·
Premium Member
23,426 Posts
Found it. I couldn’t see it. I needed to put me glasses on. 2019-03

Reactions: Javs

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
Yeah I looked into the 3 also, and paid particular attention to the sampling, yeah its 10nm for all of them. I didnt see anything really compelling about the 3.
Not talking about the 3 (released in last January) but about the 3 Plus (released now). Main differences are 5,000nits peak brightness which is a plus if you don't calibrate only PJs but want to calibrate HDR panels too, as many are already beyond the 1,200nits of the 2/3. And possibly the wider aperture that might bring better repeatability, at the expense of a wider cone so larger patches. I like the fact that the i1pro2 has a very narrow viewing cone, I can use 10% patterns which suits my application with JVC projectors now that I don't use the Autocal anymore. So unless I read reports that the larger 8mm aperture is actually a benefit for PJ calibration, I'll pass on this 3 Plus as I passed on the 3. I couldn't see that it was faster, but it is significantly bigger and heaving, so it may be sturdier (and less sticky!).

Anyway, we're getting more and more off topic with all this calibration stuff and are probably boring many :)

·
Registered
484 Posts

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Not much I can suggest without seeing the results first.
Good morning Dom

As requested, Here is my i1Pro2 iris 0 log...I also just installed HCFR, so may switch back and forth between threads...I’m. Or sure why I’m reading 7005 for color temp this morning as I was able to get close to 6500 for my run with iris -4...Anywhooooo, any insights would be appreciated...

Attachments

·
Registered
9,285 Posts
Good morning Dom

As requested, Here is my i1Pro2 iris 0 log...I also just installed HCFR, so may switch back and forth between threads...I’m. Or sure why I’m reading 7005 for color temp this morning as I was able to get close to 6500 for my run with iris -4...Anywhooooo, any insights would be appreciated...
That’s what I’ve been saying for the last 5 months. Your eyes prefer a cooler colour temperature than the standard D65, so the calibrated setting looks red to you (and is indeed redder relative to the uncalibrated state).

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
That’s what I’ve been saying for the last 5 months. You prefer a cooler colour temperature than the standard D65, so the calibrated setting looks red to you (and is indeed redder relative to the uncalibrated state).
Thanks Dom, understood...i guess the only way I’m going to be able to tell is to see the actual plots in HCFR...as I’ve said I’m no expert but the red push does seem excessive and not sure it’s a personal preference thing...when I look at my calibrated iris -4 state vs the uncalibrated iris -3 state, the uncalibrated state still has good red push, just not overbearing like the calibrated state...skin tones should not be pink...with all that, I do appreciate your help and guidance...

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Because the glasses are going to cause a color shift from the filter used and the gamma is based on the peak white point, which has now changed. Simple color science. So completely different than viewing standard SDR material.
So if you've calibrated your projector, is 3D shown without using the result of the calibration, or is it just not guaranteed to be correct?

PS Couldn't they just have you put your 3D glasses over the sensor to do that calibration?

·
Registered
2,419 Posts

·
Registered
9,285 Posts
Could someone post a link to the HCFR thread? I'd like to run it before I do my first calibration just to see what it says about the state of my projector's color, so I can do a before and after to see what Autocal has done.
Running Autocal in Log Only will already give you a pretty good idea doc your projector’s current state. Of course, HCFR will give you more.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
1) Does Autocal's Log Only mode let you toggle back and forth to see the difference before and after?
For that matter, does a real calibration let you do that and then choose whether or not to save the result?

2) Several pages back, someone posted a video here with a calibrator who advocated using the Spyder X by itself for both gamma and color, which included in the video a page that showed a grid of colors each divided vertically between what it is being shown as versus what it should look like.

Did anyone here recognize which program that grid of colors came from? Was that generated by Autocal or HCFR?

·
Registered
9,285 Posts
1) Does Autocal's Log Only mode let you toggle back and forth to see the difference before and after?
There is no “after” when you use Log Only, as no calibration is done.
For that matter, does a real calibration let you do that and then choose whether or not to save the result?
It does show Before gamma and Before gamut, but not the Before colour temperature. That’s why I suggested running Log Only first.
2) Several pages back, someone posted a video here with a calibrator who advocated using the Spyder X by itself for both gamma and color, which included in the video a page that showed a grid of colors each divided vertically between what it is being shown as versus what it should look like.

Did anyone here recognize which program that grid of colors came from? Was that generated by Autocal or HCFR?
Not sure which specific post your referring to, but it could be HCFR (not Autocal for sure).

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
That’s what I’ve been saying for the last 5 months. Your eyes prefer a cooler colour temperature than the standard D65, so the calibrated setting looks red to you (and is indeed redder relative to the uncalibrated state).
I hereby officially fall on my sword...With the help of SirMaster this afternoon, we were able to do a walk through of HCFR to check the autocal results...before Autocal red sat was 89%...After Autocal red sat at 102%...you are correct Dom, for some reason my eyes prefer a cooler look and you were also correct about trusting the meter not my eye...after Autocal white point and greyscale tracking were much improved...a big THANKS to everyone who helped me out...Thanks Dom for your patience and a big shout out to Sir Master for a detailed walk thru today...Truly an AMAZING group of folks! Thanks again!

·
Registered
9,285 Posts
I hereby officially fall on my sword...With the help of SirMaster this afternoon, we were able to do a walk through of HCFR to check the autocal results...before Autocal red sat was 89%...After Autocal red sat at 102%...
The bottom line is that Autocal log and HCFR are consistent. Based on Autocal log you had to reduce the red gain slightly which would bring the red down from 102% to 100%

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
The bottom line is that Autocal log and HCFR are consistent. Based on Autocal log you had to reduce the red gain slightly which would bring the red down from 102% to 100%
Now that I know enough to be dangerous i‘ll simply Autocal the 3 modes or so I need to calibrate and am able to check results in HCFR, even tho there is no need to double check with HCFR, as you told me and I just found out...

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I've been perusing the HCFR thread and have to say that thread reads like an old MS-DOS manual. It isn't written for someone who just wants to try it out with even the most popular meters, the Spyder and the i1Pro2.

It isn't even clear whether it's necessary to load additional driver software to connect them! Any learning curve isn't just with the software but with the forum thread!

Old joke (from the early days of the PC):

Pilot of a two-seat helicopter lost in the fog sees a tall building looming, so he flies to a window where he sees someone working at a desk, waves and asks "Where am I?"
"You're 100 feet from me."
Hearing that, the pilot immediately turns and flies straight to his intended destination.
The passenger asks, "How did you know where we were?"
The pilot explains that the answer from the guy in the building was totally accurate but equally unhelpful, so it had to have been Microsoft headquarters.

There is no “after” when you use Log Only, as no calibration is done.
. . .
It does show Before gamma and Before gamut, but not the Before colour temperature. That’s why I suggested running Log Only first.
. . .
I'm not just talking about showing numbers but showing what the image looks like.

It would seem to be a minimum requirement of any calibration software to be able to let you see what you've done by showing the grey scale and the color triangle before and after side by side or toggled, and to let you toggle its effect on and off for the image of a disk in your player - or at least a color grid - before you commit to saving the result.

Otherwise, you're taking it all on faith.

Is the problem that toggling it back and forth requires re-programming the projector and takes so long that one's visual memory isn't good enough?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I hereby officially fall on my sword...With the help of SirMaster this afternoon, we were able to do a walk through of HCFR to check the autocal results...before Autocal red sat was 89%...After Autocal red sat at 102%...you are correct Dom, for some reason my eyes prefer a cooler look and you were also correct about trusting the meter not my eye...after Autocal white point and greyscale tracking were much improved...a big THANKS to everyone who helped me out...Thanks Dom for your patience and a big shout out to Sir Master for a detailed walk thru today...Truly an AMAZING group of folks! Thanks again!
Hey great, Asharma.

Makes me want to purchase an i1Pro2 and color calibrate my RS3000. I have the Spyder 5 and have used it for gamma calibration but have never color calibrated from out-of-the box. To my eyes, skin tones look OK but sometimes seem slightly too green to me. Sounds like this is typical and that a color calibration would warm things up a bit.

·
Registered
9,285 Posts
It would seem to be a minimum requirement of any calibration software to be able to let you see what you've done by showing the grey scale and the color triangle before and after side by side or toggled, and to let you toggle its effect on and off for the image of a disk in your player - or at least a color grid - before you commit to saving the result.
Don’t shoot the messenger. I was just describing what AutoCal can and cannot do.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I understand - I'm just expressing my consternation about being able to know what I'm going to be doing before I start!

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Hey great, Asharma.

Makes me want to purchase an i1Pro2 and color calibrate my RS3000. I have the Spyder 5 and have used it for gamma calibration but have never color calibrated from out-of-the box. To my eyes, skin tones look OK but sometimes seem slightly too green to me. Sounds like this is typical and that a color calibration would warm things up a bit.
I actually have the EFI ES-2000...reports in as an i1Pro2 and a lot less expensive...

Reactions: GregCh
31241 - 31260 of 31827 Posts