AVS Forum banner

31961 - 31980 of 35384 Posts

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
After I calibrated my RS1000 this month, I compared the UHD and standard Blu-ray versions of a favorite film from the same package, and I decided that on the Blu-ray, the Natural setting looked closer to the UHD copy (on Frame Adapt) than did the Cinema setting.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
[Deleted as a duplicate.]

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
What mode do you all use and recommend for SDR? Natural or Cinema?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Tried both, ended with Natural most of the time. For Sports sometimes I use Cinema.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

·
Registered
609 Posts
When color temp is set at 6500k and gamma 2.2, what are the setting differences between Natural and Cinema that made them turn out different? Thanks in advance.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
When color temp is set at 6500k and gamma 2.2, what are the setting differences between Natural and Cinema that made them turn out different? Thanks in advance.:rolleyes:
I believe the colour profiles are different between the the two.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My dealer placed an order for an Rs2000 for me today, but was told it might be January before we received it due to a parts shortage. (I think he said it was the hdmi boards). Does anyone know anything more about this, and if it’s affecting all jvc models, or just specific ones?

·
Registered
JVC NX5 at 140", Denon X4200W (5.1.2) with Axiom Audio speakers + Bass Shakers
2,325 Posts
Why 2.2? There is no content mastered in 2.2 and the JVC has more than enough contrast to do 1886/2.4 properly. Curious why you'd recommend 2.2 with this projector.
It looks better on my NX5 at least to me.

I am not happy with the level of shadow detail at 2.4 flat and yes it's calibrated with i1 Pro 2 / i1D3 and I check 1-5% gamma cal measuring from the lens.

Perhaps I would be happy with a curve that has 2.2 near black and works its way up to 2.4 or so beyond 20% IRE, but there is no simple way for people to do this without a custom gamma curve.

But I suppose this can be personal preference, so set it to 2.2, 2.3 or 2.4, or do a curve if you are able to in one of the custom slots.

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
Perhaps I would be happy with a curve that has 2.2 near black and works its way up to 2.4 or so beyond 20% IRE, but there is no simple way for people to do this without a custom gamma curve.
You can get something very close to that by using Gamma 2.4 and bumping up the Dark Levels a few notches.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
You meant do a autocal with Gamma at 2.2 and set it at 2.4 afterward? Thanks:)
It doesn't really matter what gamma you are set to when running autocal from a calibration standpoint since it's calibrating the base gamma table, not a specific gamma value.

Though it makes the most sense to set it to 2.2 at least for the autocal run since that's what the log graph uses to compare.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
It looks better on my NX5 at least to me.

I am not happy with the level of shadow detail at 2.4 flat and yes it's calibrated with i1 Pro 2 / i1D3 and I check 1-5% gamma cal measuring from the lens.

But I suppose this can be personal preference, so set it to 2.2, 2.3 or 2.4, or do a curve if you are able to in one of the custom slots.
Have you tried an 1886 gamma curve to compensate for the low end?

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Have you tried an 1886 gamma curve to compensate for the low end?
Whenever I have tried BT1886 the near black seems to get too washed out for me.

I assume this is because my i1d3 is not good enough to read the true black of my JVC and throws off the proper curve.

I am not entirely sure I have seen an actually correct BT1886 curve yet heh.

What Dominic suggests is a nice compromise. Gamma 2.4, with about +2 on the Dark gamma control.

I understand plenty of people like 2.4 gamma, but it seems like I like it a little different. I guess I light brighter midtones as well as shadows.

I also believe that the gamma level that looks best sort of depends on your peak nits. The lower your nits, the lower gamma seems to work better. Maybe if I was at 100-120 nits I would like 2.4 gamma across the board more. I am at about 75 nits with my JVC bulb on high and iris wide open at the moment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What ceiling mount should I use for the NX5? The Sanus VMPR1B looked perfect until a review said it didn't work with JVC units (not sure if this is true). I've also seen the Chief RPMAU, but it looks like it's missing parts (like the ceiling plate and cylinder..)

·
Registered
30,261 Posts
What ceiling mount should I use for the NX5? The Sanus VMPR1B looked perfect until a review said it didn't work with JVC units (not sure if this is true). I've also seen the Chief RPMAU, but it looks like it's missing parts (like the ceiling plate and cylinder..)
The RPMAU does not fit the JVC. You need the custom plate for the JVC, paired with the Chief mount.

·
Registered
30,261 Posts
Where can I find this custom plate?
Any dealer that sell Chief mounts.
My dealer placed an order for an Rs2000 for me today, but was told it might be January before we received it due to a parts shortage. (I think he said it was the hdmi boards). Does anyone know anything more about this, and if it’s affecting all jvc models, or just specific ones?
The HDMI board is the same in all three models. My guess is the problem is just getting parts manufactured, due to covid-19. Right now it seems like everything AV related is running late and many items are just plain hard to get, due to demand being higher than supply. I had to wait 6 months to get my new screen, due to parts availability. Nothing was wrong with the part, just the supply chain could not keep up with demand. I am sure there are some dealers that will have these projectors.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
I ordered my NX7 in late July, and received it late September. It looks like your wait will be similar.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Any dealer that sell Chief mounts.

The HDMI board is the same in all three models. My guess is the problem is just getting parts manufactured, due to covid-19. Right now it seems like everything AV related is running late and many items are just plain hard to get, due to demand being higher than supply. I had to wait 6 months to get my new screen, due to parts availability. Nothing was wrong with the part, just the supply chain could not keep up with demand. I am sure there are some dealers that will have these projectors.
Thanks Mike. That makes sense. Maybe I shouldn't have waiting until after Cedia :)

31961 - 31980 of 35384 Posts