AVS Forum banner

31661 - 31680 of 34000 Posts

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,313 Posts
Yeah my current remote app is more meant for HTPC users.

Building an app for iPhone and such requires a $100 a year license and a Mac computer to do the deployments so I didn't want to go that route.

But it makes me wonder if there is another way I could build a local web app (that doesn't use a remote server) to send network commands.
It seems unlikely. You either have to have a PC to send the commands and provide a web browser that your phone will use or you have to write something that natively runs on that device. You'll need an apple dev license and a MAC unless you want to submit it to the jailbroken ios world (I actually run bigboss, the largest jailbroken ios repository).

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,313 Posts
@SirMaster

Thanks!

It seem thst I need to run a software on a windows PC on the same network and than control the software by a webpage from my phone which in turns sends the signal to projector. Is that correct? On the face of it seems to be a complicated and probably an unreliable solution. I am going to try the IR extender route first. Looks like JVC doesn't have any control app which most of the AV devices on market in 2020 have.
You can use something like irule and add the commands yourself.

·
Rookie Member
228 Posts
You may want to try VMWare or Bootcamp. I’m going to use it next week for my Gamma Calibration with the Spyder X, and VMWare, status pending.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
Yes, I am using Bootcamp now to run Windows 10. My MacBook is vintage 2009 so maybe a problem?? I have sent back my SpyderX but I own a Spyder 5 that I can still play around with on v.11 of Autocal. I really have forgotten why I started this, (to check calibration on my low hours RS 2000 which looks great) what seemed like fun is now an obsession to get this just to work. OCD all the way

·
Registered
JVC NX5 at 140", Denon X4200W (5.1.2) with Axiom Audio speakers + Bass Shakers
2,185 Posts
It seems unlikely. You either have to have a PC to send the commands and provide a web browser that your phone will use or you have to write something that natively runs on that device. You'll need an apple dev license and a MAC unless you want to submit it to the jailbroken ios world (I actually run bigboss, the largest jailbroken ios repository).
I wouldn't say that's entirely true.

You can design a progressive web app (PWA) that when you do the "add to home screen" thing in Safari, they become entirely available offline, stored and run from a local cache on the device.

I'm imagining a website I host on my web server that you can go to, choose the buttons you want, in order to design a custom remote control interface. And then add the page to your home screen which will make it functional offline on the device.

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
I'm imagining a website I host on my web server that you can go to, choose the buttons you want, in order to design a custom remote control interface. And then add the page to your home screen which will make it functional offline on the device.
In iOS, you can add bookmarks to your home page. I am pretty sure that you cannot add offline web pages to your home page that execute any offline javascript code for example. Are you saying you can add some code to your web server that executes commands across the local network?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I am replacing RS2000. I am thinking of moving the projector out of HT to the equipment room behind the theater room. Projectors on shelf are not all that common so I don't want to embark on this route without seeking advice from people with more experience.

1. Is there any downside to putting projector on the shelf rather than mounted on a ceiling?
2. My current setup is screen 133" wide and throw distance 19'.2". This will add roughly 2' to the throw distance. How much does that impact the performance?

I do plan to add DCR lens in few months.

Thanks
As long as you provide adequate ventilation space/room, Shelf system works well. I use a shelf system with my RS3000. Works great.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
In iOS, you can add bookmarks to your home page. I am pretty sure that you cannot add offline web pages to your home page that execute any offline javascript code for example. Are you saying you can add some code to your web server that executes commands across the local network?
I am talking about Progressive Web Apps which are not just a bookmark, but a special kind of mobile app that runs in Safari.

For example: 2048 Game - Play 2048 Game Online

Add that page to your home screen on iOS or Android, and then disconnect from the internet and watch as the "app" and all its code work completely offline. It even looks like a full screen app without all the browser UI around it when it's in PWA mode.

The only question is, can I talk to the JVC from javascript in a PWA, and I am not entirely sure that I can yet.

·
Premium Member
23,673 Posts
As long as you provide adequate ventilation space/room, Shelf system works well. I use a shelf system with my RS3000. Works great.
Same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
I am talking about Progressive Web Apps which are not just a bookmark, but a special kind of mobile app that runs in Safari.

For example: 2048 Game - Play 2048 Game Online

Add that page to your home screen on iOS or Android, and then disconnect from the internet and watch as the "app" and all its code work completely offline. It even looks like a full screen app without all the browser UI around it when it's in PWA mode.

The only question is, can I talk to the JVC from javascript in a PWA, and I am not entirely sure that I can yet.
OK I see, but I don't think its possible to open an actual socket via javascript. The closest thing is a websocket, but that's not a real socket (needs a websocket server). So I don't think there's any way to open port 20554 and send / receive data.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
OK I see, but I don't think its possible to open an actual socket via javascript. The closest thing is a websocket, but that's not a real socket (needs a websocket server). So I don't think there's any way to open port 20554 and send / receive data.
Yeah I think you are right. It would have been neat if there was a way to make a PWA remote app heh.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi all,

I hooked up my NX7 a few days ago and set 2 install modes, first one being 2:40 for my scope screen and the other zoomed down to 16:9. I was under the impression that different IRIS settings would save for different install modes eg fully open when zoomed to fill my scope scren and then say -7 to get it roughly the same brightness when zoomed down for 16:9.

I am using Madvr so my colour space/profile etc do not change.

Am i missing something here?

Cheers

·
Registered
302 Posts
Reading the multiply mentioned article written by Kris (Hands-On with JVC’s New Theater Optimizer Function), I noticed this part:
And there’s also a new Auto color mode that allows the projector to automatically determine which mode you should be using based on the colorimetry of the input signal.
Also the JVC news says:
(3) Function which automatically switches to the optimal Color Profile according to the color gamut information of the content.
And just to be very clear, the above is different than this:
(4) Added Auto Pic. Mode Select function transitions according to each input signal (SDR/3D/HDR10/HLG).
So we are talking about swtiching to a different Color Profile, not Picture Mode. And based on gamut, not HDR flag.
I'm wondering how this is going to work... If I'm watching a standard full HD content (i.e. SDR BT.709) and then I switch to SDR BT.2020 material (like my satellite 4K receiver), how is the projector going to react? Is it switching to BT.2020 Color Profile, whatever is the picture mode you are using? If I have multiple BT.2020 profiles (e.g. with or without color filter), which one is selected? How is the picture mode affected? Most likely @Kris Deering can help me understanding.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hi all,

I hooked up my NX7 a few days ago and set 2 install modes, first one being 2:40 for my scope screen and the other zoomed down to 16:9. I was under the impression that different IRIS settings would save for different install modes eg fully open when zoomed to fill my scope scren and then say -7 to get it roughly the same brightness when zoomed down for 16:9.

I am using Madvr so my colour space/profile etc do not change.

Am i missing something here?

Cheers
That makes perfectly sense, why are you surprised? Smaller image is giving more light and you need to compensate with iris aperture. I have 6 installation modes with corresponding picture modes, where the only difference is the iris aperture level, from -12 (16:9) to -7 (Scope). I measure about 16ftL in each installation mode. Unfortunately this means more modes to calibrate! :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
That makes perfectly sense, why are you surprised? Smaller image is giving more light and you need to compensate with iris aperture. I have 6 installation modes with corresponding picture modes, where the only difference is the iris aperture level, from -12 (16:9) to -7 (Scope). I measure about 16ftL in each installation mode. Unfortunately this means more modes to calibrate! :)
Hi, what i am trying to say is that the IRIS stays the exact same when i switch modes?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hi, what i am trying to say is that the IRIS stays the exact same when i switch modes?
Oh Yes! Iris changes only when you change picture mode. Unfortunately I would say... Because this means you have to switch both picture and installation modes at any aspect ratio change. I solved with a Logitech Harmony.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Oh Yes! Iris changes only when you change picture mode. Unfortunately I would say... Because this means you have to switch both picture and installation modes at any aspect ratio change. I solved with a Logitech Harmony.
Well that sucks! Why is it like that? should be linked? Not a deal break i suppose its just another button to press on the remote :(

·
Registered
768 Posts
I am evaluating the purchase of an ESI ES-2000 for calibrating my NX-7. How stable is the calibration of these units? I see several available on eBay for around $400 that seem to have been manufactured in about 2013. I found some information on the manufacturer site that recommend annual calibration but also said 3-5 years between calibration was possible. In either case it seems likely that anything from eBay will need calibration. I also found a quote on the manufacturer site of $500 for calibration. That definitely affects the affordability and usefulness of this device if it is accurate.

I did go ahead and purchase a Spyder X for grayscale calibration but I am left wondering how reliable an ES-2000 from eBay will be,

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Are there any recommended settings to start with for RS2000?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I am evaluating the purchase of an ESI ES-2000 for calibrating my NX-7. How stable is the calibration of these units? I see several available on eBay for around $400 that seem to have been manufactured in about 2013. I found some information on the manufacturer site that recommend annual calibration but also said 3-5 years between calibration was possible. In either case it seems likely that anything from eBay will need calibration. I also found a quote on the manufacturer site of $500 for calibration. That definitely affects the affordability and usefulness of this device if it is accurate.

I did go ahead and purchase a Spyder X for grayscale calibration but I am left wondering how reliable an ES-2000 from eBay will be,
When you are looking at the certification information I think you need to understand the context.

First off, sending the meter in for re-certification does not change the meter. It only gives you a new piece of paper telling you the status of the meter and if it's still accurate, and how accurate. If it;s not accurate anymore that's a whole separate process and cost to get repaired.

Also you are talking about meter certification for color critical work for the content creation industry. Where it's very important that things are super accurate. You really don't need that level of accuracy and certification for personal consumer home use.

That being said, these meters have an internal self-correction feature. Before each use, they illuminate and measure an internal phosphor and will self-adjust if the reading has slightly shifted or give you an error if it is drastically wrong.

I have compared earlier versions of the i1 Pro (original model, not Pro 2) from circa 2008, to modern i1 Pro 2 from circa 2016, and the reading was the same. The dE was less than 1 difference. There is no reason that these units will shift over time by any noticeable amount (for personal home calibration).

You are paying $300-400 for the meter and it's given accuracy level. By all means, if you want that extra 1-2% accuracy (that if you ask me will be imperceptible to the naked eye on screen), then you can spend the $1000+ on a newer meter, but I wouldn't go that route for home projector calibration use.

Now if I was running a professional photo studio for instance and needed to calibrate my editing monitors and printers, I would consider the new unit and get it re-certified every few years.

31661 - 31680 of 34000 Posts