AVS Forum banner

29481 - 29500 of 31004 Posts

·
Registered
26,640 Posts
Man..I just said screw it and peeled that sticker right off...!
Looks so much better now(y)
I was just about to suggest this:

Self Adhesive Headlight, Tail Lights, Fog Lights Tint Vinyl Film (Light Black)

Can be easily cut to the exact size of the original sticker. Put a layer or two of that over it, and the sticker should still be readable should you feel the need to, but shouldn't be noticeable or distracting otherwise. I put this over the front panel LCD displays for my DVR and other components to dim the read-outs beyond what the devices can do on their own.

I suppose peeling the sticker off works too. :)

Reactions: WOKNROX

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
JVC NX series with the DTM f/w is one of the most significant f/w improvements I‘ve seen with projectors. I am still awed by this projector and the DCR lens combo, even with SDR content (Natural), once you dial it in.

I’m wondering if JVC has a patent on DTM projector software.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
hi Azeke, from what i understand way DTM came about or at least the first iteration was working with panasonic. reading the meta data (i can only think of that word in Vincents voice ! ) , it was only the 2nd iteration that went dynamic with DTM with frame by frame and scene by scene... I wonder what involvement pana had in this or did jvc just go it alone past the 1st go with pana.

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
hi Azeke, from what i understand way DTM came about or at least the first iteration was working with panasonic. reading the meta data (i can only think of that word in Vincents voice ! ) , it was only the 2nd iteration that went dynamic with DTM with frame by frame and scene by scene... I wonder what involvement pana had in this or did jvc just go it alone past the 1st go with pana.
I think JVC pushed Panasonic under the bus when the announced their DTM at CEDIA last year. They were working with Panasonic on the optomizer with their UHD players and then DTM came out and JVC admitted that it was not necessary. I also think it will be difficult to patent DTM. I would think that Sony or others could make changes or do it
in a slightly different way to get around any possible patents. The good news is that JVC is still working to improve DTM with the new firmware. I would expect that Sony and others will have their own versions soon.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,787 Posts
You don't get the phone calls on a Friday night where a guy tells me he tried to update his projector and now it is not working. That it is locked up. I do get those calls. As I said, the risk is much smaller than it used to be, but it is still there.

If the risk is zero, why would JVC say they are not releasing firmware 3.11 to the public, because the risk outweighs the benefit, since the firmware is so minor. Very little to gain vs risk of a problem. Not everybody has a high level of computer skills.
Of those projectors that were locked up, how many had to go back for repair vs were able to be fixed with some specific steps provided?

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,787 Posts
With the current USB setup, no, but have had to get JVC involved and send a recovery program and get JVC on the phone with the customer to walk him/her through procedure to do the recovery and then do the firmware update. This is time consuming for JVC, dealer and customer. Last one happened on a weekend and I spent most of the night working out the issues with customer and JVC and getting customer back up and running.
Yea, see? It's not really a problem other than a problem with JVC's current software and processes. If it was fixable without being shipped in, it wasn't really a risk.

·
Registered
8,787 Posts
So i was wondering, i'm very protective of the whole system, so i like to put the lens cap on, could this be what is shifting the image, my fumbling with the cap? (call me crazy i also like to run an air purification device for an hour before starting the projector on the room).
Absolutely this can be doing it. Quit messing with that lens cap. It's not made to be put on each time the projector is used. It's a protective shipping cap only. The projector should be mounted and the lens cap put in the box and that's that.

·
Registered
8,787 Posts
I’m wondering if JVC has a patent on DTM projector software.
Patents need to be novel. The fact that oppo, lumagen, and madVR all had DTM before JVC makes this "prior art". This shouldn't be patentable.

·
Registered
97 Posts
So been worried about the current draw on the HDMI ports, so my USB HDMI power injectors that came with the RUIPRO cable don't work on my setup because the cable bumps into an adjacent HDMI plug.
So as stopgap i installed it on the display side, on the JVC but did not plug the USB in, my reasoning is that it should insulate the port right? and in case of problem not damage it.

So as final resolution this arrived today:

I'm now using the Lindy one and the C2G as backup for another device that i might need.
My Marantz has a dedicated USB power adapter, it's like they were aware of these needs and it's connected there.

Just saw a movie, and after it did the "Gemin Man" 4K60fps test and everything is working as normal, HDMI plugs were not very warm on neither side, so i guess it's working?

·
Registered
26,640 Posts
I bought one of those HDMI Voltage Inserters when discussion of them first came up. It seemed like a tiny expense for something that might help protect my equipment. But then further discussion of them in this thread has been all over the map. Some people say to install it at the source end, others to install it at the projector end. Some say to plug in the USB cable, others say not to.

The whole situation is very confusing and only convinced me not to use the thing at all.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I bought one of those HDMI Voltage Inserters when discussion of them first came up. It seemed like a tiny expense for something that might help protect my equipment. But then further discussion of them in this thread has been all over the map. Some people say to install it at the source end, others to install it at the projector end. Some say to plug in the USB cable, others say not to.

The whole situation is very confusing and only convinced me not to use the thing at all.
Power is delivered from the source side, so these cables should allways be installed at the source.

I installed mine in the display but disconneted from USB power just to try and isolate the power from the projector in case of problem, while a cable that worked for me arrived.

Now i took it off and have one installed at source side connected to USB to power the HDMI connector

·
Registered
JVC RS2000,Runco Q750,Hitachi LP-WU3500,DPI M-Vision 260HB,130in 2:35.1,MadVR,Pioneer VSX-LX503
5,306 Posts
Oppo never got to fix their tone mapping (which was not very good) and it was never really dynamic.
It worked well for rec. 709 but the bug prevented bt2020 from working properly. They probably would have fixed it if they were still in business. Such a shame. I had to sell mines but got close to double. Took that money, built a PC with MadVR and never looked back.

·
Registered
9,089 Posts

If your using it because the source cannot provide sufficient current for the load, then insert in on the source end and plug in the USB adapter to provide more current. This is the “normal” way of using the power inserter.

If the load does not need the power, then you can use the inserter as an isolator, on the projector end without the USB adapter.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Power is delivered from the source side, so these cables should allways be installed at the source.

I installed mine in the display but disconneted from USB power just to try and isolate the power from the projector in case of problem, while a cable that worked for me arrived.

Now i took it off and have one installed at source side connected to USB to power the HDMI connector
Using the device to isolate the projector makes a whole lot more sense than not trusting the source device voltage output

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26,640 Posts
If your using it because the source cannot provide sufficient current for the load, then insert in on the source end and plug in the USB adapter to provide more current. This is the “normal” way of using the power inserter.

If the load does not need the power, then you can use the inserter as an isolator, on the projector end without the USB adapter.
Thank you. That is much clearer than anything else I've seen in this thread.

Reactions: Dave Vaughn

·
Registered
9,089 Posts
Using the device to isolate the projector makes a whole lot more sense than not trusting the source device voltage output
It’s not a matter of trusting the source device voltage as such. The HDMI specification only requires 50 mA (0.05A) output on the 5V output, whereas a USB adapter can easily provide 2 or 3A.

·
Vendor
27,100 Posts
I think JVC pushed Panasonic under the bus when the announced their DTM at CEDIA last year. They were working with Panasonic on the optomizer with their UHD players and then DTM came out and JVC admitted that it was not necessary.
JVC had to make there product better if they could. Not to mention the Panasonic only makes things better with the video it enhances, where the JVC enhances every video feed you throw at it.

29481 - 29500 of 31004 Posts