AVS Forum banner

33981 - 34000 of 35321 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
OK, thanks. Sounds bad indeed :(
Mine got repaired, so it’s good from there...as far as I know today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
600 Posts
If you live on the West Coast do your self a favor and use Kris D. It will be much easier and probably cheaper than buying meters and trying to do it yourself.
I just found his website and he is in Seattle with a starting price of $400 for any calibration, not including travel expenses to Los Angeles. How expensive are these meters? :oops:

Is there anyone actually in So Cal who is reputable?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Your description of your problem sounds like using the wrong color space - the Roku aquarium screensaver is SDR, and would look pretty bad if HDR settings were in effect. The changes from calibration, while nice, are much less obvious than what you're talking about. Upgrading to 3.50 so that the auto-switching doesn't get confused might be all you need for now. Give it a few hundred hours of runtime before you calibrate, since the bulb changes most rapidly during that break-in period and then becomes more stable (like with a new car).
It's hard to perfectly capture what I see on my screens in a photo but here is what I'm looking it.
LCD TV
PART_1606729055794_Resized_20201130_013513.jpg

Projector
PART_1606729099643_Resized_20201130_013134.jpg

The colors from the projector are super saturated and cartoon-ish which is most obvious here on the left side where the green coral is and the plant behind it. You might have to click on the photos to get the full size image to see it, because the scaled down version doesn't look as bad as it really is. In fact, no matter what I do the Projector version looks better in my browser 🤷‍♂️ but you'll have to trust me that it is unnatural and even looks more pixelated.

Is this what happens when you're looking at SDR in HDR?

If I'm thinking of the same screensaver, I believe that's just standard 709. Your NX5 can meet 709 and even get as close to around or over 90% of DCI P3. It's possible it's your TV that's showing inaccurate color or may need calibration. If your TV has a color setting called "Reference," it may be worth trying out. With color, sometimes our eyes become used to oversaturated color as being colorful even though it's inaccurate.
You've lost me. 709? DCI P3? I'm not following...

See photos above. The LCD might not be dialed in perfectly but this image on my projector looks alien.

I'm thinking this has something to do specifically with the screen saver because the programming on the Roku doesn't look all crazy like this. Whatever is happening here I'd like to get it fixed so the issue doesn't unexpectedly pop up when I'm actually watching something.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,570 Posts
It's hard to perfectly capture what I see on my screens in a photo but here is what I'm looking it.
LCD TV
View attachment 3061963

Projector
View attachment 3061964

The colors from the projector are super saturated and cartoon-ish which is most obvious here on the left side where the green coral is and the plant behind it. You might have to click on the photos to get the full size image to see it, because the scaled down version doesn't look as bad as it really is. In fact, no matter what I do the Projector version looks better in my browser 🤷‍♂️ but you'll have to trust me that it is unnatural and even looks more pixelated.

See photos above. The LCD might not be dialed in perfectly but this image on my projector looks alien.

I'm thinking this has something to do specifically with the screen saver because the programming on the Roku doesn't look all crazy like this. Whatever is happening here I'd like to get it fixed so the issue doesn't unexpectedly pop up when I'm actually watching something.
What's the info screen on the JVC show when that screen saver is on? Perhaps post a shot of that.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I thought of that, but am I about to lose brightness on it as north of 1400 hours soon?

I think instead I'll use the new one all the way down in brightness since will be hunkered in for a covid winter and would rather get a lot of great brightness for HDR viewing. Then, have the old one as a backup in case the new one blows early.
I'm also about to have a calibrator come in so figured a newer bulb was warranted to get the most out of the calibration.

Does this approach make any sense?
Did you reset the lamp hours? In that case the new theatre optimizer will never work properly with the old lamp, unless you don't put it back once having used the new one for the same amount of time.
If you instead have not reset lamp hours, you are not using properly the new lamp with TO. But you can put the old lamp back. If you are not using TO it does not really matter :)

·
Registered
10,031 Posts
LCD TV
View attachment 3061963

Projector
View attachment 3061964

Most likely that is the cause. Try switching the projector to the Natural picture mode when viewing the screensaver, and see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I agree with Dominic. While looking at the Roku screensaver, set your JVC to the Natural color setting. If that looks correct, then put on a source you know is HDR10 and confirm that your N5 is using an HDR setting, either "HDR" or "Frame Adapt." (N5, NX5, and RS1000 are all the same machine except for external cosmetic touches, like the decorative metal ring around the lens on the RS1000.)

If you're still on firmware 3.1, that should get the auto-switching synched, as long as that function is turned on. Just don't fiddle with HDR modes or SDR will use the next-most-recent HDR mode instead of SDR.

That's one of the most important improvements in firmware 3.5 - it lets you tell explicitly it what setting to use for SDR, instead of just switching to the next-most-recent mode used.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
That is misleading. In commercial cinema the content is mastered to 4096. In home video, content is 3840.
I'm not sure what you mean. Regardless of the media width the point of content and screen AR not being dictated by the panel resolution/AR stands. That's all I was pointing out. I don't see anything misleading.

·
Registered
30,250 Posts
I've been itching to ask, a negative gain screen in a blacked out room using a JVC NX9, HDR and all. I'm wondering how that'll look now --losing top end but getting better blacks, is that it?
It comes down to size and throw also. I have a 120" diagonal screen, close to minimum throw, DCR lens and a Lumagen. Brightness wise, I am in good shape. With new lamp, I can hit mid 30's with DCI p3 color filter in place. I run high lamp for HDR and even close down the manual iris a few clicks. I run low lamp with iris closed down some for SDR.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Did you reset the lamp hours? In that case the new theatre optimizer will never work properly with the old lamp, unless you don't put it back once having used the new one for the same amount of time.
If you instead have not reset lamp hours, you are not using properly the new lamp with TO. But you can put the old lamp back. If you are not using TO it does not really matter :)
Haven't upgraded to the new firmware at all, as using a Lumagen now.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Haven't upgraded to the new firmware at all, as using a Lumagen now.
With all your high end gear, I’m starting to think that perhaps, just perhaps, you are the real Darryl Sittler 😀

Reactions: john fusco

·
Registered
41 Posts
I wish I didn’t have to order a negative gain screen, but there are no positive gain acoustically transparent / woven screens out there ! I would benefit from the added brightness ...
I imported a 135" 2.35:1 Severtson cinema white microperf which is advertised as 1.3 gain and am very happy with it.

·
Registered
30,250 Posts
I imported a 135" 2.35:1 Severtson cinema white microperf which is advertised as 1.3 gain and am very happy with it.
If the fabric used was 1.3 gain, the screen at most would end up 1.17 gain or less. Perfing a screen causes light loss.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
They're color standards. To reiterate, so, if you have your projector in HDR mode colors but the source like that Roku screensaver is in a smaller color gamut like for SDR, then you'll get that oversaturated look like in your second photo.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
It comes down to size and throw also. I have a 120" diagonal screen, close to minimum throw, DCR lens and a Lumagen. Brightness wise, I am in good shape. With new lamp, I can hit mid 30's with DCI p3 color filter in place. I run high lamp for HDR and even close down the manual iris a few clicks. I run low lamp with iris closed down some for SDR.
Fantastic that you're getting mid 30 FL on that surface. Enjoy!

·
Registered
30,250 Posts
LCD TV
View attachment 3061963

Projector
View attachment 3061964

Yes. You are using HDR settings with SDR source.

·
Registered
30,250 Posts
Fantastic that you're getting mid 30 FL on that surface. Enjoy!
When you have a small room 11'-6" total width, you can't go too large on the screen. I could do HDR in low, but high lamp looks better and I don't see a reason to reduce the viewing experience to save a few dollars on a lamp. Too much money in everything else to cheap out on the lamp usage. :)

33981 - 34000 of 35321 Posts