AVS Forum banner

31621 - 31640 of 35352 Posts

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
OK, but it would still make sense to use the same camera setting for the two pictures, without any difference in processing, as that would be what you see during an A/B.
I can post that, since I did use the same camera settings - the brightness tweak to equalize brightness for analysis was done in post processing. The on-the-fly comparison does suffer from the "brightness bias" you posited, but less than I had expected.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
OK, but it would still make sense to use the same camera setting for the two pictures, without any difference in processing, as that would be what you see during an A/B.
Here are the two images, calibrated and uncalibrated as it looks on-the-fly without post-processing to equalize its brightness with the calibrated image.

The difference in brightness is less than I would have expected from a switch from high lamp to low lamp. The first image is the on-the-fly uncalibrated, the middle image is the calibrated one, and the last one is the brightness-equalized uncalibrated image I posted earlier. As before, you can click on any of the thumbnails to get them to appear larger. You can then use the thumbnails at the bottom to slide between them - or you can click on the "play" arrow at the top of the screen to automatically switch back and forth and then click the checkerboard icon to go full-screen.
Uncalibrated on-the-fly.jpg Calibrated.jpg Uncalibrated brightness-matched.jpg

·
Registered
10,041 Posts
Ah, no it says it is “Datacolor SpyderX” , where do I go from here?
Right-click on it (in Device Manager), select "Update driver", then "Browse my computer for drivers", then "Let me pick from a list of available drivers from my computer". The select the appropriate one.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts

·
Registered
JVC NX5 at 140", Denon X4200W (5.1.2) with Axiom Audio speakers + Bass Shakers
2,316 Posts
Here are the two images, calibrated and uncalibrated as it looks on-the-fly without post-processing to equalize its brightness with the calibrated image.

The difference in brightness is less than I would have expected from a switch from high lamp to low lamp. The first image is the on-the-fly uncalibrated, the middle image is the calibrated one, and the last one is the brightness-equalized uncalibrated image I posted earlier. As before, you can click on any of the thumbnails to get to the enlarged versions. Click on the white checkerboard icon to make them full-screen and slideable.
View attachment 3045592 View attachment 3045593 View attachment 3045595
The difference should be 35-40% brightness between high and low lamp on JVC.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Then maybe you can switch to low lamp for your viewing :D
Considering that in nearly a year of use of my JVC, I've put less than 300 hours on the bulb, I don't think I need to worry overly about bulb life - at this rate, a bulb will last me what - seven years? I like the glowing line effects in sci-fi films like Doctor Strange and Captain Marvel, so I'll stand pat.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
In low lamp. He calibrated everything in low lamp.
Your’re in good shape! 103 nits, low lamp...must look spectacular!

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
The difference should be 35-40% brightness between high and low lamp on JVC.
The first of the three images is the uncalibrated low lamp image with no brightening, the second is the calibrated high lamp image, and the third is the first image with a bit of brightening to make it about as bright as the second.

Are you saying that the calibration dimmed the high lamp image so much that it reduced the brightness difference? Then imagine how dim the low lamp would be calibrated!

·
Registered
110 Posts
The first of the three images is the uncalibrated low lamp image with no brightening, the second is the calibrated high lamp image, and the third is the first image with a bit of brightening to make it about as bright as the second.

Are you saying that the calibration dimmed the high lamp image so much that it reduced the brightness difference? Then imagine how dim the low lamp would be calibrated!
I would love to calibrate my nx5
as you are doing but I have no idea how to get started and what to do
With jvc autocal. You seem to know how to get it done.

·
Rookie Member
235 Posts
Thanks so much, I will give that a try.
I am embarrassed to report that I right clicking on the datacolor spyder in the device settings does not bring up the driver change, but "create shortcut, troubleshoot, properties" I am doing this in the device properties panel. I use Macs so doing anything on a PC is new territory. Am I missing something simple?

·
Registered
JVC NX5 at 140", Denon X4200W (5.1.2) with Axiom Audio speakers + Bass Shakers
2,316 Posts

Autocal doesn’t necessarily dim the projector.

On the contrary, all 3 NX5’s I have autocal’d gained brightness from the color autocal.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
I don't know whether the difference in brightness I saw switching to low lamp from high to see the difference between calibrated (high lamp) and uncalibrated (low lamp) was the 35-40% you mentioned or not. I did see a difference in brightness but couldn't quantify it. It didn't seem to be the big deal everyone talks about - just a minor tweak.

I will say that I'm very happy with my calibration results using Autocal 12, the Spyder X, and the EFI ES-2000, the OEM i1Pro 2 (it even says X-Rite i1Pro Rev. E on its bottom plate).

·
Registered
10,041 Posts
I am embarrassed to report that I right clicking on the datacolor spyder in the device settings does not bring up the driver change, but "create shortcut, troubleshoot, properties" I am doing this in the device properties panel. I use Macs so doing anything on a PC is new territory. Am I missing something simple?
You need to do it in the Device Manager.

·
Registered
10,041 Posts
I don't know whether the difference in brightness I saw switching to low lamp from high to see the difference between calibrated (high lamp) and uncalibrated (low lamp) was the 35-40% you mentioned or not. I did see a difference in brightness but couldn't quantify it. It didn't seem to be the big deal everyone talks about - just a minor tweak.
30% difference is about 1/2 f-stop.

31621 - 31640 of 35352 Posts