AVS Forum banner

35441 - 35460 of 37678 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
So the DTM on these projectors is as good as a lumagen combo? Also is the nx7/nx5 with a lumagen comparable with an nx9 without?
This is all very subjective, so there's no 'right or wrong'. Here's my take:

I started with an RS400, and with the use of a Panasonic UB820, HDFury Linker, and imported custom gamma curves, HDR performance was adequate. But it left a lot to be desired.

I moved up to the NX7, and HDR performance was dramatically better. I had some time with both in my Theater to A/B them, using the same content, at the same time, and the difference was in fact 'night and day.' I showed this to my very non-technical wife, without saying which was which, and she immediately recognized the improvement.

This is where the somewhat subjective part comes in, but even with the NX7, I still had to tweak settings at times for different movies. Not a lot, but enough that it bothered me. And even some scenes within a given movie looked like they weren't optimally shown, relative to other scenes. Overall it was still quite good, but I still felt that I wasn't getting all I could out of my NX7.

I next got the DCR Lens, which added significant overall brightness, and provided the ability to instantly switch from 2.35:1 to 16:9, rather than using the 'Zoom' method. This was a very nice improvement, providing much more light to enhance HDR. But with it came some negatives. Specifically, it handled 2.35:1 through 2.40:1, and 16:9 Aspect Ratio shows and movies just fine, but with 'in-between' content, especially 2.00:1 and 2.20:1, there weren't any good options, and compromises had to be made to watch them, neither of which I really cared for.

I frequently use Subtitles, and with 2.35:1 content, with the DCR, they were often either partially, or completely cut off and not usable. This was mainly for streaming content, as my UB820 allowed me to shift Subtitles into the content area, avoiding this problem.

My next major upgrade was going with the madVR Envy, about 3 months ago. This has been a huge improvement, in every respect. It now seamlessly handles any and all Aspect Ratios, and has a newly developed ability to handle Subtitles, which works extremely well. And this is all handled automatically, no button pushes required, no user action needed.

And with its DTM, everything looks fantastic. I no longer feel any need to tweak settings, and can just enjoy the view.

Regarding getting the DCR or Envy (or Lumagen if that's the way you lean), that's a tough choice. Each is excellent on its own, but the combination, the synergy between them, takes my Theater to the next level.

Regarding NX9 vs NX7 + one or the other DCR or Envy/Lumagen, that's also subjective, and dependent on what one is willing to spend. For me, I chose the NX7 with the idea that combined with the DCR shortly after, that would give me more bang for the buck. In retrospect, I'd make the same choice. And as I said, when I then added the Envy, it took the overall theater experience to the 'next level.'

This is saying nothing negative about the NX9. In fact, if funds were unlimited, I'd get the NX9/DCR/Envy and be quite happy. But for me, I'm extremely happy with the performance I'm getting using the NX7 instead, feeling it gives me the better bang for the buck. But once again, this is a personal, subjective decision.

·
Registered
131 Posts
So the DTM on these projectors is as good as a lumagen combo? Also is the nx7/nx5 with a lumagen comparable with an nx9 without?
The DTM works very well. IMO just as good as madVR/lumagen. Some scènes are better with madVR but not worth spending 6/7/8k for the small differences.

Lumagens prime goal is to make HDR watcheble on a projector. Lumagen also does a great job with upscaling your 1080p movies.

You cannot compare the N5 with a lumagen with a N9. The N9 is playing in a other League.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The DTM works very well. IMO just as good as madVR/lumagen. Some scènes are better with madVR but not worth spending 6/7/8k for the small differences.

Lumagens prime goal is to make HDR watcheble on a projector. Lumagen also does a great job with upscaling your 1080p movies.

You cannot compare the N5 with a lumagen with a N9. The N9 is playing in a other League.
Would you say you would be able to tell a difference in sharpness with real 4K content between the nx7 65 mm lens and the nx9 100mm lens?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Would you say you would be able to tell a difference in sharpness with real 4K content between the nx7 65 mm lens and the nx9 100mm lens?
That would be a hard call....

I think it al depends on the movie or clip that is beeing watched.

I know 2guys who have the NX9 one of them prefur to watch with the eshift on (8K) to gain more sharpness, and the other one turns it off, because he thinks it is sharper without.

So i really dont know.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That would be a hard call....

I think it al depends on the movie or clip what you are watching.

I know 2guys who have the NX9 one of them prefurse too watch with the eshift on (8K) to gain more sharpness, and the other one turns it off, because he thinks it is sharper without.

So i really dont know.
I’m curious with the eshift off (just using 100mm 4K lens) how that would compare with the N7?

·
Registered
13,057 Posts
I’m curious with the eshift off (just using 100mm 4K lens) how that would compare with the N7?
My guess is the sample to sample variance would be greater than the native difference between the two models.

·
Registered
7,968 Posts
My guess is the sample to sample variance would be greater than the native difference between the two models.
I think it is more that sample variance. The NX9 has a far superior lens. That being said if you don't have a giant screen the differences might not justify by the cost.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Not sure if this is the right place to post ....
Have decided to go over budget and get an NX5

I'm looking to make the most of this projector in a 155" - 166" 2.35:1 screen space

Is there an ideal throw position considering brightness / zoom, etc
I have a 161" diagonal 1.85:1 screen with 1.3 gain (ST130) and it looks fantastic without an A-lens (in a completely light controlled room). HD is low lamp, 4k HDR in high lamp. I usually run optimizer on high for darker HDR movies. As Mike Garrett has mentioned, the bigger the screen, the less bright the image needs to be per unit of area. I even have the aperture dialed back on low lamp for HD material, it's just too bright.

·
Registered
463 Posts
i have considered this, but i have not figured out how make it ”living room friendly” visually. Would need to be a ceiling mounted box with dampening materials, optical glass and quiet fans for air flow. Not an easy task, at least not if we add pretty to the list of features.. needs a carpenter :)

i cant but wonder if there is a parameter somewhere in some hidden service menu to adjust the fan speeds like i had in my projector 15 years ago. Only a feeling but currently the airflow just seems excess.. would love to see the temperatures inside.
I need to run my RS3000 in high lamp for HDR, and it surprised me how loud it was when I first started turned it on. It is much louder than the sony 1000/1100ES that I was used to. The fan noise is my only complaint about the projector. The problem is that nothing else gives serves up that eye candy. I've ended up just cranking up the audio a db or so to drown it out. You'll get used to it for the most part.

·
Registered
13,057 Posts
I think it is more that sample variance. The NX9 has a far superior lens.
I know it has a superior lens however I'm not sure the difference would always be visible because of the variances found in different samples. The variance may well be beyond the additional sharpness the better lens provides. Bottom line the lens is probably less of a difference between the two models than the sample's variances based on panel alignment and whatnot.

Reactions: Aztar35

·
Registered
492 Posts
I know it has a superior lens however I'm not sure the difference would always be visible because of the variances found in different samples. The variance may well be beyond the additional sharpness the better lens provides. Bottom line the lens is probably less of a difference between the two models than the sample's variances based on panel alignment and whatnot.
100% the better lense will make a marked improvement

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Can any of you N7/N5 owners comments on these projection distance calculations:

This first claims I will need 364cm distance to throw a 110" picture using the N7, while the JVC calculator says 349cm.

~349cm is about the same as my current X30.

I am in the process of upgrading from a 92" screen to a 110" - I want to make sure that I can actually use the full 110" with an N7/N5.

My room is only 400cm on the projection lenght, and I will need like 50cm for the projector :)

·
Registered
30,716 Posts
Thanks for the reply mike. Understood regarding the sharpness aspect! What about HDR tone mapping and contrast and just picture quality? Same question, NX7/ NX5 with Lumagen vs NX9 without
Lumagen does not do anything to improve contrast. Lumagen does have better DTM of HDR. If you are talking 16:9 screen, I would pick the RS3000 over RS1000/2000 plus Lumagen. If you have a scope screen, I would go with RS2000 and Lumagen over RS3000. This is because Lumagen can do auto aspect ratio control.

·
Registered
30,716 Posts
Can any of you N7/N5 owners comments on these projection distance calculations:

This first claims I will need 364cm distance to throw a 110" picture using the N7, while the JVC calculator says 349cm.

~349cm is about the same as my current X30.

I am in the process of upgrading from a 92" screen to a 110" - I want to make sure that I can actually use the full 110" with an N7/N5.

My room is only 400cm on the projection lenght, and I will need like 50cm for the projector :)
The 365 is correct. The 349 is if you use full panel width and you should not use that with 16:9 screen. Also better have a few extra CM, for projector variance.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I really doubt that. Lens tolerances for these projector are very good. You might have the one in 100,000 gold sample NX7 lens and I would bet that it would still under perform the average NX9 just because of the size difference and the lens design. Now on a small screen you might not see a difference other than brightness but on a large screen you would be able to tell the difference.

35441 - 35460 of 37678 Posts