AVS Forum banner

35361 - 35380 of 36074 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Yeah I have used a few SpyderX and compared them to the two i1 Pro 2 I have. They have always been quite close in my experience.

Can you get a bad SpyderX? Sure it's possible, but it's the exception in my experience, not the rule. The SpyderX are much better than the Spyder5.

I would run both Gamma and Color with the SpyderX, and then toggle your iris manually between the cut-off points to see the before/after color calibration results in various scenes and decide if you like what it's doing.

If you don't, then revert the calibration and stick with gamma only.

Of course you can add an i1 Pro to your tools if you want to go deeper.
For what it's worth, this has been my experience as well (with 2 different SpyderXs on 3 different NX projectors). The color results were very close to my own i1pro2, as well as my calibrator's Klein K10 (matched to his i1pro2).

·
Registered
921 Posts
Hi, thank you for the response. Projector is indeed ceiling mounted and room is always quite stable at 68-69 fahrenheit (20.5-22celcius). I live in Finland so during winter time i guess i could just open the door :)

Seems quite strange that dropping from 70f to 65f would change the way the fans work, as almost all rooms are around 68-69f so one would assume JVC would design their cooling to be optimised for that temperature, its not a huge difference from cooling point of view to drop 5f.. Anyway, i will will test this out, although i think i wont be able to get my living room under 20c.
If the sound of the JVC in high is bothering you, you might want to design a hushbox for it?

Reactions: N8DOGG

·
Registered
92 Posts
I know my following question is not very scientific due to the nature of equipment used (iphone 12 pro), but i am curious if my unit differs from others and are everyone getting same massive change in fan noise when switching from low to high. Basically i can hear my pj running in high lamp mode across the apartment - easily (like over 10m away.

Here are a few measurements i took 3-6cm from the front exhaust using DecibelX app:
Lamp in Low mode, AVG 44db. This is an ok level for me personally.
View attachment 3081358

Lamp in High mode, AVG 51.4Db.
This is over a 7db increase when changing to high, this means that projector becomes 2-3 times louder. This is so loud that in normal movie viewing sound is audible unless its an action scene and volume is up.
View attachment 3081359

Do we have other owners of this projector in the forum who could try the same? Is this level of increase in noise really normal? This is quite an expensive (and huge) unit, i would expect better noise control, it was surprising that previous Sony was so much better in this regard.

Thanks
Tuomas
Yes, I have noticed the same thing with my JVC RS2000. So much so that I am looking into making a sound block shroud to attempt to block the noise radiating into the listening area. Intending to experiment with poster foam board that can be bent and tacked up to the ceiling, maybe lined with duct liner, or similar. Keep the back side open for ventilation.

Kenreau

·
Registered
610 Posts
Yes, I have noticed the same thing with my JVC RS2000. So much so that I am looking into making a sound block shroud to attempt to block the noise radiating into the listening area. Intending to experiment with poster foam board that can be bent and tacked up to the ceiling, maybe lined with duct liner, or similar. Keep the back side open for ventilation.

Kenreau
Please update and share your experiments with lowering the noise level (y)(y)

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
I did contact my dealer today to explore my options and how to move forward. I am in no hurry as it works fine in manual iris mode. I will say their 3 years advance replacement warranty should come with an asterisk in my opinion. It sounds great on paper but when its time to honor it, they have to decide if you actually qualify for it (is the issue you are having severe enough to warrant an advanced replacement or do you need to send it in for their evaluation). I don't want to go into a big conversation about it but it happened to me when I first bought the projector and I know a couple of other AVS members have had the same experience. I'm sure if the unit was non-functional they would honor it right away but in other cases they have to make a business decision on how they will handle it and its not always advanced replacement.
A quick follow-up and have to give JVC props. I spent some time diagnosing the problem with them via several conversations and they have stepped up and are doing an advanced replacement of my projector (y)

·
Registered
30,410 Posts

Kenreau
You can't just have a box with an opening at the back and a hole in the front for the lens. That is a good way to cook your projector. The box needs to have fans forcing cool air in and fans pulling hot air out. If you just have fans pulling hot air out, the air will travel the path of least resistance. Meaning the exhaust fans would pull air into the box from the nearest hole, which would be the hole for the lens. You also want an alarm for high temperatures, incase something goes wrong, like a fan dies.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If the sound of the JVC in high is bothering you, you might want to design a hushbox for it?
i have considered this, but i have not figured out how make it ”living room friendly” visually. Would need to be a ceiling mounted box with dampening materials, optical glass and quiet fans for air flow. Not an easy task, at least not if we add pretty to the list of features.. needs a carpenter :)

i cant but wonder if there is a parameter somewhere in some hidden service menu to adjust the fan speeds like i had in my projector 15 years ago. Only a feeling but currently the airflow just seems excess.. would love to see the temperatures inside.

·
Registered
JVC NX5 at 140", Denon X4200W (5.1.2) with Axiom Audio speakers + Bass Shakers
2,459 Posts
I have found that simply putting a small amount of material like wood around the projector's vents (far enough away not to impede airflow and leaving the top naturally open) to prevent them from being within earshot of the listener goes a long way to reducing the loudness of the fan sound while not creating cooling problems.

Earshot meaning a direct path from your ear to the vent through air. Just putting some piece of wood in between your ear and the vent somewhere, anywhere is what seems to make a big difference IMO.

On my NX5 on high fan I really only hear loud sound from the front and rear vent on the lamp side of the lens which makes sense.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
What ultimately changed my mind was watching SirMaster's youtube video on AutoCal.
Can you link this video please? I have a Spyder X here still sitting in the box as Ive been too concerned to use it with all the negatives Ive heard on here regarding colour.

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
Can you link this video please? I have a Spyder X here still sitting in the box as Ive been too concerned to use it with all the negatives Ive heard on here regarding colour.
The Spyder X Gamma portion worked very well for me. I used the Spears & Munsil 4K UHD disc for color calibration. Just my $0.02 worth.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
The Spyder X Gamma portion worked very well for me. I used the Spears & Munsil 4K UHD disc for color calibration. Just my $0.02 worth.
Does that S&M 4K UHD disc only work for UHD colour? How does the colour correction on the S&M disc actually work? I have a S&M SDR 1080 older disc, is the colour section of that simialar, Ive never checked it out?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
Me as well. Skin tones were washed out in default out of the box, but autocal fixed it.

Looks great, but I'm getting it and my Lumagen professionally done in March.

·
Registered
30,410 Posts
Question about "factory refurbished" do those projectors come with new bulbs? How are they different from "new." Thank you.
Usually not a new bulb, but could have one. Though, I would not expect one. Usually less than 200 hours on the lamp.

·
Registered
9 Posts

One critique I'd make of the video is it is not totally clear which tables the calibration applies to. The variables that have different tables are
Lamp, high vs. low
Color filter, on vs. off
And various ranges on how open/closed the MANUAL Iris is in increments of 4

The DI is not taken into account, only the manual iris setting. This is why if you only calibrate the color table for Manual Iris setting of 0 and post calibration switch from -3 to -4, you'll see quite easily what the change in the color calibration is doing.

·
Registered
610 Posts
You can't just have a box with an opening at the back and a hole in the front for the lens. That is a good way to cook your projector. The box needs to have fans forcing cool air in and fans pulling hot air out. If you just have fans pulling hot air out, the air will travel the path of least resistance. Meaning the exhaust fans would pull air into the box from the nearest hole, which would be the hole for the lens. You also want an alarm for high temperatures, incase something goes wrong, like a fan dies.
Then what about making some soundproofing just the projector without touching either air inlet or outlet? Possible? Will that drop some decibels? Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
That is pretty large for this projector. You will want to be as close as possible to get the most light possible. Ask Mike Garrett or check out the JVC manual for minimum throw distance for that size screen.

For something that big, I think you need to think about getting an anamorphic lens for 2.35:1 and a higher gain screen.
Thanks - I was considering the higher gain screen but if the screen size needs to be smaller to get the best picture, I can definitely live with that

·
Registered
JVC NX5 at 140", Denon X4200W (5.1.2) with Axiom Audio speakers + Bass Shakers
2,459 Posts

One critique I'd make of the video is it is not totally clear which tables the calibration applies to. The variables that have different tables are
Lamp, high vs. low
Color filter, on vs. off
And various ranges on how open/closed the MANUAL Iris is in increments of 4

The DI is not taken into account, only the manual iris setting. This is why if you only calibrate the color table for Manual Iris setting of 0 and post calibration switch from -3 to -4, you'll see quite easily what the change in the color calibration is doing.
Yeah, given the time we had, it ended up having to be an introductory video to autocal rather than a full tutorial.

I would have liked to cover a lot more, but there just wasn't time to plan it out and shoot all that.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Yeah, given the time we had, it ended up having to be an introductory video to autocal rather than a full tutorial.

I would have liked to cover a lot more, but there just wasn't time to plan it out and shoot all that.
How about writing us a full tutorial for running autocal with the Spyder X for those of us who are a bit timid to do it for the first time? ;)

35361 - 35380 of 36074 Posts