AVS Forum banner

31941 - 31960 of 33811 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Anyone here try to play the new IPhone Dolby Vision videos on their Projector yet? I have the new phone and have been testing the new videos on my Dolby Vision TVs and my current gen Nvidia Shields that support DV and they play ok for the most part (Plex has some minor issues sometimes with playback). I then tried it on my NX7 and found it doesn’t auto detect the files as a HDR format. It does detect the bt2020 color profile though but it still looks washed out some. If I manually switch to HDR 10 or Frame adapt HDR it actually looks over saturated.. the only profile that looks right actually is the HLG profile. I haven’t had a whole lot of time to test but trying to figure out how I can get my setup to detect these right so I don’t have to manually go in and change the profile every time I watch one of my iPhone videos.. I know our projectors don’t support DV but it should default to a lower standard I would have thought?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Anyone here try to play the new IPhone Dolby Vision videos on their Projector yet? I have the new phone and have been testing the new videos on my Dolby Vision TVs and my current gen Nvidia Shields that support DV and they play ok for the most part (Plex has some minor issues sometimes with playback). I then tried it on my NX7 and found it doesn’t auto detect the files as a HDR format. It does detect the bt2020 color profile though but it still looks washed out some. If I manually switch to HDR 10 or Frame adapt HDR it actually looks over saturated.. the only profile that looks right actually is the HLG profile. I haven’t had a whole lot of time to test but trying to figure out how I can get my setup to detect these right so I don’t have to manually go in and change the profile every time I watch one of my iPhone videos.. I know our projectors don’t support DV but it should default to a lower standard I would have thought?
I could be wrong, but I think the iPhone kind of DV is actually HLG with DV metadata added. It is another DV profile (8.4) to maintain some compatibility to non-HDR displays ( which is what HLG does ).

·
Registered
549 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think the iPhone kind of DV is actually HLG with DV metadata added. It is another DV profile (8.4) to maintain some compatibility to non-HDR displays ( which is what HLG does ).
i guess the question is, why doesn’t the projector recognize it and switch to a HLG profile.. maybe needs a firmware update? Not blaming JVC really, Apple has a tendency to do weird thing with video formats and encoding.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a few questions for the screen size experts and a mounting question.

Currently i have the projector mounted with the fine tune gear Chief system using the vaulted ceiling mount. My seats are finally going to show up hopefully next week. Im thinking i need to move the projector to the right to center them on the seats, which may be between the joists. its mounted on one joist now. I was looking at the Chief joist mount, but it doesnt look like it can work with vault ceiling? Is that correct, if so how would i accomplish that?

I also want to move the projector back. I currently have 21" between the back of the projector and the wall. Right now i'm at 19.75" from the projector to the wall im projecting to. I want to get to 180 or 185" in cinemascope, right now im at 177" with the anamorphic lens. How far back would I need to move the projector to get to 180" or 185"? Projectorcentral calculator says i should already be there, but that is not accurate, or im not using the calculator right, as im at max zoom and can't make it any bigger.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Try switching your AVR to a different input once that happens and then switch back, to force a new HDMI handshake. I've run across a few 4K disks that are authored weirdly which that fixes.
This is 100% an issue with the X800. I swapped in my Xbox One X and the handshakes were very fast and I had zero of the issues displayed with the X800. I used the exact same HDMI cable as well, so it must be the player.

Has anyone else seen handshake issues with the X800 and RS1000/2000/etc ? I'm really not looking forward to replacing the X800 -_-

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Does anyone else's fan rattle a bit on low lamp mode? Also mine makes a weird "warbling" sound every few seconds. It's only noticeable on super quiet passages but there none the less.

·
Registered
29,912 Posts
Does anyone else's fan rattle a bit on low lamp mode? Also mine makes a weird "warbling" sound every few seconds. It's only noticeable on super quiet passages but there none the less.
How close are you to the projector during the quiet passages? These projectors make all kinds of low level noises, up close.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Mike; pj is approximately 7' behind mlp.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I read here that the November firmware release will over-write custom settings. Does that mean calibration settings? Or are the changes sufficient enough such that a re-cal is needed anyway? Thanks...

·
Registered
29,912 Posts
I read here that the November firmware release will over-write custom settings. Does that mean calibration settings? Or are the changes sufficient enough such that a re-cal is needed anyway? Thanks...
It will not override calibration, but it will over ride user settings. Take pictures of your menus so that you can put back user settings.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Given that this series of projectors does good tone mapping, is there any value in buying the higher end UHD Players that do tone mapping as well or can we get away with a lower end UHD player as a result of the built in DTM?

If you were buying a UHD Player today, knowing what DTM does currently and that there is more good stuff coming in November, which would you buy and why?

·
Registered
182 Posts
What are the chances new firmware comes before Nov 10th? I got scheduled for calibration on Nov 10th. Will there be any major difference in picture quality if the calibration done using new firmware features compared to calibration done on current version ( and use the new firmware features on previously calibrated image)?

·
Registered
6,798 Posts
Given that this series of projectors does good tone mapping, is there any value in buying the higher end UHD Players that do tone mapping as well or can we get away with a lower end UHD player as a result of the built in DTM?

If you were buying a UHD Player today, knowing what DTM does currently and that there is more good stuff coming in November, which would you buy and why?
The need for the high end player has vanished unless you want to use them for an audio transport and value higher build quality.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
What mode do you all use and recommend for SDR? Natural or Cinema?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi,

I'm replacing my JVC HD-DLA1 1080p projector with the RS1000. The projector is here but it looks like I have some mount issues. The mount for my previous project is a Chief Mount but the part that connects to the projector which looks to be RPA 5GA9 US4 from 2008 doesn't have enough spread to match the holes on the new projector. My question is do I need to just a new plate (SLM281 | SLM Series) or do I need to get a new piece that connects to that which could be any of these MountFinder Search Results | Legrand AV. I'm assuming the pole that I'm using that goes to the ceiling, the CMS006009 is a standard pole that would work still. It sounds like those are all standard.

Thanks,
Sean

·
Registered
JVC NX5 at 140", Denon X4200W (5.1.2) with Axiom Audio speakers + Bass Shakers
2,183 Posts
What mode do you all use and recommend for SDR? Natural or Cinema?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
User1, D6500, rec709, 2.2 Gamma for SDR.

Frame Adapt HDR for HDR.

31941 - 31960 of 33811 Posts