AVS Forum banner

37201 - 37220 of 37862 Posts

·
Registered
JVC NX-9, Marantz 7010 11.2, Audiophysic, Klipsch, Samsung UHD, NVIDIA shield, Seymour/SE
285 Posts
www.

Its 5AM my time , I have been up all night cause I am obsessed by this projector and trying to make it happen otherwise its the LG AU810PB . Black is not happening , But a little darker shade of the color I will do she wont notice. I will do sound proofing with those black foams where ever I see the light being reflected. The price I am getting the projector for and the one I saw , I think the salesman made a mistake. I think he showed me JVC DLA-X790R. It is 1k cheaper than the NX5. They are closed Sat, Sun and Monday. For this projector which is more important a dark side wall or a dark ceiling. I went down stairs it is pitch dark in there right now.
You will be ok with the ceiling just as it is. Flat grey is not a bad color as bright white. The recessed ceiling also helps a lot. I had one like that with bright white ceiling in my old home. As I posted earlier, the lights are gonna be your biggest problem and you have a solution for that. My suggestion is to get the NX series projector installed. You can always add the ceiling treatment later if needed.

·
Registered
314 Posts
www.

Its 5AM my time , I have been up all night cause I am obsessed by this projector and trying to make it happen otherwise its the LG AU810PB . Black is not happening , But a little darker shade of the color I will do she wont notice. I will do sound proofing with those black foams where ever I see the light being reflected. The price I am getting the projector for and the one I saw , I think the salesman made a mistake. I think he showed me JVC DLA-X790R. It is 1k cheaper than the NX5. They are closed Sat, Sun and Monday. For this projector which is more important a dark side wall or a dark ceiling. I went down stairs it is pitch dark in there right now.
Once you turn on the projector you will know how every little "bright" area in your room will reflect. My wife initially didn't want to paint the ceiling... when the projector fired up she was ok with it.

We went with a very dark blue (think night time).

·
Registered
19,510 Posts
Once you turn on the projector you will know how every little "bright" area in your room will reflect. My wife initially didn't want to paint the ceiling... when the projector fired up she was ok with it.

My wife didn't even know the theater was being painted much darker - I just waited until she was out of town for a few days on business. Then I just played dumb and waited to see if she noticed. She did. :eek::D

·
Registered
248 Posts
You will be ok with the ceiling just as it is. Flat grey is not a bad color as bright white. The recessed ceiling also helps a lot. I had one like that with bright white ceiling in my old home. As I posted earlier, the lights are gonna be your biggest problem and you have a solution for that. My suggestion is to get the NX series projector installed. You can always add the ceiling treatment later if needed.
Thank You
Feeling warm and fuzzy after reading this. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
My wife didn't even know the theater was being painted much darker - I just waited until she was out of town for a few days on business. Then I just played dumb and waited to see if she noticed. She did. :eek::D
I thought about that, blue or black is not happening here. Keeping it flat and a shade or darker can. Figured the sound treatment will cover the ceiling area right in front. Not sure how far back the lights would reflect from the screen.

·
Registered
372 Posts
When I turn on TO in my NX7, people's faces seem slightly more orange/red-looking than with TO off. How can I make adjustments manually? What I mean by manually is that I haven't had a professional calibration, I don't have a light meter, and I don't have a Lumagen or anything like that, so the only way for me to adjust it is "by hand." I do have the Spears & Munsil HDR disc however. My iris is usually -4, Auto2. SeymourAV UF material, 2.35, 113" wide, retractable. Thanks

·
Registered
JVC NX-9, Marantz 7010 11.2, Audiophysic, Klipsch, Samsung UHD, NVIDIA shield, Seymour/SE
285 Posts
Thank You
Feeling warm and fuzzy after reading this. I appreciate it.
Sargeant--I found some old pics from my last home in Indiana. You can not see it but this room had Bright white columns, Bright white doors, Bright white ceiling that was recessed. light brown walls and brown carpet. I did cover my white doors and columns with black curtain but no treatment on walls or ceiling. I took out the lights above the screen. Here is the same screen I am still using at my new home Seymour/SE EN4k white weave. It only has .9 gain as it is Acoustic transparent but even with my old Sony which was starting to have some contrast issues when these pics were taken, as you can see once the lights went off, the picture was fine. I did not have the JVC here but my NX-9 would have looked even better.
IMG_0061.JPG
IMG_0068.JPG
IMG_0070.JPG
IMG_0083.JPG

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ha, I had the same issue but then I showed the wife these stunning rooms with black ceilings
We had ours done in dc fix velour film, and she loves it. I did it before we got the JVC when I still had an Epson, and in some ways just going to the black ceiling was almost as big a jump as going to the JVC.
Love that ceiling! Now it's time to get a darker carpet:) Once I put down black velvet from Sy Fabrics, the contrast improved significantly and the lack of reflections / movement in my peripheral vision made the overall presentation much better.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Sargeant--I found some old pics from my last home in Indiana. You can not see it but this room had Bright white columns, Bright white doors, Bright white ceiling that was recessed. light brown walls and brown carpet. I did cover my white doors and columns with black curtain but no treatment on walls or ceiling. I took out the lights above the screen. Here is the same screen I am still using at my new home Seymour/SE EN4k white weave. It only has .9 gain as it is Acoustic transparent but even with my old Sony which was starting to have some contrast issues when these pics were taken, as you can see once the lights went off, the picture was fine. I did not have the JVC here but my NX-9 would have looked even better. View attachment 3119338 View attachment 3119339 View attachment 3119340 View attachment 3119341
Could you see an image with all the lights on.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Could you see an image with all the lights on.
Sargeant--That particular room had recessed ceiling spotlights above the projector and also in the viewing area. It also had side / back wall lights that could be dimmed as well as some floor lights that could be dimmed. I found that the ceiling lights above the screen had the greatest impact, hence I just removed the bulbs. The ceiling light near the viewing area was the second most offensive and finally the side/back wall lamps were the least impact. For sports or general TV type viewing, I would routinely have the side lights on somewhat and it did not mess much with the picture. But for movies, I tended to have everything off except the floor lights. This was a two tier raised viewing area, so floor lighting was a must to avoid trips. It did not impact the screen at all IMO. Interesting, the worst effect was the fact I had two bright white columns and a white door going to my equipment room. The light from the projector would light these objects up and not only hurt contrast but was nuisance because the eye would routinely move to those objects if the screen lit up much at all. After wrapping with velvet (my wife would not allow any painting!), those issues were gone. The reason this room was designed the way it was, "lot of bright white" is the previous owner had a 65" Pioneer Kuro Plasma that could be viewed in full light conditions. Also, there was a wet bar in the room, hence they used it a lot for entertainment.

·
aka jfinnie
5,221 Posts
Sometimes... it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, just wanted to get some suggestions. I currently have a 150 inch painted wall, used the gray color and painted some beadboard. The room is painted black also. So i got the craziest deal of 2021 from amazon. Got the elite screen 180 sable 2 series projector screen for $230 for used acceptable which i got lucky and its brand new basically. The question is should i try to do 170 inch screen or 180 if i could. I have jvc rs1000 which has 1800 lumens and my room has controlled lighting. Will the image quality degrade a lot if i do 180 inch or should i keep it at around 170. I have close to the 23 feet of room from back wall to the screen. Which should be almost good enough. The throw projection stated i need 24.9ft for 180 which i wont be able to do i guess. Should i try to do around 170 to 175 inch? Also will the image degrade a little? I am asking because i have no idea lol. Forgot to mention its a cinebright 1.1 gain.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I've been reading articles about the industry excitement over Godzilla vs Kong performing well in theaters. Does anyone here really miss going to the theater? My 17 year old son had his friends over to watch Godzilla on my NX9 and they all agreed it was a better experience than the movie theater. Studios releasing movies on streaming the same day as theaters has been wonderful! Disney released Mulan to streaming for $29 it did well enough that Black Widow will get the same treatment this summer. I didn't have any interest in Mulan but I'll pay the money to stream Black Widow and skip the theater.

·
Registered
19,510 Posts
I've been reading articles about the industry excitement over Godzilla vs Kong performing well in theaters. Does anyone here really miss going to the theater? My 17 year old son had his friends over to watch Godzilla on my NX9 and they all agreed it was a better experience than the movie theater. Studios releasing movies on streaming the same day as theaters has been wonderful! Disney released Mulan to streaming for $29 it did well enough that Black Widow will get the same treatment this summer. I didn't have any interest in Mulan but I'll pay the money to stream Black Widow and skip the theater.
Your asking that question of folks that have built home theaters. Wrong demographic. Of course most of us are going to say no. On the other hand, if you ask folks in a commercial theater " who wants to spend $20K - $80K or more building your own theater at home ", you will get a different reaction entirely ! :unsure:

·
Registered
13,057 Posts
The throw projection stated i need 24.9ft for 180 which i wont be able to do i guess. Should i try to do around 170 to 175 inch? Also will the image degrade a little? I am asking because i have no idea lol. Forgot to mention its a cinebright 1.1 gain.
I think viewing distance and preference comes into play more than anything else. I have a 135" 16x9 (1.25 rated gain) screen which I view from 12' and that's the maximum size I would want to go. Even now the image doesn't appear quite as sharp versus viewing a little further back and the brightness isn't overpowering (RS2000/new lamp). Not to mention my eyes can't focus on the entire image at the same time so I'm letting the wow factor override my ability to comfortably view all of the screen.

·
Registered
30,735 Posts
Sometimes... it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission! :)
I did not tell my wife I bought an RS4500 until after I bought it. She was fine with it.
I have a Harmony remote and can control the projector to turn on, but not off, it seems like.
My Harmony works fine for turning projector on and off. Just a single button push. Have done this for multiple JVC projectors. I think I still have the projector listed as RS600 in Harmony. Never bother to change it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a Harmony remote and can control the projector to turn on, but not off, it seems like.
I am able to turn my projector off and on with my Harmony. I've found that it occassionally fails to turn it off, so I created a phantom duplicate device to force it to send the OFF commands twice.

·
Super Moderator
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
10,370 Posts
You can turn off the projector via harmony. You probably need a macro that does power off, sleep 100ms power off. I'd probably repeat that 3 or 4 times to be safe.

37201 - 37220 of 37862 Posts