31721 - 31740 of 31946 Posts

·
Registered
29,705 Posts
Yes feel the same :)

great that it looked good on your JVC!
it could be that it’s only my room that messes up my dark scenes with HDR

I can’t know how big of a difference if a didn’t compare them in my room
My projector is calibrated and I have a Lumagen doing DTM.

·
Registered
475 Posts

·
Registered
29,705 Posts
ah ok!
Have you tried the JVC DTM? Is the Lumagen DTM much better?
No, because I owned the Lumagen, before JVC added DTM to the projectors. I have seen the JVC DTM many times. It does a very good job. The Lumagen is a little better, especially with the harder to handle scenes.

·
Premium Member
23,433 Posts
No, because I owned the Lumagen, before JVC added DTM to the projectors. I have seen the JVC DTM many times. It does a very good job. The Lumagen is a little better, especially with the harder to handle scenes.
Will the new upcoming update improve on the harder to handle scenes ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
29,705 Posts
Will the new upcoming update improve on the harder to handle scenes ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Since it can be customized to your specific setup, it should help improve all scenes. As to how much it helps, that will vary. If your system happens to be close to the brightness JVC based their design on, the improvement will be minimal. But for most people it should be an improvement.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Nice

It would be awesome to have something like the Lumagen

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Thanks! I dont think brightness output is an issue but my room is with white walls and ceiling. That destroys contrast in dark scenes which also have bright highlights

my Epson is really bright and I have it the closest I can get to the screen

it just doesn’t handle HDR as good as the JVC with its DTM
hi its worth still checking where its at... if it is indeed really bright and closest and with white walls etc its just going to be reflecting a lot of light off the screen onto the walls ceiling to then come back to the screen to destroy contrast...it might sound a bit counter but it might perhaps be worth exploring reducing the light output so peak luminance is more in the 30FL 100 nits territory... might improve contrast as well never know :)
Since it can be customized to your specific setup, it should help improve all scenes. As to how much it helps, that will vary. If your system happens to be close to the brightness JVC based their design on, the improvement will be minimal. But for most people it should be an improvement.
Hi Mike is it possible to know what brightness they have based their design on ? While we can’t input peak luminance either in FL or nits still/yet maybe we might have something to aim for in setup instead ? Are they expecting 30fl/100nits for hdr ? Seems to work well ...

·
Registered
29,705 Posts
hi its worth still checking where its at... if it is indeed really bright and closest and with white walls etc its just going to be reflecting a lot of light off the screen onto the walls ceiling to then come back to the screen to destroy contrast...it might sound a bit counter but it might perhaps be worth exploring reducing the light output so peak luminance is more in the 30FL 100 nits territory... might improve contrast as well never know :)

Hi Mike is it possible to know what brightness they have based their design on ? While we can’t input peak luminance either in FL or nits still/yet maybe we might have something to aim for in setup instead ? Are they expecting 30fl/100nits for hdr ? Seems to work well ...
Right now, I might be able to find out, but really it will be a mute point in a month. Because by then, the projector will be able to detect the brightness for your specific system and optimize it accordingly.

·
Registered
475 Posts

yea with bright images contrast is destroyed because of the white room. This is why I've been thinking of ALR screens but its out of my budget for now.

In darker scenes but with lots of deep colors the image is fantastic. Like in the dark and fire scenes in 1917. Looked amazing in Natural mode, medium lamp

·
Registered
966 Posts
Nice

It would be awesome to have something like the Lumagen
Lumagen and MadVR ( Envy ) will always be superior to build in solutions since they are dedicated boxes with powerful hardware , with that said JVC dtm is excellent and getting even better soon and will give you probably 90% of what lumagen and madvr will give you for absolutely zero additional cost!!

Reactions: AVTimme

·
Registered
966 Posts
Sorry this might be out of topic.
I always read that closing the iris on the JVC will increase the contrast, doesnt it lower the brightness for both the low end and high end at the same time ?
if anyone can explain why it increases the contrast would be very helpful.

Thank you

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sorry this might be out of topic.
I always read that closing the iris on the JVC will increase the contrast, doesnt it lower the brightness for both the low end and high end at the same time ?
if anyone can explain why it increases the contrast would be very helpful.

Thank you
As you close the iris down, there's less light scatter happening inside the optical system. So while the white level is decreased, the black level is decreased more. This is how you get more contrast.

·
Premium Member
23,433 Posts
Looking forward to the update

Reactions: alebonau

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Reactions: alebonau

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
just watched the vid...did I hear correctly it does not rely on metadata?
yep I heard it :D it does not rely on metadata....

and the low medium hight... are to be considered as auto low, auto medium & auto high...just to give opportunity to "season to taste" as Chris says...

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
yep I heard it :D it does not rely on metadata....

and the low medium hight... are to be considered as auto low, auto medium & auto high...just to give opportunity to "season to taste" as Chris says...
Also “one calibration per picture mode”...Did I hear that was for gamma and color? I wonder if the parameters are the same (eg. one gamma cal for each lamp mode and filter mode or is that now gone?). Would be good to get more details on this...also the video says only 2 meters supported SpyderX and i1Pro2...wonder if Spyder5 is still supported...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello, I don't know if that has already been said. but I discovered why there is a colorimetric drift when DI Auto closes and then opens.

When DI Auto this closes the brightness decreases, we have blacker black. To compensate for this loss of luminosity, the projector increases the gain of Red, Green, Blue. But as the red is often already at the maximum (probably because of the weakness of the standard lamps) it only increases the green and the blue. this is why the color temperature becomes with a tint of green \ yellow.

To do the test, if you turn off the color mode (max bright) and leave the gain of Red, Green, Blue at maximum, there is no longer any drift when DI closes, it is the color temperature native to the projector. but it is no longer D65 and cannot be used.

I don't know if it is possible (not yet tested) to get D65 by lowering the red also a little, this way when DI this closes the projector has the margin to increase the three colors and not just the green and blue. or a physical filter on the lens as an FL-Day filter

·
Registered
9,309 Posts
I don't know if it is possible (not yet tested) to get D65 by lowering the red also a little, this way when DI this closes the projector has the margin to increase the three colors and not just the green and blue. or a physical filter on the lens as an FL-Day filter
You can get D65 by lowering all three colours, but the effect would similar to lowering the Contrast setting, i.e., reduced maximum luminance and contrast ratio during normal viewing, when the DI is not closing down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the impression that the contrast is not linked to the RGB gain on the JVCs. I had tested with a patern of white. but maybe I am wrong. I will do other tests in the next movie

31721 - 31740 of 31946 Posts