AVS Forum banner

31701 - 31720 of 31948 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,433 Posts
I usually wait approximately 45min-1hr, before any adjustments, as recommended in this forum.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
I watch a Doco like planet earth or blu planet to kill time before calibrating.

·
Premium Member
23,433 Posts
Anyone? Who had opportunity to test the beta? Thanks in advance!
Jue Liang and Kris Deering are the only two people that im aware that have it Paul. Though not sure they have the updated one with auto lamp update . Also not sure if JVC are adding anything else to it.

·
Registered
9,309 Posts
Was this just blind luck, or can it still work (and pass I1 Diagnostic) with a non original white ceramic "target" ?
Or does this throw the EFI totally off ?
The white tile is used for calibrating reflectance measurements (prints, textile etc.) and should not affect the accuracy of display calibration.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I’m using a 6050ub
Watching the Haunting of Bly Manor on Netflix I noticed that I got a much better picture turning off the HDR on my Apple TV

with HDR on dark scenes with fire or light in them got to dark and washed out because of the high lumens from the fire. Adjusting slider didn’t help

how does your JVCs handle the same scenes with its tone mapping? I get that it is superior but by how much? Are the scenes better with HDR tone mapping then they are in SDR without it?

For me with Epson these scenes are clearly better in SDR

with Blu-ray’s it’s another story though. Those I’ve seen with my Epson looks fantastic in HDR which is a bit weird. Deadpool and Infinity war

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
I’m using a 6050ub
Watching the Haunting of Bly Manor on Netflix I noticed that I got a much better picture turning off the HDR on my Apple TV

with HDR on dark scenes with fire or light in them got to dark and washed out because of the high lumens from the fire. Adjusting slider didn’t help

how does your JVCs handle the same scenes with its tone mapping? I get that it is superior but by how much? Are the scenes better with HDR tone mapping then they are in SDR without it?

with Blu-ray’s it’s another story though. Those I’ve seen with my Epson looks fantastic in HDR which is a bit weird. Deadpool and Infinity war
I have an NX7 and my wife and I are on the 5th episode of Bly Manor. I have had no issues with the DTM on HDR with this show. All the scenes look nice and clean with no issues with dark areas loosing detail or any part of the picture looking washed out. I felt no sense of having to adjust anything or trying to turn of HDR...everything looked fine and natural to me. I will say the quality of the video is fine but its not the best I have seen out of Netflix overall (this has nothing to do with HDR...just the way it was shot and the general quality of the video).

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
I have an NX7 and my wife and I are on the 5th episode of Bly Manor. I have had no issues with the DTM on HDR with this show. All the scenes look nice and clean with no issues with dark areas loosing detail or any part of the picture looking washed out. I felt no sense of having to adjust anything or trying to turn of HDR...everything looked fine and natural to me. I will say the quality of the video is fine but its not the best I have seen out of Netflix overall (this has nothing to do with HDR...just the way it was shot and the general quality of the video).
I have not experienced issues with the show with the NX7/DTM, however I am only on EP3 :).

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

·
Registered
475 Posts
Wonderful to hear! Now I’m jealous of your JVCs with the DTM :oops:

and yes, I agree. It’s not the best shot TV series

if you haven’t watched, The Boys on prime is truly amazing picture. Incredible sharpness and depth

·
Registered
475 Posts
It was a great update last year ... set forget...

Have helped 2 folks with epson ... you’ll be constantly playing with the slider without a dtm solution ...it is the way:D
It just looked better in SDR, at least this show with the Epson.

it’s weird though since the blu-rays I’ve seen with HDR looked great with the Epson

could it be poor mastering?

Could someone with JVC try and compare the same scene with and without HDR? How big is the difference?

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
It just looked better in SDR, at least this show with the Epson.
the problem with the epson ... and any projector without DTM is you could probably get the slider optimised for the scene... but the next scene that comes alone which is at another extreme looks all wrong... so end up playing with slider to try optimise... couldn't think of something more distracting to reck flow of a movie or show

a good example i remember with the epson was the Mathew McConnaughey scene in early parts of Interstellar... a knock out movie from the start. helping a friend with the Epson we adjusted the slider at the start of the movie... got to scene where Mathew is waking up its still dawn a very dark scene cannot see him :D we adjust the slider so looks reasonable .. and then another scene comes along in daylight just looks rubbish...groan... :D if can't do DTM via PC or external means (they are freakin expensive) maybe consider the fury method that forces DV DTM at source .. if this is a show watching via apple TV say... anyways be others am sure can talk more on this one... since getting the update on the JVC havent really explored any other DTM or static tone mapping methods..

·
Registered
475 Posts
I tried the slider on these scenes and none of the numbers worked good here

it was simply better in SDR
I’ll guess I’ll have to accept it and use SDR with these Netflix shows until the next projector upgrade :) but that will take some time! JVC certainly ain’t cheap

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
it was simply better in SDR
I’ll guess I’ll have to accept it and use SDR with these Netflix shows until the next projector upgrade :) but that will take some time! JVC certainly ain’t cheap
What are you using to feed Netflix is it atv4k ? Is it set to match source ?
Also what sort of nits are you achieving with epson with your screen and lamp power ? Is it close to 30fl/100 nits for hdr ... usually people composing with hdr just don’t have enough luminance ...

·
Registered
475 Posts
What are you using to feed Netflix is it atv4k ? Is it set to match source ?
Also what sort of nits are you achieving with epson with your screen and lamp power ? Is it close to 30fl/100 nits for hdr ... usually people composing with hdr just don’t have enough luminance ...
Yes Atv4k

I had it set to match source but since HDR didnt Look as good as SDR I turned it off. So now I have SDR only

I don’t know how many nits actually

I use a 1.1 gain white screen, 120 inch and medium lamp natural

·
Registered
29,706 Posts
I’m using a 6050ub

Series was a little slow, but all the HDR scenes looked good on my JVC.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I posted this link before. Maybe you did not click it, so here is the link and post from Kris:
Christie Eclipse Projector

"So I reached out to an industry professional that does grading and QC work for two of the major studios and asked about P3 color vs 2020 color on consumer releases. Here are his comments when I asked about stuff being graded in one or the other:

Me: "Hey XXX. While I know that all 4K HDR content is mastered in 2020 space, I also know that they've been pretty much limited to P3 within that space in terms of gamut coverage. Do you know if studios are starting to master content with color saturations that exceed P3 within 2020?"

Grader: "Most films are mastered in ACES which means they are colour space independent. Now issue is most are graded on a projector and that is probably p3. So despite been colour space independent nothing is going on outside p3. Some are now grading in wide gamut so some will be bigger than p3. Planet earth 2 for example is graded into full 2020 space."

Me: "Looking at waveforms it looks like there actually isn’t even a lot of content that exceeds 709 in saturation."

Grader: "True. In most cases there is no reason very few colours really go beyond p3 to push into 2020 it looks unnatural. Neon red is in 2020 and pink."

Me: "Seems like most are limited examples that are man made colors vs found in nature."

Grader: "Yes correct. The creature in the desert at night in ep7 it’s eyes glow red is in 2020"

So as I have already stated before, VERY limited in quantity of productions that use it, and then even less examples of actually exceeding it in that content given the nature of things that fall into that space. Again, I'm ALL FOR HAVING DISPLAYS THAT SHOW THE FULL GAMUT. Why wouldn't I be! But at THIS point in time, the odds of even seeing much, if any content that is truly outside of P3 is going to be VERY rare. Again, there are people that are doing analysis of 4K HDR titles that show how little content there is outside of 709, let alone P3. All for having a display that covers it though, and I'm sure as things progress we'll see more content take advantage of the larger gamut."
What determines the actual color gamut of the content? Is it the camera equipment the studio uses , or the work the grader does with the recorded content ?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Get a light meter abs check nits ... it’s also dependant on throw ... and might be surprised ...
Thanks! I dont think brightness output is an issue but my room is with white walls and ceiling. That destroys contrast in dark scenes which also have bright highlights

my Epson is really bright and I have it the closest I can get to the screen

it just doesn’t handle HDR as good as the JVC with its DTM

·
Registered
475 Posts
Series was a little slow, but all the HDR scenes looked good on my JVC.
Yes feel the same :)

great that it looked good on your JVC!
it could be that it’s only my room that messes up my dark scenes with HDR

I can’t know how big of a difference if a didn’t compare them in my room

31701 - 31720 of 31948 Posts