stuck home and theaters are closed.

29441 - 29460 of 32004 Posts