AVS Forum banner

29461 - 29480 of 32004 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I find myself doing the same sometimes. In this case, why are you looking back anyway, lol?
Lol...I like looking at that big boy....only had it for a week now....still new...haha

·
Registered
554 Posts
With nowadays flash memories uploading programs is always a two part thing, you have a bootloader that starts the process from scratch (boot) and the actual uploaded program that is given control at the verified end of the process. The bootloader is always a hardware protected built-in part of the flash memory that is NOT overwritten, thus even if worst case outage happens you can always restart from scratch.
I guess the risk is more with a non functionality with the newer level of the FW, or the end user panic not knowing how to restart the FW process.
Mike : have you already had to send back a projector because the FW upload process was non at all restartable ?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts

·
Registered
29,745 Posts
Glad to hear that sales are going well for JVC. As I said it is all speculation. I can also speculate that sales are up because many people are stuck home and theaters are closed.
Yes, sales are up this summer and I would say stuck at home is the number one reason why sales are up.

·
Registered
29,745 Posts
With nowadays flash memories uploading programs is always a two part thing, you have a bootloader that starts the process from scratch (boot) and the actual uploaded program that is given control at the verified end of the process. The bootloader is always a hardware protected built-in part of the flash memory that is NOT overwritten, thus even if worst case outage happens you can always restart from scratch.
I guess the risk is more with a non functionality with the newer level of the FW, or the end user panic not knowing how to restart the FW process.
Mike : have you already had to send back a projector because the FW upload process was non at all restartable ?
With the current USB setup, no, but have had to get JVC involved and send a recovery program and get JVC on the phone with the customer to walk him/her through procedure to do the recovery and then do the firmware update. This is time consuming for JVC, dealer and customer. Last one happened on a weekend and I spent most of the night working out the issues with customer and JVC and getting customer back up and running.

·
Registered
97 Posts
so with covid and vacations (at home) my kid is now 12 and now FINALLY he starts to get the Marvell universe, and now he "demands" to see all the MCU movies, as such my projector is being overworked hee hee, one movie in the morning another in the afternoon sometimes.

I just saw Winter Soldier with him, and i know this is not an OLED, and it's not even calibrated yet but i was really impressed with the picture, some highlights kind of blind me with no loss of detail on the rest of the picure, how did they do this with a normal 1.0 screen like i got, i'm really happy with my N7!

That being said sometimes i notice i little pumping on the iris, in some movies you do, others not, i hope they can fix it.

now to the point of my strange problem, for some days... weeks my image has not moved, don't know if you guys remember but i complained here in the forum that my image moves to the right side a few cm, it has been perfect for some weeks.

So i thought maybe it happens when the projector loses power, (i like to disconect the electricity to the cinema when not in use for a few days).

With heavy use, power has allways been conected.

So lo and behold today i fired it up and there it was... image shifted a few cm to the right, and i did not remove power to the system.

Really strange because, zoom is perfect, vertical alignement is perfect, focus also, its just the horizontal alignment.

So i was wondering, i'm very protective of the whole system, so i like to put the lens cap on, could this be what is shifting the image, my fumbling with the cap? (call me crazy i also like to run an air purification device for an hour before starting the projector on the room).

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
so with covid and vacations (at home) my kid is now 12 and now FINALLY he starts to get the Marvell universe, and now he "demands" to see all the MCU movies, as such my projector is being overworked hee hee, one movie in the morning another in the afternoon sometimes.

I just saw Winter Soldier with him, and i know this is not an OLED, and it's not even calibrated yet but i was really impressed with the picture, some highlights kind of blind me with no loss of detail on the rest of the picure, how did they do this with a normal 1.0 screen like i got, i'm really happy with my N7!

That being said sometimes i notice i little pumping on the iris, in some movies you do, others not, i hope they can fix it.

now to the point of my strange problem, for some days... weeks my image has not moved, don't know if you guys remember but i complained here in the forum that my image moves to the right side a few cm, it has been perfect for some weeks.

So i thought maybe it happens when the projector loses power, (i like to disconect the electricity to the cinema when not in use for a few days).

With heavy use, power has allways been conected.

So lo and behold today i fired it up and there it was... image shifted a few cm to the right, and i did not remove power to the system.

Really strange because, zoom is perfect, vertical alignement is perfect, focus also, its just the horizontal alignment.

So i was wondering, i'm very protective of the whole system, so i like to put the lens cap on, could this be what is shifting the image, my fumbling with the cap? (call me crazy i also like to run an air purification device for an hour before starting the projector on the room).
If u r using a mount with Spyder arms, any physical touch of the projector “could” cause a shift...

·
Premium Member
12,584 Posts
About 10 months ago, I acquired an RS200 projector. I have been extremely please with the pj up to this point. A few months ago, I replaced my 11 year old SeymourAV screen with a new retractable screen, 115" diagonal, 2.25:1 and using the UF AT screen material. I also added side masking for 16:9. I have been very pleased with that result as well. Here's a link to my post about that: craig john's theater

Last week I was fortunate enough to take advantage of the closeout on the Panamorph Paladin Lens, (not the DCR.) Panamorph was closing them out at <50% of original MSRP. At the closeout price of $3k, it was 1/3 the price of a DCR lens, so it seemed like a no-brainer. The Paladin lens requires a 1.6:1 throw ratio and it provides a 33% brightness increase vs. the 38% of the DCR. Yesterday my buddy Ryan, (@reg152 ) stopped over and helped me install it. Ryan has forgotten more about video than I'll ever know. (I help him with audio and he helps me with video. It's a symbiotic relationship that is mutually beneficial. (y)) He owns an RS2000, a DCR lens and a Lumagen processor, as well as a full-blown calibrating system. Since he was familiar with lens installation on this projector, he cut the time of installation and optimization by at least 98% over what it would have taken me by myself. (Thanks Ryan!!!) The adjustments included adjusting lens shift in the projector, then moving the lens fore and aft in front of the projector to be able to use the full lens, then moving the lens in the vertical plane to center the image inside the lens to align it to the projector, and finally rotation of the lens to eliminate pin cushion. He was able to get it almost perfectly aligned, with just a very slight pincushion in the upper right corner, which we fixed with a few pixels of overscan. We used Anamorphic A for 2.35 and Anamorphic B for 16:9.

He also went through my entire video chain and optimized the signal path. I use a rather unconventional signal chain. I have an Oppo 205 which has an HDMI input, and I run my Roku through it to take advantage of it's excellent 4K upscaler. I switch sources via the Oppo, switching between the Oppo player for shiny discs and the Roku for streaming, (which are my only 2 sources.) (I also use the Oppo's analog subwoofer output to drive my tactile transducer system. This provides a "pure" signal to the transducers with no Audyssey EQ in the chain. It also allows for a separate Distance setting for the transducers than for the subs, which allows synchronizations of tactile with sound, which really improves the "beleiveability" of the transducers. But I digress...)

Ryan used the video processing in the Oppo to add a few ticks of sharpness to the signal. I was already using the upscaling by setting it to "Custom" with a 4K output resolution so we left that alone. Ryan then did a full panel "pixel adjust." Red and Blue were both out considerably, and inconsistently, across the panel. Some of the adjustments in some areas of the screen were in the range of +/- 24 to 28, when the full scale of the adjustments is 31. Suffice it to say the pixel convergence was off by a LOT and re-convergingthem made the entire image much sharper and better focused. He spent almost an hour reconverging everything and the white lines were much sharper and narrower when he was finished.

The final result was that I now have a "new" projector, fully upgraded from the original. The image is brighter, especially with HDR material. (I should qualify that by saying that the overall image doesn't seem much brighter, but the bright areas seem brighter even though the overall image seems like it's about the same brightness.) It is also much sharper and has more detail and depth than the "old" projector. Blacks seem "richer", like there is more shadow detail due to the increased sharpness. The 3-dimensional depth of the image is greatly improved. 4K HDR with Scene-by-Scene DTM is absolutely stunning, the best image I've ever seen! 1080P Bluray and streaming in SDR with the "Natural" setting and upscaled through the Oppo is very, very close to the 4K image. 16:9 images with Anamorphic B and the side masking are also greatly improved.

When I first got this projector, I thought it was stunning right OOTB. After the screen upgrade and the installation of the lens and Ryan's tweaks to the system, the image is now simply jaw-dropping. And it's not even calibrated for grayscale and color yet. We didn't have time to do that yesterday. However, with this "new" image, I'm in no hurry to get the calibration done. I could live with this image for a very long time and not feel like I needed an upgrade of any kind.

Thanks JVC, SeymourAV, Oppo, Panamorph and especially Ryan!!!

Craig

·
Registered
97 Posts
If u r using a mount with Spyder arms, any physical touch of the projector “could” cause a shift...
So i was about to anwer that i use a Chief mount with no arms:

but then i thought, ok lets check it out again, (i had previously reset the lens shift and ajdust the middle position to the middle of the screen with the mount adjustments).

So i used this laser level thingy that i have, and did a fast check aligning it with the middle of the projector and.... to my surprise it was off!

how could this be? so i give it a little lateral pressure, and it moves! on the column screws, above and below!

maybe the installers forgot to tighten the adjust screws, so i tightened the central column a bit avove and below, centered as best i could the mount and tightened the screws that lock the column.

i reset again the image and again recentered the projector.

So lens shift is working as intended, ill keep an eye on it now to see if it deviates again, but if it does its the mount and not the projector itself.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts

but then i thought, ok lets check it out again, (i had previously reset the lens shift and ajdust the middle position to the middle of the screen with the mount adjustments).

So i used this laser level thingy that i have, and did a fast check aligning it with the middle of the projector and.... to my surprise it was off!

how could this be? so i give it a little lateral pressure, and it moves! on the column screws, above and below!

maybe the installers forgot to tighten the adjust screws, so i tightened the central column a bit avove and below, centered as best i could the mount and tightened the screws that lock the column.

So lens shift is working as intended, ill keep an eye on it now to see if it deviates again, but if it does its the mount and not the projector itself.
Just curious with the Chief mount, can you physically rock the projector or does the mount hold it in its exact spot even when physically rocked...I don’t mean rock it hard but I find with any Spyder arm implementation, there is slight wobble when physically rocked, altho totally stable and able to handle the load...

·
Registered
29,745 Posts

Yes, pretty much knew it had to be either the mount moving or the projector moving on the mount. It can't be the projector moving the image sideways. Also, I would not be putting the lens cap on after every use. Just leave the lens alone. :)

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Last week I was fortunate enough to take advantage of the closeout on the Panamorph Paladin Lens, (not the DCR.) Panamorph was closing them out at <50% of original MSRP. At the closeout price of $3k, it was 1/3 the price of a DCR lens, so it seemed like a no-brainer. The Paladin lens requires a 1.6:1 throw ratio and it provides a 33% brightness increase vs. the 38% of the DCR.
That is a great price for a really nice lens, and a great alternative to the DCR. I use one with my RS1000 and couldn't be happier with it. Good choice.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just curious with the Chief mount, can you physically rock the projector or does the mount hold it in its exact spot even when physically rocked...I don’t mean rock it hard but I find with any Spyder arm implementation, there is slight wobble when physically rocked, altho totally stable and able to handle the load...
No wobble my earlier projector was even hit by the door (have inserted a door stop since lol) and did not move its position.

my problem were these set screws were no tightned

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yeah, I want to remove mine to. It looks ugly. I'm just unsure how to go about it. It seems stuck on pretty good.
I just slowly peeled the label off shortly after I received the projector. If there is any residue left on the projector after removal, the residue can be removed with Goo-gone without affecting the projector case. I thought the label looked tacky, especially since it was upside down due to the projector being inverted.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I see the label now, but since the projector is in the back row, it doesn’t really bother me. Now that I have seen it, I can unsee it. YMMV of course.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
I just slowly peeled the label off shortly after I received the projector. If there is any residue left on the projector after removal, the residue can be removed with Goo-gone without affecting the projector case. I thought the label looked tacky, especially since it was upside down due to the projector being inverted.
Thanks, marswill. :cool:

·
Registered
156 Posts
I will forever hold a grudge against JVC for not providing a replacement for the broken Gamma D to RS500/RS600 owners. An HDfury device shouldn't be required to prevent forced Gamma D by disabling the HDR output such that the JVC does not recognize it as HDR.
Simple software or firmware solution they could of did to rectify Gamma D. I can’t afford a new laser JVC but wouldn’t buy one new anyway because of that lack of previous support. Conversely, I would eat ramen noodles for a year to support companies like Lumagen who constantly amaze me with the level of customer focus.

Reactions: Karl Maga

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
JVC NX series with the DTM f/w is one of the most significant f/w improvements I‘ve seen with projectors. I am still awed by this projector and the DCR lens combo, even with SDR content (Natural), once you dial it in.

I’m wondering if JVC has a patent on DTM projector software.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Man..I just said screw it and peeled that sticker right off...!
Looks so much better now(y)

Reactions: Tom Bley
29461 - 29480 of 32004 Posts