AVS Forum banner

30921 - 30940 of 31987 Posts

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
from one thing i understand these jvc work in 12 bit ? if anything hdmi 2.1 could be beneficial in that regard am wondering not that am aware of lot of material in 12 apart from DV ? perhaps one day we will get DV on PJS with 12 bit ... dont expect it as a firmware update on the JVCs :D

·
Vendor
27,532 Posts
I've come close to buying the N5 twice
But I have to admit... I'm glad I didn't sell my calibrated X5000 (RS400, I think)
Even now, I keep reading about those vertical lines and stuff
Soon I'll change the bulb on the X5000 and I'm good to go for the next three years :)
I get 4K HDR from the Panasonic UB9000
There is nothing wrong with the older JVC's ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Probably a silly question, but is burn-in or uneven panel wear a thing with these projectors? Before getting my NX7, I watched all of my movies on a plasma TV, so was always careful about not watching too much scope content.

The way I understand it, the dark pixels in an LCD-based device are energized (to block the light). I know that burn-in can be an issue, particularly with IPS LCDs that are driven at higher pixel voltages (~2010 iMacs come to mind). Not sure if this applies to the LCOS/D-ILA panels that JVC uses though. If one were to use these projectors to watch nothing but scope content on a 16x9 screen for a full year say, would there be any irreversible panel wear?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
^^^ I've never had any issues like that with any of my previous or current (NX-7) JVC projectors.

Reactions: qpvh79

·
Premium Member
24,146 Posts
I imagine that flat-screen burn-in is because the pixels are the light sources, and LED's dim over time.

Whereas pj's light sources illuminate all of the pixels, which will therefore all dim evenly.

·
Registered
29,730 Posts
Probably a silly question, but is burn-in or uneven panel wear a thing with these projectors? Before getting my NX7, I watched all of my movies on a plasma TV, so was always careful about not watching too much scope content.

The way I understand it, the dark pixels in an LCD-based device are energized (to block the light). I know that burn-in can be an issue, particularly with IPS LCDs that are driven at higher pixel voltages (~2010 iMacs come to mind). Not sure if this applies to the LCOS/D-ILA panels that JVC uses though. If one were to use these projectors to watch nothing but scope content on a 16x9 screen for a full year say, would there be any irreversible panel wear?
Burn in is not an issue with LCOS projectors.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Perfect, thanks guys! I have a backlog of scope films that I need to rewatch on the really big screen, and it's going to be so nice not to have to alternate between 2.39 and 1.85 films (with overscan intentionally turned on to "enlarge" 1.85 to 1.78 so that it'd cover the entire panel. Frickin' plasma and all the pampering it required).

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
After watching Youthman youtube video on how to calibrate his JVC NX7 projector. I wanted to try this because it doesn't look that hard but where can I find info on here that can help me achieve this with my NX5 because I'm sure with the video editing there were some points that got missed?

·
Registered
559 Posts
What is the best for calibration spyder x pro or spyder 5 Pro. Thanks

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
After watching Youthman youtube video on how to calibrate his JVC NX7 projector. I wanted to try this because it doesn't look that hard but where can I find info on here that can help me achieve this with my NX5 because I'm sure with the video editing there were some points that got missed?
What is the best for calibration spyder x pro or spyder 5 Pro. Thanks
This video does not tell the whole story. If you Google JVC NX series calibration you will be taken to another forum where there is quite a bit of information on what is needed. The Spyder x or Spyder 5 is good for gamma calibration but can mess up color and is not recommended for this. You really need 2 meters to do it correctly.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Shootout of Sony and JVC projectors in Moscow on August 22 - Google Translate
what a decent even handed look at these projectors ! but wow what a romp home for the JVC N7 for the win :D

As they said the N7 being half the price of the 760ES there makes it quite a result.... they really should have compared with the 570ES I too think... but gives some great perspective overall between the brands....

·
Registered
98 Posts
This video does not tell the whole story. If you Google JVC NX series calibration you will be taken to another forum where there is quite a bit of information on what is needed. The Spyder x or Spyder 5 is good for gamma calibration but can mess up color and is not recommended for this. You really need 2 meters to do it correctly.
The other meter that is needed to do the autocal correctly, is it recommended to be purchased brand new or can it be bought used? It requires some kind of license?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Is this the correct meter to use for color?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,693 Posts

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
It’s interesting, this guy actually lucked out with his SpyderX for both color and gamma, it seems...maybe the result is if you get a “good SpyderX” or not, similar to the Spyder5 series...

30921 - 30940 of 31987 Posts