AVS Forum banner

31921 - 31940 of 35363 Posts

·
Registered
10,050 Posts
Or could I use one of the meters I used with AutoCal?
Definitely, but you will need to use some software such as HCFR, CalMAN, or maybe even the software that comes with the meter.
See:

·
Registered
135 Posts
I ran into a funky issue with my RS1000. I put in Planet Earth II and it shows the logos and splash screens as it loads, then when it goes to the menu, the screen goes completely black. I can still hear the sound, but nothing is displayed.

I'm running the RS100 with a UBP-X800 and a Pioneer VSX-LX101. Using the suggested RUIPRO fiber HDMI cable (10m).

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I ran into a funky issue with my RS1000. I put in Planet Earth II and it shows the logos and splash screens as it loads, then when it goes to the menu, the screen goes completely black. I can still hear the sound, but nothing is displayed.

I'm running the RS100 with a UBP-X800 and a Pioneer VSX-LX101. Using the suggested RUIPRO fiber HDMI cable (10m).
Try switching your AVR to a different input once that happens and then switch back, to force a new HDMI handshake. I've run across a few 4K disks that are authored weirdly which that fixes.

Reactions: Jruc03 and dead2sin

·
Registered
135 Posts
Oh yea, I noticed that INITIAL SETUP & RECOMMENDED SETTINGS for RS1000/NX5 on the original posts was a little thin. Are there any updated suggestions for the NX5? Thanks all!

·
Registered
825 Posts
I had to install the Datacolor software for Spyder 5 Pro, which includes and installs the driver. I did not run the software, and closed the background monitor which may interfere.
The Winusb driver is only for the Spyder X, which I’m unable to test with my e-Shift projectors.
Dominic…with you’re tremendous tech abilities you should definitely be on the latest 4K native JVC PJ. (NX5-7?)
Do we need to start a GoFundMe page to make this happen? It would benefit all of the native 4K JVC PJ owners.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,571 Posts
Dominic…with you’re tremendous tech abilities you should definitely be on the latest 4K native JVC PJ. (NX5-7?)
Do we need to start a GoFundMe page to make this happen? It would benefit all of the native 4K JVC PJ owners.
LOL gofundme for a $5000 "toy"? What sort of sob story would one have to create that would possibly generate enough sympathy to buy someone a projector?

·
Registered
825 Posts
LOL gofundme for a $5000 "toy"? What sort of sob story would one have to create that would possibly generate enough sympathy to buy someone a projector?
This was just tongue in cheek :)... but you only have to create enough interest to support the cause. The benefit might out way the need for a sob story. Sometimes you just need a good cause to make something beneficial happen for the masses.

edit: btw: how dare you call my PJ just a toy. It's my most prized possession. :mad:...:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
595 Posts
This was just tongue in cheek :)... but you only have to create enough interest to support the cause. The benefit might out way the need for a sob story. Sometimes you just need a good cause to make something beneficial happen for the masses.
He may even raise enough to get a Rx9 ...... 😵

·
Registered
6 Posts
I picked up an NX5 a few weeks ago after my RS40 died. I am loving the upgrade. Most of the content I watch is on a 4k firestick. All Amazon UHD content plays just fine, but I am finding that only about 25% of Netflix UHD content plays in UHD. Most seems to come up under rec 709 which I assume means it fell back to 1080p and the projector then upscales it to 4k. Is there a setting I'm missing or do I need a different streaming device?

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I picked up an NX5 a few weeks ago after my RS40 died. I am loving the upgrade. Most of the content I watch is on a 4k firestick. All Amazon UHD content plays just fine, but I am finding that only about 25% of Netflix UHD content plays in UHD. Most seems to come up under rec 709 which I assume means it fell back to 1080p and the projector then upscales it to 4k. Is there a setting I'm missing or do I need a different streaming device?
A lot of Netflix 4k Content is SDR, and not HDR. So it has the 4k resolution but not the WCG that almost all 4k Blurays have. So, nothing wrong with your setup.

Reactions: Craig Peer

·
Registered
135 Posts
I am completely new to calibration, so I was curious if these charts for Gamma calibration looked sane or not. I'm using the Spyder X.

·
Registered
10,050 Posts
I am completely new to calibration, so I was curious if these charts for Gamma calibration looked sane or not. I'm using the Spyder X.
View attachment 3050077

View attachment 3050078
View attachment 3050079
The results look reasonable, although it would have been easier to assess if you calibrate with gamma 2.2 instead of ST.2084, since the result would be a diagonal straight line instead of the S-Curve.
The Color Temp reading is very high (7700K), but it’s impossible to tell if it’s due to the meter or the projector/screen.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The results look reasonable, although it would have been easier to assess if you calibrate with gamma 2.2 instead of ST.2084, since the result would be a diagonal straight line instead of the S-Curve.
The Color Temp reading is very high (7700K), but it’s impossible to tell if it’s the meter of the projector/screen.
Thanks for taking a look! I forgot to select Gamma 2.2. I'll re-run it with that.

The Screen is a silver ticket 120" 1.1 gain.

Also, what is the best way to mount up an i1Pro? Mine didn't seem to come with a threaded mount for a tripod.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Thanks for taking a look! I forgot to select Gamma 2.2. I'll re-run it with that.

The Screen is a silver ticket 120" 1.1 gain.

Also, what is the best way to mount up an i1Pro? Mine didn't seem to come with a threaded mount for a tripod.
I use a tripod-mountable selfie-holder designed for cellphones. This is the one I got for $10 on Amazon.

Because its sides are tapered, don't put it flat into the selfie-holder but instead put it in with one of its tapered sides against the back of the selfie-holder so the clamps have a pair of parallel surfaces (its front and back) to grab onto.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I use a tripod-mountable selfie-holder designed for cellphones. This is the one I got for $10 on Amazon.

Because its sides are tapered, don't put it flat into the selfie-holder but instead put it in with one of its tapered sides against the back of the selfie-holder so the clamps have a pair of parallel surfaces (its front and back) to grab onto.
I grabbed one for tuesday, but rigged something up so I could do a color calibration tonight :D Angle bracket and a drill for the quick and dirty mount.

P.S. Thanks for all the help from everyone here. I'm reading through the other JVC autocal thread now as well.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have the same/similar problem. I have only see it happen after the RS1000 has been on for ~3 hours (ambient air temp ~71F). After I watch an HDR movie, I switch to an SDR source and ~20-60 min later the screen appears to get much darker, but it's not actually the entire screen (see pic). It does not happen consistently, but it did just start recently. When I switch back to an HDR source the issue goes away. While watching normal programming, most of the screen appears to darken, but I waited for a full white background commercial to get a better idea of what was happening. Also, attached a pic of the blue background without an input.

--Hopefully we will get some help from the group on what is causing this type of issue. Thanks for the post!

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
After I had to swap my first NX5 because of issues, I haven't havent had my second one calibrated. Finally, tomorrow getting it done! After I saw that the new firmware wouldn't loose the calibration, I got word of a roadtrip from the calibrator since my buddy that used to do it is gone for the next few years.

31921 - 31940 of 35363 Posts